Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Teleporting patrols have a nasty habit of porting directly into the fray in my current impossible game :mad:
Sectopods does it nearly every time I meet them, but mutons/muton elites does it too.

Had a terror mission with 2 sectopods, a cyberdisc, 2 mutons, a berserker and 6 drones active at once. The next ufo crash site activated 9 muton elites, 2 mutons and a berserker. My two heavies with fusion launchers and an ITZ sniper saved the day twice - barely :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How do you guys like to deal with Abductor and Supply Ships?

Abductors, I like to clear their loading bay section using a squad sight sniper set up on the rock ridge out in the distance. You can take hard cover and spot on the corner of the ship, and you can always use the soft cover + smoke if you want to approach the little stasis units. Afterwards, I like to take the roof (and its hard cover) and drop down on one of the power sources and use that to breach the surgery bay. Unfortunately, there's only one entrance to the bridge, so everyone just bumrushes it.

Supply ships, you start on either the bridge side or the hangar side. But they're sealed from one another so they can be taken independently. I never go down the middle of the hangar, it looks like a deathtrap of intercrossing fire. I usually take the roof of the hangar clear it, and then drop down on one side of it, and works from the hard cover doors. I've tried breaching from both sides, but then I usually get defeated in detail every time that happens and forced to retreat to the roof again, leaving an angry activated pack roaming around somewhere.

For the middle warehouse section, I've had alot of luck using the roof of the hangar section as a place to plonk squadsighters to fire down the middle of the ship, and use the roof for concealment so I can push my people close enough to flank. I've actually been thinking (but never had a chance because I haven't played for a while) of taking the middle warehouse first, that way I can double back into the killing zone that is the hangar and use the 3 doors as hard cover.

The bridge, of course, is easy, because it's a small room with 4 entrances and you can breach them perpendicularly and start flanking.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

OGS-Remix posted:

Aliens don't call for help, you just had an unusually cramped spawn/patrol pattern.

Abductors are prone to this since there are usually aliens both inside the bridge and the room directly outside. If you landed on a map where you start closer to the bridge rather then the open end, you can run into 2-3 packs immediately.

17 aliens is kind of :psyduck: though, I don't think I ever ran into that many even on impossible in an abductor.

Edit: UFOpedia says you can have 5 packs + 2 leader units, so that would be 17 at max.

It was the open end, that's why it was weird to see the Sectoid Commanders there. I was playing on classic.

It would be kind of cool if leader types could call in reinforcements. They are leaders and they are psychic, they should have both the authority and the ability to command nearby troops. You'd need to one-shot leaders, or else pick off everyone else and do the leaders last.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Lima posted:

Teleporting patrols have a nasty habit of porting directly into the fray in my current impossible game :mad:
Sectopods does it nearly every time I meet them, but mutons/muton elites does it too.

I've noticed it gets more frequent now that I'm scouting ahead using a ghosted support with sprint. I'll see their health bars, but they won't "activate" and teleport around the map each turn. And as soon as I run into another engagement they usually pour out of the woodwork. Actually makes for some really easy captures now that I'm running two shotgun assaults with psyonic capabilities.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Angela Christine posted:

It was the open end, that's why it was weird to see the Sectoid Commanders there. I was playing on classic.

It would be kind of cool if leader types could call in reinforcements. They are leaders and they are psychic, they should have both the authority and the ability to command nearby troops. You'd need to one-shot leaders, or else pick off everyone else and do the leaders last.

The Sectoid Commander alien is really just a holdover from UFO Defense, where, as we were talking about before, there were a bunch of different classes inside each alien race. Most didn't matter, they were Medics, Soldiers, Navigators, etc and it made absolutely no difference between them, other what you'd get out of them during an interrogation. The one big difference was the Sectoids. Leader and Commander class Sectoids were psychic, while the other classes were not. Psychic power was just as powerful if not more so in UFO Defense, so your punk enemies suddenly becoming psychic was a BIG DEAL.

It would've been better if they'd just called them Neo-Sectoid or something, the Commander moniker doesn't make any sense except for the first time you see them in the Alien Base.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Coolguye posted:

It would've been better if they'd just called them Neo-Sectoid or something, the Commander moniker doesn't make any sense except for the first time you see them in the Alien Base.

Eh, it's the same naming scheme that leads to Xcom operating a 6-Colonel death squad.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

nimby posted:

Eh, it's the same naming scheme that leads to Xcom operating a 6-Colonel death squad.
A perfectly sensible scheme considering the aliens decide to "abduct" or "invade" "high priority targets" on Earth with around 10-20 aliens at a time. :haw:

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Given the general damage and police cars in the area of many abduction missions, I suspect that the ones on the map are the ones the police or military couldn't handle before they were wiped out or retreated. After all, if you spray enough bullets at a floater they'll go down eventually. I like to think that when we discover a pack, we catch them while they're helping a dude patch up and shooting the poo poo while help arrives to pick them up (they clearly don't have a way to go anywhere given they show up in those pod things).

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How do abductions work anyway? Do they send out drop pods filled with aliens packed in like sardines or something? And another set of pods that spray green web gas that immobilises all humans in the vicinity? And then they wait for pickup from an abductor ship?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Coolguye posted:

Or gently caress it, replace the Commanders with Tasoths.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Coolguye posted:

Eh, I just assume they are commanding the ship. They replace outsiders, and are replaced by etherials. Outsiders could very well be an autopilot or remote control for a ship, controlled by the commander+gadget in the base. Once we take out the base the outsider antennas don't work anymore, so every ship needs a living commander/pilot/navigator guy.

I'm not sure why regular sectoids and thin men aren't capable of being ship Captains though. Interrogating a Thin Man reveals that they are especially good at navigation. Maybe the aliens don't use radio, so high command can only communicate with individual ships if they have a telepath or a functioning Outsider crystal on board.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
It's possible the ships are piloted telepathically and don't actually have any manual controls at all.

Not that the fluff of this game is super important or anything, but it fits with the whole hivemind/slave race thing the Ethereals have going on.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
One thing I do want for the expansion/sequel is a bigger squad size, 8 or 10 would be great. Just big enough to let you use two fireteams but not big enough to become a pain to manage.

The geoscape could also use some fleshing out and added complexity, right now I find it stupidly easy to win the geoscape game (its month four in my I/I game and my income is ~1k already plus I have 3/4 of the globe sat covered).

Also they need to bring back base attacks and multiple bases, I like the idea of a region requiring not only full sat coverage but also a base to het it's benefits.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

fennesz posted:

I think he's just pointing out that they're not more fleshed out. If there were more of them added to the game and became a more popular enemy type this would accomplish nothing because they're underutilized possibly due to lack of development time, etc.

Well sure, that's obvious. I'd love to see them become a more common/properly developed enemy via DLC or in an expansion or something so they can get some proper screen time.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Does the impossible difficulty setting change how panic works as well? The very first mission I did caused full panic in the two countries I wasn't able to go to. I feel like I'm doomed before I've even began.

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

fennesz posted:

Does the impossible difficulty setting change how panic works as well? The very first mission I did caused full panic in the two countries I wasn't able to go to. I feel like I'm doomed before I've even began.

All countries start at 2 panic, unchecked abductions cause 3 and raise it by 1 on the rest of the continent.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

fennesz posted:

Yep, welcome to Impossible.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Started a classic game and I'm wondering where the difficulty is. I haven't lost anyone from my starting squad yet and they're all Majors already.

Henry Scorpio
Mar 20, 2006

Maybe it just collapsed on its own?
The aliens definitely do call for help, the logic for that is managed by the 'over mind' layer of the game that guides mobile pods around the map. If you watch carefully sometimes when you get down to the last few aliens in a group they will call for help. You won't get it if the aliens are beating you, or if you wipe the aliens out in single turn (which is how you handle pods optimally).

This is an action they take during their turn, and it looks like an animation done in place while they make some alien sounds; sectoids rear up and make chittering sounds, floaters flail around and make ... floater sounds, thin men put their hand to their ear and make a weird artificial noise, sectopods open up their front and make inception horn sounds. Aliens that take this action will 'wake up' pods that are set to lurk (ie. just sit there) and attract any pods set to patrol. Similar things will happen if you run around breaking windows and busting down doors ( including running through alien doors ) - these actions create points of interest for patrolling pods to go to, and will wake up nearby lurking pods.

In reference to all the aliens clustering together - I don't know if that sounds like the call for help system though. Unless you encountered a lone commander and then ran away, in which case the alien's call for help logic could have run if they were outnumbered badly by you.

Henry Scorpio fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 25, 2013

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Revener posted:

Started a classic game and I'm wondering where the difficulty is. I haven't lost anyone from my starting squad yet and they're all Majors already.

Then play impossible now.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Revener posted:

Try ironman impossible.

Also, I have to say, I've never been so disappointed that a game doesn't have a ton of DLC. I want more X-Com Enemy Unknown content really badly.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I've hit a frustrating bug. Large-ish UFO landing mission, I send my guys in, kill a cyberdisk + drones. Get jumped by two squads of mutons, who after their arrival cinematic and initial moves finish their turn, and then nothing. The game just sits on Alien Activity with everyone stood still and won't budge. This happens every single time, and I've never had this sort of trouble before. Any way round this? It's the only recent save I have, stupidly.

nacon
May 7, 2005

FordPRefectLL posted:

Try ironman impossible.

Also, I have to say, I've never been so disappointed that a game doesn't have a ton of DLC. I want more X-Com Enemy Unknown content really badly.

Truly. I'd pay $5 for 5 new maps. I'd pay $10 for some new armor kits to play soldier dressup. JUST TAKE MY MONEY

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

nacon posted:

Truly. I'd pay $5 for 5 new maps. I'd pay $10 for some new armor kits to play soldier dressup. JUST TAKE MY MONEY

Word. I already bought Slingshot just for a bunch of hats.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

Holy poo poo, I am finally off to a good midgame in Ironman Impossible. I lost a few good men and had seriously lucky breaks dodging enemy fire (along with unlucky breaks, aka Council mission defusing bombs in the graveyard map with a total of 16 Thin Men killed), but now I beat the alien base without stunning the psychic since my Arc Thrower carrier got offed and have put satellites in every surviving country. I also haven't used the overwatch bug, for once, but I have used Suppression in exposed aliens since I believe that counts (e.g. they could fire back with an aim penalty and I expend ammo anyway).

Crossed fingers I'll keep succeeding.

j4on
Jul 6, 2003
I fix computers to pick up chicks.

nacon posted:

Totally. I'd pay $15 for a bunch of new maps that were more "global" looking and matched to appropriate continents. Or $5 for regional accents.

Welmu
Oct 9, 2007
Metri. Piiri. Sekunti.

ThomasPaine posted:

I've hit a frustrating bug. Large-ish UFO landing mission, I send my guys in, kill a cyberdisk + drones. Get jumped by two squads of mutons, who after their arrival cinematic and initial moves finish their turn, and then nothing. The game just sits on Alien Activity with everyone stood still and won't budge. This happens every single time, and I've never had this sort of trouble before. Any way round this? It's the only recent save I have, stupidly.

Use the dev console to 'killaliens' and instantly finish the mission or go hog wild with unlimitedmoves.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Is there a limit to promotion lvels you can get per mission?

I just had a squaddie heavy kill 7 thin men with one rocket. Only got promoted one rank.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Execu-speak posted:

I just had a squaddie heavy kill 7 thin men with one rocket. Only got promoted one rank.
It's all based on increasing experience caps so I doubt it.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Per mission you can only gain one level but the exp carries over so you'll get your next promotion more quickly. But 7 kills isn't really that much =P

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Am I a dumb for installing Warspace Extension and playing on Classic in my first game? I am usually losing half my team in every mission. :saddowns:

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

SplitSoul posted:

Am I a dumb for installing Warspace Extension and playing on Classic in my first game? I am usually losing half my team in every mission. :saddowns:

Sounds like you're getting a very authentic XCOM experience. Keep on going, I say.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

SplitSoul posted:

I doubt that's Warspace Extension. I don't really agree that it makes the game any more difficult, despite what the mod creator belligerently says. It changes the rules so the game has a bit more life in it, which can be cool after you've run ramshod through the vanilla game a few times, after you get the hang of the changes it plays very similarly to the base game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Are there any overhauls worth using besides Implassic/that work with Implassic? I know I need a difficulty increase, but I like shooting lots of things, so Implassic seems right up my alley.

The last time I played, my best sniper units were my commandos with Alloy Cannons and my sniper couldn't hit anything important, ever. He functioned as a mind control target of choice for some reason, so some missions would be mostly getting shot at by that inept bastard.

Doctor Goat fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 26, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Quick question about multiplayer! Does it have to be played live at the same time as your opponent? Or can you load up the game and take your turn, then switch the console off and go do something else while it notifies your opponent that it's their turn? Then log in a day or so later for example and be notified that your opponent has taken their turn?

I've never played an XCOM game before, but I would like to check out a strategy game that has that style of multiplayer where I can log in once a day to take my turn.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

MUFFlNS posted:

Quick question about multiplayer! Does it have to be played live at the same time as your opponent? Or can you load up the game and take your turn, then switch the console off and go do something else while it notifies your opponent that it's their turn? Then log in a day or so later for example and be notified that your opponent has taken their turn?

I've never played an XCOM game before, but I would like to check out a strategy game that has that style of multiplayer where I can log in once a day to take my turn.

XCOM MP is live. You both have to sit in front of the game until someone wins or gives up. Given that by default there's a 90-120 second time limit on turns, the wait usually isn't too long before you get to do something again.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

MUFFlNS posted:

It sounds like you want Frozen Synapse.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Hog Butcher posted:

Are there any overhauls worth using besides Implassic/that work with Implassic? I know I need a difficulty increase, but I like shooting lots of things, so Implassic seems right up my alley.

The last time I played, my best sniper units were my commandos with Alloy Cannons and my sniper couldn't hit anything important, ever. He functioned as a mind control target of choice for some reason, so some missions would be mostly getting shot at by that inept bastard.
I don't know of any mods made to work with Implassic. However, all Implassic does is change the DefaultGameCore.ini settings.

So you could try some other mod like Warspace and just migrate the Classic settings to Impossible settings in the DefaultGameCore.ini file, then you should be good to go, just that the adjustment was never playtested with the original mod. Perhaps you would be the first.

Or you could play vanilla Impossible difficulty.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

revtoiletduck posted:

It sounds like you want Frozen Synapse.

Or Dominions 3 or Sword of the Stars if you want something bigger. All three are great games, but a bit rough around the edges. Frozen Synapse is probably right up your alley though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Execu-speak posted:

I've had lower-level soldiers promoted twice in a mission before, so you just had bad luck.

• Locked thread