Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

iostream.h posted:

I was finishing On the Beach (again) in my favorite little restaurant today and the waitress, who has been working to improve her English took a few moments to sit and talk with me (I'm a regular, this isn't weird, I also bring the owner bottles of bourbon regularly because 'You are from Alabama, you know what good whiskey is' I love the place) and was asking me about it.

I finished up, picked up my bag and stood to walk out and she stopped again and asked if had a good ending and without thinking I just held it out and said 'You tell me'. She protested and said 'it's your book' to which I replied 'no, it's YOUR book, enjoy!' and pressed it into her hands.

Dear Lord, you'd have thought I gave her a block of gold, it was awesome. She actually smiled and hugged it to her chest and thanked me profusely. It was awesome. I have to do this more.

I've really been on a weird kick for the past few months to do stupid stuff like that, randomly paying for someone's groceries behind me (depending on how many they have), or just handing the cashier a $10-$20 and saying 'that's for their stuff' and pointing behind me, it's FUN and I've actually gotten yelled at a couple of times because 'I DON'T NEED YER CHARITY!' but gently caress it.

I don't really have a point except I feel like rambling on a bit and I want to encourage everyone to give books to people. I think I'm going to do it more!

On the one hand that's awesome. On the other I'm not sure if you could have possibly given her a book with a sadder ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

On the one hand that's awesome. On the other I'm not sure if you could have possibly given her a book with a sadder ending.
Oh believe me, I thought about that! I'm not sure how to make up for it short of giving her a happier book in the future (oh no what a horrible thought!).

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Anyone picked up David Sedaris's Diabetes with Owls yet? Waiting to hear if it's halfway good after feeling pretty burnt on his animal fables book.

Inudeku
Jul 13, 2008
Making decent progress through Watership Down and this book is seriously.... :allears:

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

hope and vaseline posted:

Anyone picked up David Sedaris's Diabetes with Owls yet? Waiting to hear if it's halfway good after feeling pretty burnt on his animal fables book.

I haven't read it yet as I have to finish a book for my book club first, but the NYT gave it a favorable review and I think it'll be very similar to his earlier books based on the two stories that I have read which will be in this book (one about stuffed owls and one about the dentist in France). I didn't care much for the fable book either so I'm really excited about this one!

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010
Anyone have a suggestion on where to start with Bukowski? I've searched and asked a few friends, but no on can give me a good answer. I want to get into his fiction first.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

I'm having a problem getting through ASOIAF, hoping someone can ease my mind with an answer keeping in mind that I'm only part way though the fourth book A Feast For Crows. As a small bit of backstory I burned through the first three books at an incredible rate early last year and particularly loved every bit of the third book. However...I can't retain my interest in book four. I've been stuck in the second quarter of the book since last summer, never having any interest in picking it back up again until recently when the third season of the TV series started up. It's gotten so boring. I can find myself interested in the chapters which still follow named characters but whenever I hit a chapter that doesn't follow someone of the main group it makes me want to shut the book then and there. Of my two friends who have read the entire series so far, one says that it gets a fair bit cooler and the fifth book is nice to get through. The other one has told me to not even bother. I was thinking of making a compromise and just skipping the chapters that put me off after a page or two, hoping that I won't miss anything crucial or that small details could be picked up in later developments. Can anyone who's read through all five so far give me an idea of whether or not that'd be a sensible approach to continue slogging through the series? Reading is supposed to be fun and I want this series to be exciting to me again :(

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Beardless Riker posted:

I'm having a problem getting through ASOIAF, hoping someone can ease my mind with an answer keeping in mind that I'm only part way though the fourth book A Feast For Crows. As a small bit of backstory I burned through the first three books at an incredible rate early last year and particularly loved every bit of the third book. However...I can't retain my interest in book four. I've been stuck in the second quarter of the book since last summer, never having any interest in picking it back up again until recently when the third season of the TV series started up. It's gotten so boring. I can find myself interested in the chapters which still follow named characters but whenever I hit a chapter that doesn't follow someone of the main group it makes me want to shut the book then and there. Of my two friends who have read the entire series so far, one says that it gets a fair bit cooler and the fifth book is nice to get through. The other one has told me to not even bother. I was thinking of making a compromise and just skipping the chapters that put me off after a page or two, hoping that I won't miss anything crucial or that small details could be picked up in later developments. Can anyone who's read through all five so far give me an idea of whether or not that'd be a sensible approach to continue slogging through the series? Reading is supposed to be fun and I want this series to be exciting to me again :(

http://towerofthehand.com/books/104/ - Detailed chapter-by-chapter synopsises (synopses?) so you can skip what you don't want to read.

The fourth book is a bit of a struggle, that's true. But I loved the fifth, I think it was second best after A Storm of Swords. So much cool stuff happens in book five. You might be pissed off by the dozen or so cliffhangers that won't get resolved until book six comes out in 5? 10? years though.

Beardless Riker
Apr 14, 2005

Thanks a lot! I'll use that to supplement my way through the rest of this one, and then on to A Dance with Dragons.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

screenwritersblues posted:

Anyone have a suggestion on where to start with Bukowski? I've searched and asked a few friends, but no on can give me a good answer. I want to get into his fiction first.

Post Office is probably his most famous. They're much of a muchness to my eyes though.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

screenwritersblues posted:

There's a great anthology called Run With the Hunted collecting excerpts from his novels, poetry and other writings that's a nice overview of his writing. I'd recommend it over one of his novels since it covers his entire career in chronological order, starting with his stories about growing up and ends with his book about Hollywood.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

barkingclam posted:

There's a great anthology called Run With the Hunted collecting excerpts from his novels, poetry and other writings that's a nice overview of his writing. I'd recommend it over one of his novels since it covers his entire career in chronological order, starting with his stories about growing up and ends with his book about Hollywood.

I brought post office when I was in the city today. So when I get ready to go to North Carolina this summer, I will keep an eye out for this one.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

Inudeku posted:

Making decent progress through Watership Down and this book is seriously.... :allears:

It's the most epic story about rabbits you'll ever read.

Count me in as one of those nerds who played The Witcher on PC, found out that it's a series of books/comics/tv shows/movies, and got ahold of the English translations of the two books released in the US. My question, though, is this: are the fan translations of the other books worth reading? It's a total bummer trying to figure out if/when the next book will be released in the US, but I don't want to read a crappy translation and have it ruined for me.

Has anyone read them?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Narzack posted:

It's the most epic story about rabbits you'll ever read.

Count me in as one of those nerds who played The Witcher on PC, found out that it's a series of books/comics/tv shows/movies, and got ahold of the English translations of the two books released in the US. My question, though, is this: are the fan translations of the other books worth reading? It's a total bummer trying to figure out if/when the next book will be released in the US, but I don't want to read a crappy translation and have it ruined for me.

Has anyone read them?

The next two official English translations come out in June and August this year.

http://www.amazon.com/Time-Contempt-Andrzej-Sapkowski/dp/0575084952/
http://www.amazon.com/Baptism-Fire-Andrzej-Sapkowski/dp/0575090960/

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
Here's hoping. I've seen the release date pushed from December 2012 to March 2013 and now to June.

Pendergast
Nov 11, 2012
Reading Beautiful Creatures. Not my favorite book so far, but it is keeping my interest. Dunno if I'll invest in the others. Library maybe.

I wannna try Watership Down. Might try the library.

SilkyP
Jul 21, 2004

The Boo-Box

Been reading some Paul Theroux after seeing a book of his on sale and wanted to know of some other good travel writers. I have read everything Bill Bryson has written and am a big fan of his as well.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

SilkyP posted:

Been reading some Paul Theroux after seeing a book of his on sale and wanted to know of some other good travel writers. I have read everything Bill Bryson has written and am a big fan of his as well.

I quite liked Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat. I got it in a crate with a bunch of Theroux books so that's maybe why I associate them. It's less serious in tone, more jovial, but as serious in topic.

Soundtrack To Mary
Nov 12, 2007

ZOMBY WOOF
I just skimmed through the Reading Challenge thread, and I saw that most people are shooting for between thirty and sixty books this year.

I mean...gently caress.

If I'm diligent, I can maybe get through 5-7 books in a year. Last year, I think I only got through 2. So, am I the one w/ the problem, or are they just completely insane/unemployed?

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Soundtrack To Mary posted:

I just skimmed through the Reading Challenge thread, and I saw that most people are shooting for between thirty and sixty books this year.

I mean...gently caress.

If I'm diligent, I can maybe get through 5-7 books in a year. Last year, I think I only got through 2. So, am I the one w/ the problem, or are they just completely insane/unemployed?

Either you don't spend much time reading, even when being diligent, or you just read slowly. I've got a job and other hobbies and I can still knock out a book a week at least, and I don't think I'm a particularly fast reader.

It also depends on what you're reading. If your two books last year were Ulysses and Finnegan's Wake, well that's going to take longer than someone reading the Dresden Files or some Tom Clancy books.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
Yeah, I'm shooting for 52 again, which for the last couple of years has been pretty close. I just try to make sure I read for a little bit before bed and also whenever I have a bit of free time during the day (e.g. on the tram, before class, at lunch).

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

I mean...gently caress.

I missed my goal of 52 by four books last year. I have a demanding job, two kids and several hobbies. For me, the trick is to read at least a few pages before passing out at night. I barely watch any TV, though.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I usually have two or three books on the go at once, so they pile up over the year without feeling like I'm trying to bang out a book a week or whatever.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I'm shooting for 52 and have watched less tv this year than in years and I'm loving it.

It's really not that much, I'm alternating between 'real' literature and Stephen King style stuff, so that helps a bit too.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

I mean...gently caress.

Eh, with me it's a little of both :haw:

Helps to be a fast reader though.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone tell me if Dan Brown's latest book has 1) a murder in the first chapter, 2) Langdon being woken up in the middle of the night in the second chapter, 3) a hot woman helping him, and 4) a chase all over some city?

I swear all his previous books have been like that, and I'm not giving him any money to find out for myself!

BrosephofArimathea
Jan 31, 2005

I've finally come to grips with the fact that the sky fucking fell.
I am going to jump to the assumption that the end of every chapter is OMG CLIFFHANGER... which gets resolved in the first sentence of the next one.

LANGDON WAS SHOVED FROM BEHIND INTO A DARK TINTED SINISTER LIMO.... and it was just his friend giving him some icecream. nm.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

joelcamefalling posted:

I am going to jump to the assumption that the end of every chapter is OMG CLIFFHANGER... which gets resolved in the first sentence of the next one.

LANGDON WAS SHOVED FROM BEHIND INTO A DARK TINTED SINISTER LIMO.... and it was just his friend giving him some icecream. nm.

I suspect so too. Very astute!

edit: I googled for spoilers, but found a review containing the first two chapters.

I was right!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-adventure.html

Someone, probably Dante, is chased off a roof and dies in the first chapter, and in the second chapter ...

Dan Brown, the hack posted:

Langdon bolted awake, shouting.

:argh:

brylcreem fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 15, 2013

art of spoonbending
Jun 18, 2005

Grimey Drawer

I mean...gently caress.

I'm with you, I work, have a life of sorts, probably drink too much... and I might get through 10 or 20 books a year. Sometimes I get on an immensely readable one like the Wool Omnibus which I can finish in a few days but most, while good books, are slow going for me. I also usually have a non fiction & fiction going at the same time which tends to drag them out.

I'm a slow reader though, I read with the voice of the narrator in my head and if I try to speed it up or skip half the paragraphs it seems disrespectful to the writer and I don't want to miss anything!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Would anybody be interested in a "Self Published Books" thread? Reason being I've been searching out for and reading a few no cost/low cost books on Kindle lately, most of which are self published, and there's actually some really good stuff out there. I'm reading books that hold up to some of the best publishing house material, but there's also a ton of crap out there. I think it would be good for people to be able to recommend the diamonds in the rough. It's a minefield though, so it would be good to share what everyone has found and help people steer clear of the dregs.

I tend to just read scifi books but I imagine there's all kinds of great books on Amazon that are in other literary genres, so I think there would be a utility beyond me just dropping a few names into the scifi books thread.

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Astroman posted:

Would anybody be interested in a "Self Published Books" thread? Reason being I've been searching out for and reading a few no cost/low cost books on Kindle lately, most of which are self published, and there's actually some really good stuff out there. I'm reading books that hold up to some of the best publishing house material, but there's also a ton of crap out there. I think it would be good for people to be able to recommend the diamonds in the rough. It's a minefield though, so it would be good to share what everyone has found and help people steer clear of the dregs.

I tend to just read scifi books but I imagine there's all kinds of great books on Amazon that are in other literary genres, so I think there would be a utility beyond me just dropping a few names into the scifi books thread.

Yeah... I would. I have about 600 books on my Kindle, all of them are free downloads from Amazon. I alternate between them and my "mainstream" paper books.

There is a good range of quality in their self published books. People should hear about all the great ones they are missing out on. This being somethingawful, I'm sure people are also interested in the horrible books too.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

I struggle with this affliction every day.

Joramun fucked around with this message at 21:37 on May 20, 2013

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

I mean...gently caress.

I have 22 of my 52 book challenge down now, even with work, computer games, TV, movies and what else takes away your time. Although it's admittedly mostly SF/Fantasy/Crime, which reads pretty quickly. I usually read 1-2 books a week - a few minutes before bed and a couple of hours each day on weekends and any time I find myself with a few minutes. The great thing with books (and with a Kindle especially) is that you can read basically anywhere, anytime, in the smallest junks or hours on end. Unlike movies or TV series, computer games etc., where you better free up a couple of hours to get through a big junk you can read just a bit here and there and still progress very quickly through a book. Not to mention if you stumble upon something so engrossing it keeps you reading through the night.

I miss my school years however, where I had 2 months of doing nothing in summer added - I could easily finish 20-30 books in this time.

Joramun posted:

I struggle with this affliction every day.

150 unread on my Kindle, 500-600 in my flat. I don't even want to add up all the money tied up in unread books. You tell yourself "I still have all these unread books, I won't have to buy another book for years!" and then you go and buy another 10 books...

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
Michael Deacon at The Daily Telegraph has written the most delightful piece of Dan Brown satire you'll ever read. It's a doozy.

AreYouStillThere
Jan 14, 2010

Well you're just going to have to get over that.

Joramun posted:

Michael Deacon at The Daily Telegraph has written the most delightful piece of Dan Brown satire you'll ever read. It's a doozy.

This is absolutely going in the break room at my book store, thank you!

Dr Scoofles
Dec 6, 2004

I had no idea he had a new book coming out until now. So, who here is going to read it so I don't have to? I'm guessing it's probably a bit like the plot of Seven, dudes being murdered in outlandish ways to match Dante's Inferno. Bets are on that Langdon is assigned some bizzaro role as Dante by the murderer who considers himself to be Virgil, guiding him through each stupid set piece.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Dr Scoofles posted:

I had no idea he had a new book coming out until now. So, who here is going to read it so I don't have to? I'm guessing it's probably a bit like the plot of Seven, dudes being murdered in outlandish ways to match Dante's Inferno. Bets are on that Langdon is assigned some bizzaro role as Dante by the murderer who considers himself to be Virgil, guiding him through each stupid set piece.

I read the Wikipedia synopsis (full plot synopsis with spoilers etc) and it's nothing like that. But it sure sounds dumb as gently caress. Especially the ending.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

I read the Wikipedia synopsis (full plot synopsis with spoilers etc) and it's nothing like that. But it sure sounds dumb as gently caress. Especially the ending.
WOW, the douchebag Umberto Eco ripoff certainly has outdone himself this time.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Sci-fi author Adam Roberts posted his review in the form of a poem:

Adam Roberts posted:

:1:

Midway through reading Dan Brown’s latest tome
I found me in a gloomy state of mind:
All Brown roads lead to bestbookselling Rome

(Or Florence, in this case). Being unkind
Is evidently a doomed exercise.
Dan Brown fans know exactly what they’ll find

And good luck to them. So the hardback flies
Off bookshop shelves, a fillip to the trade;
So who cares if one pseudish blogger sighs?

I crack the spine. Down into hell we wade.
Rob Langdon, with amnesia, in the buff.
Facilis descensus Averno said

Some writer guy, and this is facile stuff:
The very opposite of rich or stately
And yet I still press onwards, running rough-

-shod through: till pausing (p.280)
I ask myself: whither this onward slog?
This crumb-trail—what's Dan done for me lately?

And so I skip straight to the epilogue,
And find the answer to the mystery,
And close the book, and open up my blog.

:2:

I read it in a coffee shop, for free.
Two tenners is too costly for what passes
As a novel despite lacking novelty.

The plot is quick, the prose slow as molasses
Mysterious Villain’s called ‘The Shade’ which sounds
Like half a pair of plastic cheap sunglasses.

A chaff of Dante quotes are thrown around
Mixed with two tons of dumped-in explanation
And Hell is somehow Florence, underground.

Seems Dan is scared by overpopulation
But doesn’t think mass-murder is the key.
The answer’s somehow thriller-code notation

With charts and maps and weak-beer 'mystery'
Magic plague-stuff cached inside a vial.
AGES to solve one clue (hint: ‘Vasari’).

The famous poo-on-a-stick Brown prosey style
(I know reviews routinely make this point,
But still: Dan Brown’s prose—really, it is vile).

Dumb clues and QI-factlets pack the joint:
One time the clue-text’s printed spiral-curled
Another ‘clue’ hoofs Reader in the groin: it

is “In this place and on this date, the world
Was changed for ever” —and that date is—what?
TOMORROW! Wow. With this we’re hurled

(By ‘hurled’ I mean ‘sicked-up’) into a fraught
Race-contra-time that time can never win.
I'm glad my copy's borrowed and not bought.

You’ll never get the hours back again
That you spent reading this. Mind you, my job,
Is reading books—I really can’t complain:

It’ll fob off only those who value fob.
Maybe the coming film will cast Will Farrell
Instead of dough-faced Hanks as hero, Rob.

From Langdon’s bloodstained tweed apparel
At the beginning, to p.461,
Reviewing this is shooting fish-in-barrel.

:drat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Dr Scoofles posted:

I saw a display of them at a supermarket. The tagline is something like "Seven circles, one killer," it's got a picture of Dante on the cover and the jacket copy made a point of saying the hero has an IQ of 204. Basically it's a cool summer read