Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Anyone here able to get Mibbit Web IRC to work on Chrome? It never used to be a problem but now any time I try using it, it gets into the channel but none of my messages go through and what should be the userlist is just.. blank. But I can see other peoples' messages at least some of the time.

Using Chrome 27.0.1453.93 m, here's a reference picture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
It really takes the biscuit when I cannot upload to youtube via chrome yet IE10 works perfectly fine.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

a glorious hole posted:

Anyone here able to get Mibbit Web IRC to work on Chrome? It never used to be a problem but now any time I try using it, it gets into the channel but none of my messages go through and what should be the userlist is just.. blank. But I can see other peoples' messages at least some of the time.

I've never run into a problem using mibbit. I use it daily in chrome, both the 26.* stable, and the 28.* dev build currently are fine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

myron cope posted:

Hey Okposolypse, Lifehacker just put up a guide to installing (ubuntu) Linux on a chromebook http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343

I should note that choosing linuxmint instead should be a very similar process. Depending on your preferences you might find it a less radical change from windows.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 04:52 on May 22, 2013

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

a glorious hole posted:

Post your email and I can send you an irccloud invite

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
Anyone else getting memory leaks in tabs?

Large images (as in resolution) tends to set it off, so SA and Webcomics mostly. I'm not sure if it's a leak exactly or if it's just not clearing old data but I've frequently had tabs repeatedly grow in memory until they begin to slow down and either crash themselves or I bring up the task manager and end/restart them.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?
Im trying to switch to chrome for my main browser instead of firefox for various reasons, I just can't find a couple addons that work like ones in firefox.

Is there an addon like Gmail manager NG https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/gmail-manager-ng/ which will keep me logged into Gmail in the addon but wont have me constantly logged into my google account in the browser :tinfoil:

Second addon I want is NoScript https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/noscript/?src=search have tried a fare few chrome versions but they aren't as good/easy to work with.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
It's google chrome. You are supposed to be permanently logged into your google account to maintain proper browser functionality.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ok, so according to the chrome blog, the latest beta build includes a rich notification center (http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/05/richer-notifications-coming-to-chrome.html). I updated, but I don't see the notification center icon in my system tray. I enabled the flags, but still no go. Uhh...

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

lovely Treat posted:

Im trying to switch to chrome for my main browser instead of firefox for various reasons, I just can't find a couple addons that work like ones in firefox.

Is there an addon like Gmail manager NG https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/gmail-manager-ng/ which will keep me logged into Gmail in the addon but wont have me constantly logged into my google account in the browser :tinfoil:

Second addon I want is NoScript https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefox/addon/noscript/?src=search have tried a fare few chrome versions but they aren't as good/easy to work with.

You can disable a heap of stuff by default in Settings, and then enable said stuff on a per-site basis:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Any of you on Chrome beta 28 been able to get the new notification center to work?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

spincube posted:

You can disable a heap of stuff by default in Settings, and then enable said stuff on a per-site basis:

I did not know you could do this :aaa:. Thanks for that information!

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

teagone posted:

Any of you on Chrome beta 28 been able to get the new notification center to work?

I got these instructions from the comments on Techcrunch

Some dude on Techcrunch posted:

How to enable notifications:

1) Make sure you are on the Chrome Beta channel

2) Make sure you don't have McAfee blocking apps from making themselves autorun

3) Go to chrome://flags, find Enable Rich Notifications and enable it. Also find Google Now and enable that. Restart Chrome. Restart your machine for good measure.

4) Test by going to http://jsfiddle.net/dandv/wT26x/1/ and clicking the yellow box. You should get a notification on the desktop and the notification centre should appear in the system tray. Make sure Chrome isn't maximised so you can tell the notification really is on the desktop.

5) Go to Gmail settings and enable desktop notifications.

However, I'm still not getting desktop notifications from gmail, no idea why.

One thing to be aware of, the notification centre icon only appears in the system tray when you have uncleared notifications. If you haven't had any notifications, or if you dismissed them, then it won't be there.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

gariig posted:

I got these instructions from the comments on Techcrunch

Awesome, this worked. Thanks so much!

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I guess this is the place for Chromebooks?

If you want a Pixel and have ~$900 or so to burn, you can get a new I/O Pixel on eBay pretty easily. They are flooding the site by the day.

I picked one up. It's the 64gig/LTE version ($1,449 on google's store). It's a magnificent machine, if not a waste of money. Oh well, I like it. I'll wait another 1.5 years or so before activating the 1TB offer since I'm still enjoying the 100gigs I got from a previous Samsung Chromebook.

The display is jaw dropping. I'm only keeping it because I firmly believe Google will do something great with Chrome OS. Laugh if you will (I also have a Nexus Q - which is now on eBay) but I don't think this OS is being abandoned in classic Google style any time soon. It's the future!

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

hotsauce posted:

I guess this is the place for Chromebooks?

If you want a Pixel and have ~$900 or so to burn, you can get a new I/O Pixel on eBay pretty easily. They are flooding the site by the day.

I picked one up. It's the 64gig/LTE version ($1,449 on google's store). It's a magnificent machine, if not a waste of money. Oh well, I like it. I'll wait another 1.5 years or so before activating the 1TB offer since I'm still enjoying the 100gigs I got from a previous Samsung Chromebook.

The display is jaw dropping. I'm only keeping it because I firmly believe Google will do something great with Chrome OS. Laugh if you will (I also have a Nexus Q - which is now on eBay) but I don't think this OS is being abandoned in classic Google style any time soon. It's the future!
Does chrome OS support Java or silverlight yet? Google tells me no.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

z06ck posted:

Don't have a use for either so I'm not sure. I'd bet it doesn't (yet) though.

For some reason, Chrome doesn't support Dish Anywhere (Dish Network - allows you to watch your Hopper anywhere). Can't figure out why.

Also, eBay listings are all jacked up. You can't add photos to your listing unless you use an extension to spoof to IE9 or something. Weird. Minimal concerns though.

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 25, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

z06ck posted:

Unnecessary frippery.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Does chrome for anyone else eat up obscene amounts of memory for old tabs? If I have a tab I use often like my user cp for the forums here I just pin it/leave it open and refresh, opening up other threads in new tabs. But it seems like the tab just keeps slowly eating up more and more memory until I close it, going to a new page won't help it. For example, I opened a tab of my user control panel last night and it ended up staying open all today since I was out and not at my computer. This is what I came back to:

I'm on the beta channel I think, if it matters. Could it be an extension or something?

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So I just rebooted chrome and noticed the address bar font size got bigger. Did anyone else notice this? I'm on the Mac OS 28.0.1500.20 beta.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Residency Evil posted:

So I just rebooted chrome and noticed the address bar font size got bigger. Did anyone else notice this? I'm on the Mac OS 28.0.1500.20 beta.

I did too - same OS, same version. Not wild about it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone found a decent Google play music extension? Switching back to the proper tab just to pause something is getting a bit old.

Drevoak
Jan 30, 2007

kri kri posted:

Anyone found a decent Google play music extension? Switching back to the proper tab just to pause something is getting a bit old.

If you are on windows there's actually a program someone made to play it on the desktop. Its really well made, it has notification of whats playing and supports the standard media buttons so if you're keyboard has next/pause/play buttons they'll work.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

withak posted:

Unnecessary frippery.
The unified two-factor authentication login system used by every public/government website in my country, plus online banking, is made in Java. :( I'll be stuck with loving Java for ages.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?

Wrist Watch posted:

Does chrome for anyone else eat up obscene amounts of memory for old tabs? If I have a tab I use often like my user cp for the forums here I just pin it/leave it open and refresh, opening up other threads in new tabs. But it seems like the tab just keeps slowly eating up more and more memory until I close it, going to a new page won't help it. For example, I opened a tab of my user control panel last night and it ended up staying open all today since I was out and not at my computer. This is what I came back to:

I'm on the beta channel I think, if it matters. Could it be an extension or something?

Yeah I get this too. I've tried turning off all extensions etc. I'm on standard chrome by the way. Hopefully it gets fixed soon but I'm resigned to just killing windows or having them crash every so often for now.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Drevoak posted:

If you are on windows there's actually a program someone made to play it on the desktop. Its really well made, it has notification of whats playing and supports the standard media buttons so if you're keyboard has next/pause/play buttons they'll work.

That looks decent, I might look at it.

Is anyone else getting frozen gifs again in chrome? I remember before when I had this issue I think I fixed it by disabling pepperflash, but thats the only one I have installed now. It doesn't happen on every gif, which makes it irritating. Opening it up in a new tab works, clicking on it like I could before doesn't.

Tested on a clean profile as well with no addins. Windows stable here. My google-fu is only finding old posts from last year.

kri kri fucked around with this message at 02:26 on May 28, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

kri kri posted:

That looks decent, I might look at it.

Is anyone else getting frozen gifs again in chrome? I remember before when I had this issue I think I fixed it by disabling pepperflash, but thats the only one I have installed now. Tested on a clean profile as well with no addins. Windows stable here. My google-fu is only finding old posts from last year.

Actually, I was just noticing that today. It happens even if I open an incognito window, so it doesn't seem to be extension related. Version 27.0.1453.94 m

Also, the context menu is stupid, tall, and metroified :(.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
So does --disable-new-menu-style not work anymore? I've been stuck with the stupid new menus ever since v28 got promoted to the beta channel.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007
No, it doesn't work anymore. :(

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Is it possible to change that with an extension? Not asking if one exists, just asking if it's possible.

or maybe some user.css option or something?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Ok, how come I can't install the dev version on my computer? I uninstalled it to try and start it fresh, but even a fresh install says "Chrome is already updated" despite being uninstalled. I just went ahead and installed the beta version. Also after installing my extensions were back again :confused:

Related, why is my iOS Chrome displaying the wrong computer name? I changed my computer name (on Windows 8), and even after reinstalling both desktop and iOS Chrome it wants to call the desktop one the old name. Syncs just fine, just under the wrong name.

bsaber
Jul 27, 2007

crestfallen posted:

Is it possible to change that with an extension? Not asking if one exists, just asking if it's possible.

or maybe some user.css option or something?

Not that I know of.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Chrome is increasingly annoying.

Can't use in-built updates because it sulks at running an admin account.
Can't handle media-heavy pages without becoming a laggy POS.

Have we got any confirmed fixes for the gif-lag other than the disabling in-built flash optino which has never worked for me?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

WastedJoker posted:

Can't handle media-heavy pages without becoming a laggy POS.

Example? I haven't run into this yet.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

WastedJoker posted:

Have we got any confirmed fixes for the gif-lag other than the disabling in-built flash optino which has never worked for me?

I'm running OS X 10.8.3 and Chrome dev 28.0.1500.20 and have no gif lag.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Google new to really work in their Cozy/Comfortable/Compact menu styles to Chrome. On 1366*768, the menu on what I assume would be Cozy on Gmail goes all the way to the task bar and has a lot of wasted screen space.

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

datajosh posted:

So does --disable-new-menu-style not work anymore? I've been stuck with the stupid new menus ever since v28 got promoted to the beta channel.

nm, wrong fix

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Why is Chrome so lovely at gif animations?

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Why can't I find all my apps in the v28 new tab window?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Eight Is Legend posted:

Why can't I find all my apps in the v28 new tab window?

Did you click the apps tab?