Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
Just started a new job at one of those places using a bunch of sheer WTF legacy stuff and I'm running into weird config issues. Our entire app resides in one HUGEASS Portal project running on Tomcat 7. Tomcat's catalina.properties file has our database user and password sitting there in plaintext.

I'm developing a one-off app that'll be triggered from Quartz and doesn't have jack poo poo to do with Tomcat, totally separate. However, the higher ups want me to use that catalina.properties user/pass from my separate app for db connection so we only have one instance of the horribly insecure plaintext user/pass. What's the best way to go about referencing that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

MrTheDevious posted:

so we only have one instance of the horribly insecure plaintext user/pass
This kind of stipulation makes sense if the file's permissions are such that only Tomcat can read the file. You wouldn't want a copy because then you have another set of permissions to manage. Not saying it's the right solution to authorizing database access, but if it's firewalled and the file is permissioned correctly, it could be worse...?

As for loading from the file:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/333363/loading-a-properties-file-from-java-package

Standard caveats for permissions apply. Assumes the file is on the same machine.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

MrTheDevious posted:

Just started a new job at one of those places using a bunch of sheer WTF legacy stuff and I'm running into weird config issues. Our entire app resides in one HUGEASS Portal project running on Tomcat 7. Tomcat's catalina.properties file has our database user and password sitting there in plaintext.

I'm developing a one-off app that'll be triggered from Quartz and doesn't have jack poo poo to do with Tomcat, totally separate. However, the higher ups want me to use that catalina.properties user/pass from my separate app for db connection so we only have one instance of the horribly insecure plaintext user/pass. What's the best way to go about referencing that?

How would you store the database credentials? I would love to see another idea (properties file, datasource file, whatever other configuration file). I'm asking because I had few years back a security guy saying the same thing that the database credentials were stored in the jboss datasource file on the server in plain text (only the _jboss user could read it, but ... it was there). His idea was to split the password up in at least 5 pieces and encrypt them all. I personally think that's overkill, but I'm open to any ideas that one may have on how to improve that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Most things that a non-security-person would think of trying fall under easily-defeated obfuscation and not actual security.

Ultimately you have to decide: if you reboot the server, can it bring itself up on its own? If so, it's going to need access to its own credentials, which means that if an attacker compromises the server they will have access to those credentials too. The best you're going to achieve is requiring the attacker to completely compromise the server (instead of just getting filesystem read access or whatever) - for example you could encrypt the password file with a key stored in a hardware TPM.

If we're talking really high-value credentials, and it's okay for the server to require manual intervention to bring it up, you can store the credentials externally (for example on a smart card), have the sysadmin use them to authenticate the machine when it starts up, and from that point use a short-lived authentication token instead of the actual credentials to authenticate with any remote service.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

rhag posted:

His idea was to split the password up in at least 5 pieces and encrypt them all. I personally think that's overkill, but I'm open to any ideas that one may have on how to improve that.

What's the point of splitting it up? I'm emphatically not a "security guy", but my gut tells me this guy wasn't either. I mean...if it's encrypted it's encrypted, the "5 pieces and encrypt it" sounds like technobabble off of CSI.

But then again, maybe (probably) I'm an idiot.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Got an Apache CXF WebClient question. No response on the cxf-users list for a couple days so I thought I'd try here.

Basically, I need to be able to dynamically specify the order of XML elements at runtime. XmlType.propOrder works great for compile time, not for runtime though. I was directed towards the Transformation Feature and outDropElements/outAppendElements. It sounds like it will accomplish what I need to do, I can't for the life of me figure out how to get it to work though.

Here's what I'm starting with:
code:
<Container xmlns="http://something">
  <Parent>
    <Child1>Some Value</Child1>
    <Child2>Another Value</Child2>
  </Parent>
</Container>
Here's what I want to end up with:
code:
  <Parent>
    <Child1>Some Value</Child1>
  </Parent>
</Container>
So I tried transformOutInterceptor.setOutDropElements(Collections.singletonList("{http://something}Child1")) and got:
code:
  <Parent>
    Some Value
  </Parent>
</Container>
Or the "deep drop" mentioned on that link, transformOutInterceptor.setOutTransformElements(Collections.singletonMap("{http://something}Child1", "")) which gives me:
code:
  <Parent/>
</Container>
Any ideas?

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

rhag posted:

How would you store the database credentials? I would love to see another idea (properties file, datasource file, whatever other configuration file). I'm asking because I had few years back a security guy saying the same thing that the database credentials were stored in the jboss datasource file on the server in plain text (only the _jboss user could read it, but ... it was there). His idea was to split the password up in at least 5 pieces and encrypt them all. I personally think that's overkill, but I'm open to any ideas that one may have on how to improve that.

I don't know about Tomcat but JBoss has a utility for encrypting DB passwords and creating a hash.

The tomcat docs say the following

quote:

If using digested passwords with DIGEST authentication, the cleartext used to generate the digest is different. In the examples above {cleartext-password} must be replaced with {username}:{realm}:{cleartext-password}. For example, in a development environment this might take the form testUser:localhost:8080:testPassword.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
What does JBoss use for a encryption key and does it allow you to reboot the server without prompting for a password?

Fly
Nov 3, 2002

moral compass
Is this database holding anything related to health records or financial data? (If so, I would reconsider storing the passwords at all and just requiring them to be entered when the application is restarted.)

If the data is not important, and you really want to avoid typing the password, are you using a database user who has only the necessary permissions? E.g., the database user used by the application should not have the ability to change the schema or change security settings. It should be able to read, insert, delete and update only the tables it needs.

Fly fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 29, 2013

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Hard NOP Life posted:

What does JBoss use for a encryption key and does it allow you to reboot the server without prompting for a password?

JBoss has a utility that encrypts the key

quote:

15.1.1. Encrypt the data source password

The data source password is encrypted using the SecureIdentityLoginModule main method by passing in the clear text password. The SecureIdentityLoginModule is provided by jbosssx.jar.

Procedure 15.2. Encrypt a datasource password

This procedure is for JBoss Enterprise Application Platform versions 5.1 and later

Change directory to the jboss-as directory
Linux command

java -cp client/jboss-logging-spi.jar:lib/jbosssx.jar org.jboss.resource.security.SecureIdentityLoginModule PASSWORD
Windows command:

java -cp client\jboss-logging-spi.jar;lib\jbosssx.jar org.jboss.resource.security.SecureIdentityLoginModule PASSWORD
Result:

The command will return an encrypted password.

http://docs.jboss.org/jbosssecurity/docs/6.0/security_guide/html/Encrypting_Data_Source_Passwords.html

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

If this is the code needed to decrypt the password (LGPL code, avert your eyes if you're not allowed to look at LGPL code):

Java code:
private static char[] decode(String secret)
      throws NoSuchPaddingException, NoSuchAlgorithmException,
      InvalidKeyException, BadPaddingException, IllegalBlockSizeException
   {
      byte[] kbytes = "jaas is the way".getBytes();
      SecretKeySpec key = new SecretKeySpec(kbytes, "Blowfish");

BigInteger n = new BigInteger(secret, 16);
      byte[] encoding = n.toByteArray();

Cipher cipher = Cipher.getInstance("Blowfish");
      cipher.init(Cipher.DECRYPT_MODE, key);
      byte[] decode = cipher.doFinal(encoding);
      return new String(decode).toCharArray();
   }
Would that be more secure or less secure than using just plaintext?

(Less secure would be if it tricks a reasonable person into thinking it offers fundamentally better security than mere plaintext so that said person would use it in a place where they wouldn't use plaintext.)

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's extra thoughtful that they make it a private static method, with the key hard coded in it. That way you can't even easily extend it and provide your own key. Of course, extending it and providing your own key would only slow down an attacker a little bit. If they had disk access anyway, they could find the corresponding implementation class, jad it, and look for likely candidates.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

My previous post probably read like I was ragging on TheresaJayne, but it wasn't my intention. I don't know much about security, but what I know is that security is hard. There may well be good reasons and proper places for using such simple encryptions. I'd just be wary of anything that smells like security by obscurity, because with my knowledge the first person being obscured is me myself.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

My previous post probably read like I was ragging on TheresaJayne, but it wasn't my intention. I don't know much about security, but what I know is that security is hard. There may well be good reasons and proper places for using such simple encryptions. I'd just be wary of anything that smells like security by obscurity, because with my knowledge the first person being obscured is me myself.

I was just raising the issue, I had to look at it for our production systems,
the idea is rather than having in the JBoss config files like this

code:
<datasources>
   <local-tx-datasource>
      <jndi-name>DefaultDS</jndi-name>
      <connection-url>jdbc:hsqldb:${jboss.server.data.dir}${/}hypersonic${/}localDB</connection-url>
      <driver-class>org.hsqldb.jdbcDriver</driver-class>

<!-- The login and password -->
      <user-name>sa</user-name>
      <password>letmein</password>

</datasources>

you encrypt the password using the parameters and then put the following

code:
<application-policy name = "EncryptedHsqlDbRealm">
       <authentication>
          <login-module code = "org.jboss.resource.security.JaasSecurityDomainIdentityLoginModule"
          flag = "required">
             <module-option name = "username">sa</module-option>
             <module-option name = "password">E5gtGMKcXPP</module-option>
             <module-option name = "managedConnectionFactoryName">jboss.jca:service=LocalTxCM,name=DefaultDS</module-option>
             <module-option name = "jaasSecurityDomain">jboss.security:service=JaasSecurityDomain,domain=ServerMasterPassword</module-option>
          </login-module>
       </authentication>
    </application-policy>

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

I'm trying to create a zip file on the fly containing a bunch of csv files to return from a servlet and its confusing as hell with writers and readers and streams. A little guidance would be great. Here are chunks of code I have that somehow need to work together:

code:
ZipOutputStream zip = new ZipOutputStream(outputStream); // output stream coming from httpResponse, thats all fine

// using the openCSV library to create the csv file, if any others are easier please let me know
CSVWriter writer = new CSVWriter(Writer?); // what writer do I use? I don't want to write to a file
writer.writeNext(entries); //assume i get these values somewhere
writer.close();

// at this point should I have the csv file in memory somewhere? and then try to copy it into the zip file?

int length;
byte[] buffer = new byte[1024 * 32];	
zip.putNextEntry(new ZipEntry(getClass() + ".csv"));

// the 'in' doesn't exist yet - where am I getting the input stream from?
while((length = in.read(buffer)) != -1)
	zip.write(buffer, 0, length);

zip.closeEntry();
zip.flush();

Krull
Sep 11, 2008
Hey guys, sorry if this question has been answered a million times but are there any good bucks for transitioning from beginner java to more advanced subjects? I'm feeling kind of lost on what to pick up next after finishing Head First Java.

Krull fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 3, 2013

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

Krull posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this question has been answered a million times but are there any good bucks for transitioning from beginner java to more advanced subjects. I'm feeling kind of lost on what to pick up next after finishing Head First Java.

Just try doing a project. Then learn what you need to complete that project.

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Krull posted:

Hey guys, sorry if this question has been answered a million times but are there any good bucks for transitioning from beginner java to more advanced subjects. I'm feeling kind of lost on what to pick up next after finishing Head First Java.

The generic answer is the best, read/do the official Java tutorials or do a project of some sort. When you run into a roadblock google it, someone one stackoverflow has probably asked it before or just ask here.

What are you looking to do with Java?

mister_gosh
May 24, 2002

I have mature Swing app that I know what to convert to dockable/undockable (attachable/detachable) panels. I'm not finding much in the Java API aside from 3rd party/proprietary libraries. Can anyone point me to resources for creating these (either tutorials, libraries, or something)?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

FateFree posted:

I'm trying to create a zip file on the fly containing a bunch of csv files to return from a servlet and its confusing as hell with writers and readers and streams. A little guidance would be great. Here are chunks of code I have that somehow need to work together:

code:
ZipOutputStream zip = new ZipOutputStream(outputStream); // output stream coming from httpResponse, thats all fine

// using the openCSV library to create the csv file, if any others are easier please let me know
CSVWriter writer = new CSVWriter(Writer?); // what writer do I use? I don't want to write to a file
writer.writeNext(entries); //assume i get these values somewhere
writer.close();

// at this point should I have the csv file in memory somewhere? and then try to copy it into the zip file?

int length;
byte[] buffer = new byte[1024 * 32];	
zip.putNextEntry(new ZipEntry(getClass() + ".csv"));

// the 'in' doesn't exist yet - where am I getting the input stream from?
while((length = in.read(buffer)) != -1)
	zip.write(buffer, 0, length);

zip.closeEntry();
zip.flush();

To add files to a zip file in java is relatively easy, take a look at this example: http://www.mkyong.com/java/how-to-compress-files-in-zip-format/ (first link in google).
Essentially, you just need to add ZipEntries to a ZipOutputStream and then just write to the stream. An entry corresponds with a file in the zip. When done writing the file, close the entry, make a new one and keep on writing. When fully done, close the output stream.

Now, about where do you get the data: As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong here), CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. That is, a CSV file is a bunch of lines where elements are being separated by a comma.
code:
value1, value2, value3, value4
value5, value6, value7, value8
I don't really understand why one would need to use a library but anyway. From the looks of it, CSVWriter accepts a writer as an argument on the constructor. You can pass it a StringWriter as the writer to write to, and then just call stringWriter.toString() to get the data it wrote. The buffer will become something like
code:
buffer = stringWriter.toString().getBytes()

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

rhag posted:

Now, about where do you get the data: As far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong here), CSV stands for Comma Separated Values. That is, a CSV file is a bunch of lines where elements are being separated by a comma.
code:
value1, value2, value3, value4
value5, value6, value7, value8
I don't really understand why one would need to use a library but anyway.

Just FYI, in this case you typically use a library because otherwise all you're essentially doing is writing your own library that's more ad-hoc and lovely. Either that or you're baking your output encoding directly into the logic that generates those values, which is an even worse idea.

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

rhag posted:

I don't really understand why one would need to use a library but anyway. From the looks of it, CSVWriter accepts a writer as an argument on the constructor. You can pass it a StringWriter as the writer to write to, and then just call stringWriter.toString() to get the data it wrote. The buffer will become something like
code:
buffer = stringWriter.toString().getBytes()

Thanks for the info, I actually figured out a way to do it without the string writer, and just use the output stream for the zip directly:

code:
CSVWriter writer = new CSVWriter(new OutputStreamWriter(zos);
I used a library for the csv because i didn't want to worry about escaping commas and quotes and whatever else is standard for a csv file.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
I'm looking for something to administer processes distributed across servers. I want to add, remove, start, stop, and configure the processes from a central location. The processes themselves are implemented in Java (or something else which interfaces through Java), but some other communication mechanism like web services would also be fine. Mainly I want a nice UI (web based or thick client) which does all this administration without much integration work on my part. Any recommendations?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sedro posted:

I'm looking for something to administer processes distributed across servers. I want to add, remove, start, stop, and configure the processes from a central location. The processes themselves are implemented in Java (or something else which interfaces through Java), but some other communication mechanism like web services would also be fine. Mainly I want a nice UI (web based or thick client) which does all this administration without much integration work on my part. Any recommendations?

That would be JMX, it's built into java's binary jconsole, so there's your UI (not really that nice, but whatever). It can connect to remote or local servers running on specified ports, and it's not much work to get it integrated.

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008

baquerd posted:

That would be JMX, it's built into java's binary jconsole, so there's your UI (not really that nice, but whatever). It can connect to remote or local servers running on specified ports, and it's not much work to get it integrated.
I was under the impression that it could connect to running processes but couldn't start or stop them. (I am using a loose definition of "process" here).

OSGi is also an option but it's fairly intrusive to integrate and the web UIs I've seen (Felix, Karaf) are not all that good.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sedro posted:

I was under the impression that it could connect to running processes but couldn't start or stop them. (I am using a loose definition of "process" here).

It's a really simple workaround to have a launcher process that's responsible for starting/stopping the other processes and that supports JMX.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Fly posted:

Is this database holding anything related to health records or financial data? (If so, I would reconsider storing the passwords at all and just requiring them to be entered when the application is restarted.)

Yes, some of both, which is why I brought the subject up :( Apparently nobody but me is concerned though, as I was told to just not worry about it at all. We manage every server ourselves, so requiring runtime entry manually instead of having plaintext laying around everywhere seems like a nobrainer, but it's not gonna happen :sigh:

Sang-
Nov 2, 2007

Sedro posted:

Akka has some nice stuff for this.

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
Is there a Java equivalent of Pygame? Pygame is an absolute dream to work with because of how straightforward it is to use for graphics, but Python is too slow for my project.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I've had good experiences working with Slick2D, but last I checked their site was down, and it might not be easy to get into without its Javadocs.

EDIT: I'm unfamiliar with Pygame, but in terms of ease of use, Slick is very approachable.

Joda fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 12, 2013

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006
What is a good way to obtain value of html tags which are stored as a String in java. Should I convert the html String into xml dom and parse it that way?

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe

DholmbladRU posted:

What is a good way to obtain value of html tags which are stored as a String in java. Should I convert the html String into xml dom and parse it that way?

Parsing HTML in java is best done with jsoup.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Joda posted:

I've had good experiences working with Slick2D, but last I checked their site was down, and it might not be easy to get into without its Javadocs.

It's all hosted here for now: http://slick.ninjacave.com/

DholmbladRU
May 4, 2006

Hard NOP Life posted:

Parsing HTML in java is best done with jsoup.

Thanks, I actually found that library yesterday after I posted. Seems to have what I need. Thanks!

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

Woodsy Owl posted:

Is there a Java equivalent of Pygame? Pygame is an absolute dream to work with because of how straightforward it is to use for graphics, but Python is too slow for my project.

I haven't used Pygame, but LibGDX is a great framework for Java.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Got another maven question. In my build I'm generating a jar from a wsdl using the maven-antrun-plugin. Is there a way to set this generated jar to be the main build artifact, rather than the jar that maven generated because I'm using <packaging>jar</packaging>?

I tried to use attach-artifact from build-helper-maven-plugin but it failed with "An attached artifact must have a different ID than its corresponding main artifact.". Not really sure what the correct way to be going about this is.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

Fun Shoe
Have you tried creating a separate project for the web services and then including it as a dependency in your main project?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Hard NOP Life posted:

Have you tried creating a separate project for the web services and then including it as a dependency in your main project?

The module that converts the wsdl to java is already a separate project with my intent being exactly that, to include it as a dependency in my main project. Just can't seem to figure out how to have it ignore the default jar and install/deploy the jar was generated by the ant task.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

If you already have a little bit of Ant you can always add more. Is there some slot where Maven has created its jar where you could add the contents from the Ant-built jar to the Maven-built jar? Working with jars using Ant is easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sedro
Dec 31, 2008
You can probably use the shade plugin to include that jar's contents in your maven packaged jar.