Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tentacle Party
Jul 2, 2003

(breathing intensifies)
I was really disappointed with the cheap keyboard and mouse I bought. I traded it for a Bluetooth headset. Sound like comms would be better than 1337 quick scope mouse skills anyway.

I know the Logitech g9x mouse works and I've used one before. Does anyone have a recommendation for a cheap USB keyboard that is compatible.

I found a bundle deal on the g9x and the g105 keyboard. Dust forums says the g105 isn't compatible. Anyone use one?

Tentacle Party fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

OhsH posted:

Hi, applied as gin teriyaki, i currently have a horrible setup where I play on my hdmi capable monitor but has no speakers and I have no idea if I can find a way to get sound through anything else so I am worthless in comms but hell I'll die for the cause.

You can use the other ports on the PS3 for sound outputs.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

SpookyLizard posted:

You can use the other ports on the PS3 for sound outputs.

Just in case he didn't see my edit on the other page.

Go to the store and buy one of these http://www.amazon.com/Cblwhl-Female-3-5mm-Mono-Adapter/dp/B000I98ZM8/ref=pd_sim_e_7

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Reminalt posted:

Just in case he didn't see my edit on the other page.

Go to the store and buy one of these http://www.amazon.com/Cblwhl-Female-3-5mm-Mono-Adapter/dp/B000I98ZM8/ref=pd_sim_e_7

so hdmi+this with av multi?

alright that sounds like it'll work

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames
Ok, so yesterday I respecced my vehicle alt and this evening I respec my main. I've been thinking about our need for Heavy's and our over-reliance on Assaults. Someone convince me that a loner, run-around type such as myself would actually prefer a slowpoke with a short-range HMG. At the end of the day all I truly care about is killing lots of mans and seeing my name up topside at the end of the match. Will Heavy get me there more often than an Assault with an AR? I guess my greatest fear is being continuously outmatched/ranged/flanked by Duvolle toting Assaults.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

bigmcgaffney posted:

Proto reppers, proto hives, uplinks, 12 HP/s armor regen, tons of PG/CPU with only 1 and 2 levels in engineering and electronics respectively...

And following a heavy around with a core repair tool is sicknasty. All of the warpoints.

Following a tank duo around with the top repairtool.

None of the warpoints :smith:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Fused Locus grenades are supposedly going to be on the market for ISK today (the AUR addition was a bugger up by good ol' CCP apparently)... I strongly recommend people buy a few stacks (assuming they're cheap) before the tear tsunamis cause CCP to remove them again.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Exioce posted:

Ok, so yesterday I respecced my vehicle alt and this evening I respec my main. I've been thinking about our need for Heavy's and our over-reliance on Assaults. Someone convince me that a loner, run-around type such as myself would actually prefer a slowpoke with a short-range HMG. At the end of the day all I truly care about is killing lots of mans and seeing my name up topside at the end of the match. Will Heavy get me there more often than an Assault with an AR? I guess my greatest fear is being continuously outmatched/ranged/flanked by Duvolle toting Assaults.

You won't get outmatched by tryhards with proto assault rifles if you 1) don't try to run across an open field in your fatsuit and 2) stick with a logi or two. Seriously, if you run into enemies in close quarters now you'll almost always come out on top (unless you're horribly outnumbered).

I would've liked to have gone heavy this build I just wasn't crazy about the Amarr variant being the only one they made available. I hope they make an exception to their "this is our last respec*" policy when they finally release the last of the racial variants because it was really dumb to only give you one option for heavy and two for scout when they made a big deal of showing off all the art and such for each at fanfest.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember kids, AWOXing is just like terrorism.

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=875795#post875795

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Present posted:

I have two very solid ideas on how to improve our PC game after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1IJov0Jqw but I think I'll hold on to them until we get our own forums. They're still coming right?

SOON™

Uba Stij posted:

He has no trademark! Burn the heretic.

But in all seriousness do we have any sort of timeline or is it still "whenever solo isn't waist deep in breaking GoonFleet.com"?

Skype Leak:
[08:42:06] Samahiel Sotken: Why is it easier to find linear B symbols on the drat ubuntu character map than the tiny TM symbol.
[08:42:36] Samahiel Sotken: ୭ I refuse to believe that's a useful character
[08:43:29] Samahiel Sotken: ൌ that's apparently a Malayalam vowel sign that is an archaic form of the /au/ dependent vowel.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 29, 2013

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

He has no trademark! Burn the heretic.

But in all seriousness do we have any sort of timeline or is it still "whenever solo isn't waist deep in breaking GoonFleet.com"?

edit - Stop using Ubuntu and you'll solve your problems.

On a side note I sort of realized something that may need to be added to the game, most likely in PvE when that comes out.

There is quite clearly not tie in to the "New Eden Story" outside of dev posts/articles and slight influence on Faction Warfare. In EVE you have your missions which tie you into whats going on and teaches you the mechanics and lets you just do missions for ISK/loot right? Why wouldn't they do, each build, smallish campaigns for the DUST guys to go through in a PVE mode? It may not be on the same level of a campaign as say Call of Duty or other games but at least you can learn about the different stories/conflicts within New Eden in a way where you develop your core skills in playing DUST 514.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 15:27 on May 29, 2013

Towner
Jun 18, 2006

Fuck this, I need beer

IronSaber posted:

Man, how cool would it be to be able to use Dust clones as boarding parties to capture ships in space battles?

This isn't relevant to anything at the moment, just a cool thought I had.

Going back to this. I too have been thinking about this. It's easy enough to envisage a boarding ship class / module which is then tied directly to squads waiting in a game lobby. Difficult software engineering problem to keep synchronised but with planetary bombardment they've made some baby steps down this road.

But the biggest issue is how do you then handle both a fight in EVE and Dust going on simultaneously? Say you board a titan and it initiates a round of Dust pulling fighters from both attacking and defending corporation pools. What happens if the ship you just boarded gets blown up? Does the Dust game just end? Even the largest titan can go down in seconds under certain conditions. It's more likely EVE will be time dilated and the time frames would match up, but the fundamental issue here is battles happen at different rates between the games. You could set the ship in EVE to become 'reinforced' whilst the battle goes on. This doesn't really make any sense though. Not that, that has ever stopped CCP.

What happens if the defenders don't field any one? Just a capture the point race against the self destruct timer? Dust blue balls will be a thing. I think you'd have to let the boarding modules lock time affect clone counts as well. Destroying the boarding ship quickly limits the clone numbers and gives the defenders an advantage. Could you set it up maybe as a PvE type experience which relies on EVE pilots fitting some internal defence modules which murder Dust players or reduce clone numbers? I think CCP would have to implement EVE subsystems here to allow pilots to affect these battles in a big enough way to let them stomach the risks of losing an 80 billion isk ship to 16 guys from a game console in suits that cost less than a million. You're basically trying to balance a 4 way asymmetrical battle. This would be incredibly difficult to pull off and satisfy all 4 parties.

Still if the attackers are victorious, you can easily imagine the pilot being cloned and a fully working titan then drifting pilotless for any one to claim. It would certainly make EVE pay attention to Dust in a big way.

I'd love to see CCP attempt something like this as it's never been done, but realistically they haven't even got enough maps on Barren planets yet, let alone the other planet types. Maybe if EVE and Dust are still around in 10 years time.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Still no respec for me. Dangit!

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

Exioce posted:

If you really do find yourself rolling solo you're better off not being convinced and stick with your comfort zone. Rocking the HMG/ Heavy is like playing a different game compared to the fast pace of the AR suits and you'll regret it if you sink into and don't like the playstyle. A happy effective AR/Assault suit would be better than a disgruntled Heavy.

Fuzzyjello
Jan 28, 2013

Present posted:

I do the whole no-squad, lone wolf thing 90% of the time I play, so I really need a suit that allows me to murder the other guy before he finishes reloading his primary. Having a pistol capable of outputting 880 units of damage in a couple of seconds is how I do it. So it makes sense for me to maximize that suit because I spend almost all of my time in it. Especially if it's only 1.5 mil or so SP over the basic one.

If my play style was run with a squad all the time then yeah, Caldari logi would no doubt be the better choice.

Also, there's no way CCP is going to continue letting logis be better than assaults for squad combat. Long term, assault will have all the glory again!

I agree. But I believe that CCP will end up buffing assault to bring them in line with everyone else. One of the ways they could do this is by increasing CPU/PG across the board and giving each assault suit (or at least two of them) additional equipment slots. Once that happens, they will likely be superior to the Logis.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not to be a broken record but is anyone else who requested a respec as-of-yet not received it?

I saw a forum post from a Dev that as of today they have "respecced everyone who requested it." But mine is not changed. Unless I'm supposed to do something. I assume I'd just log in and see all my isk and sp backed out and be skill-less, yes?

EDDIE__DINGLE
Mar 18, 2013

Feenix posted:

Not to be a broken record but is anyone else who requested a respec as-of-yet not received it?

I saw a forum post from a Dev that as of today they have "respecced everyone who requested it." But mine is not changed. Unless I'm supposed to do something. I assume I'd just log in and see all my isk and sp backed out and be skill-less, yes?

Fenix I got mine yesterday, yes you should see all SP refunded and the amount of ISK previously spent on skill books.\

Suspicious Package
Jun 18, 2004

Feenix posted:

You are not the only one. Still have not received mine.

Monastery Dweller
Jul 13, 2010

Eee-Yup.

imperialparadox posted:

How does the game play with the Move Controller? I was considering getting a keyboard/mouse setup, but is the Move thing fairly accurate in play? If it's anything like Wii controllers with their almost-but-not-quite accuracy, it would drive me crazy.

Well it definitely takes some getting used to. First of all I set the deadzone to 0% and the turn speed to 80-90%. I still have to mess around with the sensibility. It is hard to play as the sniper with this setup because that gun automatically sways a bit and it is nearly impossible to smooth that out with the move. Yesterday I tried it with the regular dualshock but compared to, say Halo 4 the controls are really floaty anyway so I guess I'll stick with the move.

I really got used to it in Killzone 3 where move controls are somewhere between pad controls and mouse/keyboard. And it is definitely more fun to aim a thing at a guy and pulling a trigger than moving a stick around.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DemonDream posted:

You are not the only one. Still have not received mine.

Waiting here as well. I want to forge gun people, dammit.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well looks like CCP Eterne fixed that guys attack on Grief University being "Muslim Brotherhood candidates"

It's amazing how easily irritated and harassing the console community is, yet they cry foul so quickly on things.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD

PerrineClostermann posted:

Waiting here as well. I want to forge gun people, dammit.

The glow at the front of the forge gun is way too bright right now. It's really annoying.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Fuzzyjello posted:

I agree. But I believe that CCP will end up buffing assault to bring them in line with everyone else. One of the ways they could do this is by increasing CPU/PG across the board and giving each assault suit (or at least two of them) additional equipment slots. Once that happens, they will likely be superior to the Logis.

Yes, making Assualts better logis than logis would make them superior. They should add something like increased ammos, better suit stats (armor/shield, recharge times/rate, etc). Maybe even making the racial/role bonuses less awful or something. But giving the Assaults more logi like is not the answer.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Exioce posted:

I've been thinking about our need for Heavy's and our over-reliance on Assaults. Someone convince me that a loner, run-around type such as myself would actually prefer a slowpoke with a short-range HMG. At the end of the day all I truly care about is killing lots of mans and seeing my name up topside at the end of the match. Will Heavy get me there more often than an Assault with an AR? I guess my greatest fear is being continuously outmatched/ranged/flanked by Duvolle toting Assaults.

I only had my first "oh I kind of get it sorta" moments as a heavy last night, but it seems to me like a matter of play-style preference. Running around felt like a much more strategic decision, since my tubby butt got caught out very easily on open ground. But when I took the time to position myself well, the feeling of melting a dude into goo was very satisfying. The best was when some of the raspberries I'd caught looked straight at me and fired back all they could, knowing they could only soften me up a little before going down.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. Aside from a Passive (or active) Booster, I'm not able to affect much in the speed in which I gain SP, right?

That 300,000 SP skill seems so far away... Like weeks... No matter how hard or how much I play.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Feenix posted:

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything obvious. Aside from a Passive (or active) Booster, I'm not able to affect much in the speed in which I gain SP, right?

That 300,000 SP skill seems so far away... Like weeks... No matter how hard or how much I play.

That'll take about 12 days of unboosted passive SP accumulation. 8 days with a standard passive booster, and faster if you actually play.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

bam thwok posted:

That'll take about 12 days of unboosted passive SP accumulation. 8 days with a standard passive booster, and faster if you actually play.

I guess that's not so bad, just seems weird having such an odd SP earning method. At this point I think I'd pay actual money to unlock the skill.

( which I realize its good this isn't actually allowed. Just feels like for the most part I have to sit and wait if I want the level-up. I can play, but the earnings are low enough that its still more about letting the passive earnings do their job.)

[Edit] are Mass Drivers good? I feel like the high SP prices kinda force singular specialization but I'd love to try one out ...

Feenix fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 29, 2013

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Sonnuvabitch... I just bought a merc pack for the AUR, to get that passive OMEGA booster only to find its gone.

How often does unique shot like that show up?

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Feenix posted:

Sonnuvabitch... I just bought a merc pack for the AUR, to get that passive OMEGA booster only to find its gone.

How often does unique shot like that show up?

I imagine it will show up again. Hang on to some of that AUR in the meanwhile.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm sitting on like 37,000 AUR which is a little excessive but I don't like spending it on weapons.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You earn several thousand SP per match. Over the course of a handful of minutes, far faster than the boosters. Passive earns faster it seems because you dont have to do work to get it.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
No I get that it still pays to play (obviously! :) ) but the skills are basically scaled on an economy that necessitates serious waiting. Want that 300K Level 5 Skill? Even if you play a bunch, it's gonna be DAYS!

Is it even possible to earn over 10k in a match? Matches are weird. Sometimes I do amazing and get like 3k. Sometimes I do ok, and get like 6k.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine

Feenix posted:

No I get that it still pays to play (obviously! :) ) but the skills are basically scaled on an economy that necessitates serious waiting. Want that 300K Level 5 Skill? Even if you play a bunch, it's gonna be DAYS!

Is it even possible to earn over 10k in a match? Matches are weird. Sometimes I do amazing and get like 3k. Sometimes I do ok, and get like 6k.

Biggest component of match SP earned is time spent in the match. If you do amazing and win the match quickly you earn less SP than if you had done just OK and the match came down to the last few bars of the two MCCs. That's why matches that are balanced are the best way to earn SP. Simply because they take the longest to resolve.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
When do you get out of "Academy" matches? I don't feel like I'm good enough to play with goons and I have no voice chat yet, but I don't want to play Ambush anymore.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Feenix posted:

Long matches with an active booster will get you over 10k. It'd have to be a reaaally long match to do it unboosted. The only time I managed it was right before the Uprising patch, when there was a week-long triple SP multiplier. This meant that a 6,700 SP match (unboosted, mind you) became a 20,100 SP match :getin:

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Arcaeris posted:

When do you get out of "Academy" matches? I don't feel like I'm good enough to play with goons and I have no voice chat yet, but I don't want to play Ambush anymore.

I believe it is War Points? based but to give you an idea I just graduated out and I'm between skills 21 and 22 on the newbee guide, so somewhere around 750k SP? If I was to guess I'd say less than a dozen matches total played.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcaeris posted:

You leave it when you reach about 10k lifetime war points which should take you about 10 or so matches.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

You leave it when you reach about 10k lifetime war points which should take you about 10 or so matches.

Or 2 Million Skill Points, which ever happens first. It's pretty easy to graduate out of. Don't worry about sucking too much. We don't give a gently caress about random matches other than making some money/SP. You still get paid if you lose.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

Arcaeris posted:

I don't feel like I'm good enough to play with goons

We're not super serious elite FPS players, don't worry about being bad. As long as you at least attempt to capture a point nobody is going to care about your k/d or your war points. If somebody actually does give you poo poo for being bad, make sure you name and shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

This pack costs $4. It has 20000 AUR, a Guristas Saga LAV BPO, and some other poo poo.

In other words, it's a huge deal, the AUR is worth way more than $4.

• Locked thread