Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
You know, I looked at that game, and I wasn't sure if that was it, but the more I think about it, I think it is. I don't quite remember it being entirely like Stronghold, but other stuff does seem to fit. Especially the other modes mode; I remember there being a story mode that I didn't really bother with, but instead this other mode that was multiplayer and it seems to fit in with what I remember. The menu does look vaguely familiar, too. I can't find the castle upgrading screen for the first one, but the description I'm finding about Stronghold 2's castle upgrading seems to fit.

I'll have to ask my dad about it, since he played multiplayer with me on it. I've asked him before if he remembered the game and he too couldn't remember the name of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012
Ages and ages ago in what must have been the early to mid 90s, I remember this PC game where you had dinosaurs on a grid and you had to survive, I think? I remember there being a pop up dialogue about an extinction event threatening my whatevers. I can't remember if you controlled a single dinosaur or if it was more of a sandbox game but my kid memories say I was controlling a single dinosaur and clicking around the grid to move.

Of course nowadays I wonder if I dreamt the whole thing, considering I also remember Chex Quest never getting past the intro and crashing when it did, and having slightly more modern ( for the time) CGI and more adult looking space captain dude. Come to think of it, that might have been a game from a box of Honeycomb and not Chex Quest at all.

Anyone able to shed some light on these games that may have never existed outside of garbled childhood memories?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cirrial posted:

Ages and ages ago in what must have been the early to mid 90s, I remember this PC game where you had dinosaurs on a grid and you had to survive, I think? I remember there being a pop up dialogue about an extinction event threatening my whatevers. I can't remember if you controlled a single dinosaur or if it was more of a sandbox game but my kid memories say I was controlling a single dinosaur and clicking around the grid to move.

Of course nowadays I wonder if I dreamt the whole thing, considering I also remember Chex Quest never getting past the intro and crashing when it did, and having slightly more modern ( for the time) CGI and more adult looking space captain dude. Come to think of it, that might have been a game from a box of Honeycomb and not Chex Quest at all.

Anyone able to shed some light on these games that may have never existed outside of garbled childhood memories?

Dinosaur Predators?

Cirrial
Oct 24, 2012

No, I don't think this was it. I remember there being like a more Windows 95 style windowed interface with a menu bar and things. Of course, as I said, it might not have really existed. Thank you for pointing this out to me, though! That lets me rule out one of the possibilities.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.
When I was in elementary school in the early 90s there was a game in the computer lab where you had to light up caves and you could use pulleys and fulcrum and other physics/engineering things. I don't remember much else unfortunately and Googling for the last couple of hours has gotten me nowhere. I can remember every other little game from back then, like Spellevator, Cross Country USA, Storybook Weaver, etc, but not this one. Any ideas?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Syjefroi posted:

When I was in elementary school in the early 90s there was a game in the computer lab where you had to light up caves and you could use pulleys and fulcrum and other physics/engineering things. I don't remember much else unfortunately and Googling for the last couple of hours has gotten me nowhere. I can remember every other little game from back then, like Spellevator, Cross Country USA, Storybook Weaver, etc, but not this one. Any ideas?

I spent a bit of time searching, and the best I could come up with is Gizmos and Gadgets, which I realize is wrong. Good luck.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kgummy posted:

You know, I looked at that game, and I wasn't sure if that was it, but the more I think about it, I think it is. I don't quite remember it being entirely like Stronghold, but other stuff does seem to fit. Especially the other modes mode; I remember there being a story mode that I didn't really bother with, but instead this other mode that was multiplayer and it seems to fit in with what I remember. The menu does look vaguely familiar, too. I can't find the castle upgrading screen for the first one, but the description I'm finding about Stronghold 2's castle upgrading seems to fit.

I'll have to ask my dad about it, since he played multiplayer with me on it. I've asked him before if he remembered the game and he too couldn't remember the name of it.

From your first paragraph I thought it was Stronghold too, but that game is not turn-based and player's bases are on the same map. In campaign mode you could get attacked from off-screen, though.

Your description doesn't sound like the 2001 Stronghold, unless I'm really misremembering the game. There's also the Stronghold released in 1993, but that one is real-time as well.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Kgummy posted:

This has been bugging me for awhile. I believe this game came out pre-2000, or at least fairly close to then. You basically run a castle and village, or some such. It had multiplayer, and I think it was up to four players, at least on one map. It wasn't a 'same computer' type multiplayer. The castle could be upgraded, from what I recall, and was a sort of head on/side view, though I'm not entirely sure. Additionally, this trader came every so often and you could buy what you needed from him.

Lords of the Realm? Sounds like the 2nd one.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
What was that terrible goon-made game someone posted here a year or so ago? It was a really crappy 2d RPG with awful music.

EDIT: Okay, I might be thinking of The Demon Rush from several years ago, but I could've sworn there was another one not too long ago.

gandlethorpe fucked around with this message at 20:03 on May 13, 2013

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gandlethorpe posted:

What was that terrible goon-made game someone posted here a year or so ago? It was a really crappy 2d RPG with awful music.

EDIT: Okay, I might be thinking of The Demon Rush from several years ago, but I could've sworn there was another one not too long ago.
There was a The Demon Rush like mocking of a game, Crimson Haze, but the guy never actually produced anything. It was just concepts and 'hey someone make this game for me.' And one song.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Plus Crimson Haze was an epic 3D adventure

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

From your first paragraph I thought it was Stronghold too, but that game is not turn-based and player's bases are on the same map. In campaign mode you could get attacked from off-screen, though.

Your description doesn't sound like the 2001 Stronghold, unless I'm really misremembering the game. There's also the Stronghold released in 1993, but that one is real-time as well.
After talking to my dad about the game, he said that 'Stronghold' sounded familiar, but the more recent one was 'too detailed', but I did find that 1993 version, and he said it looked closer to what it was.

He did remember one thing that I didn't: Trade routes were in it.

Mokinokaro posted:

Lords of the Realm? Sounds like the 2nd one.
This looks very much like it. Looking at the GoG 'royal edition' version, it shows a town layout that looks very familiar. As is the barracks.

My dad agrees on it looking very similar. Looking at the manual confirms it. This is it for sure! Some of the details I was remembering were a bit off, but that's somewhat to be expected since came out around '97. And the 'top and bottom' thing I was thinking of seems to have just been the battle map I remembered the most.

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~
Anyone remember a game that was multiplayer focused about 10-15 years ago that had very similar combat to Dark Messiah: Might & Magic except it was older? It had teams where people would run around casting spells in first person, would be knights, etc. My memory is really fuzzy but I think it may have been a might & magic game of some sort. Also, I think some of the maps had objectives to complete.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

dongsweep posted:

Anyone remember a game that was multiplayer focused about 10-15 years ago that had very similar combat to Dark Messiah: Might & Magic except it was older? It had teams where people would run around casting spells in first person, would be knights, etc. My memory is really fuzzy but I think it may have been a might & magic game of some sort. Also, I think some of the maps had objectives to complete.
Crusader of Might & Magic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9hEm77-r0

edit: Oh wait, multiplayer, I can't read apparently.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Forgedbow posted:

Crusader of Might & Magic?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9hEm77-r0

edit: Oh wait, multiplayer, I can't read apparently.

You're on the right track:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/legends-of-might-and-magic

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I bought into a beta of some space game a while back. It has a thread here, but I can't remember it either. You started out with just one ship, I think, and could capture or buy more as you explored the galaxy. Combat involved managing flux, which you could dump out if it got too high but that left you vurnable for a while.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Darkrenown posted:

I bought into a beta of some space game a while back. It has a thread here, but I can't remember it either. You started out with just one ship, I think, and could capture or buy more as you explored the galaxy. Combat involved managing flux, which you could dump out if it got too high but that left you vurnable for a while.
Starfarer?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Yes, thanks!

dongsweep
Nov 28, 2004

~ P * R * I * D * E ~

That's it! Thanks guys.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

I'm trying to find a DOS-based title that I played back in 1991 or 1992 on the PC, and the game could have been quite older than that. It was a horror game sort of like Uninvited (I'm pretty sure it's not this game because the DOS version looks to have funky colors and used a mouse, I believe), had color graphics, and the controls were entirely text-based. I remember one of the screens had two creepy looking twin girls that turned into vampires if you hit them. Sound familiar at all? It was not from the Hugo series of games.

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

roffels posted:

I'm trying to find a DOS-based title that I played back in 1991 or 1992 on the PC, and the game could have been quite older than that. It was a horror game sort of like Uninvited (I'm pretty sure it's not this game because the DOS version looks to have funky colors and used a mouse, I believe), had color graphics, and the controls were entirely text-based. I remember one of the screens had two creepy looking twin girls that turned into vampires if you hit them. Sound familiar at all? It was not from the Hugo series of games.

Pretty sure this is Last Half Of Darkness

Fantastic atmosphere for its time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
There was a PC game very similar to Command Adventures: Starship that came out around the same time (1993):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/command-adventures-starship/screenshots
It's not this game. It was of this sort of Elite "get a space ship and fly around doing whatever" style but with the individual crew members and ability to land on a planet and explore it from an overhead view whenever you wanted. It wasn't any of the awful Star Trek games of the time either.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Neo Rasa posted:

There was a PC game very similar to Command Adventures: Starship that came out around the same time (1993):
It's not this game. It was of this sort of Elite "get a space ship and fly around doing whatever" style but with the individual crew members and ability to land on a planet and explore it from an overhead view whenever you wanted. It wasn't any of the awful Star Trek games of the time either.

Starflight?

http://www.starflt.com/

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I just remembered another Elite-ish game, I think either on the Atari ST or Amiga, and the most interesting bit was you could open communications with other ships and chat to them. It had a natural language parser, like a chatbot, so you could mess around shooting the poo poo about the space weather or whatever, then outright threaten them and start demanding all their stuff.

It felt pretty advanced at the time, you could be pretty creative with the dialogue and it would still get the gist, the other pilots would change their attitude if you threatened them and would take some coaxing if you wanted to smooth things over... Honestly I think I spent more time playing with that than actually flying around and doing whatever you did in the game. Anyone else remember this?

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Cidrick posted:

I wish I could say with a definitive "That's it!" but it's been so long that my childhood memories are distorting what it looks like. However, it hits the 3 elements I remember, commanding the game to hit the girls, vampires, and twins. So, possibly! Thanks.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

baka kaba posted:

I just remembered another Elite-ish game, I think either on the Atari ST or Amiga, and the most interesting bit was you could open communications with other ships and chat to them. It had a natural language parser, like a chatbot, so you could mess around shooting the poo poo about the space weather or whatever, then outright threaten them and start demanding all their stuff.

Federation of Free Traders?

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
Pretty sure this is an obvious one. Which is the one from the 80's/early 90's, Macintosh I think, you're a white hat, there's a bunch of black hats running around,and some rainbow flashy hats. You ride trains around, the black hats are trying to turn you into them. Google isn't helping because apparently there's something called a black hat cyber security conference happening now.

How dreadful!
Mar 17, 2009

Cirrial posted:

Evolution: The Game of Intelligent Life

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Neo Rasa posted:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/planets-edge-the-point-of-no-return

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doomguy's first job

beef express
Sep 7, 2005

The highest technique is to have no technique.

baka kaba posted:

It felt pretty advanced at the time, you could be pretty creative with the dialogue and it would still get the gist, the other pilots would change their attitude if you threatened them and would take some coaxing if you wanted to smooth things over... Honestly I think I spent more time playing with that than actually flying around and doing whatever you did in the game. Anyone else remember this?

Might be Enterprise, which had an eliza-style chat system.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Cidrick posted:

I think I remember playing this, or something very similar. Does a snake pop out and kill you if you open the wrong drawer in one of the rooms? That really scared me as a kid.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Gromit posted:

Federation of Free Traders?

That name sure rings a bell so I'm thinking yes!

beef express posted:

Might be Enterprise, which had an eliza-style chat system.

That looks vaguely familiar somehow, but I don't think it's that. Maybe it's the cockpit view that reminds me of something...

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 27, 2013

Cidrick
Jun 10, 2001

Praise the siamese

Phlegmish posted:

I think I remember playing this, or something very similar. Does a snake pop out and kill you if you open the wrong drawer in one of the rooms? That really scared me as a kid.

Yep, that's this game. There's also an uncovered coffin somewhere outside with something that kills you. There's really a lot of ways to die if you just look at the wrong thing.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013
I've already asked for one, but I just remembered another that I remember I played once on MAME ages ago, it was a top down shmup, but it focused around a boss rush style of level layout, with fighting game stylings in the way things played out. The one other thing I remember about it was that there was a powerup that allowed you to switch places with the enemy and take control of the massive boss plane for a limited time.

AndyAML
Jul 24, 2006

HEY BASS WHY MUST I FIGHT YOU WE ARE NOT ENEMIES

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

I've already asked for one, but I just remembered another that I remember I played once on MAME ages ago, it was a top down shmup, but it focused around a boss rush style of level layout, with fighting game stylings in the way things played out. The one other thing I remember about it was that there was a powerup that allowed you to switch places with the enemy and take control of the massive boss plane for a limited time.
This sounds like Change Air Blade.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013

That'd be the one.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I remember this sorta Sims knock-off that tried to be 'edgy' and 'scandalous.' It wasn't that outright pornographic one, though, and I think it had a seven deadly sins theme? I only recall it because I remember a Let's Play of it tht I don't think ever got finished.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Endorph posted:

I remember this sorta Sims knock-off that tried to be 'edgy' and 'scandalous.' It wasn't that outright pornographic one, though, and I think it had a seven deadly sins theme? I only recall it because I remember a Let's Play of it tht I don't think ever got finished.

If you're talking about 7 Sins, it got finished. Unfortunately, for all involved. :gonk:

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Keeshhound posted:

If you're talking about 7 Sins, it got finished. Unfortunately, for all involved :gonk:
That's the one! Thanks.

• Locked thread