Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Well, good thing I don't gamble, or I'd have lost all my money. I was so sure this was Elan's curtain call. Still, this was some good character development for him, and frankly, I'm glad I was wrong. Er...does he still have Oracle Immunity after all this, do you think? After all, this clearly wasn't an actual ending, but then again..

I doubt it. This wasn't a happy ending for Elan, it was Elan realizing that he can't have that particular happy ending. Which I guess is a path towards him getting a real happy ending but the specific wording of the prophecy ("for you") makes it unlikely this nullifies that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Well, good thing I don't gamble, or I'd have lost all my money. I was so sure this was Elan's curtain call. Still, this was some good character development for him, and frankly, I'm glad I was wrong. Er...does he still have Oracle Immunity after all this, do you think? After all, this clearly wasn't an actual ending, but then again...
Because it was Elan himself who realised how fake this happy ending was, I'd be disappointed if Elan didn't get a true happy ending. However now since it's established that Elan's expectations about what makes a happy ending are suitably diminished, it could be a whole lot more bittersweet than what a more naive Elan would be expecting. In particular I think it might be leading up to a nasty end soon for either Tarquin and/or Nale.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I wonder how this will work with Elan's former plan of what to do about Tarquin. If he just realized that he was hopelessly naive before then his plan was probably also naive.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Broker 'died' and thinks he's having a great time slaughtering/taking over the entire chaotic evil afterlife.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 21, 2013

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
First we see V's mind broken by his accidental genocide, then Roy completely disillusioned after Durkon's death, now Elan growing up and facing what his family really is...goddamn, Burlew, this has been a rough loving ride.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Ah, autocorrect. :allears:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Wolfsheim posted:

First we see V's mind broken by his accidental genocide, then Roy completely disillusioned after Durkon's death, now Elan growing up and facing what his family really is...goddamn, Burlew, this has been a rough loving ride.

Don't forget Belkar. Who has learnt that fake character development eventually becomes real character development.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I guess the spell puts people in a shared illusion, but Belkar's idea of the perfect outcome is so different from the others' that even epic throws its hands up and says, you know what, fine, that guy gets his own.

Which does imply that Belkar getting killed is part of Roy, Elan and Haley's personal ideal outcome. Roy and Haley know about the prophecy so it could be as easy as fulfilling the expectations of the majority, but at some level they probably all would like someone else to deal with him so they don't have to either let an insane murderer roam free or kill their long-time companion. Xykon killing Belkar is drat convenient.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Isn't there an old wives' tale about dying in your dreams? On the one hand, he is still standing up, but on the other hand, we can't see his eyes. Would it even be possible for him to be dead yet still standing up?

There is but its not strictly true, I've died in my dreams before (and though that often woke me up there was one time when I came back as a ghost instead.)

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Roland Jones posted:

Huh, Roy seems to be having more trouble shrugging that off than Haley and Elan. Wonder if there's anything behind that.

And yeah, I'm also curious as to what's up with Belkar. He's still standing there, so...

Roy really, really wants to believe that there's a way out of this and that Durkon is alive and etc. He's actually in real life denial over his dead friend right now, so it makes sense that he'd readily accept a realistic fantasy of everything being just fine after all. And, of course, the big development moment here for Elan is that he realised some of his heart's desires were infeasible or childish and didn't take the real people involved into account.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

My Lovely Horse posted:

Which does imply that Belkar getting killed is part of Roy, Elan and Haley's personal ideal outcome. Roy and Haley know about the prophecy so it could be as easy as fulfilling the expectations of the majority, but at some level they probably all would like someone else to deal with him so they don't have to either let an insane murderer roam free or kill their long-time companion. Xykon killing Belkar is drat convenient.

I was going to say, I do think that it's "prophecy" trumping "personal ideal". Unlike Durkon, they know the timeline of Belkar's death instead of just "eventually dead" (since that applies to everyone). While Roy doesn't particularly like Belkar, he did save Haley's life and Elan's....Elan.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cliff Racer posted:

There is but its not strictly true

Whew, that's a relief.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I once died in a dream. I didn't wake up; I just switched to a completely different dream.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Cat Mattress posted:

I once died in a dream. I didn't wake up; I just switched to a completely different dream.

The one where you wake up and go back to working in a 9-5 job to support your family until you either die or get fired for being too old? Me too, I hate that dream :/

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Ursine Asylum posted:

The one where you wake up and go back to working in a 9-5 job to support your family until you either die or get fired for being too old? Me too, I hate that dream :/

I hear if you die in that dream, you go to another one where you have 72 virgins at your call all day long.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

peak debt posted:

I hear if you die in that dream, you go to another one where you have 72 virgins at your call all day long.
I too dream about posting on SA.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Smart Car posted:

I too dream about posting on SA.

:iceburn:

I've been having dreams lately that are really childish, blunt satire and it's super annoying.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

It just occurred to me that the pyramid full of illusions is where everyone is seeing things as they actually are.

sebmojo fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 22, 2013

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.

sebmojo posted:

Psythulu

drat it I KNEW this abomination was going to start creeping around the forums.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

sebmojo posted:

It just occurred to me that the pyramid full of illusions is where everyone is seeing things as they actually are.

That's.... a thing.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010

sebmojo posted:

Well, let's see: Elan realizes the truth about his family, so Ok. V gets a revelation about the Draketooths' connection to the black dragon, so s/he can count towards that, too. You could also include Durkon finding out his BFF is a vampire, if you feel so inclined. Roy and Haley haven't really had any eye-popping revelations or realizations, though, and I'm not too sure about Belkar. That's only half of everyone, then (Although, the night is still young).

Still, the biggest moment of truthiness happened for Elan, who is himself the illusionist of the group. An illusionist seeing things as they are in the pyramid of illusions? Does that work just as good?

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Roy and Haley haven't really had any eye-popping revelations or realizations, though,

This is what makes time-travelling Belkar the obvious best solution to the prophecy. Imagine: Roy's completely isolated from the rest of the group, about to die, and then an elderly Belkar appears out of nowhere and saves him, berating him about how his "rear end in a top hat-as-team-leader" function is devolving into "rear end in a top hat-in-general", and then getting killed by something. Perfect.

(this is only half serious, but I do think that Belkar's death has about a 95% chance of being related to Roy in some fashion.)

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TheAceOfLungs posted:

Well, let's see: Elan realizes the truth about his family, so Ok. V gets a revelation about the Draketooths' connection to the black dragon, so s/he can count towards that, too. You could also include Durkon finding out his BFF is a vampire, if you feel so inclined. Roy and Haley haven't really had any eye-popping revelations or realizations, though, and I'm not too sure about Belkar. That's only half of everyone, then (Although, the night is still young).

Still, the biggest moment of truthiness happened for Elan, who is himself the illusionist of the group. An illusionist seeing things as they are in the pyramid of illusions? Does that work just as good?

I'm counting Roy breaking out of the illusion (and learning what he really wants via the illusion), but nothing for Haley yet, I agree.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Soup du Jour posted:

This is what makes time-travelling Belkar the obvious best solution to the prophecy. Imagine: Roy's completely isolated from the rest of the group, about to die, and then an elderly Belkar appears out of nowhere and saves him, berating him about how his "rear end in a top hat-as-team-leader" function is devolving into "rear end in a top hat-in-general", and then getting killed by something. Perfect.

(this is only half serious, but I do think that Belkar's death has about a 95% chance of being related to Roy in some fashion.)

If we're lumping Durkon's revelation in, then I would say that Belkar's revelation is that he actually does care, but he might not have enough time left on the world to get anyone to believe it. Coming back to the party and being honest only to get that kind of reaction must have really hurt.

Triple Elation
Feb 24, 2012

1 + 2 + 4 + 8 + ... = -1
Roy owes an apology to both Elan and Belkar now.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

:siren: Dream Free :siren:

:3:

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I hope Rich isn't just making us start to sympathize with Belkar so he can kill him off and actually have people upset about it :smith:

majormonotone fucked around with this message at 02:44 on May 26, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

majormonotone posted:

I hope Rich isn't just making us start to sympathize with Belkar so he can kill him off and actually have people upset about it D:
You realize that's exactly what he's doing, right?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

I just...I have hope now. Even though I know it's futile.

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

majormonotone posted:

I just...I have hope now. Even though I know it's futile.

Looks like it's working!

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

majormonotone posted:

I hope Rich isn't just making us start to sympathize with Belkar so he can kill him off and actually have people upset about it :smith:
I think he's got something big planned, either to really gut punch us so hard we whimper sexy shoeless god of war for weeks to come or Belkar lives through the prophecy being dumb and wrong.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Heh, nice swerve with Belkar's fantasy thing. Honestly didn't expect that.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Hah, I just said to myself 5 minutes ago " You know, it's about time for a new OotS", and sure enough, Here it is.

That Freedom panel is great. It's just..just great.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I have a really bad feeling I know exactly what the GitP forums are doing with that next-to-last panel. I wish I didn't.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Okay yeah, that bardic spell of freedom is perfect. The old man's still got it.

TheAceOfLungs
Aug 4, 2010
So Roy thinks Belkar is Frank Millar? Fascinating.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DaveWoo posted:

Heh, nice swerve with Belkar's fantasy thing. Honestly didn't expect that.
Look more closely at the panels. You missed a little tiny thing.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Spiderdrake posted:

Look more closely at the panels. You missed a little tiny thing.

... Okay, I'll bite: what did I miss?

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

... Okay, I'll bite: what did I miss?

Mr. Scruffy was hypnotized too. It was a shared illusion for Belkar and his cat. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Zonekeeper posted:

Mr. Scruffy was hypnotized too. It was a shared illusion for Belkar and his cat. :3:

Ooooooooooooooooh.

BURLEW :argh: