Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

wdarkk posted:

When I get info on the split albums, it gives me a "multiple item info" window.

Do I need to go through and do each track one at a time?

Yes, that's the normal window that comes up for Info when you select multiple tracks, if they are apart of one album or multiple albums. In the case of a compilation, they are marked as different albums because that's just multiple albums that all share the same name by different artists. Something like Led Zeppelin's "II" and Chicago's "II" for example.

But if you have a soundtrack or something like that with multiple artists, you select all the tracks on that album, and then mark them as a compilation. Because although those artists all appear on that one album, you do that to join all the songs that share the same album name.

EDIT: I have an iTunes thread too:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3022963

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Hughlander posted:

So due to my own stupidity my MBP isn't booting. It gets to one of the boot screens shows a spinner icon for 4 seconds, it goes away and comes back after 10. Repeat for hours.

No problem I think, I'll just command-R and do some recovery. The only problem is that the HD in it is a SSD that IT at work installed Mountain Lion on, but then was connected to my old Lion drive and everything was copied over, so I have a Lion recovery partition. Even after doing Internet Recovery the only option is to Install Lion. Which then fails because a newer version of the OS is installed.

I have my home Apple ID with Mountain Lion purchase, and my work Apple ID with OSX developer access and as such Mountain Lion purchase on it, but if I follow the instructions in the OP of:

Will that let me reinstall/recover without destroying things in /Users and other non system folders? Alternatively I can probably fumble around the LD_LIBRARY_PATH enough to get ftp working and copy the files I need but I'd rather not spend my 3 day weekend recovering from my own stupidity.
Got any active Macs running 10.8 (with the proper recovery partition) that you can access? If so get a spare USB stick and just make a recovery drive off that machine. That'll save you a bunch of time starting up on recovering crap if nothing else.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I love f.lux, but it's still too bright to me because my eyes are more sensitive than most. I tried using Shade but it interferes with f.lux and makes the colors cold again. Is there another brightness reducing software that can imitate or work with f.lux to reduce brightness even more than standard? Or maybe some kind of dark film I can stick on my display?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Am I the only one that just turns the brightness down at night?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

PRADA SLUT posted:

Am I the only one that just turns the brightness down at night?

Well I do too, but it's still too bright. I found one that doesn't interfere with f.lux called Shady (not to be confused with Shade) but its developers stopped updating it after Snow Leopard so it doesn't work with full screens.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

I love f.lux, but it's still too bright to me because my eyes are more sensitive than most. I tried using Shade but it interferes with f.lux and makes the colors cold again. Is there another brightness reducing software that can imitate or work with f.lux to reduce brightness even more than standard? Or maybe some kind of dark film I can stick on my display?

Brightness Slider does the job for me. Just remember to disable 'Automatically adjust brightness' on Displays.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

UnfurledSails posted:

Why not ask for a feature request?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D

gmq posted:

https://www.rescuetime.com/

The free version should be enough.

Thanks dude. Anyone else interested,I also found a good app called "concentrate." You can task it to shut other non essential poo poo or stop you from web browsing etc.
With both apps, I should be good.

Bob Morales posted:

Rebooted and now it's fine. Didn't take a real good look at Activity monitor before I restarted so I'm not sure if something else was going crazy but my CPU wasn't being pegged.

Adding to my frustration I just noticed that the letter keys don't repeat when you hold them down? Apparently it's been like this since Lion but I didn't notice it until now.

I think you can change this under your system preferences- under the keyboard section.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

UnfurledSails posted:

Look up Nocturne - you can not only put a white-on-black night mode on, but you can tint the colours so it actually becomes a red-on-black mode instead.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

UnfurledSails posted:

I've suggested it before and I'll suggest it again: try wearing sunglasses?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

japtor posted:

Got any active Macs running 10.8 (with the proper recovery partition) that you can access? If so get a spare USB stick and just make a recovery drive off that machine. That'll save you a bunch of time starting up on recovering crap if nothing else.

Thanks, I pretty much just did what the OP said and other than having to reinstall command line tools through XCode I seem to be back where I was with only an hour or so wasted. Local store even had 32GB thumb drives on sale for $19 which is cheaper than Newegg even!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeah, but cheap generic flash drives usually have poo poo controllers and don't write as fast as a Patriot or Corsair stick. If it's a drive you're only going to write to once, like as a recovery drive, then it's fine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Kenny Logins posted:

I've suggested it before and I'll suggest it again: try wearing sunglasses?

Get some Gunnars. They actually do help some people.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Get some Gunnars. They actually do help some people.

I don't always wear Gunnars, but when I do it's because I had a loving eye twitch that wouldn't stop. Actually solved the problem.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I was at a trade show and they had a booth. They're more than just colored lenses. They use high-quality lenses (I believe Carl Zeiss) with double antireflective coatings, in addition to the tinting.

That may or may not help some people; I have the same coat on my regular eyeglasses and feel like it helps me when I'm looking at my screen.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

PRADA SLUT posted:

I was at a trade show and they had a booth. They're more than just colored lenses. They use high-quality lenses (I believe Carl Zeiss) with double antireflective coatings, in addition to the tinting.

That may or may not help some people; I have the same coat on my regular eyeglasses and feel like it helps me when I'm looking at my screen.
I wasn't originally thinking Gunnars but basically if you're at the point where you're considering putting a dark film on your laptop screen, and your condition probably pervades other aspects of your life, maybe some sort of eyewear purchase/upgrade is in order.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a way to keep Safari from refreshing when I go back with a gesture?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What program do I want to use to make a family tree?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Pages?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

This page appears to have free Pages templates to that effect. Haven't tested them though. You could probably search and find more.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I think there's genealogy apps specifically for making family trees, otherwise I guess look into mind mapping or drawing/layout apps. The big advantage of those over Pages is that you can get dynamic links so you can move stuff around at will without having to redo all the connecting lines, they'll just keep up automatically. And with mind mapping apps you can get some hierarchy form automatically with them which should be make things easier, like they can automatically do a bunch of the layout after entering the data in vs doing it all manually in a drawing app.

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

What program do I want to use to make a family tree?

If you don't need fancy formatting check out http://www.delineato.com/. It's a cheap "Distraction-free Diagramming and Mindmapping" app.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

I think I just found a really neat hidden feature of the OS X spell checker... I was writing an email and had to type out the name of a variable, say, variableName, but I misspelled it as varibaleName, and it gave me the good old red dotted line.

I changed it back to variableName and now it's no longer recognised as misspelled by OS X :monocle:

Is this really built in or did it hitch a ride with some dev environment I've installed?

Also, as I typed up this post, it highlighted both variable names as misspelled, so maybe it only works in plaintext emails and textedit?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So I guess this can go in the software thread.

I've got a new 27" iMac and for some reason Netflix in full screen is a dog. I have a secondary display via a Thunderbolt to DVI adapter and in full screen Netflix is fine, regardless of the browser. If I attempt to use the primary display, as soon as I go to full-screen, it stutters on any sort of fast motion in the movie. This happens regardless of browser. My Silverlight is up to date. I've Googled it, but all the hits are from a few years ago where people had problems no matter what size the video was in. I'm guessing the answer is "Silverlight" because I do MLB.TV and NHL Gamecenter on the main display in full screen with no issues. I just wondered if there was some weird setting I need to use.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 28, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Did you make sure the latest version was installed? If not, look in your /Applications folder and /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder. If you see Silverlight in Applications, delete it from there and from /Library/Internet Plug-ins. If it's not in /Applications, delete it from /Library/Internet Plug-ins.

Then go to this page: http://web.sldrm.video.msn.com/d1/sldrm.html

Download the latest Silverlight from the link that shows up on the page (a graphic labeled 'Install Microsoft Silverlight')

Install it and then see if the movie plays at the aforementioned link. Ctrl-click or right click on the movie and you should get Silverlight preferences.. go to Playback and make sure hardware acceleration is checked.

The latest version of Silverlight is v.5.1.20125.0... god knows if they actually offload to the GPU or not, I'm betting not if the new version doesn't resolve your issues.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 28, 2013

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My boss needs to export his emails to give out to someone (I'm not given a whole lot of details on this). He uses the built in Mail program, and wants to export thousands of emails to an external hard drive he is physically mailing. He wants someone on a PC to read these emails easily.

We tried an export, and it seems they come out to a .mbox folder, with some text files inside of it basically (the default and only export option). I couldn't read it on my work PC through Thunderbird however. But when he did a single email, it came out as a .eml file which could be read in Thunderbird without a problem. But he can't do this with the (hundreds of?) thousands of emails he has.

Does someone know a good way to export Mac's Mail emails to some more-universal format? Or something that will convert the .mbox folders into something Windows can read?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

IUG posted:

My boss needs to export his emails to give out to someone (I'm not given a whole lot of details on this). He uses the built in Mail program, and wants to export thousands of emails to an external hard drive he is physically mailing. He wants someone on a PC to read these emails easily.

We tried an export, and it seems they come out to a .mbox folder, with some text files inside of it basically (the default and only export option). I couldn't read it on my work PC through Thunderbird however. But when he did a single email, it came out as a .eml file which could be read in Thunderbird without a problem. But he can't do this with the (hundreds of?) thousands of emails he has.

Does someone know a good way to export Mac's Mail emails to some more-universal format? Or something that will convert the .mbox folders into something Windows can read?

Your boss is being audited, run!!!

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

IUG posted:

Are you using Exchange or IMAP to connect to your email server? If so the easiest option is probably to set up the account in that and then dum the emails to a PST or drag them out as individual files.

If you're using POP or he's pulled all his mail onto his computer it'll be a lot more difficult. I think you're probably on the right track with Thunderbird for mbox, but it's been a while since I've used it. Have you tried stripping the .mbox extension from the files and dropping them directly into the folder Thunderbird stores its local mail in to see if they just show up? The other alternative is install Office and see if it'll let you suck the email out of Apple Mail directly and then export it to a more useful format.

Edit: actually come to think of it, has he tried just dragging the folders out of Mail onto the desktop? It works in Outlook and a lot of the rest of OS X so it might be worth a shot here.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

pipes! posted:

That's adorable:

Link, in case anyone is interested.

Ah, I didn't realise grabbing the workflow also includes all the embedded files. That's pretty neat, gonna have to keep an eye out for fun things as people switch to Alfred v2 and start playing around with it

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Mercurius posted:

If you're using POP or he's pulled all his mail onto his computer it'll be a lot more difficult. I think you're probably on the right track with Thunderbird for mbox, but it's been a while since I've used it. Have you tried stripping the .mbox extension from the files and dropping them directly into the folder Thunderbird stores its local mail in to see if they just show up? The other alternative is install Office and see if it'll let you suck the email out of Apple Mail directly and then export it to a more useful format.

Edit: actually come to think of it, has he tried just dragging the folders out of Mail onto the desktop? It works in Outlook and a lot of the rest of OS X so it might be worth a shot here.

He was using POP. If you drag and drop in Mail, it won't let you do anything for mail boxes. It will let you do that for emails, but only one at a time (no Command + A, or selecting multiple). Trying an Outlook trial and import might be something to try, but I don't know how that will work out.

We're not getting audited, we're merging with another company.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Binary Badger posted:

Did you make sure the latest version was installed? If not, look in your /Applications folder and /Library/Internet Plug-ins folder. If you see Silverlight in Applications, delete it from there and from /Library/Internet Plug-ins. If it's not in /Applications, delete it from /Library/Internet Plug-ins.

Then go to this page: http://web.sldrm.video.msn.com/d1/sldrm.html

Download the latest Silverlight from the link that shows up on the page (a graphic labeled 'Install Microsoft Silverlight')

Install it and then see if the movie plays at the aforementioned link. Ctrl-click or right click on the movie and you should get Silverlight preferences.. go to Playback and make sure hardware acceleration is checked.

The latest version of Silverlight is v.5.1.20125.0... god knows if they actually offload to the GPU or not, I'm betting not if the new version doesn't resolve your issues.

I was already running the newest version but manually deleting the plugin and then reinstalling it worked. I guess there might have been remnants somehow of the old one?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

IUG posted:

He was using POP. If you drag and drop in Mail, it won't let you do anything for mail boxes. It will let you do that for emails, but only one at a time (no Command + A, or selecting multiple). Trying an Outlook trial and import might be something to try, but I don't know how that will work out.

We're not getting audited, we're merging with another company.
I played around with it in a VM and there's no clean way to do it without third party stuff. Mozilla's got a pretty good article on how to get it into a format Thunderbird can use and there's an extension for Thunderbird that can export it to other formats from there: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Mail.app

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I've got a situation that I could use a little help with, hopefully someone here has had a similar problem.

I've got a friend whose wife works from home. She VPNs into a government site to do something with medical records I believe. The thing is that she fucks up a computer just by touching it. She has an old Windows XP box that she uses and of course with security support ending soon for that there's no way she should continue using it. She's hosed it up so badly so many times that she ended up buying a second dirt-cheap WinXP box just so she can switch with a KVM to her personal machine and back since the work PC is completely unusable for anything but the VPN.

Since I'm going to be "supporting" her breaking things constantly I was going to recommend a Mac Mini to replace her PC and I was thinking that if there was a way to use either Parallels or VMWare Fusion to run her VPN software it would keep her problems confined. I figure it's a lot less work to fix a Mac with a Time Capsule than it would be to keep wiping a Windows box over and over. Is it possible to use either of the Windows virtualization apps to present a fresh Windows instance each time? Like every time she goes to use it, it's back to an initial image that is set up just for her work and anything she does won't persist to the next time?

If it is possible, is it something that someone like me who has no experience with either application could set up? I understand she'd have to buy a Windows license but that shouldn't be an issue.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

I was already running the newest version but manually deleting the plugin and then reinstalling it worked. I guess there might have been remnants somehow of the old one?

Or the plugin does some housekeeping when it first starts up.. either way glad it worked. Two middle fingers up to MS for not documenting anything about the plugin.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

LastInLine posted:

I've got a situation that I could use a little help with, hopefully someone here has had a similar problem.

I've got a friend whose wife works from home. She VPNs into a government site to do something with medical records I believe. The thing is that she fucks up a computer just by touching it. She has an old Windows XP box that she uses and of course with security support ending soon for that there's no way she should continue using it. She's hosed it up so badly so many times that she ended up buying a second dirt-cheap WinXP box just so she can switch with a KVM to her personal machine and back since the work PC is completely unusable for anything but the VPN.

Since I'm going to be "supporting" her breaking things constantly I was going to recommend a Mac Mini to replace her PC and I was thinking that if there was a way to use either Parallels or VMWare Fusion to run her VPN software it would keep her problems confined. I figure it's a lot less work to fix a Mac with a Time Capsule than it would be to keep wiping a Windows box over and over. Is it possible to use either of the Windows virtualization apps to present a fresh Windows instance each time? Like every time she goes to use it, it's back to an initial image that is set up just for her work and anything she does won't persist to the next time?

If it is possible, is it something that someone like me who has no experience with either application could set up? I understand she'd have to buy a Windows license but that shouldn't be an issue.

If you really want none of her changes to last then set up Windows + Deepfreeze, with her "my docs' folder or such being on an unfrozen partition. She won't be able to save bookmarks or such but at least she can save files to the unfrozen folders. But any other change she makes elsewhere will just require a restart to reset.

This is the standard for things like student computer labs at schools, where kids are actively trying to gently caress with computers.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

You want a virtual machine for this application. VirtualBox is free and good is cost is an issue. Set it up with VPN and whatnot, take a snapshot, and then show her how to roll it back to the good snapshot when it breaks.

Also get her a Mac, they're far harder for an end user to break (sounds like she'll find a way), give her AdBlock or an equivalent for her favorite browser. Then set up Time Capsule for when she breaks the Mac and CrashPlan or DropBox to get her data offsite.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

mllaneza posted:

You want a virtual machine for this application. VirtualBox is free and good is cost is an issue. Set it up with VPN and whatnot, take a snapshot, and then show her how to roll it back to the good snapshot when it breaks.

Also get her a Mac, they're far harder for an end user to break (sounds like she'll find a way), give her AdBlock or an equivalent for her favorite browser. Then set up Time Capsule for when she breaks the Mac and CrashPlan or DropBox to get her data offsite.
That's almost exactly what I was thinking. I've moved her teenage son to a MBP and that's working great for him (no support requests in over a year!) and she definitely needs to be using a Mac since that's what I have and can support (I've only used Windows Vista/7/8 in very short bursts and know next to nothing about them).

Looking at VirtualBox, it seems like I can do what I want. And I'm guessing I could simply have her open up the snapshot every day. For data backup and recovery I don't think that's going to be much of an issue with a Time Capsule and as for adblock and she's been using that for years and still manages to screw things up.

I think this is going to work out great, thanks a lot. You know, every time I've had a Mac question I've come in here and get the answer I need right away. There are a lot of great things I've experienced since moving to OS X, but one thing I didn't expect is a wonderful community. I appreciate all the help I've received in my transition and look forward to being able to offer the same for others as I learn more. Thanks. :)

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Anyone have experience with the App Store not letting you purchase apps and then being buggy about downloading them? I had to spend literally a solid week trying to purchase Wargame: European Escalation and X3 on the app store and every time I got the message that the App Store is not processing credit card purchases at this time. Other apps would work perfectly, but those two specifically gave me hell. Eventually I was able to get them purchased, but now every time I try to download them I get errors saying "Please try downloading from the Purchased tab". That's exactly what I'm doing, loving thing won't download. I eventually was able to get Wargame downloaded and it runs fine, but X3 is still stuck, and now I'm getting the same problem with the Xcode update.

Maybe 1 time out of 200 when I try, it will start downloading but eventually fail after around 800mb to a gig for some reason (internet drops out, power goes out, it's having a bad day, etc.) and start the "Try downloading from Purchased" cycle all over again.

Any solutions?

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
While we're on the topic of bitching about the App Store, why the hell didn't they pull a concept from the iOS app store and allow you to update your apps without having to put in your freaking AppleID password every single time? Sometimes I'm just baffled by how these things happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Into The Mild
Mar 4, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

While we're on the topic of bitching about the App Store, why the hell didn't they pull a concept from the iOS app store and allow you to update your apps without having to put in your freaking AppleID password every single time? Sometimes I'm just baffled by how these things happen.

I think that has more to do with local user permissions than anything else.