Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

I often see questions about moving the contents of an SD card to a larger one, but it's surprisingly difficult to find information about maintaining two SD cards with different games on each. There's nothing on Nintendo's support site on the subject either. Is it as simple as putting a new blank SD card in the console and start downloading games into it? Is something going to happen to streetpass/spotpass information for games that are on the second SD card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

orenronen posted:

I often see questions about moving the contents of an SD card to a larger one, but it's surprisingly difficult to find information about maintaining two SD cards with different games on each. There's nothing on Nintendo's support site on the subject either. Is it as simple as putting a new blank SD card in the console and start downloading games into it? Is something going to happen to streetpass/spotpass information for games that are on the second SD card?

As far as I know, it is possible, but the spotpass and streetpass might act a little funky.

E:

Some forum poster posted:

If you were going to download Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and generate multiple towns on different SD cards, then you technically can't. Nintendo apparently implemented some sort of system that detects if you actually did the trick. Yep, I tried doing that. Read below on how I did that.

When I copied everything from SD card A to B, then play on the SD card B, the game recognize as I was playing the game normally.
Now, as I went back to A, the upper screen showed a villager I didn't have in my current town, meaning that I can't have multiple towns. As soon as I saw this, I shut my system off and switched back to SD card B, and it shows one of the villagers I have.

Apparently, every time I save, the "ID" associated to that the save file on the SD card and the system memory changes. As soon as I played on the SD card B, the game did that, therefore rendering the save data from A (and anywhere else than the SD card B) useless. The "ID" found on the system memory is no longer the same as SD card A's ACNL save data, so the game will prompt to the player about that issue.
If you proceed, everything that is saved on SD card A will be rendered useless, therefore having to start your town again.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 13:58 on May 28, 2013

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I recently got an eShop giftcard for $20, but scratched the thing on the back too hard and it took half of the numbers off making it unreadable. Does anyone have experience with this? Just want to know if I should waste time on customer service call or just let it go.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
How unreadable exactly? I've had similar issues before but if I just looked really carefully I could basically figure it out.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

greatn posted:

How unreadable exactly? I've had similar issues before but if I just looked really carefully I could basically figure it out.

It's pretty mangled, there is no chance of eyeballing it. About half the numbers came off :(

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Dehry posted:

If you were going to download Animal Crossing: New Leaf, and generate multiple towns on different SD cards, then you technically can't. Nintendo apparently implemented some sort of system that detects if you actually did the trick. Yep, I tried doing that. Read below on how I did that.

That's not I'm trying to do, though - I simply am about to run out of room on my (16GB) SD card, and want a second one for more games. That's what happens when you go all digital and buy a lot of full-sized games.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It has BEEN said multiple times. in this thread that you shouldn't do that

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

njsykora posted:

This isn't Kotaku, I'd recognise Destructoid's page style anywhere.

Holy crap youre right. I cant believe that ISNT Kotaku.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

orenronen posted:

That's not I'm trying to do, though - I simply am about to run out of room on my (16GB) SD card, and want a second one for more games. That's what happens when you go all digital and buy a lot of full-sized games.

So then buy a 32 GB and copy everything over?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Gutcruncher posted:

Holy crap youre right. I cant believe that ISNT Kotaku.

However, I can totally believe it IS Destructoid.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
I was thinking about getting fire emblem, but with EO4 being so cheap, I may go for that instead.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Porkchop Express posted:

I was thinking about getting fire emblem, but with EO4 being so cheap, I may go for that instead.

The physical version of Fire Emblem is on sale for $30 w/free shipping on Amazon. It's on back order at the moment though (says ships in 2-3 weeks).

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 19:05 on May 28, 2013

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

Shear Modulus posted:

The physical version of Fire Emblem is on sale for $30 w/free shipping on Amazon. It's on back order at the moment though (says ships in 2-3 weeks).

I ordered it over the weekend when it said 2-3 weeks and suddenly I get an email with a shipping update yesterday telling me that they can deliver it by the 30th. Amazon says "Shipping Now" for me.

I imagine they're like, scraping together stock hidden away in various warehouses or something. I have no idea. Or they got re-stocked but only enough to fulfill a partial amount of outstanding orders. Or the store page hasn't been updated to reflect stock or something.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Artix posted:

So then buy a 32 GB and copy everything over?

I just bought that 16GB specifically for the 3DS a couple of months ago. I'd rather spend less money on another 16GB than on an expensive 32GB that will leave me with a useless card lying around.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Max22 posted:

What's the multiplayer like in Tetris Axis? Lively / Dead? Can you play ranked matches without items (like in Tetris DS)?
I just checked and I can't seem to get any players when I start a match with no items. The lobby displays your "points" so I think that means the matches would be ranked. For some reason they are limited to 2-player matches though. It seems fairly easy to find matches with items turned on; I just did a 2-player and 7-player match without any real waiting.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

KimT posted:

Blue Shells are kind of necessary I think. When you're in first place, the only person who can hit you is the guy in second place, and the best item he'll get is a red shell. Red shells are totally ineffective though because in first place you get a steady stream of bananas and green shells to keep you safe from them. Plus if you keep an eye on the bottom screen and see what items people are getting, you can just slow down and let someone else get hit by the blue shell. (Or at least try to get someone else caught in the explosion)

I think the Mario Kart games have a way better item balance than people give it credit for. Yeah there are times where you'll get hit by a blue shell near the end of the race and it sucks, but you really do need an item like that. I liked Sonic Transformed a lot but I think they messed up with the items.

My beef with the blue shell is that it doesn't help the person that gets it. If you're in fifth, and get a blue shell, guess what? You're still in fifth. In MK7 you can hit other players with them too given some skillful positioning (or luck), but the fact of the matter is the person that benefits most from a blue shell is probably the guy in second or third. The problem is that the items you actually get in second and third suck, and the solution to me would be to give those positions stronger items. The fact that you can get bananas and tanooki leaves in fourth is complete garbage, and mushrooms seem really weak in this game so getting a mushroom is only advantageous if you're right by a potential shortcut when you get it.

I mean, I get that it's Mario Kart and there's an element of chance to it, and MK7 is much better about balancing skill and luck than, say, MKWii, but it feels to me that there needs to be an alternative way to rein in players that are ahead like that.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

RyokoTK posted:

I mean, I get that it's Mario Kart and there's an element of chance to it, and MK7 is much better about balancing skill and luck than, say, MKWii, but it feels to me that there needs to be an alternative way to rein in players that are ahead like that.

How about learning to race. :smug:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, so I just dug through a bunch of crap to get up to 650 coins to get myself to platinum status. Does this mean I get rad poo poo on June 30th when they reset their year? Do all my coins go away? I have more stuff to register, but I seem to remember from a while back that it was more worth it to get yourself to platinum, wait for the calendar to flip, and THEN register stuff.

To keep this on topic, I was considering the Art Style game they've got up. Is it any good?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

Bean posted:

Okay, so I just dug through a bunch of crap to get up to 650 coins to get myself to platinum status. Does this mean I get rad poo poo on June 30th when they reset their year? Do all my coins go away?

Coins are good for two years. So feel free to save them.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Dehry posted:

[i]As far as I know, it is possible, but the spotpass and streetpass might act a little funky.

E:(animal crossing)
Urgh, I really wish Nintendo would get the gently caress over itself in regards to this nonsense and just implement a cloud based account system already.

It would make me less hesistant about picking up the Digital Download versions of their games, that's for drat sure.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Actually the club nintendo chat has me curious. I've been a Nintendo fan all my life and never actively participated in club nintendo, so this year when I wanted to get in on one of the 3DS promotions I went and registered every product I owned and could find a code for (depressingly few, considering the sheer amount of Nintendo games and systems I own). As a result, I made it to just below platinum pretty effortlessly - AC will push me over the edge. I remember occasionally reading about platinum rewards and being jealous, but I'm not entirely sure how the system works. Does being platinum automatically get me whatever the year's prize is, or does it just give me the ability to spend my coins on it (and thus miss out since I grabbed some digital games with mine)? Also, what sort of prize are we usually talking about?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

ConanThe3rd posted:

Urgh, I really wish Nintendo would get the gently caress over itself in regards to this nonsense and just implement a cloud based account system already.

It would make me less hesistant about picking up the Digital Download versions of their games, that's for drat sure.

I think that system is only in place for animal crossing and not for any other 3DS game that I know of but I agree Nintendo should really make the purchases tied to the account.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
So if I download a game and lose a memory card I'm hosed?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

No the games are tied to the 3DS not the SD card but you will lose your save data. So if you lose your SD card and get another one you can redownload the game again from the eShop free of charge.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Funkmaster General posted:

Actually the club nintendo chat has me curious. I've been a Nintendo fan all my life and never actively participated in club nintendo, so this year when I wanted to get in on one of the 3DS promotions I went and registered every product I owned and could find a code for (depressingly few, considering the sheer amount of Nintendo games and systems I own). As a result, I made it to just below platinum pretty effortlessly - AC will push me over the edge. I remember occasionally reading about platinum rewards and being jealous, but I'm not entirely sure how the system works. Does being platinum automatically get me whatever the year's prize is, or does it just give me the ability to spend my coins on it (and thus miss out since I grabbed some digital games with mine)? Also, what sort of prize are we usually talking about?
I believe you get to choose like 1 of 3 free rewards sometime in July. Your coin count doesn't change but your Platinum Status resets and you must re-earn it (accumulate 600 fresh coins) to get another Plat reward the following year.

EDIT: also should point out that Platinum status uses a cumulative coin total for the year, so you can still spend coins on rewards and stuff during the year and not affect your climb toward Platinum.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bottom Liner posted:

No, but if you lose your 3DS you're hosed.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Sire Oblivion posted:

No, but if you lose your 3DS you're hosed.
If you contact Nintendo, they'll transfer your license to your new system (should you buy one, and if you don't you'd be hosed anyway).

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

orenronen posted:

I just bought that 16GB specifically for the 3DS a couple of months ago. I'd rather spend less money on another 16GB than on an expensive 32GB that will leave me with a useless card lying around.

Or you could just commit to a 32GB card, and still have a 16GB card as a backup?

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity

Hace posted:

Or you could just commit to a 32GB card, and still have a 16GB card as a backup?

I picked up a 32GB card for like 20 bucks off of Newegg. It was well worth it. The only downside to having the 32 is that there's not enough poo poo on the eshop I want right now to fill it :(

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

KimT posted:

Plus if you keep an eye on the bottom screen and see what items people are getting, you can just slow down and let someone else get hit by the blue shell.

In MK7 if you time a mushroom boost right you can avoid the blue shell's blast. I've never pulled it off but I've seen it done a couple times and it's fairly fuckin dope.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Man, cannot wait for the 30th. Oracle of Seasons/Ages. :getin:

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm going to download Animal Crossing so hard when it comes out. Are there any other things besides VC stuff that are good to buy on the eshop and download? I was thinking of purchasing vvvvvvv because I never played it on my PC, sounds like it'd be a better experience on the 3DS.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

pushmo and crashmo are must buy eshop titles. Gunman Clive is cool and worth the couple bucks. Minis on the move has lots of content for the price and the puzzles are very challenging.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yo NA dudes, Newegg is doing $33.99 pre-orders for Mario & Luigi: Dream Team (use promo code EMCXRVM222):

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...=311494_desktop

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The EU patch for Devil Survivor Overclocked is live, let's hope it fixes everything.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

Downloading Donkey Kong Returns *right now*. I got to experience a bit of it on my family's Wii but was not a fan of waggle-to-roll and am not smart enough to softmod a Wii to button assign that poo poo.

Haven't had DK fever since 2 :hawaaaafap:

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

irlZaphod posted:

If you contact Nintendo, they'll transfer your license to your new system (should you buy one, and if you don't you'd be hosed anyway).

Doesn't this require a police report, or is that for the WiiU?

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

Doesn't this require a police report, or is that for the WiiU?

I've heard you also need a police report for that as well. Unless they can remotely delete games off the system.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Any tips for getting rid of a stubborn StreetPass notification? Passed someone with FE:A earlier, and now my digital copy icon won't stop blinking that little green dot at me even after I've parleyed all the teams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

In MK7 if you time a mushroom boost right you can avoid the blue shell's blast. I've never pulled it off but I've seen it done a couple times and it's fairly fuckin dope.

I've done this once and it was by accident. The timing window for it to work is so slim it's not worth trying most of the time when it's better use a mushroom to just get back up to speed when the smoke clears.

• Locked thread