Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I knew what would happen due to having read a summary of most of the manga a while ago, but episode was still mindblowingly awesome in motion. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
So the titan's weakpoint is the back of the neck and that is the point that Eren sprouted from. Does that mean that all titans are "piloted"?

Soks
Apr 1, 2006
lol internet
Well, they've been cutting chunks out of titan necks for many years now, you'd think they'd notice if they were chopping out normal sized human body parts when doing so.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Silentman0 posted:

It turns out this is a mecha series. Surprise!

It would be right at home with the rest of the series this season. Super giant titan mechas!

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
Another great episode. I just hope that the stuff they showed in the preview isn't too drawn out and annoying. So far everything been good but there are hints that there could be a bit of a preachy morality tale coming as we learn more about the world and backstory.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
While I enjoyed the episode, I feel the story didn't move along much, (you could probably cut the episode down to 5 minutes) compared to the first few episodes where so much stuff happened so quickly.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.
One thing I love about this show is that something about how they portray the streets and buildings really makes the city feel like a real place and not just a backdrop for fights.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I like that Googly Eyes Titan doesn't have ridiculous eyes for no good reason. Either they're resistant to damage, or they regenerate quicker, I'm sure of it. Why else is that the only one that can see?

This adaptation is really great. But drat, those squelchy noises are horrific at times.

McDragon fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 26, 2013

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
There's a kind of grades sheet for the graduates.

Translation key (clockwise, starting at 12 o'clock):
Evaluation
Intelligence
Cooperation
Weight
Height
Initiative
Combat

No idea how the evaluation grade was decided, since Armin's has no sensible relation to his final rank.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
There's something delightful about Sasha and Connie having garbage stats.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Also most of them seem to be overrated in combat.

Death Cube K
Mar 20, 2008

You're pretentious, this club sucks, I have beef. Let's fight.
That's quite a drop off for a group that's supposed to be the best out of all the recruits. No wonder everyone who can't even keep up with Sasha and Connie gets wasted so easily.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
It's a pretty weird scoring system, putting height/weight at the same level of importance as performance. And I'm not sure what evaluation is supposed to mean, did they just add the army's subjective rankings of the characters? If so they're pretty wack, as mentioned Armin sure doesn't deserve that A+, and Christa/Connie/Sasha seem to be purely riding on their cooperation (while Annie and Ymir gets way trashed by theirs, which makes sense at least).

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
It makes sense if you think that Armin gets a high evaluation because he's being groomed for command. Armin seems to have a knack for quick thinking and strategy, as evidenced by the plan this episode.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
It makes more sense if you consider that the grade isn't connect to their other stats. The grade is just their school grade they got and the stats are their potential or performance in the battlefield.

It really should of been a list rather than that graph.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 26, 2013

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
The Eren reveal was disappointing. Everything that happened to him just so convenient (he even got his limbs back) that I hope there are serious consequences other than the elite being mustache twirling villains again. I also hope we didn't pass the high point of the series when Badass Titan died.

This series has proven to be mostly well written thus far, the biggest exception being how it handles villains. The titans are easy because their motivation and thought process is extremely simple. But I can see the series go steeply downhill if it starts introducing badly written intelligent villains whose only purpose is to show how right the heroes are. That does seem like a thing in anime, since even Legend of the Galactic Heroes does it at the start.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Those are kind of silly graphs. For one thing height and weight aren't necessarily a good thing at all, and could even be a liability considering the type of combat. I know the area of the graph isn't even pretending to represent actual overall aptitude (the "evaluation" stat alone seems to do that), but it's still a weird way to present that information.

Looks like they're implying that the top 10 were ranked by combat ability alone, but even then you have some discrepancies, and it's calibrated oddly if so many people who are ranked 6 are in the top 10.

ShardPhoenix posted:

One thing I love about this show is that something about how they portray the streets and buildings really makes the city feel like a real place and not just a backdrop for fights.
Indeed! And that's one of the things that's much better than the manga. Which is not to say the manga didn't have thoughtful backdrops- the idea behind where they were fighting was pretty much the same. It was just so poorly drawn.

It didn't take away too much from the story or atmosphere in the manga, but the improvement adds so much to the atmosphere of the anime.

Mercrom posted:

The Eren reveal was disappointing.
I'll be honest, when I was reading the manga I felt the same way. But now I can't imagine the story taking any other turn and being half as interesting.

Znorelag
Oct 25, 2009
So I wonder how long it takes before Eren gets eaten again.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I think we're all forgetting that the high point of the episode was Eren punting the tiny titans when he got the Supply HQ.

Pretty glad to see that both Connie and Sasha survived. Given the show's tendency to kill named characters, I was legitimately worried for a while.

I'm curious to see how Eren's titan form works because he did regenerate from small injuries when he was fighting titans last episode and in the first half of this episode. Is it time limit thing or were those injuries too serious for him to heal? I guess we'll probably have to wait a few episodes since next week looks like an inquisition.

Centzon Totochtin fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 26, 2013

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Whoops, double post

Sorry Corals
Jan 2, 2010

By the chart I suppose Krista got bonus points for being able to dupe titans into thinking she's a tasteless squirrel or pigeon.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Silentman0 posted:

There's something delightful about Sasha and Connie having garbage stats.

Annie looks kind of bad too, until you realise height and weight is on there and she's tiny. Mikasa is still a monster though. Surprised Hannes looks to be quite a strong all-rounder.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like Annie is better at combat than Reiner and Bert but got points deducted for being bad at cooperation.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

Sorry Corals posted:

By the chart I suppose Krista got bonus points for being able to dupe titans into thinking she's a tasteless squirrel or pigeon.

Well she did get the lowest rank of all the characters (depending on how you rate B?). Although considering Annie's high rank, I'm not sure why Ymir is below Connie/Sasha, since Annie/Ymir have very similar stats.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
let's imply spoilers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Eiba posted:

I'll be honest, when I was reading the manga I felt the same way. But now I can't imagine the story taking any other turn and being half as interesting.
To be clear I'm not at all saying this direction has less potential than a pet titan storyline. I'm just saying it feels pretty clumsy.

I was expecting a less anti-climactic reveal him just suddenly coming back out of the titan, limbs and all. I said earlier that it would suck if Mikasa rescued him by cutting him out of a titan, but I would prefer it to this. I would also prefer it if the show took a cue from Fullmetal Alchemist (a show I hate) and made him pay the price of power with parts of his body.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Serious question. Who the heck is Ymir?

And is this in any way official because to me it looks like a dumb loving way to "rank" characters. They are all 10s or 9s in combat anyway so who gives a poo poo. (I thought Eren was way worse for example and that Reiner, Bert(that is reiners buddy right?) Marco (Jeans buddy?) and Mikasa were way better)

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Affi posted:

Serious question. Who the heck is Ymir?

She's only appeared a couple of times. She's the girl with freckles who hangs around with Christa.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Cake Attack posted:

She's only appeared a couple of times. She's the girl with freckles who hangs around with Christa.

:confused: Christa?

(drat I really need to rewatch the training episodes. I am usually pretty good at these things)

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Did you not even look at the image you're talking about?

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Maybe I should have been more specific before, but it's "hand-to-hand combat" (kakutou). Dubious if it has anything to do with giant killing. Not that they got to try any of that during training.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Affi posted:

:confused: Christa?

(drat I really need to rewatch the training episodes. I am usually pretty good at these things)

Tiny girl, gave Sasha food during the training arc. She's only shown up a couple of times since.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

RatHat posted:

Did you not even look at the image you're talking about?

I just don't recognize either Christa or Ymir. I mean I see her there but I don't remember being introduced to her.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

darkgray posted:

Maybe I should have been more specific before, but it's "hand-to-hand combat" (kakutou). Dubious if it has anything to do with giant killing. Not that they got to try any of that during training.

I thought they didn't even get graded for hand-to-hand combat though.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Christa gave Sasha bread and water when she finished her running punishment.

It is totally possible that these scores are based off performance during all of training and final rank was based off a final examination.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

RatHat posted:

I thought they didn't even get graded for hand-to-hand combat though.

I'm pretty sure they don't grade for height and weight either. The chart is basically meaningless.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Mighty Dicktron posted:

I'm pretty sure they don't grade for height and weight either. The chart is basically meaningless.

Sasha gets top marks in weight?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Affi posted:

I just don't recognize either Christa or Ymir. I mean I see her there but I don't remember being introduced to her.
Christa was 10th out of the top 10.

In recent events, when Connie found Armin, he couldn't accept that everyone else was dead. Ymir was a jerk about it, saying it was obvious they were all dead, which pissed Connie off. Christa ran in and told them to stop fighting, which prompted Ymir to randomly propose marriage.

Don't worry too much, when they showed up later on in the manga, I had no idea who they were either. They're oddly forgettable characters. Probably because they don't show up to the HQ assault that was in this episode and so get a lot less screen time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm not entirely sure what to feel about the untimely demise of the kawaiiest Titan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I think "evaluation" is more their ability to analyse and evaluate a situation than an overall grade maybe? I dunno, shounen poo poo loves these charts and they usually mean jack all.

• Locked thread