Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
I have had the pleasure of encountering all three of those, as well as abyssal lagi and hallowed jhen.

Gold and Silver don't like the jin bow, at all. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
(3U 3DS)
So, That one fishing mission in the Rank 1 set. Is there anything that can make it not a boring "Press A to gather resource only now the resource has to come to you and you need to press A again at some set time or you won't get it and when you do you're probably going to get a Small Goldfish that doesn't count because it has the word "small" in it thus gently caress you." slog or should I just consider fishing missions a complete waste of my time and avoid them like some sort of plague?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Make goldenfish bait so you have a 100% chance of getting them?

Enzer
Oct 17, 2008
So what are peoples opinions on the 3DS version of 3U? Haven't had the chance yet, but I plan on trying out the demo later today. Coming from someone who loved the hell out of Freedom 2 and Freedom Unite, how much better does this series play on a 3DS XL as opposed to the PSP which had a much smaller screen and cramped controls? My last MH game was Freedom Unite, I've never owned a Wii so I never got a chance to try out Tri before.

Also, is the circle pad pro worth it for 3U? I've noticed that even though the 3DS XL is a nice size, I tend to pull my thumb back and tap the right side buttons with the tip of my thumb as opposed to using the knuckle (old habit from how I used to hold my DS Lite), which gets painful after a while. The extra length from the side of the console to the buttons the CPP adds looks a hell of a lot more comfortable, but I don't want to be dropping money on it if it doesn't make the game more enjoyable.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ive gotten pretty used to the dpad on the touchscreen which you can easily control with your thumb. it's not as accurate as a circlepad but does the job well enough! This is my first MH game so I can't really speak for the psp versions.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Enzer posted:

So what are peoples opinions on the 3DS version of 3U? Haven't had the chance yet, but I plan on trying out the demo later today. Coming from someone who loved the hell out of Freedom 2 and Freedom Unite, how much better does this series play on a 3DS XL as opposed to the PSP which had a much smaller screen and cramped controls? My last MH game was Freedom Unite, I've never owned a Wii so I never got a chance to try out Tri before.

Also, is the circle pad pro worth it for 3U? I've noticed that even though the 3DS XL is a nice size, I tend to pull my thumb back and tap the right side buttons with the tip of my thumb as opposed to using the knuckle (old habit from how I used to hold my DS Lite), which gets painful after a while. The extra length from the side of the console to the buttons the CPP adds looks a hell of a lot more comfortable, but I don't want to be dropping money on it if it doesn't make the game more enjoyable.

The game honestly controls better on 3DSXL than on PSP. Thanks to the huge virtual dpad on touch screen and the ability to use "monster cam" to quickly turn the camera towards the monster playing MH doesn't require The Claw to play.

Underwater combat felt awkward at first but it's something I learned to live with.

Edit: and I don't feel like I need the XL pad to get the most of MH is what I'm getting at.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 27, 2013

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Make goldenfish bait so you have a 100% chance of getting them?

I had Goldfish bait both in my inventory and in the active slot so I don't know what I was doing wrong but evidently I was doing it.

Besides that it was just utterly boring to fish.

Enzer posted:

So what are peoples opinions on the 3DS version of 3U?
As someone who's completely green to Monster Hunter, I think it's perfectly fine and I haven't had to rely on the "Claw" with the use of the virtual d-pad.

Swimming is a load of bunkum though.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!

ConanThe3rd posted:

I had Goldfish bait both in my inventory and in the active slot so I don't know what I was doing wrong but evidently I was doing it.

As someone who's completely green to Monster Hunter, I think it's perfectly fine and I haven't had to rely on the "Claw" with the use of the virtual d-pad.

Swimming is a load of bunkum though.

If you press A you will use a standard fishing bait! Get out your goldenfish bait and press Y while standing on the fishing spot. It will only attract goldenfish.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

ConanThe3rd posted:

You have to use Y button to fish: you "use" the bait to fish. Turn pressing A activates fishing normally, without the use of any bait. This is actually better than before: in earlier games you had to have some bait to fish and also the fishing pool only updated once you left the area, requiring you to go back and forth to "reset" the pool and see if there were any goldenfish there. Now you just plop in the bait and all the relevant fish come swimming at you.

Agreed on fishing being a boring chore, even if I did it every and single time in FU's in my robotic quest to grind materials. :eng99:

edit: due to being ninja'd to this information, let me elaborate on underwater combat with the virtual dpad.

The problem is that the hunter will swim in the direction the camera is pointing so you theoretically have to keep controlling the camera to swim around. What I found out even with the older games is that it's easier to play when you learn to not do this.

Use the L button to direct the camera behind your back or use monster cam to turn it towards the monster instead of trying to do it yourself with the dpad. Trying to move in relation to current viewpoint rather than constantly moving the camera is something I feel makes Monster Hunter way easier to control. Personally I think this is the reason a lot of people are appalled (and "scrubby trash casual noobs" are repelled by :v:) by MH's camera and fail to get into the flow of the game.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 27, 2013

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
At least in Tri and onwards, there's goldenfish bait, which guarantees a pool of goldenfish. Timing out on the Desert goldenfish quest in Freedom Unite was loving awful.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Whilst I realise I'm preaching to a choir that's had to use the claw for years, I have to emote that MH could do a LOT better for itself if it actually communicated that sort of thing because bugger if I'd actually know that outside of being Japanese and thus could encounter another MH player by way of swinging a dead cat or having' a thread such as this to help me.

I can deal with this bullshit, Capcom US (because Capcom JP are stuck in a state of permanent Inafune Bloodlust) could do good to making it so I didn't.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Give me a Monster Hunter game with Dark Souls controls and I'm fine for life. :v: Provided there is a controller for the game of course. It could be better on the 3DS but also a lot worse.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

FrickenMoron posted:

Give me a Monster Hunter game with Dark Souls controls and I'm fine for life. :v: Provided there is a controller for the game of course. It could be better on the 3DS but also a lot worse.

Portable 3rd HD (PS3 version) in English would have set me for life, y'know.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Would have loved to play that too I have to admit. I wonder if MH4 stays a 3ds exclusive.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
If Nintendo knows better, it will.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
So I found myself running low on Money while trying to upgrade/buy new weapons, and found something that has kept me pretty well funded. Basically, I just plant 3 Nulberries at the farm. If I don't use Dung, I get 5-7 berries in each field, which sells for around 2700 gold. Each crop costs 20 Resrouces, or 60 total, so I'm basically trading 60 resources for 2700 gold. Not sure if there is a deal better than this, but it has kept me funded so far.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Started throwing myself against Mark of a Hero. Man, this quest is doing to be the death of me. Managed to down Ivory Lagiacrus once, but got impatient and started pecking away at the Azure Rathalos and Brachydios instead of letting them beat each other up. Needless to say, I failed the quest.

Man, this is awesome though. A pain in the rear end, but awesome.

Donald Duck
Apr 2, 2007

Nechronic posted:

Sword and shield often gets recommended to new players because it is an easy to use weapon that doesn't hamper your mobility and still allows you to block. Personally I think they're outclassed by dual swords now that we have them back in 3U. Looking at the Commander's Dagger itself, it barely has any green sharpness. The difference between yellow and green is huge with regards to damage application, as well as not having your attacks deflected.

I'd recommend switching weapon types entirely for early game. The sword and shield's greatest strength is the large number of hits you can put out with it, which works really well when you're using a weapon that deals elemental damage. Unfortunately a good ice elemental SnS is something that won't be available to you for a bit, and ice is what Peco is weak to.

Also, if you haven't made a new armor set to replace your starting armor with, consider making a Great Jaggi set for an attack buff. You can also eat a meat/veggie or meat/dairy meal at the canteen for an attack buff that will stack with the one you get from Jaggi armor. This will help you put out more damage and make fights take less time.

In summary: Try a different weapon type that isn't reliant on elemental damage, make one with a big chunk of green sharpness, make G. Jaggi armor, and eat attack buff food at the canteen and you should be able to take down a Peco in way less than 20 minutes. Learning the fights is one part of the game, preparing for them is the other.

Took your advice and switched to dual swords and made some Jagged Shotels - I tried some of the larger weapons but I end up getting disorientated sheathing and unsheathing constantly and would keep accidentally using items. The change made a fairly big difference in how long it took to kill the bird, it made it so much easier to hit him in the chest since the attack animation was a lot quicker. Probably down to about 10 minutes now. Unfortunately he kept catching me off guard with his fire when he does it without clapping his wings which seems to wreck you if you don't have anything to cure the burn. I also beat the Wroggi easily, he seemed significantly easier than Peco. I'll probably go with the Royal Ludroth next

Stupid question probably but is it possible to go to the Sandy Plains/Flooded Forest without a quest or do just pick an easy gather one and do your mining/herbing before you turn it in?

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Nope, that's what the gathering quests are there for. It's confusing because you can visit Moga woods without a quest, but nowhere else.

EDIT: Wow, just finished Mark of a Hero. That was an intense quest.

Silver Striker fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 27, 2013

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Donald Duck posted:

Unfortunately he kept catching me off guard with his fire when he does it without clapping his wings which seems to wreck you if you don't have anything to cure the burn.

dodge rolling a few times (or once in water) kills a burn.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Donald Duck posted:

Took your advice and switched to dual swords and made some Jagged Shotels - I tried some of the larger weapons but I end up getting disorientated sheathing and unsheathing constantly and would keep accidentally using items. The change made a fairly big difference in how long it took to kill the bird, it made it so much easier to hit him in the chest since the attack animation was a lot quicker. Probably down to about 10 minutes now. Unfortunately he kept catching me off guard with his fire when he does it without clapping his wings which seems to wreck you if you don't have anything to cure the burn. I also beat the Wroggi easily, he seemed significantly easier than Peco. I'll probably go with the Royal Ludroth next

Stupid question probably but is it possible to go to the Sandy Plains/Flooded Forest without a quest or do just pick an easy gather one and do your mining/herbing before you turn it in?

Just a heads-up, you can roll three times on land or once when you're standing in water to cure being on fire (and slime, once you get that far)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Awesome! posted:

dodge rolling a few times (or once in water) kills a burn.

I remember randomly trying this out when fighting Peco for the first time. Had a good chuckle when I realized "stop, drop, and roll" was actually a thing you should do in-game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Do you lose anything besides buffs when you pass out in freehunt?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Do you lose anything besides buffs when you pass out in freehunt?

Just time and possibly a bit of patience, which doesn't really matter unless you're, say, playing on the bus while commuting to work.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Nope, and if you had low stamina, I think you get reset to default stamina. The more you know~

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Just time and possibly a bit of patience, which doesn't really matter unless you're, say, playing on the bus while commuting to work.

That's what I thought, thanks.

As a side note, man the Wroggi armor spoils you. I just switched to the Barroth S set and made the mistake of fighting P. Ludroth with no antidotes.

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

That's what I thought, thanks.

As a side note, man the Wroggi armor spoils you. I just switched to the Barroth S set and made the mistake of fighting P. Ludroth with no antidotes.

I did the same thing. His projectiles were a joke, but that goddamn claw slash got me every time.

jsr v2.0
Jun 26, 2004
japanese seisure robots
What consumables do you guys bring with you on most hunts? I've been playing using only what is provided in the Guild Stash, and Mega Potions so far. Mostly doing Hammer or Dual Blades. I have a hard time getting out of the "Save Everything" mindset, so seeing what everyone else brings in and commonly uses in combat would be helpful.

BrightGreenLine
Sep 2, 2004
oh :gonk:
The stuff that the guild box provides is a good guideline for the things you'll need, although in the future you won't be able to rely on it. Starting with high-rank quests and beyond, there is a time delay before supplies get delivered to the box, and you start off in random zones so you'd have to run all the way over to it anyways.

That said, the most common loadouts look something like this:

10 Potion
10 Megapotion
5 Hot/Cool Drinks (if necessary)
20 Whetstone
10 Well-Done Steaks or 10 Energy Drinks (Energy Drinks are farmable, Steaks require grinding the cooking minigame)
Paintballs

Optional Stuff:
Shock/Pitfall Trap
Tranquilizer Bombs
10x Honey (for combining with the Potions)

I say honey is optional, because you really should be able to play without needing all of those potions and megapotions. Once you get the hang of the game there aren't any quests where that's not sufficient.

Edit: I'm leaving stuff like Powercharm/talon and Max Potions out, because you'll figure that out when you get there. You'll obviously want to carry the charms with you all the time once you have them, and you'll understand what you need by the time you have Max Potions and the like to bring.

BrightGreenLine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 28, 2013

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Recently broke through to High Rank. Are there any resources I need to farm or should I just look for the new resources based on what weapons/armor I need to construct?

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008
Some woman on Reddit is in the process of translating the special Monster Hunter 4 issue of Dengeki Nintendo Magazine. Lots of new tidbits about new weapon attacks and what not. There's also some stuff about how the Charge Axe and Insect Master's Rod works.

http://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/1f4tvu/shirleys_mh4_translations_part_3/

Shirley posted:

Greatsword:

SWEEP SLASH: Annoyed by silly little critters that bounce about? Never fear, Sweep Slash is here. You can now rocket propel them away by swinging your GS in a wide frontal arc, much like what the Lance got at one point. This attack is only usable after...

JUMP SLASH: That's right. You can now do the perfect YOLO attack by hitting a button mid-jump, bringing the blade down in a powerful, high-reaching overhead downswing. Perfect for crushing heads and looking like Conan.*

Longsword:

JUMPING SPIRIT BLADE: A spirit blade combo only usable after jumping off from an elevated platform. Allows the hunter to perform some sort of continuous slash combo that uses up the spirit gauge, and scales with it. Apparently chains into the regular spirit combos.

Sword & Shield:

UPPERCUT SLASH: What it says on the tin. By leaping off a platform the hunter can jump high into the air and uppercut some fools. This apparently chains into its own combo...

RUSH SLASH: Causes the hunter to rush forward and stab the target, closing the distance between the hunter and target rapidly. This now sounds like a fighting game.

CHARGE SLASH: What you SNS guys have been waiting for forever - By charging up an attack you can now unleash a strong jump slash that can chain into other SNS combos.

Dual Swords:

AERIAL DEMON'S DANCE: Yep, it's here. If the hunter is in a Demonized state before using Demon Evasion off elevated ground, pressing the attack button in mid-air will cause them to enter a series of Demon Dance twirls. It is possible to chain this attack into a Dance Finisher. That's a lot of spinning.

Hammer:

JUMPING POUND: Activated by jumping off a elevated ground while in charge mode. When the charge button is released in mid-jump, it unleashes a jumping pound attack.

Hunting Horn:

CHAIN NOTES: This allows for a single swing to produce TWO notes, greatly increasing the speed of recital performances and buff casting. More like an... glasses unchained melody.

JUMPING POUND: Apparently more similar to a half-drunken dance off elevated ground, the horn is allowed to fall onto the target in a large upswing arc. Deals high damage.

Lance

JUMP ATTACK: An attack with extremely long reach, executed mid-jump. Hunters can hit hard-to-reach parts with this far-reaching attack. According to the article the lance is the only weapon with TWO kinds of jump attacks, but specifics on this are scarce.

CHARGE JUMP: An attack that is executed by performing the lance charge off elevated ground. The charge continues on, and is capable of damaging enemies mid-flight.

U-TURN BRANDISH: An attack executed mid-charge, it causes the hunter to abruptly stop and perform a U-Turn swipe attack, enabling the hunter to clear enemies behind them quickly.

Gunlance:

JUMPING SMASH: A jumping overhead smash performed by leaping off elevated ground. This attack can chain into a normal Full Burst/ Shotgun blast on impact.

JUMP SHOT: A jumping gunlance shelling attack. This attack allows the hunter to chain into other aerial attacks, making it the perfect setup for air combos. It is not known if the Jump Shot can be charged at this point.

Light Bowgun:

JUMPING RELOAD: Because there's a lot more to do than just looking at the scenery before you hit the ground. Through technological innovation, ingenuity or sheer boredom, our esteemed gunner friends can now reload... in mid-air during a jump. This ability is shared with the HEAVY BOWGUN as well.

Heavy Bowgun:

JUMPING RELOAD: See above.

JUMP ATTACK: Yes, apparently the Heavy Bowgun gets one as well - mainly because it's a HEAVY Bowgun. Disgruntled gunners can now leap off high platforms and use the power of gravity to share their weapon's weight with their target of choice (read: A wyvern's head). This counts as a direct attack (not known if it is sharp or blunt) and purportedly deals high damage.

Bow:

POWERSHOT: A direct opposite of the normal arcing shots of the bow, the POWERSHOT occurs when the Hunter continues to charge their arrow after the first stage, resulting in a shot that fires dead straight at the target. As Bow Hunters will know, this shot is only available to certain Bow models. Batteries sold separately.

Switch Axe:

AERIAL SWITCH: Allows the hunter to switch from Axe to Sword mode (and supposedly vice-versa, the article is not clear) when jumping off elevated ground. This attack acts as a combo set-up, and can chain into a variety of attacks.

Charge Axe

SWORD MODE

The Charge Axe is a new weapon in MH4 with a "Sword-Shield" mode, and a destructive "Axe" mode.

When in "Sword-Shield" mode, it functions similar to the standard SnS. Its movement speeds and guard ability are comparable to the SnS as well.

Evasion during SnS form can be done in the form of rolling and sidestepping.

THE CHARGE SYSTEM

The Charge Axe incorporates a "Charging mechanism" into its systems.

The Charge meter is a visible meter with 5 "Canister" Icons on it.

The Charge Axe can only be charged in Sword Mode. The Charged Canisters are expended by Axe Mode attacks.

There are two glow colours, red and yellow.

The "Charge Action" button(s) must be manually pressed when the weapon glows to charge the Canisters.

The Charge Action button combinations are not mentioned in the article, but may likely involve the R button as per MH tradition when it comes to reloads.

OVERHEATING AND MIS-CHARGE

To recap, attacking with the CA in Sword Mode will cause the hilt of the weapon to GLOW.

The weapon can only be charged in Sword Mode.

When the weapon is charged during a yellow glow, the meter gains 3 icons.

When the weapon is charged during a red glow, the meter gains 5 icons (full charge).

However, when the weapon is charged during without a visible glow, a MIS-CHARGE occurs.

This MIS-CHARGE causes vulnerability frames to occur. The article officially terms it as a "Charging Mistake".

Common sense indicates that this happens because there's nothing to charge into the Canisters, so the weapon derps around instead.

Alternatively, when the Hunter attacks with the weapon after it displays a red glow...
The weapon OVERHEATS.

Overheating causes attacks to bounce when the weapon is in this state. The article does not mention if it comes with obligatory vulnerability frames or not.

This will also cause the giant words CHARGE to appear on the bar, reminding you not to derp around, and actually charge the weapon.

AXE MODE

The article states that the CA is very similar to the Greatsword in terms of movement speed and evasion. Whether this means that CA users roll or not I have no idea, but by the way it looks it does seem to be the case.

When in "Axe" mode, the Hunter cannot guard, and suffers from a slow movement speed. In exchange, the weapon deals high damage in this state, and the energy stored in the Canisters can now be used for elemental slash attacks.

Mode-changing can be done mid-jump or immediately after a guard as a transformation attack.

There are different kinds of "Canisters", much like Phials for Switch Axes. As of now there are two known Canister types.

Strong Element Canister: Capable of generating explosions of the same element as the weapon. Explosions deal elemental damage.

Grenade Canister: Capable of dealing KO damage to a monster, but the Axe's attacks must hit the monster's head.

The Axe mode also has an Elemental Slash Finisher move, which utilizes all of the energy stored in the weapon's Canisters to unleash a heavy hitting attack.

This attack also amplifies the Canister's latent abilities, in addition to causing a small explosion to occur on the point of impact.

After this attack the weapon forcibly reverts back to Sword mode, and has to be charged again before it can re-enter Axe mode.

This seems to be a one-hit affair, unlike the Switch Axes' "Elemental Release" attack.

Insect Master's Rod

The Insect Master's Rod - Hunt with the Hunting Bug! A new style of gameplay.

The Insect Master's Rod (Or Hunting Bug Staff if you prefer), is a new weapon in MH4 that focuses on self-buffs and jump attacks.

The defining characteristic of this weapon is its synergy with the Hunting Bug on your hand, and its unique ability to initiate jump attacks WITHOUT ELEVATED TERRAIN by vaulting.

It is the only weapon in the whole game to initiate jump attacks at will.

It is also a weapon with high mobility and movement speed.

This weapon is able to command the iconic "Hunting Bug" to attack monsters, drawing their essence out and infusing it into the hunter.

Different monster parts apparently generate different essences.

When a monster enters rage mode, the essences within its body changes, and so do the the buffs you gain from them.

Insect Control

Mark monsters with Odor Rounds!

The Insect Master's Rod can be used like a bowgun, entering sharpshooting mode to shoot Odor Rounds.

These Odor Rounds instruct the Hunting Bug to attack the target, and hence draw out its essence.
More importantly, the Hunter is able to aim with great precision. Eg. A monster's tail and head may give different essence buffs. By aiming and shooting the Odor Round at the appropriate part, you gain the buffs you want.

Hunting Bug and Essences!

The Hunting Bug is a very, very big beetle-like insect that rests on the Hunter's right arm.

When the Hunter marks his/her target with an Odor Round, the bug flies out and attacks the target.

When its attack connects, it gains essence.

Hunting Bug, Essence, and you!

When the attack of the Hunting Bug connects and successfully draws out essence, it will display a glowing colour in its thorax.

This glow represents the kind of buff that the essence within it carries.

The Hunting Bug can then be called to return to you. It is worth noting that until Mr. Bug completes its landing sequence, you do not gain access to the buffs.

The Essence Buffs

There are FOUR different kinds of essences available for use.

WHITE: Movement Speed Up

RED: Attack Up

ORANGE: Defense Up

GREEN: Health Recovery

The Insect Master's Rod is meant to be used with the Hunting Bug in combos often. If one controls the weapon properly it is possible to remain buffed throughout the entire fight.
In a sense, this is similar to the Hunting Horn, but unlike the HH it is faster, and only affects the Hunter.

VAULTING ATTACKS

By stabbing the Rod into the ground, the Hunter is able to perform an Olympic-level high vaulting jump.

While other weapons have to make use of elevated ground to initiate jump attacks, the Insect
Master's rod is the only weapon in the game to be able to do this at will.

This vaulting jump can be used as a means of evasion, or to easily and quickly reach higher terrain. In this sense the weapon is a lot more mobile and "Free-flowing" than most other traditional MH weapons.

The vaulting jump can also be chained into a powerful overhead downswing.
If this downswing connects with certain parts of a monster, the hunter is able to initiate mount attack mode.

Ninja edit: formatting + details on Insect Rod and Charge Axe

Dinotron fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 28, 2013

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
So we're going all Monkey King then with the Rod? I like.

jymbojones
Jul 4, 2010
Rod sounds pretty neat.

The Charge Axe seems meh. I'll probably stick with the Switch Axe.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm actually disappointed the game doesn't have huge fuckoff 2hand axes. I mean greatswords are nice but I'd like some real axes instead of the switchaxe.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
The Charge Axe's mechanics sound pretty clunky, hopefully actually using it is smoother than reading about it. I'll still give it a shot regardless because :black101:.

The Insect Staff beetle falconry sounds awesome as hell though. I hope (S.)Zinogre's in MH 4 so I can make a staff and use its Fulgur/Dracophage bugs against other monsters. :allears:

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Neo_Crimson posted:

The Charge Axe's mechanics sound pretty clunky, hopefully actually using it is smoother than reading about it. I'll still give it a shot regardless because :black101:.

It actually looks like it'll be fairly fluid, here's some pictures of the transformation process from an older article about it:

So it looks like it'd be about as smooth as the swith axe form transition.

Dinotron
Sep 2, 2008

Ignimbrite posted:

It actually looks like it'll be fairly fluid, here's some pictures of the transformation process from an older article about it:

So it looks like it'd be about as smooth as the swith axe form transition.

I think he's talking about how the Charge Axe punishes you for overcharging and/or "mischarging" your weapon. I imagine that the Charge Axe will have really high DPS when used properly though.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
After 4 tries, I finally beat the double Brachy quest to get to HR 7, jesus christ that slime hook should not do that much damage.

On bright side, I got 3 gems and a Pallium! :neckbeard:

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I've decided to give the Great sword a shot and my god does this feel RIGHT! I have the Azure Rathalos set, which is doing wonders to help me learn as I don't have to worry about shouty-rear end monsters any more. Currently I have it gemmed to up my Critical Eye and Hearing but I'm looking to find a way to get Fast Charge in there.

EDIT: I have the rarity 5 Barioth sword right now. It's pretty rockin', although I'm working my way down the Cera Cymmetry line (currently I need a few majestic horns, blargh). I think I remember seeing that that's a solid weapon, plus I like having a one-size-fits-all sort of weapon rather than bouncing between different elemental types.

DOUBLE EDIT: Seriously, pulling off a max charge slash then chaining it into another max charge while the Wyvern flops helplessly from all of the flinching feels amazing. I also don't think I"ve ever been as satisfied with severing a monster's tail as I have with this thing. I'm loving it.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

avlein
Jun 13, 2011
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nintendo_direct/20130531/index.html

Looks like we're getting some MH4 and Ace Attorney 5 information. Hopefully we get a release date for 4, I'm tired of sitting and waiting.

• Locked thread