Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Vegastar posted:

Could you explain these concepts a little more, then? So far, the majority of what I know is from using that little comic and a little real-world experimentation doing a GBC frontlight. If there are more important things newbies should know, I'd love to hear about it.

Maybe I'm nuts but flux seems to make solder flow where you want it to way easier. For example, if you are going to put solder on a wire, I find it a pain to get it to stick. Eventually it will, but it's a pain. If I dip it in some flux first, the solder flows freely right there. It's great.

Midnight Raider posted:

I was in no position to do the Summer Swap this year, sadly, but maybe when Christmas rolls around I'll be ready to rock. :tfrxmas:

Anyway, a few pages back there was some discussion on original X-Box modchips(I suppose these days I need to avoid calling it the X-Box 1 so people don't get it mixed up with the new one, lousy naming scheme) and I was wondering if there's really a threat of modchips for older systems like that getting rare. I swear I recall someone saying something along those lines, and I'm kind of dreading it since I don't have the time/money/reason to deal with many at the moment, but I know I will actually want to someday down the line and I'd hate to have trouble actually finding the ones I'd need in a few years.

For what it's worth, I bought 2 Sega Saturn modchips because I am a loon and worry that "what is someone breaks into my home and steals my Saturn and there's no place to buy Saturn modchips any longer in 2036". I'm probably a bit nuts though because PS1 modchips are still easily purchasable.

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Do we have a place/thread for sharing our blogs? I've got a retro/gaming blog that I'd enjoy sharing with the group if it's acceptable to do so.

Current blog projects: Forcing myself to play Super Metroid all the way through, and playing retro games at systematic random for 20 minutes (timed) and writing about it.

Dude definitely share it here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tusen Takk posted:

Just got a beautiful original Xbox from a thrift shop for $13 :allears:. I was trying to fix my friends Xbox with Christmas light errors from the DVD drive being failed so this works out perfectly.

Are there even any good games for the original Xbox except for KOTOR I & II? I've never really been interested in Microsoft consoles because my computer can run all the games they come out with since they're almost always released on PC as well.

Xbox had a few exclusives like Crimson Skies, Breakdown, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Conker Reloaded, and Metal Wolf Chaos if you want to get fancy.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Jet Set Radio Future is a must have and also dirt cheap.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Jet Set Radio Future is the only reason I own an original Xbox. The first two Halo games are also worth playing.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Tusen Takk posted:

Just got a beautiful original Xbox from a thrift shop for $13 :allears:. I was trying to fix my friends Xbox with Christmas light errors from the DVD drive being failed so this works out perfectly.

Are there even any good games for the original Xbox except for KOTOR I & II? I've never really been interested in Microsoft consoles because my computer can run all the games they come out with since they're almost always released on PC as well.

Oh, let's see:

Conker's Bad Fur Day: Reloaded
Stubbs the Zombie
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Burnout 3: Takedown
Splinter Cell 1-3
Jet Set Radio Future
ESPN NFL 2K5
NHL Hitz 20-03
Jade Empire (if you liked KOTOR)
Black
Steel Battalion (:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:)

I gotta look at my shelf later. I'll edit this post then and add more.

Lord Dudeguy fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 30, 2013

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."
No mention of Phantom Dust. What's the gently caress is wrong with you guys!?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Vegastar posted:

Could you explain these concepts a little more, then? So far, the majority of what I know is from using that little comic and a little real-world experimentation doing a GBC frontlight. If there are more important things newbies should know, I'd love to hear about it.

Sure.

Flux - flux is an acidic compound that is used to facilitate in the bonding of solder to components. By using flux on a contact point and lead this helps the solder "flow" so that you create a seam/bead that has better contact with both portions of what you are soldering. With electronics you'll usually notice that your solder will be called 'rosin-core solder' which is solder that has a bit of flux in the middle of it. You can actually use anything acidic for flux like for example in the old days of stained glass they would use lemon juice as flux. Rosin-core can help with soldering but if you want the easiest work with solder preparing the points before with a flux pen helps a great deal. You can also get flux in gel form that you can spread onto components/dip components in for tinning which is useful if you're doing a lot of wire work.

Tinning - tinning is the act of preparing a component/wire/spot to be bonded with solder. You will coat the point/wire/lead with a tiny bit of flux, heat the flux so that it becomes liquid form and then use some solder to create a small layer of solder on the lead/wire/spot. This helps facilitate the bonding of the solder once you are actually connecting the point. This is a must-do step if you're soldering wires to ICs as it is extremely painful otherwise.

You should also always tin the soldering tip before doing any work at all. Once the iron heats up, clean it on a sponge/copper ball and then coat it heavily in solder so that the entire tip is tinned. Then use the sponge/ball once more to clean off the excess solder. This helps spread the heat so you don't have an iron where only one point on the tip gets hot enough to actually do any work.

Edit: one thing I forgot to mention about tinning - if you're soldering a wire/ic/component to a pcb through a hole, do not tin the hole. The act of placing flux over the hole should suffice and the moment you put solder on the contact point it will flow over and end up sealing the hole which will make your life more painful. Also when soldering a wire to IC only apply flux to the IC. The tinned wire should have enough solder on it so that when the two points heat up the solder will flow from the wire to the IC leg to make a strong bond.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 30, 2013

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Steel Battalion (:retrogames::retrogames::retrogames:)

This goddamn owns as a party game. It's one of the few great equalizer games, wherein you don't have huge gaps of skill level and anyone can jump in, play, and have a blast. Other nominations include Densha De Go! (I got my controller yesterday but my wife bogarted the game for most of the evening), any 5+ player Bomberman game (Saturn Bomberman recommended for 10-player madness) and both Bushido Blade games (basically the only "fighting" game you can play in a party where some people don't normally game).

That reminds me, I actually had a "side of the road" salvage yesterday, found these ready to be thrown out on my way home:

Haven't tested them yet, the N64 stick isn't perfect but seems pretty good. If I can just figure out how to clean the brown cruft on the PS1 controller sticks they'll be in very nice shape. My controller/gamepad collection is getting kind of ridiculous now, I think I'm in the 40-50 range for number of controllers I have, excluding things like USB keyboards and mice.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Was Otogi a good Xbox game? I feel like it was.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Alright then I have to pull out of the exchange. I was hoping if I got an international Santee it would at least be in my hemisphere.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Just gonna say, when the Xbox came out, my roommate picked up Halo and Kabuki Warriors. If you want comedy, play Kabuki Warriors. It's by no means a good game though, but that's all we had after cruising through Halo co-op on legendary.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The Xbox has a ton of good games. I'd go as far as to say that it has a stronger overall library than the Gamecube. Oddworld: Munch's Oddyssey, Ninja Gaiden: Black, Crimson Skies, Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2, Jade Empire, Mechassault, Metal Wolf Chaos, Halo 1 and 2, a shitload of other exclusives that i'm not going to get into, and the best versions of multi-platform games barring Soulcalibur 2(that distinction goes to the Gamecube version). And that's all before you factor in the modability and homebrew games and programs available.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

The OG Xbox also has the best "works out of the box" versions of GTA: Vice City and San Andreas (and possible GTA3 too). The PC versions are able to achieve higher resolution but have lower quality assets (models and textures) and require some fuckery to work with a 360 controller (and even then I think the pop-ups for the controls end up being unhelpful).

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Harlock posted:

Was Otogi a good Xbox game? I feel like it was.

Both Otogi games were some of the most fun (and stupidly beautiful) action games I have ever played.
Besides the obvious games that have been mentioned, the original Xbox had some other cool exclusives like Rallisport Challenge 2, Unreal Championship 2, Phantom Crash, the Mechassault games, the first Buffy game and Midtown Madness 3. Also some really good PC ports like Doom 3(I honestly liked it better than the PC version), Half Life 2, Call of Chtullu: Dark Corners of Earth, Thief Deadly Shadows, Elder Scrolls III Morrowind, etc.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

univbee posted:

The OG Xbox also has the best "works out of the box" versions of GTA: Vice City and San Andreas (and possible GTA3 too). The PC versions are able to achieve higher resolution but have lower quality assets (models and textures) and require some fuckery to work with a 360 controller (and even then I think the pop-ups for the controls end up being unhelpful).

Counterpoint: The PC has the San Andreas Multiplayer mod, which I burned god knows how many hours in during college. Oh my god I played that so much.

Badmins represent :respek:

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Plus a complete in box copy of Madden 2000 for the N64 at $3. It was the cheapest N64 game they had to use as a donor cart for a Japanese game.

Oh, this is a good idea! My local HBP more often than not has some N64 sports games for a dollar on clearance just sitting around, I should pick up a few for if ever I need donor carts.

(Also, I found a sealed NHL '99 for $2.50 once :smug:)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Shenmue 2 is an Xbox exclusive if you live in North America. It's the best

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Gutcruncher posted:

Shenmue 2 is an Xbox exclusive if you live in North America. It's the best

Still the best shenmue experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQa3yGXzGls

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

flyboi posted:

Still the best shenmue experience

I don't remember any of that. I do remember a lot of this though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8j2B5MViwI

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
I recently got in the mood to try it GTA out on a console after having only played it on PC before. I found a steal of a deal for Vice City on PS2 and all I've really done so far is sit in a car and listen to the radio.

I loved the PC versions of all the GTA games I've ever played, but what are the pros/cons of playing it on the PS2 vs the Xbox?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Got an email that my recent online order from the local used game shop is ready for pickup

ITEM : FIRE EMBLEM: RADIANT DAWN
QTY : 1
PRICE : $44.99
AMOUNT: $44.99

:w00t:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tusen Takk posted:

I feel like I tend to stray away from the usual retrogames recommendations, but Max Payne 1 & 2 were both good (be prepared to turn up the brightness on your TV for MP1). Doom 3 was awesome because it also contained Doom 1,2, and master levels, which were unlocked right from the start. Hulk Ultimate Destruction is fun too.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tyson Tomko posted:

I recently got in the mood to try it GTA out on a console after having only played it on PC before. I found a steal of a deal for Vice City on PS2 and all I've really done so far is sit in a car and listen to the radio.

I loved the PC versions of all the GTA games I've ever played, but what are the pros/cons of playing it on the PS2 vs the Xbox?

XBOX has a better frame rate, better draw distance, higher rez textures, faster load times, and is just generally a better experience. Playing it on the PS2 is really only necessary if you just have to have the experience of playing GTA on the PS2.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

XBOX has a better frame rate, better draw distance, higher rez textures, faster load times, and is just generally a better experience. Playing it on the PS2 is really only necessary if you just have to have the experience of playing GTA on the PS2.

How do the analog controls of Vice City/San Andreas translate to the Xbox pad? Do they move the driving controls to the triggers?

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

The controls in San Andreas are pretty iffy on the original Xbox, at least if you use the default scheme where gas and brake are mapped to the triggers. Drivebys are particularly bad because you press the black or white button to look left/right and one of the face buttons to shoot, meaning that you'd have to use this ridiculous claw grip. I'm guessing it would be a lot more comfortable on the 360 controller.

Vice City doesn't have these problems because the button mappings are a bit different, and it plays very well.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Xbox also let you turn off that loving motion blur that PS2 games used instead of anti aliasing.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Watch this for an idea of the differences in the GTA games on Xbox vs PS2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjdXAbQ11Yo

Essentially the only downside the Xbox has is that loading times when going between indoor and outdoor are slightly longer due to it using larger textures and more detail, but still having to load off the same speed drive

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Vice City doesn't have these problems because the button mappings are a bit different, and it plays very well.

I want to say that the original Xbox release of it had a bug where passers-by never said anything, which, like, that's half the fun right there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Install Gentoo posted:

Watch this for an idea of the differences in the GTA games on Xbox vs PS2:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjdXAbQ11Yo

Essentially the only downside the Xbox has is that loading times when going between indoor and outdoor are slightly longer due to it using larger textures and more detail, but still having to load off the same speed drive

The solution for this is to soft-mod your xbox and load gta onto the hard drive. I have a 7200rpm 500gb drive in mine and gta loads up really quick.

You should soft-mod your xbox regardless, its easy and there are a ton of advantages.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."
Well, gently caress. Now I want to buy an Xbox again and collect all of these old games.

gently caress you, thread.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I went into a play n trade today. $35 for a greatest hits copy of Chrono Cross. Just oy.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

That isnt the musical version!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rccW9Tig6_Y

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

RadicalR posted:

Well, gently caress. Now I want to buy an Xbox again and collect all of these old games.

gently caress you, thread.

I have three and I love them all. They make fantastic emulation boxes, and I think they look cool, all giant and imposing.

Easy to find at my local Goodwill, and all of mine are in basically pristine shape too.

e. and I have like a dozen controllers now because they keep showing up for cheap. Giant controller supremacy, gently caress that little tiny baby controller [giant hand krew represent]

e2. Yeah XBMC is great for SD stuff on it, was watching Red Dwarf and Are You Being Served a few months ago on one of mine hooked to my giant CRT. :v:

Code Jockey fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 30, 2013

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yeah, they're cheap, plentiful, pretty bulletproof (after you soft-mod them and stop caring about the dvd drive), can emulate everything up to PS1 (including N64), can even serve as a HTPC if you dont mind SD video.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Code Jockey posted:

I have three and I love them all. They make fantastic emulation boxes, and I think they look cool, all giant and imposing.

I just want an easy and cheap (just the cost of the bigger hard drive) way for the layman like me to mod my old Xbox. Every time I look at a different tutorial I give up hope because I don't have an old PC with IDE and I don't have any way to interface the memory card via USB. Same goes for my PS2.

I somehow managed to solder in a PS1 modchip, and that seemed to be beyond my expertise.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Kramdar posted:

I just want an easy and cheap (just the cost of the bigger hard drive) way for the layman like me to mod my old Xbox. Every time I look at a different tutorial I give up hope because I don't have an old PC with IDE and I don't have any way to interface the memory card via USB. Same goes for my PS2.

I somehow managed to solder in a PS1 modchip, and that seemed to be beyond my expertise.

It's soooo easy. The IDE method is how I did my first one and it's kind of a bitch - but I have the memory card / copy of 007 if you'd like to borrow them and do it that way, which is ridiculously easy.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Is this just a fami version of the M8 or just some bootleg box?

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Code Jockey posted:

It's soooo easy. The IDE method is how I did my first one and it's kind of a bitch - but I have the memory card / copy of 007 if you'd like to borrow them and do it that way, which is ridiculously easy.

:suicide: I forgot about that. I USED to have the original game that I got for glitching. Looks like fun times are ahead when I go digging.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

HKR posted:

Is this just a fami version of the M8 or just some bootleg box?

Nope that's the demo station used in Japan for famicom. More on it here http://famicomworld.com/system/other/famicombox/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

flyboi posted:

Nope that's the demo station used in Japan for famicom. More on it here http://famicomworld.com/system/other/famicombox/

So yes, it is basically a Famicom version of the M8, though not explicity for retail display.

• Locked thread