Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good

Hazdoc posted:

Well, I found what the problem was. My controller sensitivity was at 6. Bumping it up to 10 helped my... mouse sensitivity? :psyduck:

Don't forget to change the Playstation Move deadzone settings to 0!

I'm not kidding by the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

bigmcgaffney posted:

That's basically what my Methana looks like, but with less in the high slots, pretty much just the scanner. Works pretty drat good.

I'm going full gallente logi, the racial fitting decrease on equipment is badass. I'm still deciding on whether to get proto hives or reppers first.

1, I commend you on your exceptional taste in dropsuits.
2, I would take nanocircuitry to 5 before reppers, the triage rep tool can be equiped at lv 3 and it'll do the job just fine in most situations until you get enough SP to get to proto. Lv 5 nano will get you the best hives and syringes and I KNOW but they wont be broken forever.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

I run Gallente logi so here are my thoughts on getting set up:

I don't run uplinks at all, I think they're a waste of an equipment slot unless you have access to a supply depot where you can switch to a suit with a nanohive/injector/repair tool combo. Don't get me wrong, uplinks are useful, but they're highly situational and in my opinion better left with scouts who can get to objectives quickly and without being noticed.

The most important thing to do with your skill points is get nanocircuitry and repairing to level 3 asap so you can used advanced equipment. Fortunately nanocircuitry covers both injectors and hives so you don't have to level them separately.

If you're not too keen on assault rifles I would suggest the assault scrambler rifles (although regular scrambler rifles can work just fine since you should try to keep back from the action anyway) as they provide automatic fire but with the added effect of being more useful against the shield-tanked suits you tend to find around.

Active scanners are good, however I think they're more useful for corp battles than elsewhere as you don't get any points for spotting enemies with them who are subsequently killed. For the time being if you don't care too much about your WP you could swap them in place of your nanite injectors since injectors are mostly broken and most stupid pubbies tend to respawn before you can get close enough to pick them up.

If you run Gallente at all then don't put any points into shield skills. Put it all into armor skills. Picking the Gallente variant of logi was a no-brainer for me since the logistics bonus is to your armor repair and the Gallente bonus is in reduced PG/CPU usage from equipment modules. If you're going to be in the thick of things and likely hacking a lot of stuff then it's probably better to run Minmatar.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I hate to sound like an ignorant idiot, (but I am!) but any tips on skills or upgrades that basically improve my health/armor, or general assault rifle deadliness?

No advice too basic! Hit me with anything...

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

I hate to sound like an ignorant idiot, (but I am!) but any tips on skills or upgrades that basically improve my health/armor, or general assault rifle deadliness?

No advice too basic! Hit me with anything...

There's a skill that provides a 5% bonus to armor, one that provides a 5% bonus to shield, a pair that boosts the bonus provided by plates and shields by 5%, and your AR operation/sharpshooter/proficiency/capacity skills will do a lot to help you out. I recommend sharpshooter unless you're going with Tac ARs.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
So recently, I've been getting shot nearly before hacking a point. Like about one second away. I'm thinking it might be nice to spec into the hacking skill.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spazzhole posted:

Clearly demoralized from their overwhelming victory over Goonfeet, Eon have begun surrendering their Hrober districts to our friends.

Last night was fun, leadership has learned what we need to work on (hint: a lot). Heavies are apparently a thing again :v:

Can it be confirmed they gave up because they exhausted all their resources and didn't really think ahead and use math to make sure they weren't stretched too thin?

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Uba Stij posted:

Can it be confirmed they gave up because they exhausted all their resources and didn't really think ahead and use math to make sure they weren't stretched too thin?

Is the AAR/video of the match still coming? I really want to read about/see it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Present posted:

Is the AAR/video of the match still coming? I really want to read about/see it.

I need the video off Pink Fluff before I can give an accurate AAR, and it will be semi-restricted until we can have more secure forums.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Shoren posted:

I run Gallente logi so here are my thoughts on getting set up:

I don't run uplinks at all, I think they're a waste of an equipment slot unless you have access to a supply depot where you can switch to a suit with a nanohive/injector/repair tool combo. Don't get me wrong, uplinks are useful, but they're highly situational and in my opinion better left with scouts who can get to objectives quickly and without being noticed.

If you run Gallente at all then don't put any points into shield skills. Put it all into armor skills. Picking the Gallente variant of logi was a no-brainer for me since the logistics bonus is to your armor repair and the Gallente bonus is in reduced PG/CPU usage from equipment modules. If you're going to be in the thick of things and likely hacking a lot of stuff then it's probably better to run Minmatar.

I agree with most of what Lune is saying here.

I don't think uplinks are something you want to run with all the time. And in fact, if my squad is throwing lots of uplinks down, I might not bring out my uplink suit again after the initial push. But the fact is that scouts are rare, and in any case most players with one equipment slot run with injectors or nanohives.

Uplinks don't require you to keep them in your inventory to get their effect. Throw down your uplinks, and switch out the first chance you get. If they are the good ones with 20 or more spawns, and they are hidden well enough, they may last you all match. If not, switch back, throw down some more, and switch back. It doesn't hurt that I'm a dropship pilot and can throw them on top of tall buildings.

And Lune has used my uplinks many times. :colbert:

Minmatar and Gallente have my two preferred logi suits. Gallente is slower, but has more armor and more effective PG/CPU. Minmatar is faster and has quicker hacking speed.

I'm still not sure which I'll move to after the respec, to tell the truth. They are both good choices.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

I have a Dragonfly scout BPO dedicated to sprinting ahead and throwing down uplinks. I added a sprint biotic and it's a sure way to get folks to the frontline pretty quick.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

PhilippAchtel posted:

I agree with most of what Lune is saying here.

I don't think uplinks are something you want to run with all the time. And in fact, if my squad is throwing lots of uplinks down, I might not bring out my uplink suit again after the initial push. But the fact is that scouts are rare, and in any case most players with one equipment slot run with injectors or nanohives.

Uplinks don't require you to keep them in your inventory to get their effect. Throw down your uplinks, and switch out the first chance you get. If they are the good ones with 20 or more spawns, and they are hidden well enough, they may last you all match. If not, switch back, throw down some more, and switch back. It doesn't hurt that I'm a dropship pilot and can throw them on top of tall buildings.

And Lune has used my uplinks many times. :colbert:

How else am I supposed to get up on all those tall buildings? Jump? :smugbert:

I just want to get away from the correlation that drop uplinks should be used primarily by logis when they're likely better off in the hands of a scout. That's kind of what I was getting to, but didn't finish the thought. When starting out on skirmish you can put together a scout dropsuit (like the Dragonfly so you don't have to worry so much about ISK if you die) with an uplink so you can get near one of the objectives, throw an uplink in case it gets hacked later and then go about your business. In that case if you're not primarily a scout then you can find the nearest supply depot to go back to your primary fit and hopefully by then your backup should have arrived.

And right now I'd go as far as to say that non-logi classes shouldn't even bother carrying around nanite injectors given how broken they are. You'd be more useful to the team by carrying nanohives (an especially ones that can rep armor) than try stabbing someone who died in midair only to end up dying yourself because you were occupied. That doesn't mean you can't do whatever I've advised against, but I feel there are better ways to be effective as the game currently stands.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
How do I get all that bonus skill xp on the circle? Can I stack boosters? Buy my way in with AUR and ISK?

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Feenix posted:

How do I get all that bonus skill xp on the circle? Can I stack boosters? Buy my way in with AUR and ISK?

You need a booster to get the "Potential Booster Bonus." Boosters don't stack in the same category, but I think you can have active and passive at once.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Enter Char posted:

You need a booster to get the "Potential Booster Bonus." Boosters don't stack in the same category, but I think you can have active and passive at once.

I bought the 30 day Active. Guess ill get a passive, too! :)

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Enter Char posted:

...but I think you can have active and passive at once.

You totally can. In fact, I encourage it to squeeze as much SP out of Dust as you can. :v:

Also, I'd spring for the Omega Passive Boosters since they are faster than the other passive boosters.

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

anglachel posted:

So it sounds like Goons need moar Heavies. Can someone put up a good heavy skill plan for around 5 and a half million SP?

I just started playing, too, but obviously you want to open up the Amarr Heavy Dropsuits in Dropsuit Command. Not sure if going all the way to Sentinel is worth it yet, though. Weaponry will eat up most of your SP. You need all 5 levels to even open up Heavy Weapon Operation, then you have to decide if you want to go HMG or Forge Gun. HMGs you can get into quicker. Explosives -> Grenadier is also a good place to invest. Other than that, I threw some points into Dropsuit Upgrades -> Armor Upgrades, then either Plating or Repair.

Take all this with a grain of salt, I'm sure someone will come along with a good, detailed build at some point. I'll keep trying stuff out, too, so when I get in the Corp I'll be willing to add my 2 cents.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
Why a scout with drop uplinks? Why not make a proto logi fit with nothing but drop uplinks for equipment, speed modules in the lows, and shield extenders in the highs? You'd be almost at fast as a scout, would be able to blanket the map with drop uplinks and would be twice as tough as any scout suit.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I've had lots of fun and a bit of success sniping in this game. I find that the game type matters most when trying to pick people off, with Domination being the best mode and Ambush being the worst. In Domination there is one focal point to the combat on the map, so getting a good vantage point from a long distance can make life easy. It often won't be worth your opponents' time to dislodge you in Domination because getting bodies, vehicles and droplinks around A is the priority. In Ambush, however, you're a great target as a lone sniper because kills are the goal and you're safer to eliminate than squads who can support each other.

A few basic bits of knowledge that I wish I realized earlier:
* The 1st level sniper rifle (the $1500 one, not the militia one) is similar to the militia variant except it holds 5 rounds instead of 3, which is a huge improvement
* The 1st level locus grenade gives you a 3rd grenade, whereas you only get 2 equipping the default militia locus grenade, this is another big improvement for a few hundred bucks a suit
* There are many opportunities to shoot stationary enemies in this game, notably enemies who are trying to capture points/resources, enemies manning turret emplacement and vehicle turret gunners whose drivers have been murdered or have abandoned them
* Enemies with assault rifles can drop you really quickly from pretty long range, and they can shoot on the move, so if you're noticed I advise regrouping with teammates and finding another vantage point after they've sprung forth to protect you
* Keep track of supply depot locations, it is really easy to run out of ammo as a sniper if you're plinking away at enemies from a few hundred yards behind the action, and supply depots have their own icon on the map so they're not too hard to find

Bilvy
Jun 8, 2012
applied as uguu desu

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I hated how this game felt in beta. I even didn't like it a week before launch. For some reason I turned it back on last night and had an encouragingly entertaining time.

I still feel like I fight with the controls a little bit, and at times stuff kinda jitters and jumps, and sometimes I feel like it takes too long to whittle down health/kill a guy. It becomes a strafe dance.

But when it clicks, I'm having a grand old time!

So I have a question about gear variety/spectrum in the marketplace. I know as I level up I can use better guns, but I can already see guns I can't use...is that it? Feels like not a lot of variety, or am I mistaken?

Tacticals damage 70-something, breach damage 50-something, etc...

I guess I just expected a lot more variety to encourage paying-in with real money, etc...

I guess my only other major nitpick is that the marketplace and skill trees feel a little needlessly obtuse.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

Applied my alt Chibby Crushcracker to the corp.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
drat you Grief University, you're making goons look bad :argh:

https://soundcloud.com/thousandthson/grief-u-ghost-wolf-industries

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

If you guys don't want to listen to the whole 24 minutes of that really, really lovely quality recording, here's the best part:

https://soundcloud.com/ricky-spanish-4/why-are-you-shooting-me

Sammus fucked around with this message at 03:32 on May 27, 2013

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Sammus posted:

Could someone please draw up a skill and gear plan to build the perfect Logi LAV? I'm going to start making Logi Car alts to gently caress with people. Since it's easily the most hated tactic in game at the moment, whole squads would surely piss people off, and I'd like to work towards that!

I support your quest wholeheartedly, make sure you record it.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Filthy Hans posted:

I've had lots of fun and a bit of success sniping in this game. I find that the game type matters most when trying to pick people off, with Domination being the best mode and Ambush being the worst. In Domination there is one focal point to the combat on the map, so getting a good vantage point from a long distance can make life easy. It often won't be worth your opponents' time to dislodge you in Domination because getting bodies, vehicles and droplinks around A is the priority. In Ambush, however, you're a great target as a lone sniper because kills are the goal and you're safer to eliminate than squads who can support each other.

A few basic bits of knowledge that I wish I realized earlier:
* The 1st level sniper rifle (the $1500 one, not the militia one) is similar to the militia variant except it holds 5 rounds instead of 3, which is a huge improvement
* The 1st level locus grenade gives you a 3rd grenade, whereas you only get 2 equipping the default militia locus grenade, this is another big improvement for a few hundred bucks a suit
* There are many opportunities to shoot stationary enemies in this game, notably enemies who are trying to capture points/resources, enemies manning turret emplacement and vehicle turret gunners whose drivers have been murdered or have abandoned them
* Enemies with assault rifles can drop you really quickly from pretty long range, and they can shoot on the move, so if you're noticed I advise regrouping with teammates and finding another vantage point after they've sprung forth to protect you
* Keep track of supply depot locations, it is really easy to run out of ammo as a sniper if you're plinking away at enemies from a few hundred yards behind the action, and supply depots have their own icon on the map so they're not too hard to find

Sniping in Ambush improves a lot if you stay where your allies are congregating, or preferably behind them so they soak up your shots. Skirmish is probably the worst for sniping because of map layouts.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey nerds FYI were going for Minmatar as our logistics fit, because its got the best options 4/4/4, can run like the wind, hack poo poo, and is easily dual tanked. Anything else is your own special snowflake build for the time being.

Active scanners are questionable for Logibros, but Uplinks are not. Uplinks are own and are a source of infinite points. Logis should be placing uplinks as needed in the middle of it, from the "front" so to speak, whereas scouts should be placing them in flanking or otherwise more lateral positions. Rep guns are only favored at the end where they are tits crazy good AND because triage hives are no longer the amazing win buttons they used to be. God I loving miss triage hives. There will also likely be some doctrine for them with mines and remote explosives of various sorts.

Feel free to ask anyone, but the Skill Plan is powered by Spreadsheetstm technology, and thus is superior.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
As with EVE, Minmatar is Winmatar.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

As with EVE, Minmatar is Winmatar.

We need a Rifter-esque LAV/dropship. THen again, maybe not, because it would literally become the only thing worth flying (ps rifters own).

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I knew there was a reason I picked the Minmatar racial suits, chyeaaaaa

edit - ps I'm Tameka Cakes in game y'all, hope to get a mic soon

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bilvy posted:

applied as uguu desu

Who are you? Why do you hate SA?

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
Applied as Luthos Kaundar. I think.

Octavious
Dec 29, 2004

Juices so sweet and sassy

Omnikin posted:

I knew there was a reason I picked the Minmatar racial suits, chyeaaaaa

edit - ps I'm Tameka Cakes in game y'all, hope to get a mic soon

CAKES! This is the God drat People's Champion right here. A true Goon hero.

As (I think) the only Amarr logistics we currently field. I'll chime in on my thoughts for Logi as well.

First, Amarr suits have a helluvah lot going for em. Primarily, an absolute poo poo ton of CPU and PG. This alone makes them fantastic for newer guys as you can, initially, skip many of the pricey fitting skills and focus more on weapon and tanking skills. You WILL want fitting skills later on as you approach largely advanced and proto fits, but for your initial months, you'll be just fine.

Second, versatility. Advanced Amarr logi suits come with three highs and three lows. Wanna shield tank? yep. Armor tank? that too. Dual tank? All day. You'll have the fitting resources and slots for whatever you want to do. Amarr suits are probably the most durable in the game both naturally and via slot loadouts.

All this comes with drawbacks however. The most glaring being only two equipment slots on the advanced logi suit. This sucks. There's no other way to put it. If you go Amarr for logistics you'll need to make a fuckton of alternate fits. Now, our Proto fits do have three equipment slots AND a sidearm (no other logi gets a sidearm) but that, of course, comes with a very high pricetag.

You also have the added benefit of being the sexiest son of a bitch on the warbarge. A glorious holy schoolbus of yellow righteousness. The plebes will circle strafe you constantly, basking in your golden glory.

TLDR: Amarr or get the gently caress back to tending the crops peasant.

LostInTheSauce
Feb 14, 2013

Which way did I go?
Alright, I'll make a fatty plan for you all. My initial "mistake" I made is paying off dividends I was not expecting, and I am routinely ballsmashing prototype heavies without breaking a sweat in standard dropsuits with a couple prototype modules.

I have over 1150 hitpoints on my heavy shitfits, and routinely outlast people in open firefights.

Heavy plans are not like assault plans. Core skills trump dropsuit and gun skills for the heavy.

Fitting skills are critical, as the forge gun and HMG you actually want take 110 CPU as a baseline. So gimmie a day or three.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

LostInTheSauce posted:

Alright, I'll make a fatty plan for you all. My initial "mistake" I made is paying off dividends I was not expecting, and I am routinely ballsmashing prototype heavies without breaking a sweat in standard dropsuits with a couple prototype modules.

I have over 1150 hitpoints on my heavy shitfits, and routinely outlast people in open firefights.

Heavy plans are not like assault plans. Core skills trump dropsuit and gun skills for the heavy.

Fitting skills are critical, as the forge gun and HMG you actually want take 110 CPU as a baseline. So gimmie a day or three.

gently caress, I want to roll as a fatty with a fat HMG shooting fat bullets. Looking forward to it.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Feenix posted:

I hated how this game felt in beta. I even didn't like it a week before launch. For some reason I turned it back on last night and had an encouragingly entertaining time.

I still feel like I fight with the controls a little bit, and at times stuff kinda jitters and jumps, and sometimes I feel like it takes too long to whittle down health/kill a guy. It becomes a strafe dance.

I'm still a noob at this game, and obvious advice is obvious - but I started doing a lot better once I took my time and played more cautiously, lining up shots while my target spazzes out. The game seems to play out more methodical then Halo or whatever.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
it is important to note that no suits looks as baller as an amarr suit

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Octavious posted:

CAKES! This is the God drat People's Champion right here. A true Goon hero.

As (I think) the only Amarr logistics we currently field. I'll chime in on my thoughts for Logi as well.

First, Amarr suits have a helluvah lot going for em. Primarily, an absolute poo poo ton of CPU and PG. This alone makes them fantastic for newer guys as you can, initially, skip many of the pricey fitting skills and focus more on weapon and tanking skills. You WILL want fitting skills later on as you approach largely advanced and proto fits, but for your initial months, you'll be just fine.

Second, versatility. Advanced Amarr logi suits come with three highs and three lows. Wanna shield tank? yep. Armor tank? that too. Dual tank? All day. You'll have the fitting resources and slots for whatever you want to do. Amarr suits are probably the most durable in the game both naturally and via slot loadouts.

All this comes with drawbacks however. The most glaring being only two equipment slots on the advanced logi suit. This sucks. There's no other way to put it. If you go Amarr for logistics you'll need to make a fuckton of alternate fits. Now, our Proto fits do have three equipment slots AND a sidearm (no other logi gets a sidearm) but that, of course, comes with a very high pricetag.

You also have the added benefit of being the sexiest son of a bitch on the warbarge. A glorious holy schoolbus of yellow righteousness. The plebes will circle strafe you constantly, basking in your golden glory.

TLDR: Amarr or get the gently caress back to tending the crops peasant.

No self respecting Amarr would allow themselves to be the person repairing. That duty falls to their loyal Minmitar servants that follow them at all times.

Really though, the best medic is Minmitar, the best assault logi is Amarr. Caldari shield tank is nice and all, but the fits just doesn't cut it as either medics or front line combat.

Soarer
Jan 14, 2012

I JUST CAN'T STOP TALKING ABOUT OTHER PEOPLE'S PONY AVATARS

~SMcD

Bilvy posted:

applied as uguu desu

You don't qualify. We like to take people that actually participate in the community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octavious
Dec 29, 2004

Juices so sweet and sassy
I've been hearing a lot of people ask "what should I skill into" as far as role. While I'm no director, I can tell you what I see (or don't see) on a regular basis. If I had to do a priority list for our class needs, it would be something along the lines of...

1) Heavies: More heavies. We have only two full timers that I can think of. They're hell on wheels if played correctly. They absolutely wrecked us in our PC matches. I have a heavy alt and he's a ton of fun to play. We also have a pretty drat good Logi team to back you up out there as well.

2) Pilots: Specifically tank pilots. I'm not sure we have anyone who does tanker as a main. This obviously needs to change. I know Hommando does a fair bit on his alt, but he's the only one off the top of my head.

3) Scouts / Snipers: I honestly can't think of anyone who does sniping full time, which I find fairly surprising. Many of the vets have a droplink scout fit for first deployments, but nobody who really focuses on it outside of Paradox.

4) Logistics: We're not in dire need of Logi's, but you can never have enough. I can think of about a half dozen full timers at the moment. I'm not sure I'd ever shy people away from going Logistics. You'll always be welcome in a squad.

That all being said, I'd stress that in the end, you play what's going to keep you around the longest, ie: the most enjoyable. I think we'd much rather have you running around in yet another assault suit and stick around for the long term rather than play something we're short on and burn out in a month.

• Locked thread