Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GUI
Nov 5, 2005

There were a lot of people crying including a few in this forum back when Platinum took over, but it decreased after a while and was eventually drowned out by the 24/7 complaints about the Devil May Cry reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuru Seed
Jul 29, 2008

It's always sunny in Fillydelphia.

That loving Sned posted:

If they were going to have a cameo from a FOXHOUND member in MGS4, it should have been Vulcan Raven, not Psycho Mantis. Especially since it pretty much undoes his revelation that he could have been using his powers to help people, by just going on to do bad things in the afterlife.

I would have to disagree since Ocelots ultimate goal was to remove the grip Major Zero put on human life with his AI program. Even in his failure Ocelot said it was still as successful as he hoped it was. He fought for good, even if it made him look like a bad guy.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

Having a kickin' rad name went a long way, at least for me. :black101:REVENGEANCE:black101:

I absolutely loved how everyone and his mother were making jokes about how those crazy Japanese writers came up with a pseudo-English title like "Revengeance" in an attempt to sound cool. While the Oxford English Dictionary considers it no longer in use, "revengeance" is indeed a real English word that actual people used.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

johnboy3434 posted:

I absolutely loved how everyone and his mother were making jokes about how those crazy Japanese writers came up with a pseudo-English title like "Revengeance" in an attempt to sound cool. While the Oxford English Dictionary considers it no longer in use, "revengeance" is indeed a real English word that actual people used.

Let's not pretend that "revengeance" being a real word makes the subtitle any less ridiculous.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

johnboy3434 posted:

I absolutely loved how everyone and his mother were making jokes about how those crazy Japanese writers came up with a pseudo-English title like "Revengeance". While the Oxford English Dictionary considers it no longer in use, "revengeance" is indeed a real English word.

I remember some dumb article came out about how it was used by the KKK and it just read like someone was desperately trying to poo poo stir.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

johnboy3434 posted:

Chip's gone over this with the second post of the thread.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Kuru Seed posted:

I would have to disagree since Ocelots ultimate goal was to remove the grip Major Zero put on human life with his AI program. Even in his failure Ocelot said it was still as successful as he hoped it was. He fought for good, even if it made him look like a bad guy.

All I faintly remember from MGS4's awful ending other than the graveyard scene was Ocelot talking about how he hoped there would be worldwide anarchy without the Patriots so Big Boss' dream could be realized. The only reason this doesn't happen is because the FOXALIVE virus installed in the Patriotswhatever keeps basic human economy/necessities/whatever/Kojima intact. So him being "good" is arguable as he just really wanted the approval of some guy who beat the poo poo out of him in the 60s.

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

Chip's gone over this with the second post of the thread.

...I know he has. But thanks for the tip, I guess.

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
There are still a fair amount of fans who are upset that Rising isn't another stealth game, and they are also the kind of people who go out of their way to find videos about it so they can post "I DON'T CONSIDER THIS GAME CANON".

Metal Gear Rising #2-1: Dark Skies.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-2: I'm My Own Master Now.....Uncut Commentary
Metal Gear Rising #2-3: Combat Primer Vol 1
Metal Gear Rising #2-4: Splatter Films (Codec)

johnboy3434
Mar 27, 2010

Chip Cheezum posted:

There are still a fair amount of fans who are upset that Rising isn't another stealth game, and they are also the kind of people who go out of their way to find videos about it so they can post "I DON'T CONSIDER THIS GAME CANON".

Oh Jesus Christ, those people are some of the most annoying shitstains on the planet, and there's some in every fandom. Seriously: Metal Gear, The Matrix, Final Fantasy, Friday the 13th, Marvel Comics, Power Rangers, loving Smokey and the Bandit. There's always a group of douchebags ignoring some installment or another because it doesn't meet some ill-defined standard that they've set.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
"I'm My Own Master Now," Blade Wolf's theme, unfortunately does not come with the bitchin' Spanish guitar intro anywhere except in the in-game files, which has the sound effects baked in.

ALSO MY AVATAR IS A SPOILER OH NO!

Silentman0 fucked around with this message at 23:51 on May 24, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Silentman0 posted:

"I'm My Own Master Now," Blade Wolf's theme, unfortunately does not come with the bitchin' Spanish guitar intro anywhere except in the in-game files, which has the sound effects baked in.

That's one of my favorite tracks in the game, but is it me, or does this song just decide to gently caress with its volume levels for no reason? :pwn:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Chip Cheezum posted:

Anyone who has this much trouble accepting that Rising is canon has been taking Metal Gear's universe more seriously than it takes itself.

Also: I never called Doktor after the Wolf fight. I always thought the game should've acknowledged why they repaired Wolf so he could pal around with Raiden. Now I get it! Raiden took a liking to the little scamp.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 00:58 on May 25, 2013

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
drat Chip, I just want to commend you for your editing in these videos, it's great. I like the interjecting with some informationals and the rewindy bits were great.

Absolutely loving this LP so far.. I wish I didn't only have MGR on rental when I played. I'm definitely buying it ASAP so I can play it again. I guess I'm a Raiden apologizer because this and MGS2 are my favorite in the series. I apologize for nothing, however. :allears:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I did not know about pause combos or the aerial parry's usefulness against Gekko and I've played this game for forty loving hours, what is wrong with me

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

Oxxidation posted:

I did not know about pause combos or the aerial parry's usefulness against Gekko and I've played this game for forty loving hours, what is wrong with me

Hey I didn't know until until 2 weeks after finishing the game that there were usable magazines in the game.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Haha, I liked how Kevin moved Courtney's coffee cup away from the edge of the table they were at (twice, even). Just a little animation, they didn't even have to bother, but it says a lot about the character.

Tuxedo Ted fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 25, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Now that we've seen Raiden's new body, it's time to show off the two .gifs I made.

Plus this sweet comic.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

That cat's got the loving moves, man.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
Oh, this is going to be magical. :allears:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

That's one of my favorite tracks in the game, but is it me, or does this song just decide to gently caress with its volume levels for no reason? :pwn:

I think it is recorded from the game itself, otherwise you have to mix it yourself from the vocal and instrumental version of the song.

Also, are there really no version of the boss themes we hear during their cutscenes? Because I really like the part that plays during this and the next boss's cutscene.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Something not mentioned during the video, that vampire thing Kevin does is a nod to the fact that his voice actor(Phil LaMarr) was the guy who also voiced Vamp.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 01:21 on May 25, 2013

Wind God Sety
Sep 2, 2011

"I think you really should be in the ocean..."

So that's what I been doing wrong!
God the characters in this game are so good. I love Doktor saying "you don't need to heal constantly, just don't take damage and you'll be fine!"

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
I was very confused for about a second at the end of that boss fight.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I really like the codecs in this game, your support team feels more like a group of buddies than a bunch of randoms thrown together who you have little reason to care about until halfway through the game. It's a nice touch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The GIG posted:

I really like the codecs in this game, your support team feels more like a group of buddies than a bunch of randoms thrown together who you have little reason to care about until halfway through the game. It's a nice touch.

I think a lot of it is down to the localisation. MGR is much closer to the first MGS in that regard, the language feels more naturalistic, more like they took the Japanese and adapted it so it sounded right in English, instead of rote translation. Notice how Courtney works her request about saving into conversations. She actually doesn't have a standard clip for that unless you've exhausted all other Codecs for that area with her.

Also, "CyborgCourtney coulda saved yo' rear end!" *spazs and spills coffee everywhere* is possibly my favourite of the Codecs I personally saw during my playthrough.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 25, 2013

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

The GIG posted:

Yeah, I'm really digging how in like two updates they already feel like pretty fleshed out characters for a support staff. And the introduction of actually seeing them all sitting around in the same room while they provide Raiden with support seems to give them some nice opportunities to interact with each other.

This game looks great, I'm gonna have to pick it up sometime soon. Platinum continues to impress.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I am liking the rewinding and replay method. But it needs some badly drawn white circles, crosses and arrows to highlight your point.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
The rewinding trick and the alternate takes on fights is a great way to present the game! I imagine that's pretty tricky to do, so hats off.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Doktor. Doktor that is way more than the allotted amount of forehead. You need to give some forehead back to foreheadless children in Africa.

Kuru Seed
Jul 29, 2008

It's always sunny in Fillydelphia.
The codecs still have the function of telling the player what they can do, but I like that it's the Player Character telling the Player how to do things. Would make Raiden cooler if he didn't already seem really dumb because of MGS2.

And if it didn't seem like he was a try-hard on being "cool."

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
That's Phil Lamarr as Kev, right? Nice touch that the guy who voiced Vamp makes a Dracula joke in Rising.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

The best part about the Codecs is the running theme of Raiden trying to say something cool or funny (especially to Kevin) and the support crew person laughing at him for being such a big dork.

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
Doktor is pretty much the best character in the game.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
As for the differences in the actual game and the demo in addition to the additional point counts for each category, the demo doesn't allow you to grab multiple spines at the same time, as seen in the earlier GIF Sned posted. It also has most of the skills already unlocked, and it doesn't have the "loading..." sign during the walking codec conversations. It's also more prone to crashing randomly, mostly during Blade Mode.

There might be some other minor differences as well but I don't remember them offhand.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
I love the tiny plane shooting Raiden out like a torpedo.

I have to say I'm not a fan of you pausing to show off every move combination and rewinding fights.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

ThatPazuzu posted:

I have to say I'm not a fan of you pausing to show off every move combination and rewinding fights.

Yeah kinda wish that was a separate video or something, saw two uploads and figured the mission would be over but nope, still only at the miniboss by the end.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I burst out laughing at the Codec with Raiden and Doktor where Raiden starts going on about "I'M MY OWN MAN" in his best Batman voice.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
The demo is fantastic and probably one of the best demos I've ever played. It made me go from "Eh, this game looks kinda cool I guess" to "I must have this now". They really did a good job with it.

AnotherGamer posted:

There might be some other minor differences as well but I don't remember them offhand.
Blade Wolf's death speech is different. It's the same lines, but for some reason they redid it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
The reason why I'm rewinding fights is because several of the fights at the very beginning of the game can be ended so quickly that there isn't enough time to say anything of worth, let alone explaining how anything in the game works. This update is probably where it'll be the most heavy because there's lot of new mechanics to explained combined with fights that can be finished in thirty seconds. If it makes you feel better the next update only has one rewind in it.

• Locked thread