Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's supposed to be after 3.

Welp. Absolutely zero drama then. What's the loving point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The mutant "cure" in X-Men 3 was only temporary. Wolverine doesn't want to just temporarily die.

Devour
Dec 18, 2009

by angerbeet
So now that Wesley Snipes is out of prison can we expect to see Blade in Avengers 2?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Devour posted:

So now that Wesley Snipes is out of prison can we expect to see Blade in Avengers 2?

There is always a chance of Blade being involved int he Marvel movie universe, but I doubt they'll fit him into the Avengers 2 plot or have Snipes involved. I think there was a passing mention of some interest in some Blade/Doc Strange/Ghost Rider action, but nothing beyond that.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Welp. Absolutely zero drama then. What's the loving point?
Yep, you sure nailed them. I'm sure those scriptwriters just completely forgot to make a dramatic storyline in this movie we barely know anything about.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
1. The cure wore off Magneto.

2. It's entirely possible Wolverine's healing powers would be too much for the cure.

3. SHUT UP.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Or the stuff they give to Wolverine in the movie has its origin in the X3 'cure'.

Jamesman posted:

There is always a chance of Blade being involved int he Marvel movie universe, but I doubt they'll fit him into the Avengers 2 plot or have Snipes involved. I think there was a passing mention of some interest in some Blade/Doc Strange/Ghost Rider action, but nothing beyond that.

Probably not much chance of Ghost Rider and Blade appearing in Strange's first film too, since Feige said part of the interest in adapting Strange is his origin story.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Just forget X3 ever happened and be happier all around.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TetsuoTW posted:

Yep, you sure nailed them. I'm sure those scriptwriters just completely forgot to make a dramatic storyline in this movie we barely know anything about.

Everything we have seen from the trailers has hinged on the Asian fellow offering to make Wolverine mortal. Something he could have easily accomplished during the events of X3.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Everything we have seen from the trailers has hinged on the Asian fellow offering to make Wolverine mortal. Something he could have easily accomplished during the events of X3.
So how was The Wolverine?

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...

jivjov posted:

Maybe Wolverine didn't want the cure back in X3?

People's needs and desires do change over time, ya know.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

Considering his depression appears to center around him killing Jean Grey (spoiler for X3 and The Wolverine trailer only), this appears to be likely.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

A Big Dark Yak posted:

Just forget X3 ever happened and be happier all around.

That could be the subtext. Logan cannot forget X3, represented by his memories of Jean. So he goes to a guy who can make him die, allowing his franchise to end. Then Logan realizes that people who wants his movies to die hates him, and that's not who you should listen to. "Screw the haters, there are fans who still love me and they want me to fight ninjas and giant robot samurai!"

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TetsuoTW posted:

So how was The Wolverine?

You realize that I said "from the trailers" in the very post you quoted, right? The Wolverine dropped from a "see it in theaters" to "rent it from RedBox" because there's suddenly no weight to what the movie's trailers are pushing as the primary point of conflict.

Jay Dub posted:

And he can go to a clinic and get the cure if he changes his mind. No need to end up in Japan and have some guy say "I can make you mortal!" as if its some big closely kept secret.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

jivjov posted:

And he can go to a clinic and get the cure if he changes his mind.

The most natural assumption, if this isn't addressed in the movie, is that at least this piece of X3 is not carried over into The Wolverine.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Devour posted:

Wesley Snipes was the worlds biggest piece of human poo poo during production of the last Blade movie. You can search the stories.

I think they would go with someone a lot less troublesome and cheaper, if they wanted to use Blade again.

I would really expect the character more in a Heroes For Hire, or Ghost Rider type movie and I think he'd fit in better.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Devour posted:

Not sure if Blade fits in proper with the current MCU. I'd prefer they throw Daredevil into the mix instead. Either way, Snipes is old hat. Need a fresh face for a new Blade movie.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Donald Glover as Blade, but he acts like Spider-man

horsepeen
Sep 21, 2010

Christian Financial Adviser

jivjov posted:

And he can go to a clinic and get the cure if he changes his mind.

I'm just speculating, but maybe he tried that but his healing factor negated it.

Or maybe people found out the serum really didn't work all that well after Magneto regained his powers.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

Wesley Snipes was the worlds biggest piece of human poo poo during production of the last Blade movie. You can search the stories.

I think they would go with someone a lot less troublesome and cheaper, if they wanted to use Blade again.

I would really expect the character more in a Heroes For Hire, or Ghost Rider type movie and I think he'd fit in better.

Michael Jai White. Make it happen.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

The MSJ posted:

Probably not much chance of Ghost Rider and Blade appearing in Strange's first film too, since Feige said part of the interest in adapting Strange is his origin story.

Maybe Ghost Rider caused the accident that mangled Strange because he was too busy doing this to pay attention to the road.

Supreme Allah posted:

Sticky Fingaz making his big come back.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I'm getting the impression that a)the X3 "cure" would have maybe negated his powers to the point where he would die instantly because of all the painful adamantium in his system and maybe this is something different, and/or b)Wolverine doesn't even know he gets the cure, because he seems pretty surprised that that gunshot in the trailer sticks around.

c) It doesn't matter because this is just the framework for this story, and it's more important that an old dying friend is offering it to him as a thank you for saving his life decades ago.

Hewlett fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 21, 2013

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

PaganGoatPants posted:

Michael Jai White. Make it happen.

Is there a reason goons suggest Michael Jai White for every single black superhero role, or

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Travis343 posted:

Is there a reason goons suggest Michael Jai White for every single black superhero role, or

Dude was pretty cool in Spawn back in the day. In most of his roles he's basically used as a bargain Wesley Snipes anyway, with the addition that he's not insane or w/e.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Jai White is an entertaining and decent actor for superhero roles. He is actually a skilled martial artist and fighter and last I know is still built like a brick shithouse.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Travis343 posted:

Only prominent black martial artist guy I know nowadays. Plus he's still in crazy shape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVKMujMDu4

PaganGoatPants fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 22, 2013

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

PaganGoatPants posted:

Only prominent black martial artist guy I know nowadays. Plus he's still in crazy shape. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JVKMujMDu4

Gatts posted:

Jai White is an entertaining and decent actor for superhero roles. He is actually a skilled martial artist and fighter and last I know is still built like a brick shithouse.

Error 404 posted:

Dude was pretty cool in Spawn back in the day. In most of his roles he's basically used as a bargain Wesley Snipes anyway, with the addition that he's not insane or w/e.

While all this is true, it is also mostly for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96Y24a0cyCE

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The MSJ posted:

That could be the subtext. Logan cannot forget X3

Well, if nothing else, we can all finally relate to Wolverine.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

You realize that I said "from the trailers" in the very post you quoted, right? The Wolverine dropped from a "see it in theaters" to "rent it from RedBox" because there's suddenly no weight to what the movie's trailers are pushing as the primary point of conflict.

And he can go to a clinic and get the cure if he changes his mind. No need to end up in Japan and have some guy say "I can make you mortal!" as if its some big closely kept secret.
Are you legitimately autistic? I don't literally think you've seen the film, my point is that trailers routinely omit details or even outright deceive, and yet somehow you've figured the whole plot out from what, 5 minutes of out-of-context footage.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

jivjov posted:

The adamantium surgery altered Wolverine's body in such a way that his body would reject the mutation cure. Japanese dude has a way to reverse that effect.

There, I just solved this entire problem with a tenth of a thought that the filmmakers probably put into this exact situation. If I did that in 2 minutes, imagine what the filmmakers might have come up with in all the time they've been working on it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Hollis posted:

I mean even though Wolverine: Origins was terribly plot wise I'd have hard time saying Jackman wasn't wonderful in it. I don't care I'll go see it because I love Hugh Jackman.

He did a Twitter Q and A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMtcdMifff0

How can you not love that man.

I like how often he talks about how great the rest of the cast is. I haven't seen the movie, obviously, so I have no idea how true that is, but it's a nice gesture.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TetsuoTW posted:

Are you legitimately autistic? I don't literally think you've seen the film, my point is that trailers routinely omit details or even outright deceive, and yet somehow you've figured the whole plot out from what, 5 minutes of out-of-context footage.

Not sure where I said I've figured out the whole plot. There is no tension or drama surrounding the plot points that have been revealed thus far. That makes me not want to waste my money at a theater.

Also, is the namecalling really necessary?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's zero tension or drama regarding the plot points in The Avengers and that's like your favorite movie ever. Also as he mentioned, trailers often omit stuff or deceive people. There's also been several possible explanations offered in the thread. Perhaps it's explained in the film.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 04:54 on May 22, 2013

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Joe Don Baker posted:

Perhaps it's explained in the film.

I sincerely hope so. Jackman makes a great Wolverine; I'd hate for him to be stuck with a second solo movie that's not that great.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Why the gently caress would anyone want to pick up where X-Men 3 left off? Just bury that mess and tell the Sniktbub story you want to tell.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Hanks Lust Cafe posted:

Why the gently caress would anyone want to pick up where X-Men 3 left off? Just bury that mess and tell the Sniktbub story you want to tell.

It's easier to leave the past behind than trying to your shoehorn your movie into some made up continuity that is already confusing people.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's kind of weird that their tying this in with Xmen last stand cause that film was not only not good but was made in 2006 which was 9 years ago. They're making a huge plot point of the film being him broken up over Jean's death but the movie it was in was 9 years ago. That doesn't make sense to me.

Like has he just been grieving and being homeless for 9 years since her death if it follows the same time line or is a few years after or what?

It's so confusing.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

jivjov posted:

Not sure where I said I've figured out the whole plot. There is no tension or drama surrounding the plot points that have been revealed thus far. That makes me not want to waste my money at a theater.
You're making a sweeping judgment about the dramatic value of the plot based on probably less than five percent of the film presented out of context. There have already been multiple possibilities offered - including that the guy who wrote The Usual Suspects probably understands how to write a film better than some autist posting in an Internet thread about superheroes - and yet you're somehow convinced they forgot that movies need to have some kind of tension in them.

Also you're not talking about plot, you're sperging over details.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I will again reiterate that the only judgement I'm making is about the plot points presented IN THE TRAILERS so far. The trailers, the devices meant to hype a movie, have completely missed the mark with me. Why would I want to see a movie that (APPARENTLY, BASED ON THE PRE-RELEASE TRAILERS) hinges on a plot point that was over and done with already in the most recent (chronologically) entry in the series?

Also, I'll ask again, is the name-calling necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

jivjov posted:

I will again reiterate that the only judgement I'm making is about the plot points presented IN THE TRAILERS so far. The trailers, the devices meant to hype a movie, have completely missed the mark with me. Why would I want to see a movie that (APPARENTLY, BASED ON THE PRE-RELEASE TRAILERS) hinges on a plot point that was over and done with already in the most recent (chronologically) entry in the series?

Because claiming that a movie has 'absolutely zero drama' based on a trailer's scant few glimpses at the plot and disregarding it entirely because of that is really stupid and doing stupid things is a bad idea.

• Locked thread