Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Bummey posted:

All of y'all hatin' on Phoenix Wright are straight up wrong, objectively. They are The Best games. There is nothing wrong with them.

If you cry like a babby because the text is slow or some clown laughs at you or a large French man wears a pink tutu and challenges your concept of masculinity then I don't know what to say. The fault is yours and yours alone.

Play Ace Attorney. Love it. Find a new joy in life. Or don't and be a terrible human being.

Everyone must play at least the first game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

bubbapook posted:

The one thing I'm still not very clear about is the interplay between toughness and weapon skill. The help text keeps it deliberately vague, but it'd be good to know more about the mechanics.

Assuming the mechanics are exactly the same as the board game, Weapon Skill of attacker vs. Weapon Skill of defender determines what number you need to roll on a die to hit. If your Weapon Skill is equal or a little lower, you hit on 4+, if it's a little higher you hit on 3+.

Damage is whatever the weapon says + attacker Strength - defender Toughness, so Toughness is usually better than Max Wounds unless it's a lot of Wounds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

duckfarts posted:

Man, whole lotta stuff just dumping on the store: KOTOR, Phoenix Wright, Warhammer Quest...

...and Magicka???

It seems like a Battlehearts game with Magicka's spellcasting system and a very cartoony look.

e: nevermind, it's been out, but it's currently freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

It's a really cool PC game, not sure I'd like it on iOS because input speed is super important. To their credit it looks like they simplified the inputs for iOS but I'm not sure it's good enough. I'll probably try it out tonight.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
Playing Warhammer Quest on hardcore is so much fun. Sure, it's bullshit when my guys die, but it does add a nice tension to your progress!

gently caress Waagh!, whatever the poo poo it is. Also gently caress Gork and Mork.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

God, I love this game! And I adore this GBA-quality music. :allears:

e: VVVV thanks for the new ringtone! :tipshat:

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 30, 2013

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

nutranurse posted:

Playing Warhammer Quest on hardcore is so much fun. Sure, it's bullshit when my guys die, but it does add a nice tension to your progress!

gently caress Waagh!, whatever the poo poo it is. Also gently caress Gork and Mork.

:spergin: WAAAGH!!! is the latent psychic field that all orks emit. The bigger the ork, the more WAAAGH they emit, the stronger they are, the bigger they are, the more command they have over other orks, the stronger they are, the bigger they are, and it goes in circles like this. WAAAGH also does weird poo poo like make red painted Ork vehicles go faster. Because they believe red makes vehicles go faster, it does. The kind of cobbled together poo poo heap weapons that orks use only work because of the WAAAGH, despite any mechanical or physical impossibilites, because the orks believe they will work. An ork gun will fall apart in the hands of a human or catastrophically explode, but that same weapon in the hands of an ork will work (mostly) flawlessly.

WAAAGH!!! owns. Orks own. Don't you dare talk poo poo about Gork and Mork. :toughguy:

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

God, I love this game! And I adore this GBA-quality music. :allears:

Phoenix's Steel Samurai ringtone has been my ringtone since the second I heard it and will probably never leave my phone. :colbert: I'm pretty sure my favorite running joke is the step ladder bit. Best games.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 30, 2013

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Welp, no KOTOR for me, I had to delete a bunch of stuff just to get Warhammer on. Should've bought the 32GB version of the IPad, oh well next time.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

nutranurse posted:

Once I finish I'll probably go through on hardcore again. Loving this game so far, but looking at the map and the progress indicators it feels like I'm getting close to done already and I'm just getting into level 4. I've also already gotten some masterwork rare weapons on my guys which makes them hilarious to play with. Deathblow combos clearing out entire rooms!

One thing I didn't see explained is the stats. Does toughness lower damage taken? How much toughness would wounds be worth?

Also ballistic skill, my marauder and iron breaker just leveled that up, but while my marauder can use bows, my iron breaker cannot.

Switched.on
Apr 25, 2008
Holy poo poo! Kotor! I've been meaning to replay it. I haven't played it since it's original release on my OG Xbox. What a good year for iOS games.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lorini posted:

Welp, no KOTOR for me, I had to delete a bunch of stuff just to get Warhammer on. Should've bought the 32GB version of the IPad, oh well next time.

Not to jump on your disappointment, but this is why I feel like people in the main iPad/iPhone thread always claiming that "all you need is 16gb, man. Save your money. Streaming is where it's at!" have exactly zero sense of anything beyond their "today".

poo poo gets better. And by getting better, poo poo gets bigger.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the Poker recommendations a couple pages ago - I'm going to try both out!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

Not to jump on your disappointment, but this is why I feel like people in the main iPad/iPhone thread always claiming that "all you need is 16gb, man. Save your money. Streaming is where it's at!" have exactly zero sense of anything beyond their "today".
This hasn't really been the case (especially in the iPad thread) for some time now. 32GB has become the more common recommendation in the iPad thread.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

This hasn't really been the case (especially in the iPad thread) for some time now. 32GB has become the more common recommendation in the iPad thread.

Yes, this is true. I'm happy to see that trend dying down. People need to realize that, (at the very least, if you're a fanatic,) the least amount of time you're stuck with your decision is about a year...

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Bummey posted:

:spergin: WAAAGH!!! is the latent psychic field that all orks emit. The bigger the ork, the more WAAAGH they emit, the stronger they are, the bigger they are, the more command they have over other orks, the stronger they are, the bigger they are, and it goes in circles like this. WAAAGH also does weird poo poo like make red painted Ork vehicles go faster. Because they believe red makes vehicles go faster, it does. The kind of cobbled together poo poo heap weapons that orks use only work because of the WAAAGH, despite any mechanical or physical impossibilites, because the orks believe they will work. An ork gun will fall apart in the hands of a human or catastrophically explode, but that same weapon in the hands of an ork will work (mostly) flawlessly.
To follow up on this, one of my favorite parts of what little I know of Warhammer, is that not only do ork guns fall apart in the hands of non-orks, but they're not even guns at all, in any real sense of the word, outside of ork hands. Imagine an ugly green dude shooting at you, and after you kill him, you go over and see that somehow he was firing was in fact a little girl's pencil case full of nails taped to a metal ruler.

Wanna play dat Warhammer: Quest, but have to work through my backlog first.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012
Missed out on a month of iOS stuff since my iPhone got stolen, but I finally get to replace it on June 3rd! Looks like the App Store is going strong at the moment. Any impressions for Warhammer Quest on iPhone 4S/5? I would prefer a 40K game, but I will take what I can get.

Also there seems to have been a load of good iPad exclusives recently. Ever closer to buying one...

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

edit:^^^Slitherine is doing a 40k iOS game.

edit2: Downside to Slitherine doing it is that it's gonna cost an arm and a leg and looks like they're opting for PBEM multiplayer as opposed to anything modern.

Had a fun moment in my last quest in Warhammer Quest. I get to the final room where the Night Goblin Shaman I'm supposed to kill is chilling, but it's the shaman (and several of his Night Goblin friends) who wreck me. First things first some bowmen score lucky hits and kill my warrior-priest guy, then some spearmen gank my Trollslayer, and my Elven archer-lady gets WAAAGH'd or something to death by the Shaman and his hadoken First of Gork (or is it Mork?).

The last guy I have left is some Dwarven fighter-type guy and he's wounded, but upon seeing the enemies he roided the gently caress out, got +5 attacks, and drank some strong booze to heal himself. Over the following turns none of these goblins can hit me, but Yorri Stone-Breaker sure as gently caress can and just rains down deathblows on the enemies. All this for a stupid Grey Wizard's robe.

This game is fun, guys, and worth the high price of entry. :allears:

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 30, 2013

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

nomapple posted:

Missed out on a month of iOS stuff since my iPhone got stolen, but I finally get to replace it on June 3rd! Looks like the App Store is going strong at the moment. Any impressions for Warhammer Quest on iPhone 4S/5? I would prefer a 40K game, but I will take what I can get.

Also there seems to have been a load of good iPad exclusives recently. Ever closer to buying one...

Well if it helps, there's an adaptation of Space Hulk coming to ios sometime this year.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

nutranurse posted:

Had a fun moment in my last quest in Warhammer Quest. I get to the final room where the Night Goblin Shaman I'm supposed to kill is chilling, but it's the shaman (and several of his Night Goblin friends) who wreck me. First things first some bowmen score lucky hits and kill my warrior-priest guy, then some spearmen gank my Trollslayer, and my Elven archer-lady gets WAAAGH'd or something to death by the Shaman and his hadoken First of Gork (or is it Mork?).

The last guy I have left is some Dwarven fighter-type guy and he's wounded, but upon seeing the enemies he roided the gently caress out, got +5 attacks, and drank some strong booze to heal himself. Over the following turns none of these goblins can hit me, but Yorri Stone-Breaker sure as gently caress can and just rains down deathblows on the enemies. All this for a stupid Grey Wizard's robe.

This game is fun, guys, and worth the high price of entry. :allears:

Lemme guess, it doesn't run at all without iOS 6.x.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Merchant of the Stars is cool, but as some people mentioned earlier, it really needs a "buy and scrap all" button. Or maybe a "buy and scrap these" button where you just tap the ones you want to scrap.

Also, I don't know how important it is, but it seems really hard to outfit people with their preferred/effective weapons. Most of the time they don't come up and if they do, they're usually worse than what I've already given them.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

zoux posted:

Lemme guess, it doesn't run at all without iOS 6.x.

Says it needs iOS 6.0 or above!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flame112 posted:

Merchant of the Stars is cool, but as some people mentioned earlier, it really needs a "buy and scrap all" button. Or maybe a "buy and scrap these" button where you just tap the ones you want to scrap.

Also, I don't know how important it is, but it seems really hard to outfit people with their preferred/effective weapons. Most of the time they don't come up and if they do, they're usually worse than what I've already given them.

It's quite important, it's the main way to improve the quality of loot heroes bring in. Also, the game perhaps doesn't make this as clear as it could, but you can sell a hero an item that matches a weakness even if it's weaker than his current equipment. So it can be a good tradeoff if it's not too much of a regression in power.

(I just saw that this is not the case for the favored items; this will probably be added in a patch.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Stop oppressing my people! This is class warfare!

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
How do I know how much of an effect a favored/weakness weapon will have then? Is it better to give a guy a 50 power lance than a 100 power sword (assuming he likes lances)? I guess I just want some numbers.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

nutranurse posted:

edit2: Downside to Slitherine doing it is that it's gonna cost an arm and a leg and looks like they're opting for PBEM multiplayer as opposed to anything modern.

Their PBEM++ system is just asynchronous multiplayer. It's the same as what Battle Academy uses, and it works great. I get where they're coming from, but naming it "PBEM++" was probably a mistake.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Paradoxish posted:

Their PBEM++ system is just asynchronous multiplayer. It's the same as what Battle Academy uses, and it works great. I get where they're coming from, but naming it "PBEM++" was probably a mistake.

Oh, my mistake then!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Flame112 posted:

How do I know how much of an effect a favored/weakness weapon will have then? Is it better to give a guy a 50 power lance than a 100 power sword (assuming he likes lances)? I guess I just want some numbers.

They do two separate things. A favored item delivers one extra piece of loot per run (so 6 with one favored and 7 with both favored). A high-powered item scales up the drop table so that each of those 5/6/7 items has a chance to be more powerful/valuable. A hero with starting equipment will tend to bring back stuff with power below 50% of his dungeon power rating; the best drops from a fully kitted out hero will be around 110% of the power rating.

In your example, the sword will most likely bring in better loot over time, but only because the numbers are so extreme. If the favored item had power 50 and the other had power 60 it's (deliberately) a judgement call.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 30, 2013

theOctagon
Apr 22, 2005

I bet you are wondering what I call my penis... it's the

nutranurse posted:

40k and space hulk all my nerd fantasies are coming true.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Merchant of the Stars is fun, but why oh why is the back button right next to the dismiss button (ie the only button that I can't undo if I accidentally press it).

Also, the help button being close to the back button (and both of them being too small) isn't great design for my fat fingers. Move them away from dismiss, double the size of the back button, and it'll help a lot. That plus scrap all would make my day.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
Merchant of the Stars is pretty fun! Now I'm just trying to figure out exactly how much honing improves the redemption price, and what a good price for scrap is. High power items give you increasingly expensive scrap so I try to avoid those. It might be a good idea to have a hero whose equipment isn't all that good to sell you scrap fodder.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Just a word of warning to anyone getting KOTOR (which should probably be everyone that's able) although it says it requires just under 2GB of HD space I had to free up nearer to 4.5GB to get it to download.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sad lions posted:

I can confirm the UK site has Warhammer Quest at least:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/warhammer-quest/id573516833?mt=8

E: Beaten by a hair but there's the link

Three loving dollars for each additional character? Warrior Priest and Slayer better be face wrecking gods if each costs almost as much as the entire game. I was planning on grabbing both when I get the game because I figured they'd be $0.99 since the game's $4.99, but apparently SquareEnix isn't alone in lovely pricing schemes. :catstare:

Still looks interesting but I'll probably hold off on getting it for now and play some PW.

Shwqa posted:

Make sure if you a playing for the first time that you pick the soldier class. I was bitching about this in another thread, but the other classes are completely useless. Other team members can do the out of combat stuff, so if your main character sucks at combat then you lose quest and each battle is a long boring drag. Also try not to level up too much on the first planet, that will also gimp your character.

This was the worst part about my first time playing the game. I wanted to do everything I could on the planet and gained something like 5-6 levels more than necessary as a result. My 2nd time playing I just avoided stuff to stay as low a level as possible because of how much stronger you can get otherwise. It was a really awful part of the game and I wish they'd just stuck in a level cap there or something.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

chami posted:

Merchant of the Stars is pretty fun! Now I'm just trying to figure out exactly how much honing improves the redemption price, and what a good price for scrap is. High power items give you increasingly expensive scrap so I try to avoid those. It might be a good idea to have a hero whose equipment isn't all that good to sell you scrap fodder.

You should buy scrap from the lowest-level heroes that frequent your shop and use it on the highest-power items the high-level heroes dredge up, because item price scales with the square of item power. It's for this same reason that your profit margin improves less from the first honing than than from subsequent honings, so fully hone items before redeeming them.

e: in fact, you can actually make a lot of money from honing the high-power, low-rarity items the powerful heroes bring in, because they require so few materials to hone. In short, item power is the biggest consideration when it comes to deciding what to hone and what to scrap.

A HUNGRY MOUTH fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 30, 2013

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Evil Fluffy posted:

Three loving dollars for each additional character? Warrior Priest and Slayer better be face wrecking gods if each costs almost as much as the entire game. I was planning on grabbing both when I get the game because I figured they'd be $0.99 since the game's $4.99, but apparently SquareEnix isn't alone in lovely pricing schemes. :catstare:

The Slayer is an awesome godsend and gives you a great, ape-poo poo crazy dwarf who specializes in two handed weapons and bathing in gore. He does this because he has forever shamed himself and seeks to die (gloriously).

Warrior Priest is... a bit more nuanced. He's the guy who will be throwing buffs on all your dudes, and these buffs are great—when they work. Keeping in with the randomization theme for magic in this game, your priest's spells have either Weak favor or Strong favor with the fickle gently caress he worships. You can cast 1 spell per turn (so far at least, my guy's level 2) and just who and how many party members that spell effects is also random. When it works it's great! When it doesn't work it sucks. Outside of his spells the Warrior Priest is something of a glass-cannon. The fucker hits hard with his two-handed warhammer, but he has the least amount of wounds/toughness of all the guys you can get.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
Merchant to the Stars dudes: I bought the $30k expanded stone repository and it expanded my wood repository instead.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Phoenix Wright HD is really ugly and I'd have vastly preferred if they had just upscaled the GBA graphics.

But it's still PW and it still owns and it's a great deal for three games.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Phoenix Wright and KotOR on the same day. How fantastically marvellous and I've never spent so much money on apps before I need to save money god

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE posted:

Thanks for the Poker recommendations a couple pages ago - I'm going to try both out!

Give Theta Poker a look as well -- it's not much graphically, but probably the best playing one in terms of opponent AI that I've seen.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Anime_Otaku posted:

Just a word of warning to anyone getting KOTOR (which should probably be everyone that's able) although it says it requires just under 2GB of HD space I had to free up nearer to 4.5GB to get it to download.

Yeah, it downloads the whole thing in compressed form, then unpacks it to more empty space, then the compressed form gets deleted. So it only takes up 2gb, but you need the extra space to download/install.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Move all that poo poo out of your photo stream to clear up space on your phone, too. I didn't know that poo poo was stored locally and it was taking up a TON of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Evil Fluffy posted:

Games Workshop has always been the EA of SquareEnixes - but yeah, I bailed on buying the base game once I saw the DLC pricing scheme.

• Locked thread