Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Dicky B posted:

What are some games where you go really really fast? Like Ballistics fast? Brainpipe sort of scratches the itch but it gets old pretty quick.

If you want a way better version of Brainpipe, look at Dyad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Thauros posted:

Any of the GBA Castlevania sequels in the same league? Anything more modern I've overlooked?

I like Circle of the Moon, but it's consistently much harder than SotN (the final boss in particular is an absolute bastard) and your customization options are limited to a small number of equippable cards, many of which are rare drops you'll need to farm for.

Harmony of Dissonance suffers from a boring castle layout that requires far too much backtracking, but it's the largest of the GBA Castlevanias and the only one to have an Inverted Castle, if that matters.

Aria of Sorrow is the best or worst of the GBA Castlevanias depending on how you play it. It's so pitifully easy that I beat it with 100% completion on the same day I bought it, without dying once. But beating the game unlocks a harder difficulty setting, which is honestly what should have been the normal difficulty to begin with. If you have any way of getting a copy with a complete save file, I highly recommend it.

If you have a DS, there's Order of Ecclesia, which is probably the best Castlevania since SotN. The game is composed of a bunch of separate maps rather than everything being integrated into one castle, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 00:01 on May 28, 2013

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Castlevania: Circle of the Moon and Dawn of Sorrow (the sequel to Aria of Sorrow) are some of the best handheld games ever made, in my opinion. They're different enough to stay interesting but both are pretty deep.

Rockman Reserve fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 28, 2013

Reive
May 21, 2009

The Sorrow series are easily the best Castlevania games next to SotN, and mechanically different enough so that they don't feel like a rehash of SotN.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I know you guys probably get this a lot, but... I'm looking for a game that's like Dark Souls but isn't Dark Souls. :smith:

I don't have a console so Demon's Souls is out.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Genpei Turtle posted:

What, really? I played through the whole thing without encountering any bugs at all. It wasn't a wonderful game but it wasn't terrible either. First one was definitely better for laughs though.

Yeah I did get stuck at some point a few hours in and it was completely impossible for me to continue. Overall I'm pretty glad because everything I'd experienced up to that point was just really mediocre. Not bad, just really bland and lacking in entertainment value.

AnonSpore posted:

I know you guys probably get this a lot, but... I'm looking for a game that's like Dark Souls but isn't Dark Souls. :smith:

Buy a console so you can play dragon's dogma and demon's souls.

The only thing I can think of for PC is the dark souls mod for Terraria.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Thanks for the Castlevania and similar games advice. Definitely plan on giving Aria of Sorrow a shot and I bought Waking Mars via the Steam sale.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

AnonSpore posted:

Well, what specifically did you like about it that you want to find more of? We can offer games that are great solo dungeon crawlers, games that have a similar attention to detail in the world and characters, games that are just as demanding on the player and are rewarding to master, etc.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
Just... everything. I dunno. Story's not too huge a concern, I suppose, though I despise long cut scenes with dialogue and such--one at the very beginning of the story is enough for me, if that.

I really liked the gameplay of it, though, how you started out getting murdered by the hollows just outside Firelink cowering behind your shield and getting hit out of your swings, and then a hundred hours later you're just running around with a new character two-handing everything putting no points into vitality at all because you've mastered the game.

The level design was also pretty amazing for me, with the way the whole world was connected. Not just shortcuts within a dungeon like Skyrim did, but even between areas, like how you can trek for hours on your first playthrough and then hey, there's an elevator in the church, and you take it and holy poo poo you're right outside where Petrus is.

So out of those things you listed, I guess "games that are just as demanding on the player and are rewarding to master" would be first priority, then "games that are great solo dungeon crawlers," then "games that have a similar attention to detail in the world and characters." It doesn't necessarily have to be a 3rd person action RPG, though I don't mind either way in regards to that, really.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
I'm looking for a game where I can build up a big economy through directed actions of my own and then use my superior economic might to make a powerful army and destroy enemies.

I realize this includes a pretty wide swath of things, so feel free to be creative ;)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ShadowHawk posted:

I'm looking for a game where I can build up a big economy through directed actions of my own and then use my superior economic might to make a powerful army and destroy enemies.

I realize this includes a pretty wide swath of things, so feel free to be creative ;)

Civ would be the obvious answer. Or Capitalism.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale is the best game to destroy your enemies with Capitalism. I think games like X3: Reunion and Terran Conflict also have economies to play without being a top down civ like strategy game.

So I'm getting really hyped for Destiny by Bungie. I'm wondering aesthetic or concept wise any similar games. Single player, multiplayer, doesn't matter. All I got are Planetside 2 and Halo.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

AnonSpore posted:

The level design was also pretty amazing for me, with the way the whole world was connected. Not just shortcuts within a dungeon like Skyrim did, but even between areas, like how you can trek for hours on your first playthrough and then hey, there's an elevator in the church, and you take it and holy poo poo you're right outside where Petrus is.

Dark Souls is essentially a 3D Metroidvania. Playing Super Metroid with a SNES emulator or Castlevania: Symphony of the Night with a PS1 emulator might be your best bet, if you haven't already played those.

La-Mulana is something you can get for PC that's in a similar vein, but it draws its inspiration from the games that predate this formula even being called Metroidvania (Maze of Galious, Legacy of the Wizard, etc.), so it feels like something that could have been released in the '80s. It's extremely unforgiving and there are obtuse puzzles you'll probably never figure out without looking at a guide.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 29, 2013

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I'm looking for an RPG or action game with insane character customization (both skill and aesthetics-wise)

I.E:
Elder Scrolls/Fallout
Dark Souls
Mass Effect

PC, PS3 or 360. No MMOs please.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Mokinokaro posted:

I'm looking for an RPG or action game with insane character customization (both skill and aesthetics-wise)

I.E:
Elder Scrolls/Fallout
Dark Souls
Mass Effect

Aside from those there's Dragon's Dogma - you do it twice even, for yourself and a sidekick
Two worlds 2 too I suppose(but the only good part of that game is its magic system, don't tell you weren't warned)

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Pyromancer posted:

Two worlds 2 too I suppose(but the only good part of that game is its magic system, don't tell you weren't warned)

This is unfortunately true. Plus you only create your character for the multiplayer portion.

Also, the Fable series has excellent character customization, but it too is dumb and bad.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 29, 2013

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I.E:
Elder Scrolls/Fallout
Dark Souls
Mass Effect

Neverwinter Nights 2, particularly with the Storm of Zehir expansion, has absolutely insane character development and customisation. Probably the best character generation out there in terms of sheer flexibility, level-up customisation, and aesthetics. With Storm of Zehir, you get the most out of it and get to do it for an entire party.

If you want to go older, Realms of Arkania and Darklands both have absolutely absurdly detailed skill customisation - RoA lets you customise details as specific as your characters' temperaments and phobias, and Darklands starts with you going through the details of your characters' life so far up until a certain age of your choice (older characters will be more experienced but... old, etc) - but are really old games and therefore a lot more lacking aesthetics-wise.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ive actually played Dragon's Dogma, Two Worlds 2 and Fable. I have NWN2, but never got into it much.

Is there anything else with more of a scifi slant? I like fantasy, but I'd love a change (I am looking forward to Shadowrun Returns for this reason.)

Bonus if the game really lets me play dressup. I just love that in games for some reason.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 19:40 on May 29, 2013

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

I'm on the PS3.

And I'd love to find some new co-op games for my friends and I to run around in.

We've played Borderlands and Borderlands 2 to death. Ditto for Far Cry. We quite enjoyed Tiger11 until EA killed off the server. RDR was almost perfect for us but we've seen too much dust and too many bandits for now.

Shooters are fine, some sports things are fine, especially the more arcadey ones. But driving and fighting games just don't grab me.

Personally I love puzzlers but some in our group don't uh, think well with portals. Or laterally at all really so probably not the best sort.

An RPG or adventure type game could be interesting.

But when it all boils down I'm after a game with either a long and fun co-op campaign, or a few good interesting co-op options.

Ate the Army of Two games any good? More importantly will EA just yank the server at some point soon? It seems like they've already stopped providing servers for a few of those games.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Just... everything. I dunno. Story's not too huge a concern, I suppose, though I despise long cut scenes with dialogue and such--one at the very beginning of the story is enough for me, if that.

I really liked the gameplay of it, though, how you started out getting murdered by the hollows just outside Firelink cowering behind your shield and getting hit out of your swings, and then a hundred hours later you're just running around with a new character two-handing everything putting no points into vitality at all because you've mastered the game.

So out of those things you listed, I guess "games that are just as demanding on the player and are rewarding to master" would be first priority, then "games that are great solo dungeon crawlers," then "games that have a similar attention to detail in the world and characters." It doesn't necessarily have to be a 3rd person action RPG, though I don't mind either way in regards to that, really.

Dark Souls is a spiritual successor to Demon's Souls, even having a near-identical engine.

Demon's Souls was based on a series by FROM Software called King's Field. The early installments really show their age nowadays, but overall the series is pretty good. FROM also developed another spinoff to King's Field, which was the Shadow Tower series. If your computer is powerful enough, you can emulate PS2 and play the fan-translated Shadow Tower: Abyss, which is extremely close to Demon's/Dark Souls in many ways.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What are some good scary/paranormal games on PC? I'm looking for like story-driven stuff that can run on a not-so-great computer.

edit: Especially along this line

Joey Deacon posted:

Found this yesterday and quite enjoyed it, gave off a similar vibe to eversion from the creepy haunted 8bit feel. Is creepypixel a phrase yet?

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/617863

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Coffee And Pie posted:

What are some good scary/paranormal games on PC? I'm looking for like story-driven stuff that can run on a not-so-great computer.

edit: Especially along this line

Penumbra: Overture
Penumbra: Black Plague (!!)
Amnesia: Dark Descent

All along the same-ish lines since they're from the same developer, you wander around 90-100% helpless as horrible nightmares from the shadows stalk you from the edge of sanity while you solve puzzles.

Black plague is PHENOMENAL and freaky as poo poo as the game actively fucks with your head.

If you can tolerate some bullshit and/or have few moral qualms about looking up guides when the bullshit gets thick, the Chzo Mythos games are very good for the most part, and free.

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 31, 2013

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Evilreaver posted:

If you can tolerate some bullshit and/or have few moral qualms about looking up guides when the bullshit gets thick, the Chzo Mythos games are very good for the most part, and free.

Yeah, Yahtzee's games were the best freeware point and click adventure games I've ever played.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm looking for a game that features cool physics with destructible environments on or near the level of battlefield: bad company 2. Perhaps red faction: Armageddon? I never gave the rf games a second look after Red Faction 2.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

No one does destructible environments anywhere near as good as RF: Guerilla. That's definitely the high point of the series.

Numbnuts
May 20, 2012

ethanol posted:

I'm looking for a game that features cool physics with destructible environments on or near the level of battlefield: bad company 2. Perhaps red faction: Armageddon? I never gave the rf games a second look after Red Faction 2.

I'm going to second Bouchacha's suggestion of RF:G and also suggest you don't get Armageddon, as it's "destructible environment" thing sorta took a backseat.

For my own search, a friend and I are trying to find a decent coop game, but specifically one that isn't an FPS, and preferebly PC (although 360 is available, it's just more awkward for us to set up).
For bonus points, my friend was interested in the idea behind Dark Souls for how it handled the fighting and character levelling/equipment, but doesn't want a game as hard/unforgiving/awkward as poo poo to set up coop for.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Numbnuts posted:

For my own search, a friend and I are trying to find a decent coop game, but specifically one that isn't an FPS, and preferebly PC (although 360 is available, it's just more awkward for us to set up).
For bonus points, my friend was interested in the idea behind Dark Souls for how it handled the fighting and character levelling/equipment, but doesn't want a game as hard/unforgiving/awkward as poo poo to set up coop for.

Magicka is really fun in coop and not a FPS, try it.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
I disagree, I would recommend Red Faction: Armageddon over Guerrilla. Guerrilla is more of an open world game, but all of the buildings are kinda generic. Armageddon is more of a linear, mission-oriented game but the levels are full of pretty unique things to destroy. Armageddon also has the cooler weapons of the two, imo.

Here's a video of the best weapon in any video game ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDYF88F_ExI

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Flame112 posted:

but the levels are full of pretty unique things to destroy

Not really, all you ever destroy in Armageddon is stairs and walls.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Flame112 posted:

I disagree, I would recommend Red Faction: Armageddon over Guerrilla. Guerrilla is more of an open world game, but all of the buildings are kinda generic. Armageddon is more of a linear, mission-oriented game but the levels are full of pretty unique things to destroy. Armageddon also has the cooler weapons of the two, imo.

Here's a video of the best weapon in any video game ever: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDYF88F_ExI

The magnet gun's okay, but you rarely get a chance to destroy anything bigger than a wall with it - Most buildings are indestructible.

RF:Guerilla, however, allows you bring down multi-story buildings with whatever you can get your hands on. Setting up eighteen-odd remote charges and then detonating them simultaneously to drop a bridge into a deep canyon is satisfying as all hell :black101:.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
I'm looking for a game where the combat is pure bone crushing and fierce melee. No HP sponge antics or anything, just fast brutal combat in which where you strike the opponent, how many of them there are, and what kind of weapon you're using actually matter. Where if you gently caress up or get hit in a bad spot, you can easily die. Dunno what kind of games there are with this type of thing, but it's been a craving I've had for the past few days!

I'll freely clarify if this isn't enough information, and about any kind of genre works. Though, I was honestly imagining something similar to but better than Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Galick posted:

I'm looking for a game where the combat is pure bone crushing and fierce melee. No HP sponge antics or anything, just fast brutal combat in which where you strike the opponent, how many of them there are, and what kind of weapon you're using actually matter. Where if you gently caress up or get hit in a bad spot, you can easily die. Dunno what kind of games there are with this type of thing, but it's been a craving I've had for the past few days!

I'll freely clarify if this isn't enough information, and about any kind of genre works. Though, I was honestly imagining something similar to but better than Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic.

Have you tried Chivalry, War of the Roses or Mount & Blade? Chivalry and War of the Roses are MP games while Mount & Blade can go either way.

After watching a short video on Dark Messiah, I'd say you might also enjoy something like Skyrim modded for more realistic/challenging combat.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Galick posted:

Hotline Miami? You pretty much die if you get hit by anything.

Lurker God
Jan 28, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT GETTING OWNED BY DAVID HOROWITZ (AND BEING FOR THE EXTERMINATION OF THE JEWISH RACE LOL)sieg heil ronald mcdonald;;
Any good economic simulation games made in the last few years? I was replaying The Guild (original, non-crappy one) when I realized I need to find some new games to play. It doesn't need to be exactly like The Guild, but anything with a good economic/trade system in it.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

I'm looking for a game that's similar to Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines but not in terms of gameplay. Something atmospheric, brooding and a little sleazy, all within a modern setting.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
EDIT: /\ Deus Ex: Human Revolution might be up your alley. It's fairly typical cyberpunk in that it looks like some sort of grim utopia but there's so much wrong with the world underneath. Metro 2033 and Last Light also sell their dark, grim atmosphere amazingly well.

EDIT2: Oh, you said modern setting. Nevermind then.

Lurker God posted:

Any good economic simulation games made in the last few years? I was replaying The Guild (original, non-crappy one) when I realized I need to find some new games to play. It doesn't need to be exactly like The Guild, but anything with a good economic/trade system in it.

Patrician IV might be right up your alley. And you can get it for as little as a dollar currently

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 14:08 on May 31, 2013

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am also looking for a co-op game, but one where you can both play it offline together on the same ps3. I'm pretty sure this covers a wide range of games, but any suggestions are welcome. Preferably where you can play the main story/campaign co-op.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

McCloud posted:

I am also looking for a co-op game, but one where you can both play it offline together on the same ps3. I'm pretty sure this covers a wide range of games, but any suggestions are welcome. Preferably where you can play the main story/campaign co-op.

If you like games where you shoot men, Borderlands 2. Also good: Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game, Guacamelee!, most Dynasty Warriors games.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

ethanol posted:

Red Faction: Guerilla's destruction physics are far beyond Bad Company 2, Armageddon, or anything else I've played. I still remember how in one of the first missions I was assigned to knock over a smokestack, and I toppled it onto a warehouse leaving a massive hole. I've had great playthroughs where I only use explosive weapons so that knocking buildings onto my enemies is an integral strategy, and other playthroughs where I shun explosives so that it becomes a cover-based shooter with occasional building collapses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopstick
Jul 10, 2011

Top Cop

McCloud posted:

The first Resistance game makes for surprisingly entertaining splitscreen with campaign co-op, as do RE5 and RE6. There's also Earth Defence Force, but that can get a bit repetitive.