Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Musket posted:

Does Instagram have a HDR button? Im lazy and use VSCO then export to iphoto folder then import in instagram, and just upload without any filters.

it sort of has a clarity slider all the way to the right button.

but yeah if you follow the right people, instagram is pretty awesome. It's just rapidly become shorthand for internet potatographers to poo poo on things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Mr. Despair posted:

On the same note don't photograph bridges or mountains or other things that people have photographed before. What's the point! Might as well throw your camera away, really.
You jest, but I reckon there should be a moratorium on photographing the Bramante Staircase at the Vatican.

Beastruction
Feb 16, 2005

Pablo Bluth posted:

You jest, but I reckon there should be a moratorium on photographing the Bramante Staircase at the Vatican.

Take a long exposure while sliding down the railing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's a good technique to make star trail exposures without warming the sensor too much? 30 seconds on, off?
I do 30 second exposures with no rest in between. Not sure why, I guess I read that somewhere. No hot pixels though.

Hotwax Residue
Mar 26, 2010

Opals25 posted:

Not sure if this is quite the right place to ask, but I just had something weird happen to a picture on my Flickr profile and was wondering if anybody else had seen something like it before. I shared a picture to a group the other day and overnight it received almost 200 views, way more then anything I've posted before. Except for 2 views though they're all from unknown sources and not from Flickr. I've had pictures get posted on Tumblr before but they had a link back, and I don't think its a crawler since that's the only picture, not something like 1 or 2 on everyone. I've never seen anything like that before and was wondering if any of you might have seen that before.

This has been happening to me too lately, I've been getting some crazy spikes. I can't really shed any light on what is going on though.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
Yeah, I've had handful of photos accumulate like 5000+ views over a two or three day span. No comments or favorites, just a bunch of views. Who knows. Flickr is weird.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I've had strange spikes in views on my flickr photos before too. The last time it happened they all came from some site that seemed to index flickr photos to make them available in some photos widget used by various websites.

Does anyone have any pointers on what to do with timelapse photos? I was taking some pictures of clouds rolling around a mountain in the Shenandoah Valley. I set the camera to take a shot once every 15 seconds and took a few shots before realizing that I had no clue what to do with them in post. Could I have shot a little faster then stitched them together into a 30 fps video or something?

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
you guys ought to GIS your photo when you smell something fishy.

i've seen random spikes in flickr traffic sometimes for no reason, but often the flickrstatic link has been linked on some blog. It's nice to know about it.

Just go to http://www.google.com/images , click on the camera icon in the search bar, give google the image, and it's magic mystery algorithms will find where people have posted your image based on pattern matching within the image. Even if someone has re-encoded it (happens if someone downloads and uploads to imgur, for example), it will still find it.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Fake Ken Rockwell posted:

you guys ought to GIS your photo when you smell something fishy.

i've seen random spikes in flickr traffic sometimes for no reason, but often the flickrstatic link has been linked on some blog. It's nice to know about it.

Just go to http://www.google.com/images , click on the camera icon in the search bar, give google the image, and it's magic mystery algorithms will find where people have posted your image based on pattern matching within the image. Even if someone has re-encoded it (happens if someone downloads and uploads to imgur, for example), it will still find it.

Now that you mention it, it would be cool to have a browser plugin that added a "GIS this image" button to flickr.

uber
Apr 13, 2009

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Dren posted:

Now that you mention it, it would be cool to have a browser plugin that added a "GIS this image" button to flickr.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/search-by-image-by-google/dajedkncpodkggklbegccjpmnglmnflm

Even better!

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
GIS on all of my super-hit photos returns a bunch of Tumblrs, which is pretty much what I expected. I guess Flickr only counts actual clicks and visits from Tumblr, and views/reblogs/likes without clicks just get recorded as 'unknown'?

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

Shot in Professional ("P" mode) and Auto ISO, as I and my pro friends always shoot
If they rehost it, Flickr can't track it as a view, clearly.

But if they hotlink it, using the link on your actual flickr page (right click, copy image url), i think it counts as a view. I'm not entirely sure, they may have changed it.

I know if they do the full embed, it counts as a view.

I don't really know anything about how the tumblr system or community typically works.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
What is the Canon or other brand equivalent-ish of the Nikon D7000? I know there aren't exact matches, but particularly as far as ISO/low light performance and dynamic range. I have a Canon XSi with nothing but the kit lens and a 55-250 borrowed from one of my mothers-in-law, and I have some very old F-mount glass from a Nikon-FE that are great glass and fit the D7000, just manual focus. I got an adapter, but without a split prism focusing is a bitch through the super dim viewfinder on the XSi. I don't have any real investment (emotional or financial) in any particular brand, but want to at least compare similar options. I'm not planning to upgrade for a while, but deciding my next camera will give me an idea of whether I want to invest in Canon lenses or keep fooling with what I got, since there is still so much for me to learn even with a minimal kit.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
UK goons - there's a film on iPlayer about Erwin Blumenfeld, The Man Who Shot Beautiful Women.

Fake Ken Rockwell
May 13, 2013

quote:

but particularly as far as ISO/low light performance and dynamic range.

A can of worms is being opened here, but I do not believe that Canon has a APS-C sensor that competes evenly with the D7000 in these areas.

All of their 18MP sensors perform pretty equally, and none are going to be as good as the Nikon/Sony sensor tech. Canon is simply lagging behind in APS-C sensor tech currently.

Sensor differences are very minor for 99% of shooting situations, but if you are specifically looking for high ISO and low light performance and dynamic range, I would consider Nikon.

As far as camera features, when the 50D came out, they moved it down market and came out with a new, pro-grade APS-C camera, the 7D. I would say if they had kept the XXD line where it was with the 40D, the current version of that would be comparable with the D7000. But, today the 60D doesn't have the autofocus and build quality of the D7000. The 7D does, and more, and you can get a pretty good deal on them nowadays. So I think the D7000 sits between the 60D and the 7D, and you have to decide if you can get away with the lower build quality (it's not bad build quality, it's just polycarbonate on the top instead of magnesium alloy) and more consumer-like autofocus. Or if you need super burst speed and incredible autofocus, go with the 7D.

Fake Ken Rockwell fucked around with this message at 02:53 on May 20, 2013

Mightaswell
Dec 4, 2003

Not now chief, I'm in the fuckin' zone.

Valdara posted:

What is the Canon or other brand equivalent-ish of the Nikon D7000? I know there aren't exact matches, but particularly as far as ISO/low light performance and dynamic range. I have a Canon XSi with nothing but the kit lens and a 55-250 borrowed from one of my mothers-in-law, and I have some very old F-mount glass from a Nikon-FE that are great glass and fit the D7000, just manual focus. I got an adapter, but without a split prism focusing is a bitch through the super dim viewfinder on the XSi. I don't have any real investment (emotional or financial) in any particular brand, but want to at least compare similar options. I'm not planning to upgrade for a while, but deciding my next camera will give me an idea of whether I want to invest in Canon lenses or keep fooling with what I got, since there is still so much for me to learn even with a minimal kit.

Fake Ken Rockwell is correct. But in addition to his post, you should know that the Pentax k5 uses the d7000 sensor in a weather sealed body.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

If you aren't worried about super wide angle a micro four thirds body would be worth looking at too, you can get something with the om-d's sensor in a few different bodies depending on your budget. There's a few NEX cameras with similar performance for the same price as a d7000 too, and any of the mirrorless options will work and meter well with your older lenses, and I'd say could be easier to focus as well (assuming they aren't new enough to be AF-D, then a d7000 might be easier to focus :P ).

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

Mightaswell posted:

Fake Ken Rockwell is correct. But in addition to his post, you should know that the Pentax k5 uses the d7000 sensor in a weather sealed body.

And it's possible to improve MF by mounting a split-prism focusing screen, if you don't mind losing the spot-meter calibration.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Mightaswell posted:

They are the same wafer but far from being the same sensor. Nikon, unlike Pentax, has quality control.

:goonsay:

(Get an OMD or equiv)

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Ahhh, what the gently caress happened to Flickr?!

EDIT: Oh, there's another thread.

William T. Hornaday fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 21, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Dren posted:

I've had strange spikes in views on my flickr photos before too. The last time it happened they all came from some site that seemed to index flickr photos to make them available in some photos widget used by various websites.

Does anyone have any pointers on what to do with timelapse photos? I was taking some pictures of clouds rolling around a mountain in the Shenandoah Valley. I set the camera to take a shot once every 15 seconds and took a few shots before realizing that I had no clue what to do with them in post. Could I have shot a little faster then stitched them together into a 30 fps video or something?

I've been messing around with timelapses, there's a thread for it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3185188

I use Lightroom's "slideshow" tab, setting the time-per-frame to the minimum (0.1s, so 10fps), and all of the features (watermarks, shadows, transition fades, etc) off. Then I export to a movie format (MP4, I think). You can have LR add music, too.

This is the "babby's-first-timelapse" approach, there are certainly much better ways to do it. People will surely recommend dedicated video-editing software such as VirtualDub, I downloaded it a while ago but I haven't tried to do anything at all with it, yet.

Here's a recent timelapse of mine, showing the 10fps of LR combined with my mediocre-at-everything skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqJWVhpb7c

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

ExecuDork posted:

I've been messing around with timelapses, there's a thread for it here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3185188

I use Lightroom's "slideshow" tab, setting the time-per-frame to the minimum (0.1s, so 10fps), and all of the features (watermarks, shadows, transition fades, etc) off. Then I export to a movie format (MP4, I think). You can have LR add music, too.

This is the "babby's-first-timelapse" approach, there are certainly much better ways to do it. People will surely recommend dedicated video-editing software such as VirtualDub, I downloaded it a while ago but I haven't tried to do anything at all with it, yet.

Here's a recent timelapse of mine, showing the 10fps of LR combined with my mediocre-at-everything skills.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALqJWVhpb7c

Thank you, I didn't know lightroom could make a movie. I made a lovely timelapse with windows movie maker (it was awful) but I'll have to try it out in lightroom.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
edit: Hmm that's probably a better fit for the landscape thread.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Anyone else notice since the Flickr redesign that their daily views have plummeted? I assume whatever API was being used by sites using my photos has been changed too.

I used to have a very regular baseline of specific images being looked at every single day, but interestingly today only the photos I took last night and have pasted around in various places and threads have activity on them.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

There's this Kindle photography book that's free on Amazon right now: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3550710

It's worth buying even if you don't have a Kindle, since you can read it in your browser. Actually, a Kindle wouldn't really be an ideal way to read it anyway (unless we're talking a Kindle Fire), since the pictures won't come out very nice on a monochrome e-ink screen.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I have just received my Nodal Ninja 4 with the RD-16 rotator. I am having trouble finding the measurements I should use with my 85mm 1.2 LII and 50mm 1.2L and 24mm 1.4 LII lenses, the listing on the Nodal Ninja FAQ only goes up to the model below each of these lenses. Can anyone help me out?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
You don't look up the measurements you calibrate it yourself.

http://www.johnhpanos.com/epcalib.htm

I use the empty ball point pen on a table method.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
ah gently caress yeah. thankyou.... I couldnt find it.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

You might want to pick up an EZleveler II if you're serious about pano stuff with your NN. I use it when I'm doing 360panos and its great for making sure your shots are perfectly level for stitching.

http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/nodal-ninja-ez-leveler.html

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
What's the cheapest panorama tripod out there that would fit a Cannon T3i? I've taken all mine by hand so far, but the previous few posts have shown me there are better ways

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Panosaurus is around $100. Or you could take a shot at making your own for a fraction of that.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The basic nodal ninja kit is $220 shipped. You'll probably want the extension rails too. I thought about the panosaurus, but then I got a tax refund. I'm not sure what the ezleveler nonemorenegative mentioned does but I can confirm that leveling can be harder than you might think, even on a stable surface (I.e. the street instead of a bunch of rocks).

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Dren posted:

I'm not sure what the ezleveler nonemorenegative mentioned does but I can confirm that leveling can be harder than you might think, even on a stable surface (I.e. the street instead of a bunch of rocks).

If you look at the photo on the link i posted you can see three blue thumbwheels - basically it sits between your tripod and your pano head / rotator, and allows you to fine tune your camera level by turning one or two of the three thumbwheels while watching the bubble set on one top corner of the unit. Far better than fiddling with millimetre tripod leg length adjustments.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You might want to pick up an EZleveler II if you're serious about pano stuff with your NN. I use it when I'm doing 360panos and its great for making sure your shots are perfectly level for stitching.

http://www.red-door.co.uk/pages/productpages/nodal-ninja-ez-leveler.html

Don't really intend on doing 360's, and I would have thought photoshop would do a pretty good job of this even doubly so with the NN...?

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

William T. Hornaday posted:

Panosaurus is around $100. Or you could take a shot at making your own for a fraction of that.

Where can you pick this up? I was going to grab it but couldn't find it in stock anywhere.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sludge Tank posted:

Don't really intend on doing 360's, and I would have thought photoshop would do a pretty good job of this even doubly so with the NN...?

Even a couple of degrees off horizontal can make a 360 have a noticeable wonky horizon line - if I go out and shoot a virtual tour with ten hotspots that's 240 frames (each spot gets 4cardinal directions, a zenith shot and three nadir shots to mask out the tripod, multiplied by three HDR brackets), I want to do as little photoshop tweaking as possible, especially if the discrepancies aren't uniform across the ten spots.

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
An acquaintance of mine takes waterlily photos with very dark backgrounds, but there's a language barrier there, so it's hard to get a good answer when I asked her how she does it. The challenge is that waterlilies open up in the sun and close before the sun sets, so it's hard to get anything but direct sunlight on them, making for harsh light.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

aarp
Dec 22, 2004

#2 Hot Dog Club Member

unprofessional posted:

An acquaintance of mine takes waterlily photos with very dark backgrounds, but there's a language barrier there, so it's hard to get a good answer when I asked her how she does it. The challenge is that waterlilies open up in the sun and close before the sun sets, so it's hard to get anything but direct sunlight on them, making for harsh light.

My guess would be the use of a strong ND filter and/or polarizer.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ
Hope this is the right place to post this: I'm going to have a few photos for sale in a gallery. The photos are of buildings and has a small "(Name) Estate" on the exterior. Should I remove this? I would prefer to leave it in as it looks pretty cool but would like to be on the safe side. However, these buildings are on the other side of the world and I'd say chances that anything would happen are extremely unlikely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

unprofessional posted:

The whole thing just looks really underexposed to me. If you want light that isn't so harsh take a shade with you and hold it over the flower when you shoot.