Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

fount of knowledge posted:

As an aside, I recently bought Ocarina of Time 3DS used from Amazon, and Master Quest is already unlocked. :toot: Seeing as I've already beaten the game several times on the N64 and never played MQ, anything wrong with just jumping right in to that?

Nothing wrong at all with it. I think a little bit of added difficulty is you remembering how you solved the various rooms before and kinda going in with those preconceived notions but if you've beat it a 147 times like we all have that'll still be a nice barrier. Master Quest being on it and the reworked inventory/c-button system was a big selling point for me.

Ularg posted:

I never got an answer when I posted last time but maybe you can help me. How the hell do I not suck at Zelda games? I'm lost like 100% of the time, even when using that hint thing near your house.

I've always seen Zelda as a series of epiphanies. You go into a dungeon and kinda wade in a bit, look for stuff, test what you CAN do without any keys/weapons/yadda and when you start finding stuff and whatnot you'll just click on how a dungeon works and you can sail through it. OoT's water temple I think is a real good example of that. We all sat there like lemmings playing with the water raising/lowering thing until we got it (sometimes after a lot of controller smacking) and then you kinda cruise your way through it.

Best advice I can give you though is if you need a key, search high and low in every other room you can possibly go into and look for it. They wont always be in the same room. Also if you're stuck on something, did you just get a new weapon or item? Because odds are you'll use that at least once in a dungeon besides when you fight that dungeon's boss. Other than that squawk in this thread for help for specific dungeons and such but most things involve thinking at least a little outside the box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

I play on Normal/Casual and stick to the brilliant strategy of making numbers big and blocking all attacks with my face, but the impression I get is that min/maxing is only necessary if you plan to tackle the later DLC maps, which are calibrated to massacre you without a tip-top team. Otherwise, you can do whatever. Two decent rules of thumb in the start are:

- Don't rely too much on Frederick. He's a death engine because he starts off as a promoted class, meaning his EXP and stat gain are piddly and he'll just leech points away from characters who need it more. You can use an item called a Second Seal to de-rank him later, at which point go nuts.

- Don't underestimate Donnell. His Aptitude skill makes his stats skyrocket if you put the work into leveling him up, and when you finally get the chance to promote him out of Villager he'll be a powerhouse for a while.

The golden calf for min/maxers is a broke-as-poo poo skill called Galeforce, which is available to a class called Dark Flier (a promoted Pegasus Knight, I think). It allows a character to get a second turn if they kill an enemy, which means a single sufficiently strong unit armed with Galeforce could clear out half a map by themselves in a single turn. Most of the "WHO SHOULD MARRY WHO" discourse revolves around getting that skill onto as many characters as possible through inheritance. Like I said, people like you and me who get leery of all the number games don't need to go nuts over it, but you should give special care to Pegasus Knights you can actually recruit for that reason.

Ok, I feel pretty good about stuff then... I've got three or four characters that have surpassed Frederick in usefulness already, because I was leery of relying on him too much like you said. I've actually always got Donnell paired up with Frederick in the hopes I can swoop in and get a kill for Donnell to level him up, because I had heard he gets pretty powerful if you can manage to keep him alive and level him up. Having to worry too much about inheritance doesn't really sound like a lot of fun for me, as long as I can finish the game on Hard/Classic. I had a rough time of it at first, but then I got my avatar leveling up and he became a beast. Maxed him out, promoted him, then changed class again to try out some stuff, and I can just throw him out there and let him take care of anyone dumb enough to attack him.

Anyway, it's a really fun game, and the depth might have ruined me for stuff like the new X-Com... Maybe I'll have to go back and try that GBA Ambassador Fire Emblem game I've got sitting on my 3ds eventually.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dylan14 posted:

Is Code of Princess worth $30 ? I saw a friend playing it and looked fun, but I heard the campaign is too short.

Not at all. It's kind of neat but the battle system is pretty cut and dry, there's no depth behind it at all and the frame rate is headache inducing when there's too many enemies. Maybe for $10 I'd suggest it.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Guilty posted:

As someone who upgraded from the regular to XL, I highly suggest returning it and getting the XL. It is a world of difference. The screen is so much better and it feels much more natural to hold

I got it at GameStop so I figure my chances of returning it and getting an XL are slim to none.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Oxxidation posted:

The golden calf for min/maxers is a broke-as-poo poo skill called Galeforce, which is available to a class called Dark Flier (a promoted Pegasus Knight, I think). It allows a character to get a second turn if they kill an enemy, which means a single sufficiently strong unit armed with Galeforce could clear out half a map by themselves in a single turn. Most of the "WHO SHOULD MARRY WHO" discourse revolves around getting that skill onto as many characters as possible through inheritance. Like I said, people like you and me who get leery of all the number games don't need to go nuts over it, but you should give special care to Pegasus Knights you can actually recruit for that reason.

I felt I should correct this last bit. Galeforce is indeed broken, but it only activates once per turn. Now, if you Pair Up two units with Galeforce, then you can kill 3 enemies on your turn, with the ability to move between each kill. Pretty nice, and well worth passing on to male children!

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Chronojam posted:

Infinite Space is designed around building and outfitting your ship, assigning and collecting crew, and hitting Launch Fighters. It's got a lot of depth to it and is really well presented in every single way except for the actual combat itself.

I'd totally suggest playing it still, but the combat does get repetitive. A 3DS sequel is a no brainer as long as they do something to make the combat a little more involved. The secret is holding "R" to make the travel and combat go by faster.

I'd love to play this but can't find a decent price on it. gently caress.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Norns posted:

I'd love to play this but can't find a decent price on it. gently caress.

The European version is rather cheaper in case you don't mind using ebay or whatever to import it.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Saoshyant posted:

The European version is rather cheaper in case you don't mind using ebay or whatever to import it.

Stupid question, does the US 3DS XL play euro DS games?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Norns posted:

Yep it should play all DS games since they aren't region locked. I think there's a few exceptions though such as Pokemon: Black and White 2.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Norns posted:

Yup. Original DS games are region free so you're good if you wanna say play Last Window on an American 3DS.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Katana Gomai posted:

Is the 3ds virtual console version of Super Mario Bros. 2 (J) the original Famicom Disk System version or has the difficulty been altered like it has been in the Allstars and SMB Deluxe versions? I want to own the original game in some way (I have Allstars on the SNES already) and it seems like this is my best bet since I'm not buying a Disk System. I not going to buy the Wii release because it seems archaic on the Wii U.

It's the original FDS version, yes.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Ziji posted:

I got it at GameStop so I figure my chances of returning it and getting an XL are slim to none.

That's ok, I have a regular 3DS and I'm quite fine with it, plus it's certainly more portable. My next update will probably be the 3DS VR-version sometime in the future anyway.

And if it still stings: Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Japanese software sales - May 13th to 19th:

quote:

01. [PSP] Summon Night 5 (Bandai Namco) {2013.05.16} - 105.511 / NEW
02. [3DS] Tomodachi Collection: New Life (Nintendo) {2013.04.18} (¥4.800) - 63.055 / 925.108 (-39%)
03. [3DS] Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon (Nintendo) {2013.03.20} (¥4.800) - 20.304 / 712.225 (-35%)
04. [3DS] Animal Crossing: New Leaf (Nintendo) {2012.11.08} (¥4.800) - 16.492 / 3.217.351 (-35%)
05. [PS3] MuvLuv Alternative: Total Eclipse {2013.05.16} (¥7.140) - 12.373 / NEW
06. [PS3] Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen (Capcom) {2013.04.25} (¥4.990) - 8.759 / 178.755 (-34%)
07. [3DS] Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Mission (Bandai Namco) {2013.02.28} (¥5.800) - 4.539 / 189.056 (-38%)
08. [WII] Taiko no Tatsujin Wii: Deluxe Edition (Bandai Namco) {2012.11.29} (¥5.040) - 4.351 / 477.739 (+10%)
09. [3DS] New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Nintendo) {2012.07.28} (¥4.800) - 3.851 / 2.028.663 (-29%)
10. [3DS] Mario Kart 7 (Nintendo) {2011.12.01} (¥4.800) - 3.354 / 2.051.201 (-28%)
11. [PS3] Tomb Raider (Square Enix) {2013.04.25} (¥7.980) - 3.276 / 57.397 (-45%)
12. [3DS] Tousouchuu: Hunter-Nigekire! (Bandai Namco) {2012.07.05} (¥5.040) - 3.033 / 486.038 (-38%)
13. [PSV] PhotoKano Kiss (Kadokawa Games) {2013.04.25} (¥7.140) - 2.807 / 46.167 (-38%)
14. [PSP] Pro Baseball Spirits 2013 (Konami) {2013.03.20} (¥3.980) - 2.577 / 146.135 (-31%)
15. [3DS] Taiko no Tatsujin: Chibi Dragon (Bandai Namco) {2012.07.12} (¥5.040) - 2.567 / 485.981 (-33%)
16. [3DS] Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (Capcom) {2012.11.15} (¥3.800) - 2.534 / 307.473 (-28%)
17. [PS3] Naruto Shippuden: Narutimate Storm 3 (Bandai Namco) {2013.04.18} (¥7.480) - 2.532 / 125.507 (-53%)
18. [PSP] 7th Dragon 2020-II (Sega) {2013.04.18} (¥6.279) - 2.324 / 104.473 (-46%)
19. [WIU] New Super Mario Bros. U (Nintendo) {2012.12.08} (¥5.985) - 2.237 / 512.244
20. [NDS] Pokemon Black 2 / White 2 (Pokemon Co.) {2012.06.23} (¥4.800) - 2.168 / 3.005.619

That Wii game Taiko no Tatsujin has been there for longer than I can remember. That and the usual Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection seem to be the big, constant top sellers in Japan.

In the US of A, this is the Top 10 for April (supposedly) according to NPD numbers:

quote:

1. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon
2. LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins
3. Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
4. New Super Mario Bros. 2
5. Mario Kart 7
6. Fire Emblem: Awakening
7. Super Mario 3D Land
8. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
9. Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
10. Paper Mario: Sticker Star

Brand name seems to sell better here with Lego and a Pokémon spin-off charting up easily.

Ziji
Oct 20, 2010
Yossarian lives!

Rexroom posted:

That's ok, I have a regular 3DS and I'm quite fine with it, plus it's certainly more portable. My next update will probably be the 3DS VR-version sometime in the future anyway.

And if it still stings: Ignorance is bliss, as they say.

Yeah, GameStop tried to give me $75 for something I literally have had open for a grand total of 7 hours or so, and paid $160 for yesterday. gently caress that. I'll live, it's not THAT awkward or uncomfortable, and I loving love playing Starfox again!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

JoeMB posted:

Yep it should play all DS games since they aren't region locked. I think there's a few exceptions though such as Pokemon: Black and White 2.

Yep! It's a DSi game.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Saoshyant posted:

That Wii game Taiko no Tatsujin has been there for longer than I can remember. That and the usual Animal Crossing and Tomodachi Collection seem to be the big, constant top sellers in Japan.

In the US of A, this is the Top 10 for April (supposedly) according to NPD numbers:

Brand name seems to sell better here with Lego and a Pokémon spin-off charting up easily.

Apparently that Lego game is pretty good, though, and word of mouth among grown up gamers is probably doing it as much good as the kids who just love the Lego games.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I picked up Liberation Maiden because it was on sale and it's pretty awesome, short but sweet. But holy poo poo does my hand hurt. If this is any indication of how Kid Icarus plays I'm not even going to bother playing it.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Silver Falcon posted:

I felt I should correct this last bit. Galeforce is indeed broken, but it only activates once per turn. Now, if you Pair Up two units with Galeforce, then you can kill 3 enemies on your turn, with the ability to move between each kill. Pretty nice, and well worth passing on to male children!

Only playing normal classic so it's not super important but if Sumia and Cordellia had children before acquiring galeforce are the kids locked out of getting it? Also I have too much fun leveling supports on this normal game. How many chapters are there? I'm 18 hours in on chapter 14.

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
I have a 3DS XL coming in sometime next week, new, for $145 after tax. :swoon:

Can't wait to get some Mario action going.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Jakse posted:

Only playing normal classic so it's not super important but if Sumia and Cordellia had children before acquiring galeforce are the kids locked out of getting it? Also I have too much fun leveling supports on this normal game. How many chapters are there? I'm 18 hours in on chapter 14.

Sumia and Cordelia both have female kids who can reclass to (or start as) Pegasus Knights. You're good.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

SC Bracer posted:

Sumia and Cordelia both have female kids who can reclass to (or start as) Pegasus Knights. You're good.

Also, inheritance isn't locked in until you run through the recruitment mission for that particular child.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

Sire Oblivion posted:

I picked up Liberation Maiden because it was on sale and it's pretty awesome, short but sweet. But holy poo poo does my hand hurt. If this is any indication of how Kid Icarus plays I'm not even going to bother playing it.

Yes, but it comes with a stand making the game less hurtful with your hands. You WILL have to play with the stand because how much action you will be doing with 3DS

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
Why on earth does choosing to control DKCR 3D with the dpad also swap X/Y with L/R? And why does choosing to use the dpad completely disable the circle pad and vice versa? Why not just enable both options at the same time? Bizarre. I want to play with the dpad but using L/R to roll is not fun.

I'm probably in the minority opinion here but I'm pretty disappointed with this port.

EGSunBro
Nov 1, 2012

PEPSI FOR TV-GAME
E: Haha, wrong thread. My bad.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Oh, anyone know if Jake Hunter Detective Story: Memories of the Past worth getting? It looks interesting. (The re-released version, not the wretched original release).

I really liked it. There's six main cases, which are decently sized, and then a bunch of mini-cases that are mostly tongue-in-cheek ("This is Yulia Marks, my assistant. She's incredibly smart, fluent in several languages and filled with DELICIOUS NOUGAT."). Also, like Vanquish, it has a button dedicated to smoking (it gives you hints).

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Fleedar posted:

Why on earth does choosing to control DKCR 3D with the dpad also swap X/Y with L/R? And why does choosing to use the dpad completely disable the circle pad and vice versa? Why not just enable both options at the same time? Bizarre. I want to play with the dpad but using L/R to roll is not fun.

I'm probably in the minority opinion here but I'm pretty disappointed with this port.

Ditto. What is it with this game and stupid control decisions?

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

SeANMcBAY posted:

Ditto. What is it with this game and stupid control decisions?

It's 2013, why do we still not have completely remapable controls in every drat game?

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

Holy poo poo, they still make PSP games? Is it because of the low Vita sales or something?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Timid posted:

Holy poo poo, they still make PSP games? Is it because of the low Vita sales or something?

Same reason I think PS2 games kept coming out for so long, it's a system lots of people already have (because Japan + Monster Hunter) and presumably it's cheaper to develop for than the Vita so releasing stuff like visual novels on it (I'm assuming that's what Summon Night is) is less risky.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Timid posted:

It's just a different market. Consoles have a much longer life in Japan, especially for cheaper titles. The Dreamcast was having new games come out as late as 2007.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

^Wow thats actually pretty sweet. Is this more of a Japanese thing than an American thing?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

cobalt impurity posted:

The Dreamcast was having new games come out as late as 2007.

To be fair, all of the games releasing that late were shmups and that's because companies that make shmups are run by idiots.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

njsykora posted:

Same reason I think PS2 games kept coming out for so long, it's a system lots of people already have (because Japan + Monster Hunter) and presumably it's cheaper to develop for than the Vita so releasing stuff like visual novels on it (I'm assuming that's what Summon Night is) is less risky.

Summon Night was a couple of GBA "Tales of" style RPGs that apparently turned into a SRPG series on PSP.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Gutcruncher posted:

Summon Night was a couple of GBA "Tales of" style RPGs that apparently turned into a SRPG series on PSP.

The main Summon Night series have always been SRPGs. Summon Night Swordcraft Story was tales-like offshoot on GBA.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

NinjaDebugger posted:

The main Summon Night series have always been SRPGs. Summon Night Swordcraft Story was tales-like offshoot on GBA.

poo poo, I guess I just lost my nerd cred, didnt I...

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I thought the Summon Night series was dead? Did someone buy it from the ashes of Flight-Plan or whoever?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I thought the Summon Night series was dead? Did someone buy it from the ashes of Flight-Plan or whoever?

Yeah, Flight Plan went down and the rights to Summon Night got passed around until they eventually ended up at Namco Bandai.

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

SC Bracer posted:

Why did I not now this sooner. I have them both like 5-6 levels ahead of everyone else just so I could get galeforce inherited to Inigo and Cynthia.
Now I can play like a normal person.

Edit: Woops, I meant Severa not Inigo.

Timid fucked around with this message at 15:11 on May 27, 2013

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Timid posted:

Why did I not now this sooner. I have them both like 5-6 levels ahead of everyone else just so I could get galeforce inherited to Inigo and Cynthia.
Now I can play like a normal person.

Inigo is Olivia's kid, and since he's a boy, you should definitely grind Galeforce on Olivia and pass it down. Boys with Galeforce are incredibly useful and you should get all the ones you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

If it's your first playthrough you should just play like a normal person and not worry about Galeforce and all that stuff.

• Locked thread