Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

signalnoise posted:

Hey, do we have 2v2/3v3 etc marked for availability at release? I saw in a thing that they were planning on having 2v2 and 3v3 tournaments, but they were going to wait until the community was established to put them out. Any idea if we're going to have them for casuals at launch, so I can play co-op PvP with friends? It's a huge selling point for my group.

Unfortunately, I think we know pretty much nothing about casual PVP so far except that it will be possible and that you'll be able to lend cards (with the guild bank or presumably in-person). I suspect if they thought they'd have 2v2 or 3v3 ready for launch they'd have mentioned it by now, though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I think the more interesting thing is they said there will be tournaments where pve cards and gear are legal. That has the potential to be a huge hit with the casual crowd and tons of fun.

They also seem to be convinced that PvE is going to be great, but they haven't effectively conveyed that to the public. To the point where they said that the loot tier is supposed to be as good as the pro player tier before they added the year of drafting.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Khorne posted:

I think the more interesting thing is they said there will be tournaments where pve cards and gear are legal. That has the potential to be a huge hit with the casual crowd and tons of fun.

They also seem to be convinced that PvE is going to be great, but they haven't effectively conveyed that to the public. To the point where they said that the loot tier is supposed to be as good as the pro player tier before they added the year of drafting.

I think the whole tournaments with PvE gear thing is going to be a massive clusterfuck that is also awesome. I imagine there's going to be some crazy unstoppable force/immovable object type of stuff going on. I think it's also just the way to emphasize that it's an MMO by design and not just a CCG with pve in it.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I'm mostly interested in the PVE aspect of this game, where you are apparently awarded cards via playing. Are you expected to be able to clear the harder dungeons with just loot drops or will buying boosters become necessary? I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth pledging at King level since the main draw seems to be the mess of discounted boosters you get.

Also eyeing Dungeon Crawler tier but just saying "you get double loot in PVE!" without any info on how the loot drops actually work seems rather shady.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Ojetor posted:

I'm mostly interested in the PVE aspect of this game, where you are apparently awarded cards via playing. Are you expected to be able to clear the harder dungeons with just loot drops or will buying boosters become necessary? I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth pledging at King level since the main draw seems to be the mess of discounted boosters you get.

Also eyeing Dungeon Crawler tier but just saying "you get double loot in PVE!" without any info on how the loot drops actually work seems rather shady.

Dungeons yield loot that is based on how you complete them (what paths you take) as well as how few deaths you incur. You get a death mark when you die, 3 marks and you have to restart. It sounds like you'll get loot on individual battles, but the big loot comes at the end.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
New update with some neat info--especially for the Collector reward.

quote:

Question: The 660K tier reward gave us +1 to PVE cards. Can that include PVP cards as well?

That makes sense. Yes, enjoy!

Question: Can the +1 Reward at the 660K tier apply to The Collector Tier yearly exclusive alternate art PVP cards?

That makes sense. Yes, enjoy!

So, the 660K +1 tier reward now also includes Kickstarter exclusive PVP rewards and the Collector yearly alternate art PVP cards. I'll update the respective tier images soon to reflect that, as well add both the Dragon's Blood starter deck and the Cardboard Tube Samurai to the Champion tier list which are currently missing.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Ojetor posted:

The idea is that you should be able to play PVE perfectly well without ever putting money in - PVE cards are more likely to be broken in PVP than the other way round - but having boosters still gives you more options, and you'll probably find equipment that works with PVP cards. That said, if you're looking at King versus Champion, for $35 more you get 65 booster packs. I don't care how bad the initial flood is, I suspect the going rate for packs will be above 50 cents each, so if you don't end up using them you should easily be able to resell them at launch.

quote:

Dungeon Crawler is specifically double boss loot drop. We have a bit of information here - basically it looks like the boss loot drop is the main reward of the dungeon, and that you can dramatically increase its quality by doing side stuff rather than beelining for the boss. We don't have anything concrete yet, although I think it's reasonable to assume that +100% loot drop means "get twice as much stuff on average".

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BenRGamer posted:

New update with some neat info--especially for the Collector reward.

This was a pretty awesome update. I'm actually contemplating tacking a Collector onto my Grand King and Pro tiers. I guess we'll see how well the Magic cards and Warhamemr stuff that I put on eBay sells.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Karnegal posted:

This was a pretty awesome update. I'm actually contemplating tacking a Collector onto my Grand King and Pro tiers. I guess we'll see how well the Magic cards and Warhamemr stuff that I put on eBay sells.

How do you go about getting multiple tiers? Increase your pledge amount and then the option becomes available or something?

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

War Eagle posted:

How do you go about getting multiple tiers? Increase your pledge amount and then the option becomes available or something?

Make multiple Kickstarter accounts, or pledge on paypal and kickstarter.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

HiggsBoson81 posted:

Make multiple Kickstarter accounts, or pledge on paypal and kickstarter.

Question 2: do the rewards have to be used on one account each, or can you combine them?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zonekeeper posted:

Question 2: do the rewards have to be used on one account each, or can you combine them?

They will combine them if you ask, up to a maximum of four.

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

Jedit posted:

They will combine them if you ask, up to a maximum of four.

Just found a pretty good explanation from the studio on how this works.

http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=23603&highlight=combine+kickstarter

gameday
Apr 29, 2006

Hungry for sport
I'm so excited for this game. I came back to Magic about a year ago with Avacyn (oops) and I've been playing a lot of limited. This game looks perfect for me, since I can get in on the ground floor and the interface is what Magic Online should look like. I pledged at King about 15 minutes after finding out about the Kickstarter, but I'm really waffling on whether or not to boost that to Collector or Dungeon Crawler. Count me in for the Goon Guild!

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

gameday posted:

I pledged at King about 15 minutes after finding out about the Kickstarter, but I'm really waffling on whether or not to boost that to Collector or Dungeon Crawler.

Here's the logic that got me to bump to dungeon crawler- If the game sucks and isn't popular, any money I spent is kinda wasted anyway, but if it's good and popular, my dungeon crawler pledge could possibly be worth more as an account sale on the secondary market than I paid for it, to some poor soul who wasn't in before launch. I'm betting on this game being good.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
The extra set of cards sold me on Collector. I must be outta my goddamn mind, $120 was more than I had ever spent on any other Kickstarter and I went and more than doubled it from that, but there it is.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 24, 2013

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Is anybody really talking so far about the graphic design of the card faces? I don't know about anyone else, and I'm sure it will depend on what size they end up being displayed in the client, but in places like this card gallery they're displayed at about the same size on my monitor as paper Magic cards but seem far less easy on the eyes. At the very least they seem significantly harder to read or make sense of than the classic Magic cardface, and given how much bellyaching there seems to be about that every time it comes up, I'm surprised there isn't more critique about this aspect of the design.

Having said that, I'll be backing this around the first of the month, when I can be sure how much I have to spend. From what I can tell, if it's not a better experience than Magic in the long run, it'll be because it's held Magic's feet to the fire.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I'm trying to get in at Pro Player Tier and missed twice in the past couple of hours when a spot opened up. :(

X_ThePerfect
Jul 31, 2010
I am really looking forward to this. I'm currently in at King, but considering upping to dungeon crawler. $250 is a whole lot of dollar for an unknown quantity though.

Do we know for certain if boosters can be sold on the auction house equivalent?

I'm a bit curious if we'll see any house rules formats coming together and if cryptozoic will help support them on the software side.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

JerryLee posted:

Is anybody really talking so far about the graphic design of the card faces? I don't know about anyone else, and I'm sure it will depend on what size they end up being displayed in the client, but in places like this card gallery they're displayed at about the same size on my monitor as paper Magic cards but seem far less easy on the eyes. At the very least they seem significantly harder to read or make sense of than the classic Magic cardface, and given how much bellyaching there seems to be about that every time it comes up, I'm surprised there isn't more critique about this aspect of the design.

That's a third-party site using previews they've scavenged from kickstarter updates. The cards seemed pretty legible during the stream they did, and there's also the fact that it's a computer game so changing the typeface is something they can iterate on whenever they feel like.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JerryLee posted:

What's hard to read about them? I'm astigmatic and have no problems other than with a couple of the lower resolution screencaps.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
So, am I right that Mercenaries can't be traded/sold, meaning that the only way to get a copy of Mephistophelius is to pledge at Champion level?

I'm still considering it, but I have very little disposable income at the moment and $85 is a lot of food I wouldn't be eating.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Some Numbers posted:

So, am I right that Mercenaries can't be traded/sold, meaning that the only way to get a copy of Mephistophelius is to pledge at Champion level?

I'm still considering it, but I have very little disposable income at the moment and $85 is a lot of food I wouldn't be eating.

That is correct. As of now, mercs seem to be account bound. As to your dollars, you have 2 weeks before you have to pay, so you can always reassess later.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jedit posted:

What's hard to read about them? I'm astigmatic and have no problems other than with a couple of the lower resolution screencaps.

The font seems harder to read than it could be, it seems 'busier' than Magic with the symbols and stuff like the stylized frame for the 'cost,' and there doesn't seem like any reason (aside from getting sued less I guess) to put the 'power' and 'toughness' in separate corners so that they're not as easy to take in at a glance. And yes, I realize that you can blow them up onscreen, but it seems weird for the size of your average physical TCG card to not be the standard at which these will be viewed.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Does the game have persistent creature damage (WoWTCG) or it goes away at end of turn (Magic)?

navier-stoked
Aug 30, 2004
Have they stated if or how frequently cards will be phased out of legal play? Is it going to be like MtG block format or someththing else?

Kaebora
Jul 12, 2006

Be careful of forgetfulness. Your lucky color is...blue?

Tonfa posted:

Does the game have persistent creature damage (WoWTCG) or it goes away at end of turn (Magic)?

I believe that it goes away at end of turn.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Karnegal posted:

That is correct. As of now, mercs seem to be account bound. As to your dollars, you have 2 weeks before you have to pay, so you can always reassess later.

Mercs being account bound is definitely an additional consideration. I'm probably still going back it, because this game looks amazing, but I may not be going as high as I'd like.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ReadingZucchini posted:

Have they stated if or how frequently cards will be phased out of legal play? Is it going to be like MtG block format or someththing else?

I seem to recall them saying they intend to support at least two formats--one with only the previous two years of cards, and one with all cards. No idea on whether sets will be grouped into blocks or not.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Some Numbers posted:

Mercs being account bound is definitely an additional consideration. I'm probably still going back it, because this game looks amazing, but I may not be going as high as I'd like.

I believe the reason for it is that, outside of the KS (and maybe future promotions), mercs are acquired through PvE play. Essentially everyone will, with enough work, be able to access all non-promo mercs, so I think they want to avoid moving them around. This could be due to not getting certain powerful mercs until late in the game. Also, since you level mercs, you wouldn't want players to be able to trivialize PvE content by buying a powerful max level merc. Part of it is that the auction house isn't being set up to handle merc exchanges.

I realize it sucks for acquiring the KS exclusives, but that's part of the idea of an exclusive in the first place. In the long run, not being able to trade for mercs is a non-issue.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

signalnoise posted:

Less power creep than magic is good enough for me. So long as it isn't "be current or lose" that's ok

This is categorically wrong.

WoW TCG is on a 2 block rotation where almost every set dramatically changes the meta and introduces expensive new staple cards. Competitive decks have been as or more expensive than Magic decks (Standard) for the past couple of years.

As a long-term WoW TCG player, I'm shocked so many people are treating CZE's management of it as a selling point.

Since taking the game over in 2010, a few of the less stellar changes they've made:

-Dungeon treasure pack epics. To push sales for this spinoff product with increased MSRP ($6 boosters), CZE started printing absurdly powerful epics (rarer than "rare") in them. The worst of these, Edwin Van Cleef, was basically a must-have for every deck in the format for most of last year and peaked at >200$/copy before Nationals. The most recent one is Archimonde the Despoiler, which is currently selling at 130$/copy: http://www.warcraftgamingcenter.com/arhaofsa.html .

-Creatures, creatures, creatures. The most powerful cards in earlier blocks were cards restricted to very specific deck types, which made for a diverse, interesting, and inexpensive meta. In every set CZE has produced, the most powerful cards have been creatures that can be used by almost any deck. Meanwhile, the things that made WoW TCG interesting and distinct, quests and class-specific cards, have been marginalized to near-irrelevance. This makes for a very homogenous game: >70% of the recent Realm Championships events were won by the same deck archetype.

-Prizes...? http://forums.cryptozoic.com/showthread.php?t=21424

tl;dr : Under CZE, WoW TCG has consistently become way less interesting and way more expensive than it was under UDE.

HEX looks cool to be sure. I'm just mystified to keep seeing WoW TCG toted as a feather in CZE's cap, since I would almost be happier to see Hex coming from a totally unknown company at this point.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 23:52 on May 24, 2013

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Just found a 15 minute IGN demo going over some more stuff about the game

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/05/24/hex-mmo-trading-card-game-developer-demo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avasculous posted:

This is categorically wrong.

-Dungeon treasure pack epics. To push sales for this spinoff product with increased MSRP ($6 boosters), CZE started printing absurdly powerful epics (rarer than "rare") in them. The worst of these, Edwin Van Cleef, was basically a must-have for every deck in the format for most of last year and peaked at >200$/copy before Nationals. The most recent one is Archimonde the Despoiler, which is currently selling at 130$/copy: http://www.warcraftgamingcenter.com/arhaofsa.html

I'll freely admit I don't know much about competitive CCG playing, but I just like my dollar to last longer. However, I also loving HATE super rares

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

My understanding is that the CZ team is largely the same as the UDE one.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
signalnoise -

I was objecting to the "no need to keep up with things" statement.

Like with Magic, the main competitive format for WoW TCG includes only the 2 the most recent "blocks", with each year being a block of three sets.
Even ignoring what cards new sets introduce (which often put completely new decks way above existing ones), the rotation of blocks would force you to
regularly invest to keep up.

For example, this November, 3 of the 5 currently legal sets will rotate out and it's unlikely any of the top-tier decks of now will remain viable.

Karnegal posted:

My understanding is that the CZ team is largely the same as the UDE one.

Several key people from UDE transitioned to CZE. I don't know to what extent it is "largely the same," especially on the business side, which I suspect is the driving influence behind 200$ must-have ultra rares.

Patrick Sullivan was the lead designer of WoW TCG under Cryptozoic, and about six months ago he left for Gary Games (Ascension, Solforge). A lot of players were hoping some of the currently frustrating elements of the game like homogeneous creature-based decks would go with him, but the most recent sets have continued the trend.

To give you another example of the homogeneity I'm talking about, these are the top decks from US Nationals 2012:
http://wowtcg.cryptozoic.com/live-coverage/north-american-continental-championship-2012/nacc-top-16-decklists

Notice how many players are playing exactly the same hero (Jaral) and how many copies of Edwin are there, which at the time was selling for >200$.

These are the top decks from the same event one year earlier, using mostly UDE sets:
http://wowtcg.cryptozoic.com/live-coverage/north-american-continental-championship-2011/nacc-top-8-decklists

8/8 unique heroes, 8 very different deck archetypes, 2-3 of which had never been seen before.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 25, 2013

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Avasculous posted:

I was objecting to the "no need to keep up with things" statement.

Well I don't mean "play with the same cards forever" really, I just mean making things just completely obsolete is annoying as gently caress. Like, take Poxnora for example. I really liked that game. I had to drop it because they had super-rares and poo poo and once Sony got their hands on it the whole thing power creeped out of control to the point where almost my whole collection was basically worthless. I highly dislike that. I'm in favor of having a highly competitive, tightly regulated and balanced limited block format. I'm against having older cards be better or worse just because they're old.

Now, given this is a company in the business of making money, of course they have to continue to sell new stuff. How much do you think is reasonable as a monthly expense to stay competitive?

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

Zonekeeper posted:

Holy poo poo, I never saw that one. That very concept is blowing my mind - you can use burn spells on creatures your opponent hasn't even drawn yet. :psyboom:

Affecting things that are still in the deck is a very cool concept and I think I saw an enfeebling type spell that hits the deck as well. Besides Zombie plague I mean, which I can see just wrecking the poo poo out of a bunny green deck. Very happy with what they're doing with the digital format and I'm sure we'll see some real innovations later on. I can't picture bans happening for tourneys or such since if a card is just deemed overpowered they can edit it later to something more balanced.

And they have an entire selection of mushroom cards based off moustaches. Weep for the future Mario.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

thiswayliesmadness posted:

I can't picture bans happening for tourneys or such since if a card is just deemed overpowered they can edit it later to something more balanced.

This approach seems like it could create a lot of ill will if they tried it post-beta, though. Imagine how you'd feel if you just bought a playset of a powerful card and then not only was it nerfed in tournament play, but the card itself actually changed so it couldn't be used in casual.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Oh, wow, Guild Master is almost gone. I figured Dungeon Crawler would be next, but it still has a couple hundred to go.

Edit: Welp, I misread it and am an idiot, I thought it said 19 left. It's got even less than Raid Leader. Heh.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 03:29 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

BenRGamer posted:

Oh, wow, Guild Master is almost gone. I figured Dungeon Crawler would be next, but it still has a couple hundred to go.

There are 980/1000 left?

• Locked thread