Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

blackguy32 posted:

It doesn't have any of that racist bullshit like they put in the Cartel, right?

Let's all just forget that game ever existed. Nah, gunslinger is pure cowboy gunfighting. You shoot a few indians but its not in a racist way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Fonzarelli posted:

Let's all just forget that game ever existed. Nah, gunslinger is pure cowboy gunfighting. You shoot a few indians but its not in a racist way.

What's more, they even go out of their way to say that these Indians have a legitimate grievance, your character sympathizes with them, and any mystical elements are honestly more a byproduct of the fact that the game is a story being told by a drunk old man than any sort of MYSTICAL INJUN POWERS stuff. As soon as the level started, I braced myself for the incoming racist parade of Native Americans, but by the end I actually appreciated how well they walked the line between shootyman video game and cultural sensitivity.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Neo Rasa posted:

Yakuza 4 and Dead Souls are great with this but the team outdid themselves with Binary Domain and set the gold standard for what an install screen should be and sound like:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGNyIMjmvyA#t=1m19s

Oh, I forgot about that. Yeah, Binary Domain's installer is quite impressive.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Code Jockey posted:

Oh, I forgot about that. Yeah, Binary Domain's installer is quite impressive.

I wish the game didn't tank as I'd love to see that team do more stuff outside of Yakuza. Binary Domain isn't perfect but the atmosphere, the music, everything feels so focused and polished, I loved it.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Neo Rasa posted:

I wish the game didn't tank as I'd love to see that team do more stuff outside of Yakuza. Binary Domain isn't perfect but the atmosphere, the music, everything feels so focused and polished, I loved it.

Yeah, this. I found Binary Domain to be a fun romp, I enjoyed it a lot. Loved the environment and the boss... things were pretty neat. It felt like a slow Vanquish, kinda.

Also futuristic Tully's was hilarious to me for some reason.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aphrodite posted:

Activision should take a cue from Ubisoft, and release a $15 Call of Duty that's just Nuketown.

They would make billions.

Even better, a CoD with the tiniest maps in the franchise, nuketown, dome, storage I think it was in CoD4?

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

Alteisen posted:

Even better, a CoD with the tiniest maps in the franchise, nuketown, dome, storage I think it was in CoD4?

I would actually play that. I prefer smaller maps. Maybe because I'm too classical with shooter mechanics.... I want my weapons back on the field COD...

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Alteisen posted:

I think it was Shipment. Trying to think of a tiny map in MW2 and nothing immediately comes to mind. Storm was kinda small, but not Nukeboat-sized.

Also page 666 :twisted:

edit: VVV oh gently caress yes I forgot Rust, but wasn't that also in MW1?

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 31, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think it was Shipment. Trying to think of a tiny map in MW2 and nothing immediately comes to mind. Storm was kinda small, but not Nukeboat-sized.

Also page 666 :twisted:

Rust is the tiny MW2 map.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Rust is the tiny MW2 map.

No one remembers it because they had the sense to limit it to low player count modes. What a neat idea that was.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tooooooo bad posted:

No one remembers it because they had the sense to limit it to low player count modes. What a neat idea that was.

Hey man, Ground War Nuketown was the funniest loving thing. You could not escape death anywhere which prevented a lot of people from getting the high end KS.

Course you still sometimes bumped into a lobby so bad that even with people crashing into each other at all times someone till gets a hind or something and its good game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Even if you're not the hugest Western fan, if you loved Tombstone you'll geek out all over Gunslinger.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SubponticatePoster posted:

I think it was Shipment.

Oh god, I thought I'd managed to repress the trauma of playing that map. Long nights playing with friends and assorted pubbies, virtually everyone having martyrdom and 3x frags on their classes. The map was nothing but explosions, everywhere, all the time, forever.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Yardbomb posted:

Oh god, I thought I'd managed to repress the trauma of playing that map. Long nights playing with friends and assorted pubbies, virtually everyone having martyrdom and 3x frags on their classes. The map was nothing but explosions, everywhere, all the time, forever.

2-4 players it was actually pretty fun and still really chaotic, just not stupid. Any more than that and it started to remind me of when people would pack 32 players into tiny maps with only rockets in Quake 3. Funny for like 10 minutes ever.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I know the COD franchise gets a lot of flack but I still find Modern Warfare 3 to be a great multiplayer game. I can see why people would hate it yeah, but there's something charming about how arcadey and chaotic it is :3:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I loved CoD2 and 4 but I never even bought MW2 or anything after because I got so burned out on 4. I have no idea how you play thousands of hours of those games.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
About how long is Gunslinger?

I just tried the 60 minute trial of Fuse and... it seems like it might be kind of good? Hard to tell from just the first mission, but it's pretty polished and the Warp Gun is crazy fun. If they keep the multiplayer additions coming I could see it becoming a good way to kill time until the next Mass Effect multiplayer.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gunslinger is around 5 hours and when you beat it you get a harder difficulty/no HUD mode.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

precision posted:

I just tried the 60 minute trial of Fuse and... it seems like it might be kind of good? Hard to tell from just the first mission, but it's pretty polished and the Warp Gun is crazy fun. If they keep the multiplayer additions coming I could see it becoming a good way to kill time until the next Mass Effect multiplayer.

The game has really solid shooting mechanics, there's just very little on top of those.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

muscles like this? posted:

Gunslinger is around 5 hours and when you beat it you get a harder difficulty/no HUD mode.

Not to mention some collectibles to hunt down, skills to unlock, New Game +, an arcade mode for racking up high scores, and a quickdraw duel tournament mode.

For $15 bucks, you can't go wrong unless you just plain don't like shooters.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Crappy Jack posted:

Not to mention some collectibles to hunt down, skills to unlock, New Game +, an arcade mode for racking up high scores, and a quickdraw duel tournament mode.

For $15 bucks, you can't go wrong unless you just plain don't like shooters.

Yes, the game is solid. Get the demo then get the game!

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

precision posted:

It's pretty short and I don't think the multiplayer is anywhere near beefy enough to be sustaining. I wish it had somewhere near the variety of Mass Effect with regards to weaponry or abilities. I can't imagine the game sold well at all either, so I'm not sure how much dlc support it's going to get.

The game has some nice concepts but just about everything needs to be fleshed out more. If it gets graced with a sequel, I think they could turn it into something really good.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Aphrodite posted:

The game has really solid shooting mechanics, there's just very little on top of those.

I felt the shooting was easily the least enjoyable part of what I played, though that isn't saying much, because the rest was really bad too.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
Oh man Sleeping Dogs. I think I just encountered the best sneaking mission interaction ever. When you get caught sneaking you can press a button to "fast talk" the guard(s). I'm working my way around an area, and after successfully fast talking some dudes to let them know I'm one of them, the last one I do takes the cake.

Guard: Hey, who are you?
Wei (sleepy dog): Hey, I'm trying to sneak into this building here and you're making way too much noise... so shut the gently caress up or I'll slit your loving throat.
Guard: Ok, you won't hear from me again

Fourth wall/mind blown :3:

Less Talk More Rock
May 8, 2007
Would you give it all up to live again?
The best XMB music is from Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-powered Battle-cars.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

Less Talk More Rock posted:

The best XMB music is from Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-powered Battle-cars.

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySFWsvOA0KI

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I'm partial to the Trine music, myself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Dan Didio posted:

I felt the shooting was easily the least enjoyable part of what I played, though that isn't saying much, because the rest was really bad too.
That's a shame because Insomniac has always been one of my favorite game makers, though I've heard they are going downhill because the Ratchet and Clank games have gotten bad, is that true? I haven't really played the newer ones.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

achillesforever6 posted:

That's a shame because Insomniac has always been one of my favorite game makers, though I've heard they are going downhill because the Ratchet and Clank games have gotten bad, is that true? I haven't really played the newer ones.

The last 2 weren't 'traditional' R&C games (being co-op focused for All 4 one and tower defense for Full frontal assualt) and they weren't as good. The 2 full, traditional R&C games on PS3 were both excellent.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

"A Crack in Time" is one of the best games I've played, the newer ones are sadly poo poo.

Speaking of Insomniac - I haven't played the Resistance games, I've heard they are not bad but haven't aged well? Worth checking out?

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
Ratchet and Clank has always had a brand fatigue problem. They released four games in the same franchise on the PS2! That was practically unheard of in that era. I think Insomniac still has a lot of talent but they seem to be directionless since going third-party. Resistance 3 and A Crack in Time are probably the two best games they have ever made (albeit not the freshest or most exciting) and neither of those were that long ago! They seem to have split into a bunch of B-Teams all churning out product.

I wish Fuse had stayed Overstrike. Binary Domain proved that personality can go a LONG way in a solid, serviceable third-person shooter. I also wish that they expanded Bulletstorm-like scoring system that I saw in the GB Quick Look, only because I want Bulletstorm to be a hugely influential game.

e: ^^^^^^^
Each game in the Resistance series feels like a different game in the same universe. The first has enormous levels and feels almost like a shooter that you'd find on the PC in the PS2 era. Exploration, different ways to approach enemies, and semi-regenerating health instead of the CoD "duck and heal" mechanic. The second has a bad single player campaign that goes completely apeshit with the story and lore, kneecaps the cool thing about the first game (the weapon variety) by giving you a standard console shooter 2-weapon loadout, and feels too guided and cinematic for its own good. However, the co-op is amazing and fantastic and the most fun I've ever had playing an online shooter on consoles. Resistance 3 feels like they took a ton of cues from Half-Life 2 and made a quiet, tense, emotionally exhausting side story. It's a huge bummer but also a really really great game. It's a little Metro-esque now that I think about it.

Dadjacket fucked around with this message at 18:40 on May 31, 2013

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Sprat Sandwich posted:

"A Crack in Time" is one of the best games I've played, the newer ones are sadly poo poo.

Speaking of Insomniac - I haven't played the Resistance games, I've heard they are not bad but haven't aged well? Worth checking out?

1 and 2 are both alright, 3 is great though, feels very like Half life 2 (no regenerating health and no 2 weapon limit! When was the last FPS to do that?)

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

drat, I already have way too many games to pick up three new ones. The Half-Life 2 comparisons sound pretty good - will I be in trouble if I only get Resistance 3?

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
It's the shortest and most stand-alone. You don't need to know any of the ridiculous lore to enjoy the story because it's a different protagonist telling a more personal story. Go for it.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Alright.

I bought a used game. All this always online DRM disc checks jibbajabba - because of me.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Just a reminder that anyone who has God of War: Ascension can access the Last of Us demo today. I'm heading to a Redbox to pick it up just for the demo :negative:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

They're one of your favorite developers; you haven't played one of their games in years.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

BrownThunder posted:

Just a reminder that anyone who has God of War: Ascension can access the Last of Us demo today. I'm heading to a Redbox to pick it up just for the demo :negative:
You don't need a code or anything to download it? Just a rented copy of the game works?

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Rusty posted:

You don't need a code or anything to download it?

No, there's an option on the main menu which links to the PS store download page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

the truth posted:

They're one of your favorite developers; you haven't played one of their games in years.
I meant to say growing up and I got the first PS3 R&C game, but yeah I just didn't have the funds and I wanted to buy different games.

• Locked thread