Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Keep in mind that the standalone game is only being sold at retail. If you want to download it, you need to own NSMBU.

I know this, I do plan to have NSMBU before Luigi comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

KimT posted:

Man, Amazon UK, GAME and Shopto all have the retail version of New Super Luigi U priced at £40 ($60) which is pretty ridiculous. Wii U games usually cost £45 on release here, but this is basically an expansion pack. Hopefully the eShop version of the game is more reasonably priced.

The retail version of Luigi U is Luigi only, right? You need the original game to play as Mario?

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Red posted:

The retail version of Luigi U is Luigi only, right? You need the original game to play as Mario?

Yeah. Nabbit replaces Mario in the multiplayer. He's invincible and can't power up.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Would it be weird to buy the retail version of NSLBU if you own NSMBU? I love my physical collection and having the stand alone version would be a nice addition to my game library.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's your money man. There are a lot weirder things people have spent money on, video game wise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Spiffster posted:

Would it be weird to buy the retail version of NSLBU if you own NSMBU? I love my physical collection and having the stand alone version would be a nice addition to my game library.

I'm planning to do the same, so you won't be the only weird one :hfive:.

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012

Spiffster posted:

I do admit, that green box looks pretty nice, but it does cost twice as much as the digital version. Gotta ask yourself if it's worth that extra $10.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spiffster posted:

I'm doing the same because why the hell not. If it ends up being a limited print run, then I can resell it a year or two later for twice what I paid keep it on my shelf because I am a video game hoarder "collector".

Mobius
Sep 26, 2000

Spiffster posted:

The retail version doesn't come out until two months later, if that matters to you.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Vascokatz posted:

I do admit, that green box looks pretty nice, but it does cost twice as much as the digital version. Gotta ask yourself if it's worth that extra $10.

$30 is twice as much as $20? :raise:

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Jet Set Jettison posted:

Its always some random employee saying "gently caress Nintendo!" then a few days later a big-wig comes out and says "sorry we meant say that we're developing for the Wii U."

That's it, all right.

P.S. Posting from my Wii U. It's got a pretty solid web browser, y'know. (Great for YouTube on your televsion!)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Synthetic Hermit posted:

P.S. Posting from my Wii U. It's got a pretty solid web browser, y'know. (Great for YouTube on your televsion!)

It's the loving best for YouTube on TV.

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
Finally a use for my WiiU.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

njsykora posted:

I just got to Maridia. I'm willing to join the "gently caress Maridia" crowd.

I got through that last night and I honestly don't see what the big deal is? What do people dislike about it so much? I'm really kicking myself for having never played through Super Metroid before this - as sad is it is to realize that my favorite game on the Wii U is a SNES game from 1994. I'm really hoping they put Zero Mission of soon.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

poo poo wait I wasn't supposed to get the Wave Beam, Power Bombs, and Grapple Beam right after the Speed Booster, right? I think I did something wrong what do I do now :ohdear:

You should take every pit of acid and spiked hallways as a challenge, not an obstacle; you should have enough HP to get at least 15 power bombs, an extra reserve tank or two, and the x-ray goggles by then if you have the Ice Beam, too.

There IS one bullshit spiked flooded hallway that has an invisible ceiling above the spikes to prevent you from walljumping up, prior to getting the gravity suit, but you'd only know that if you had the x-rays to see it in advance. You have to wall jump up a two screen tall one-tile wide area after powerbombing it open on the bottom, and powerbomb the ceiling then climb back up before it respawns. So it's hard to accidentally get to.

Chronojam fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 22, 2013

Gnome Enthusiast
Jan 7, 2007

The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country.

citizenlowell posted:

I got through that last night and I honestly don't see what the big deal is? What do people dislike about it so much? I'm really kicking myself for having never played through Super Metroid before this - as sad is it is to realize that my favorite game on the Wii U is a SNES game from 1994. I'm really hoping they put Zero Mission of soon.

Well, I don't know about YOU, but that boss fight gives me nightmares (even though I've never had a problem beating it).

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
I'm really liking Lego City and I had a pretty low opinion of the Lego games before after the linear Star Wars games. There's nice varied environments that are fun to explore in this one. The game is actually funny enough where I laugh rather than just logically acknowledge that a joke is being told.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

citizenlowell posted:

I think most people just hate the sand. It also has a lot of annoying upgrades, like the missile tank in the first room that you have to shinespark into. It's also designed in such a way that you have to make multiple laps around the place to get all the items, which is just an annoying time sink.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

ghostwritingduck posted:

I'm really liking Lego City and I had a pretty low opinion of the Lego games before after the linear Star Wars games. There's nice varied environments that are fun to explore in this one. The game is actually funny enough where I laugh rather than just logically acknowledge that a joke is being told.

It's the best open-world game since Bully.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

zenintrude posted:

It's the best open-world game since Bully.

Have you played an open world game since Bully? 'Cause there are quite a few that beat the mess out of LCU.

I do NOT see the big deal about Lego City Undercover, and I really wanted to like that game. It's Baby's First GTA with the worst frame rate in a game I've seen on the Wii U.

:shrug:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I don't really see what's so great about Lego City either. The cut scenes are cute, I suppose. I only played an hour or two of it but does the combat ever become anything more then flipping over and handcuffing enemies?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't really see what's so great about Lego City either. The cut scenes are cute, I suppose. I only played an hour or two of it but does the combat ever become anything more then flipping over and handcuffing enemies?

It's about as deep as all the other Lego games, I guess. It's fine if you don't mind kiddie stuff or obvious tech issues (frame rate, obscene load times), but I think it doesn't hold a candle to other open world games like Saints Row 3, Skyrim, Fallout, etc.

Certainly not the best open world game by any measure.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Soul Glo posted:

Have you played an open world game since Bully? 'Cause there are quite a few that beat the mess out of LCU.

I do NOT see the big deal about Lego City Undercover, and I really wanted to like that game. It's Baby's First GTA with the worst frame rate in a game I've seen on the Wii U.

It's not the prettiest and the combat is dumb as a butt but just about every single building in the entire city has some sort of platforming something to do on it, something to find or some little secret. You can do something with each building which is more than I can say for GTA. It's pretty impressive in a way since most aren't something stupid like "Oh we put a flag up here". It really feels more like one of the N64 collectathon games than anything else to me.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't think there is more after the kung-fu training at the dojo where you learn all the extra moves.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Well, my response to that would be that collectathon games are boring.

Hey, man, like the games you want. They ain't for everybody; I'm just saying that acting as though Lego City Undercover is the best open world game in two generations is more than a bit hyperbolic and extremely misleading to people looking for games to buy on the Wii U. That game has some objectively bad issues.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Soul Glo posted:

Well, my response to that would be that collectathon games are boring.

Hey, man, like the games you want. They ain't for everybody; I'm just saying that acting as though Lego City Undercover is the best open world game in two generations is more than a bit hyperbolic and extremely misleading to people looking for games to buy on the Wii U. That game has some objectively bad issues.

How about we modifies and say it's the best sandbox collectathon in a long time?

That would probably satisfy the conversation.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

How about we modifies and say it's the best sandbox collectathon in a long time?

That would probably satisfy the conversation.

Yeah, I'd say Lego City Undercover is better than Banjo Kazooie. I'm cool with that.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

Gnome Enthusiast posted:

Well, I don't know about YOU, but that boss fight gives me nightmares (even though I've never had a problem beating it).

If any of the boss fights were going to give me nightmares it'd be the one where you push the boss into a pit of lava and he struggles as his skin melts off.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I think most people just hate the sand. It also has a lot of annoying upgrades, like the missile tank in the first room that you have to shinespark into. It's also designed in such a way that you have to make multiple laps around the place to get all the items, which is just an annoying time sink.

Thinking back on it that's fair. The sand was pretty frustrating, but I guess I didn't notice the looping nature of the map. Maybe it's something that becomes much more apparent of a second play through?

Kajmir
Jan 17, 2012

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

$30 is twice as much as $20? :raise:

I'm dumb. I thought that it was $10 and $20. Luigi gets me so excited that I forget how to numbers.

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

It's the loving best for YouTube on TV.

I use the gamepad a lot for Youtube. Especially when I want some whitenoise off to the side while I'm doing something else on my computer.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Vascokatz posted:

I use the gamepad a lot for Youtube. Especially when I want some whitenoise off to the side while I'm doing something else on my computer.

I do this with Netflix, it's what we have second screens for.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, I'd say Lego City Undercover is better than Banjo Kazooie. I'm cool with that.

But Banjo-Kazooie isn't sandbox? :confused:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

I put on my hori screen protector and that thing is quite awesome but some how a thin fiber from my cleaning cloth got itself dead center in my screen. That and a few spare dust sits are driving me crazy since I want it perfect yet the clear tape method to peeling up the screen protectors isn't working to get at the fiber. Anyone got some tips?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Soul Glo posted:

I've played nearly all of them in between... Prototype(s), Red Dead Redemption, GTA4, Just Cause(s), Mercenaries(s), and on... all have had their ups and downs, but Bully and LCU are both completely enjoyable romps from start to finish.

I know it's crazy, but some people have different opinions than you! :haw:

[edit] Come to think of it, I like the first Crackdown as much as I like Bully and LCU.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

zenintrude posted:

I've played nearly all of them in between... Prototype(s), Red Dead Redemption, GTA4, Just Cause(s), Mercenaries(s), and on... all have had their ups and downs, but Bully and LCU are both completely enjoyable romps from start to finish.

I know it's crazy, but some people have different opinions than you! :haw:

[edit] Come to think of it, I like the first Crackdown as much as I like Bully and LCU.

I didn't say it was crazy, just that it seemed unlikely that anybody would hold the opinion that LCU was the best open world game since the PS2 unless they hadn't played very many of those games.

Ironic that "golly, can't you see other people's opinions as being valid :smug:" gets thrown around the instant someone has a dissenting opinion about a game on the Wii U.

Sire Oblivion posted:

But Banjo-Kazooie isn't sandbox? :confused:

The joke was that I think LCU is about on the level of an N64 game.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Having recently bought a 3DS, I think I'm just going all-in with Nintendo for a while this generation. Nothing about the XBO reveal appeals to me, and there is only so much poo poo I can mount on top of my TV. At least the Wii sensor bar is nice and unintrusive.

Also, with my gaming habits, it's about a 70/30 split between clearing out my backlog and playing actual current games. Backward compatibility is a selling point for me!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 14:56 on May 23, 2013

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

we have a date folks :toot:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/337583782666326016

@NintendoAmerica 8:00 AM
Hello. We already announced we will have another #NintendoDirectNA at E3, but now we can share the date/time: 6/11 at 7 am PT. #IwataSays.

Also eshop related but 3 kirby games are up, if you buy 2 you get the third free.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Pixeltendo posted:

Hello. We already announced we will have another #NintendoDirectNA at E3, but now we can share the date/time: 6/11 at 7 am PT. #IwataSays.

Also eshop related but 3 kirby games are up, if you buy 2 you get the third free.

Yesss, Kirby Super Star, Dream Land 3, and Dream Course. I was already gonna buy two of those anyways, so getting the third for nothing is awesome.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Pixeltendo posted:

Is that the next one? I was under the impression that there would be another one this month or in early June.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It's always been one a month, and of course it's on the same day they would have had a conference, roughly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nintendo needs more eshop deals like the Kirby one. I will get 2 now to get all 3.

• Locked thread