Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Atlus USA has an official trailer up for SMT4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj_kSYZ3Nys

Also, coming August 8 worldwide (supposedly) is eShop title SteamWorld Dig, which looks all right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmILgleMlYI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I might be wrong but I think even the small 3DS models no longer include the cradle.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I didn't even know it had a cradle. I just usually lean back in my computer chair and start playing with it still plugged in and charging. If I want to get cinematic I grab my 2.1 speaker plug and put it in the headphone jack for 3DS wubbing.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
FE: Awakening was everything that I expected and much, much more. :frogc00l:

The fact that I have to plan out my strategy carefully reminds me why I like the Megami Tensei games so much. My niece started playing the game and she seems to adore it as well. :3:

With that in mind (and apropos of nothing in regards to those two franchises), how is the Naruto / Rock Lee game? The demo seems to be kinda boring, since it's mostly training. Does it get better down the road?

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

So today I bought my wife a 3DS XL, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and a $20 3DS card for her birthday. Do you think she'll like the Luigi game? She's not big into adventure games (Zelda) or platformers (except for Kirby games) but enjoys Nintendo Land's Ghost Mansion. Good choice? :ohdear:

Edoraz
Nov 20, 2007

Takin ova da world :cool:

Cherokee Jack posted:

So today I bought my wife a 3DS XL, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon and a $20 3DS card for her birthday. Do you think she'll like the Luigi game? She's not big into adventure games (Zelda) or platformers (except for Kirby games) but enjoys Nintendo Land's Ghost Mansion. Good choice? :ohdear:

Yeah, good choice. The game is much slower paced compared to Zelda games and most platformers. She'll probably love the actual adventure gameplay.

Cherokee Jack
Dec 27, 2005

Edoraz posted:

Yeah, good choice. The game is much slower paced compared to Zelda games and most platformers. She'll probably love the actual adventure gameplay.

Awesome. I'm keeping the Nintendo points for myself. :)

Now to get a bunch of RPG's and she'll be set for a while.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cherokee Jack posted:

Don't forget to set up a Family Account on the Club Nintendo site.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Saoshyant posted:

Atlus USA has an official trailer up for SMT4:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oj_kSYZ3Nys
Still using press turn combat, oh yeahhhh :getin:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

drat, minis on the move is hard. Seems like lots of content for the money though.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Anyone who doesn't have a copy yet, OoT 3D is on sale for $30 new at Best Buy right now. Happy accident that I found it while looking for DKCR.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Anyone able to recommend a good deal on a 3dsXL in australia? considering buying one, but a bit put off by price.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SMT Soul Hackers has an EU release date - September 13!

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Just got a great deal on an XL so I want to sell my 3ds. What is a fair price to ask for for a like new Fire Emblem 3ds bundle?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Looking at Amazon/Ebay, the cheapest price I can find is $230.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Ularg posted:

I also have a question for people playing Monster Hunter: How do you feel about the graphics? Does the level of detail bother you at all or after longer play sessions? It seemed like there were a lot of tiny details that was hidden behind jagged models.

On the 3DS I don't mind, they fit well, but god is that game ugly in HD.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Sire Oblivion posted:

I actually don't mind it in HD. I mean, sure, it's clearly not made with that in mind, but I'd hardly call it ugly. I've got well over 100 hours on my save and the graphics have never really bothered me at all.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

It looks better than Tri did, in any case. That game looked like someone took the PSP games, blew them up to TV size, and then rubbed vaseline all over the screen.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Cake Attack posted:

Looking at Amazon/Ebay, the cheapest price I can find is $230.

Cool, I'll make a thread in SA Mart for $215 before I try eBay.

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

I'm looking to buy an SD card for Animal Crossing (mine already has Fire Emblem on it and is running out of space, so I need to upgrade). Is this one good, or do y'all have any recommendations? I'm worried about getting one that will fail.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007M51J3I

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Tithin Melias posted:

Anyone able to recommend a good deal on a 3dsXL in australia? considering buying one, but a bit put off by price.

Just an American one, seriously. Set the region to Alberta Canada and you can use your credit card on it. Instead of paying $50-$60 for games in Australia, get them for $40 from the NA eShop.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure that a Class 4 or 6 should be more than enough. People have mentioned that there's no real advantage of using a Class 10 SD Card when it comes to the 3DS.

If it's about the storage capacity, though, I'd say that it's pretty good, unless you plan to have a huge library of every "mainstream" game available.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Wark Say posted:

I'm pretty sure that a Class 4 or 6 should be more than enough. People have mentioned that there's no real advantage of using a Class 10 SD Card when it comes to the 3DS.

If it's about the storage capacity, though, I'd say that it's pretty good, unless you plan to have a huge library of every "mainstream" game available.

Yeah the pack-in cards are class 4 so I wouldn't worry about that. I need to grab a 32Gb card myself soon since I'm currently having to swap out SD cards to play Luigi's Mansion.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I noticed no difference when going from the 4 it came with to a 10. Don't pay extra for a higher class (I got mine free). My 16gb feels pretty cavernous but I buy retail games on carts rather than digital so there's not a lot of big stuff on there.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Sire Oblivion posted:

Interesting, I never thought I'd hear that. I gave it another try today and realized, even in 3D, just how smooth the framerate and animations were. I first tried out the long swordsman and got frustrated half way through. I tried the Sword and shield and got used to rolling out of the way of attacks and had a lot more fun. But classes with the big two handers I couldn't get right. The camera controls just bother me, I can't control them with the bottom screen because my hand is too busy trying to attack or dodge at the right moment. It needs a lock on future, I'm sorry to say. Enemies just move way faster than I can move my camera or character to recenter camera.

Also, there should be quite a few 3DS titles at Best Buy on sale for $30. There's also a "Buy 2, get one free" on used titles.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

There is a lock on feature for monsters! Put the panel on your touch screen (I put mine under the camera control) and tap it once after you run into a monster. Then tapping the L trigger will center the camera on the monster for you.

e: also if you hit L with nothing locked on it centers the camera behind you.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 05:06 on May 25, 2013

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Awesome! posted:

There is a lock on feature for monsters! Put the panel on your touch screen (I put mine under the camera control) and tap it once after you run into a monster. Then tapping the L trigger will center the camera on the monster for you.

That's a bit better, actually. I think that will push me over to buying this. I was hoping for one that actively tracks and a way to use the touchpad to swap between lock on targets. It seems only my quest objective is lockable. I'm not sure if that's because everything else is useless and not a fight compared.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Right the only things you would ever really want to lock on to are the big monsters. If there are two of them you get two target selections. The little monsters are only ever an annoyance. Unless I need parts or meat or something I only ever really kill them if they piss me off too much by ramming me. Wastes of time and sharpness.

I'm actually pretty glad it doesn't auto-track the camera when locked on. that would make life even more miserable when there's more than one monster on screen. Also depending on the monster, having the camera directly behind you could cause sight problems. You're often attacking the legs of huge things and the last thing you want is the camera fighting to stay in the thing's rear end in a top hat when you want to swing it around.

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 25, 2013

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Shlapintogan posted:

I actually don't mind it in HD. I mean, sure, it's clearly not made with that in mind, but I'd hardly call it ugly. I've got well over 100 hours on my save and the graphics have never really bothered me at all.

Poly-counts are low, textures are extremely muddy and the game has issues with frame rate issues that aren't present in the 3DS version. It's pretty bad. Then again, it's basically a PS2 game running in HD so it's to be expected. Doesn't make the game any worse, but the game definitely doesn't look good.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
It's technically not very impressive but the art style goes a long way towards making me not care.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Just an American one, seriously. Set the region to Alberta Canada and you can use your credit card on it. Instead of paying $50-$60 for games in Australia, get them for $40 from the NA eShop.

Can you recommend a place to purchase an american 3dsxl then that wont charge an arseton for postage?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Oh wow, I looked up some Monster Hunter video for the Wii U and I have to agree. It looks nice and it probably wouldn't bother me, but I have a 3DS and not a Wii U. I was more worry about missing out on the "true" monster hunter by playing it on a handheld. I was also worried about some stuff on the 3DS being way too small since my eyesight is kinda balls anyway.

Edit: Oh and also I'd really like Online cooperative play.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Streetpass Mii Plaza Accomplishment posted:

Congratulations! You bought three identical Puzzle Swap pieces in a row!

Do you think that's funny, bitch? Do you think that poo poo is loving funny? Get out of my face.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Tithin Melias posted:

Can you recommend a place to purchase an american 3dsxl then that wont charge an arseton for postage?

I couldn't when I was looking around for mine, but honestly with shipping the price is comparable to buying it here, and the savings on games is well worth it. The seller I bought mine from doesn't have any at the moment, here's the cheapest I could find:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-NINT...d1ed0d66&_uhb=1

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Do you think that's funny, bitch? Do you think that poo poo is loving funny? Get out of my face.

It is quite hosed up that spending 2 playcoins on a piece still doesn't guarrantee you won't get a duplicate.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Tithin Melias posted:

203 - Amazon Free Shipping
8.50 - Shipito individual package

Then add on the cost for the shipping companies. For a 3DS XL size box, you're looking at:

22.67 - Airmail Priority (less without insurance)
31.44 - TNT Express
42.43 - FedEx Priority

So at most you'd be paying about 10-15 more than getting one from Australia (apart from JB's $200 specials that is).

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lumpy the Cook posted:

On the plus side, I found out today that you get an accomplishment for streetpassing someone (my little sister!) on their birthday :3:

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Did I somehow miss it or does the 3DS not give any sort of low battery warning?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fellatio del Toro posted:

The power light on the front turns red, at least on the regular. Some of the games I've played have also displayed it in game, and the home screen definitely has it.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Fellatio del Toro posted:

The blue power LED on the bottom of the system turns red, and I want to say the Spotpass LED flashes red for a second, but I may be mistaken on that one. The way you hold the system may be covering the power LED, I've definitely not noticed my battery going dead because my hand was blocking the LED.

That's how it works with the original 3DS model, at least. No idea if they changed it for the XL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nah, it goes red on the XL too, and like Zore said some games will pop up a warning

• Locked thread