Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

(Attempt 2 at my XIII LP. Beefed up OP, made use of autoducking)

Conspiracy theories meet comic books meet video games! Let's play XIII

The background on this game: XIII was originally a 1980's comic book series from Belgium. This is a 2003 cel-shaded FPS based upon the first five volumes of said comic. It didn't do well upon release, but maintains a cult following (myself included). While rather lackluster in plot and gameplay, it's got a definite comic-book feel, complete with panel-style animations and onomatopoeia.

Basic plot rundown: The American president has been assassinated. A man with a "XIII" tattoo washes up on a beach, somehow connected to the incident but has no memory of how. As he tries to retrace his past, he is hounded by the government, a conspiracy to overtake the government simply called "the XX," and a mysterious man referred to as the "Mongoose."

What I will be doing: I will play through the game and explain what I like about it. I will make note of funny background dialogue, plot holes, generally stupid things and any other things I can think of. As the game progresses, I'll show off intelligence, characters and the like in the thread. In addition, I have learned how to extract the music files and edit them into a form which one can actually listen to. (It's stored as a mass of jumbled sound in a formerly unreadable format.)

PART 1: The death of the president. Faces hidden behind shadows. An amnesiac man on a beach.

So who did we meet of importance?

THE MAIN MYSTERY MAN

We are this guy. No name, no past other than that we're supposed to be dead. There's a "XIII" tattooed on our chest. ....that's about it, really.

THE OTHER MYSTERY MAN

He's trying to kill us. And he wants the safe key we were found with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

Fedule posted:

But regeeeeex!

OK, yeah, TextEdit kicks rear end for a default, system-bundled text editor. It's simple, but it's not dumb like Notepad is. Plus it's got the whole systemwide constant-autosave going on. TextEdit is like an unsung hero of OSX. I tell ya, I never realized how good TextEdit was until the day I bought a PC.

Does everyone just forget Wordpad exists or what? It doesn't do the stuff the modern version of notepad does.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Cheez posted:

Does everyone just forget Wordpad exists or what? It doesn't do the stuff the modern version of notepad does.

Probably because it's garbage and Notepad++ exists.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
if you want the simplicity of Notepad but not the shittyness, use Notepad2. I prefer it over Notepad++, because it's much less bloated. No fancy shmancy bonus features, just everything that Notepad and Wordpad does, but better.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Okay, I've decided to attempt a Civ V G&K LP, now that I've got a non-crap computer and some time on my hands with the semester ending. Fargle's LP is entertaining but there's no way he can show off everything G&K offers in one go. This would be a Boudicca run to show off religion supporting military expansion.

My only questions are, should I run most of it in Strategic View, which is less graphics-pretty but much more visually comprehensible (you can tell where hills and rivers are, etc), and what is the optimal way to get screenshots that won't break the forum tables? Run it at a smaller resolution by default or manually tesize screen grabs afterwards?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Speedball posted:

manually tesize screen grabs afterwards?

Preferably this. You either resize them in the way you want, or play at the resolution you want your shots to be in. As for the view, I'd say stick with the default. Strategic helps if you know what you are looking at and have hard time running the default, but it's overall a lot less appealing to the eye.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

sentrygun posted:

Probably because it's garbage and Notepad++ exists.

When you're just writing plain text there's absolutely no reason to call wordpad "garbage", or require jumping through hoops downloading software that does everything you DON'T need it to do.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Writing plain text is exactly when you need an editor that isn't garbage.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To be fair, Notepad does have the whole cutting-edge "turn off word wrap" option, which is all I need out of it.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Lizard Wizard posted:

To be fair, Notepad does have the whole cutting-edge "turn off word wrap" option, which is all I need out of it.

So does Notepad++.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Cheez posted:

When you're just writing plain text there's absolutely no reason to call wordpad "garbage", or require jumping through hoops downloading software that does everything you DON'T need it to do.

All you need to write an update is plain text, with none of the weird stuff word processors tend to do. Notepad++ doesn't do a ton of weird stuff. Use notepad or ++ or 2 or whatever. Don't use wordpad, never use word for updates.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

You don't know what you're missing until you use an editor that has customizable snippets-with-placeholders and BBcode shortcuts/coloring.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
I have a friend who used to type with just two fingers for years. I tried to persuade her to touch-type, saying "It's so much better," to no avail. Recently she finally taught herself to touch-type, and told me that I had been right the whole time, and she hadn't realized what she was missing.

Why mention this anecdote? Because using a good text editor is kind of like touch-typing in that way: you can go along for years with Notepad and never know what you're missing, but when you finally listen to everyone telling you to switch and try switching, you'll realize just how much better it is on the other side of the fence and you'll never want to switch back. Being a Unix guy, I'm partial to Vim myself, but that's not a good one for beginners; Notepad++ or Notepad2 would be a better one for someone switching from Notepad. But seriously, pick just about anything and you'll have a much better experience than Notepad.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Cheez posted:

Well for me it's the fixed-width font thing. Helvetica or TNR is fine for publications or if you're writing a paper in university, but Courier is the One True Font for personal use. I find that variable-width fonts make my eyes a little drifty when they're on a computer screen which is fine if you're reading stuff, but not really conducive to getting poo poo done if you're writing it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Three things I noticed:

1. It may just be me, but I had to turn down my volume quite a bit to listen at a tolerable level. So it's a bit loud.

2. Are you doing post commentary or a running one? If it's post then you might want to try and time your commenting so you're not running up against the cutscenes so often, I know that it's the first video and therefore it's a lot of cutscenes but you don't want to be saying "oh, exposition, I'll shut up" before every single one. Also, what are you going to be talking about during the later levels that are quite a bit of just running and shooting? You might consider co-commenters.

3. Make sure your videos are being done at 1280x720 if possible. That makes it much more likely that Youtube will let it be viewed in 760p.

Otherwise, off to a good start!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

DreamShipWrecked posted:

3. Make sure your videos are being done at 1280x720 if possible. That makes it much more likely that Youtube will let it be viewed in 760p.
Might be worth doing a LancozResize to a vertical resolution of 760 to make it a guarantee (this would be 1351x760). If you're doing a high enough bitrate encode this shouldn't make any noticeable difference in the finished product. 3500 in MeGUI should be enough, but you can throw 5000 at it if you wanna be sure. It's not like Youtube gives a gently caress anymore, so really unless you're providing a source video download for Baldurk to archive it on Wayback you might as well go big.

e: Also yeah, regardless of what style you're using in your commentary, you should probably do some post-production to get timings right. It's very simple, just move the silence around the waveforms to snap them into focus. You can do it trivially in audacity as long as you've recorded the commentary separate from your game. It can just be time consuming if you have a bunch of things to handle.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:50 on May 26, 2013

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
All this trash-talking of Notepad, and nobody thinks to actually test? It's not Notepad's word-wrap that hosed up the text in that test-post. I don't know what did cause it, but there's no reason to insist people download third-party alternatives. (Particularly since every single alternative you guys've suggested gets owned by Sublime Text. Just sayin'.)

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Um, if you save a text file in notepad, all the wrapped words become individual lines in the text file. Nobody's lying about that.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Aerdan posted:

All this trash-talking of Notepad, and nobody thinks to actually test? It's not Notepad's word-wrap that hosed up the text in that test-post. I don't know what did cause it, but there's no reason to insist people download third-party alternatives. (Particularly since every single alternative you guys've suggested gets owned by Sublime Text. Just sayin'.)

I have several times put test updates together and then have hit post, only then realising I left word wrap on. It is definitely notepads problem. The first time I tried it, I didn't realise word wrap was the problem, so I spent ten minutes going through and turning it back to how it should be.

VV I don't know about saving, but try pasting into the test poster from word wrap.

Deformed Church fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 26, 2013

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Cheez posted:

Um, if you save a text file in notepad, all the wrapped words become individual lines in the text file. Nobody's lying about that.

Patently false (I just tried this scenario), unless it's a problem with older releases of Windows than 7.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Simply turning off Word Wrap and then copy/pasting again should fix the text. Don't need to adjust anything.

Then again, I don't have to worry about that with Notepad++, plus I have macros set up to add bold/italic/underline tags with a quick key combo. Plus there's probably other useful features I don't use.

In summary, use whatever the gently caress you want to use (though I find typing updates right in the "Post Message" field too risky, plus I like having back-ups of my updates in case something bad happens).

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I've had this issue with Notepad too and I'm on a routinely updated version of Windows 7. It certainly did have something to do with word wrapping. In one instance even turning WW off and pasting the text into an SA post had weird formatting. So it's not patently false.

Not that it's an issue for me anymore because I have Notepad++ to avoid any potential problems. It's not loving hard to download one more application when, if you've been following the forums advice, you've likely downloaded a number of open source or otherwise free applications that technically windows comes equipped with. If it's such a pain to download ++ then can I ask if you're sticking with Windows' Sound Recorder and Movie Maker, too?

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

Well for me it's the fixed-width font thing. Helvetica or TNR is fine for publications or if you're writing a paper in university, but Courier is the One True Font for personal use.

Courier New :colbert:

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

orenronen posted:

You don't know what you're missing until you use an editor that has customizable snippets-with-placeholders and BBcode shortcuts/coloring.
I don't know the first thing you said, but there's an editor with BBcode stuff?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Courier Prime?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Aerdan posted:

Patently false (I just tried this scenario), unless it's a problem with older releases of Windows than 7.

Happens to me all the time in Notepad, and I'm on Windows 7. That's why I brought it up in the first place, because that test post totally looked exactly like what happens if you leave word wrap on. It doesn't actually happen 100% of the time though, but turning off word wrap always fixes it when it does happen.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Sundowner posted:

Not that it's an issue for me anymore because I have Notepad++ to avoid any potential problems. It's not loving hard to download one more application when, if you've been following the forums advice, you've likely downloaded a number of open source or otherwise free applications that technically windows comes equipped with. If it's such a pain to download ++ then can I ask if you're sticking with Windows' Sound Recorder and Movie Maker, too?

You might see an abomination above, but my eyes would never forgive me if I switched to whatever the cool kids are using. Wordpad works fine for me for fiction writing, LP updates, essays, and whatever other writing I want.

Comparing what text editor one uses to whatever they use to edit sound/video is silly. I don't need anything complicated for text (and if you suck at writing, the fanciest word processor won't save you! Hah!), but video/audio is a different beast. I'm probably not the only one who uses a mishmash of programs for LPing, either--my choices in video editing software now are based on trying to make decent game videos. I've really only had to upgrade video editing-wise, because every other component was already caught up from past hobbies. I used to mess around in audio programs for cleaning up music rips and the like, so I already had what I wanted to use in LPing.

Compared to audio/video editing programs, what text editor you use doesn't matter anywhere near as much. Honestly, most problems in writing come down to the person, not the program. Let me chisel out my thoughts on stone tablets in peace.

How Ingratiating! fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 26, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Aerdan posted:

(Particularly since every single alternative you guys've suggested gets owned by Sublime Text. Just sayin'.)

Sublime Text 2 is $70 dude, and it's meant for programmers.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

Suspicious Dish posted:

Sublime Text 2 is $70 dude, and it's meant for programmers.

...You can evaluate for an unlimited duration for free. As for 'meant for programmers'...so are all the alternatives mentioned. I fail to see why that's a point against it?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Well, since it's all the rage these days, here's a peek at my SSLP process.

I honestly don't get all the "you should use something other than Notepad to make things better" chat going around. It doesn't bloody take much.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.
Honestly the one thing that should be said about this "debate" is as long as the end results are there and good, who cares about how they are achieved?

Why did you people spend an entire page arguing about text programs, good lord. It's not as if typing needs to be rocket science or anything.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

Lizard Wizard posted:

Honestly the one thing that should be said about this "debate" is as long as the end results are there and good, who cares about how they are achieved?

Why did you people spend an entire page arguing about text programs, good lord. It's not as if typing needs to be rocket science or anything.
Writing my posts in MS Word and then copy-pasting them over has honestly

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

How Ingratiating! posted:

Compared to audio/video editing programs, what text editor you use doesn't matter anywhere near as much. Honestly, most problems in writing come down to the person, not the program. Let me chisel out my thoughts on stone tablets in peace.

By all means stick to what you prefer. I wasn't ready to defend Notepad++ to the grave or anything. I've had issues with the default Notepad so I switched to another one.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

No, you see, someone on the Internet has a different opinion than I do. I must inform them how wrong they are so I can look cool in the Let Us Play Sandcastle.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Everyone is better than everyone else. That's what I took away from this discussion.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

There has never been a battle so intense with passion as the editor wars.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
The only text editor you'll ever need.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

DarkHamsterlord posted:

The only text editor you'll ever need.

I only use this as my text editor of choice:

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

itotaku posted:

I only use this as my text editor of choice:

I like to make more visual notes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Talk about process should not be discouraged at all, because the process by which you create your posts will very strongly affect how much you enjoy what you're doing.

But, that said, it's probably more appropriate for TSF than it is here.

• Locked thread