Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ViggyNash posted:

This is sort of off topic but I wasn't sure where to ask this. Is there going to be another "best of the year" voting thread like the ones from past years? This is my first year on adtrw so I don't know much about it.
darkgray usually posts one late December every year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.
So I am almost done watching Sword Art Online,band I have really really enjoyed it. I liked the quasi fantasy setting a lot, and just overall I found it to be enjoyable. What else should I watch that is similar?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Porkchop Express posted:

So I am almost done watching Sword Art Online,band I have really really enjoyed it. I liked the quasi fantasy setting a lot, and just overall I found it to be enjoyable. What else should I watch that is similar?

Closest thing that comes to mind is .hack//SIGN, but don't expect it to have anywhere near as much action.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Superficially speaking .hack is probably the closest thing to SAO, but it's a bad anime and you shouldn't watch it. If you want something that replicates that "online game" feel just the same, Tower of Druaga isn't too bad.

But that said, there's a plethora of more "traditional" Fantasy settings worth exploring if you're willing to branch out a bit. Off the top of my head... Twelve Kingdoms, Seirei no Moribito, Record of Lodoss War, and maybe Escaflowne.

The excellent currently running The Devil is a Part-timer has fantasy characters transported into a modern setting, but I'll count it anyways.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Oh yes, it doesn't really need to be a "digital fantasy" world, just a straight fantasy series would be totally fine, I will check all of those out!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

.hack is not very good, or at least for all my attempts to get into it was incredibly difficult to get hooked. I spent more time with the incredibly terrible PS2 game(s).

In terms of 'online games meet the real world', I enjoyed Btoom! even if no one else did. It's 12 episodes, very similar to battle royale, and at this point is incomplete like highschool of the dead is, AKA seems to exist solely to point people at the manga. I'm reasonably sure the same team was behind it, actually.

Btoom! is a modeled after an online FPS, and like I mentioned it wasn't well received here, at least. But if you like vaguely exploitative fights to the death, ala Battle Royale, it might be up your alley.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
.hack is a great soundtrack, pity the anime is so bad.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
.hack is way up there on the list of boringest goddamn things I've watched, and this is coming from someone who likes mellow, atmospheric slice of life stuff.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I was surprised that several of the recommendations are available on Hulu. I haven't really watched much anime since the mid 90's, and at that time for a junior high school kid with little money, finding anime was kind of a bitch. My best resource where I lived was Suncoast video that had a fairly sizable selection compared to most everywhere else, but they were all crazy expensive. Most of the time I had to rely on a friend who would dub a vhs tape with two vcr's and give me a copy, haha.

At any rate some of those suggestions looked like they will fit the bill, so I will be checking them out shortly!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Things have changed, padre. Anime's ridiculously easy to find now. Heck, some stores even actually sell it! And not just stuff you see on TV!

Anyway, for a fantasy world, Slayers is a fun series if you can handle it being pretty 90s in both its humor and its pacing.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

Porkchop Express posted:

I was surprised that several of the recommendations are available on Hulu. I haven't really watched much anime since the mid 90's, and at that time for a junior high school kid with little money, finding anime was kind of a bitch. My best resource where I lived was Suncoast video that had a fairly sizable selection compared to most everywhere else, but they were all crazy expensive. Most of the time I had to rely on a friend who would dub a vhs tape with two vcr's and give me a copy, haha.

At any rate some of those suggestions looked like they will fit the bill, so I will be checking them out shortly!

For the most part, I've hit a bunch of misses on Hulu, was pretty happy that they have Hellsing Ultimate which I've been dying to see and was very happy with, but for the most part it's a lot of slice of life stuff and such, from what I've seen. Not into those. How is Magi? I keep seeing that around all the time.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~
I've never really watched any Slice of Life animes(except for Azumanga Daioh many years ago if that counts). I asked a friend of mine if she would recommend something and she told me to watch Hanasaku Iroha, but I'm not really sure if I should because it just looks so incredibly bland. Should I watch it?
And in the same case, any recommendations for any good slice of life animes?

EDIT: Oh, and I saw Mirai Nikki and Gurren Lagann some while ago as well and I really enjoyed them for the batshit crazy stuff going on. Any recommendations on that as well?

Stalins Moustache fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 1, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stalins Moustache posted:

Nichijou is spectacular.

Hare+Guu (aka Hale Nochi Guu, "The Jungle Was Nice, Then Came Guu"), while it might stretch the definition a little, is another good one.

EDIT: Oh, and I saw Mirai Nikki and Gurren Lagann some while ago as well and I really enjoyed them for the batshit crazy stuff going on. Any recommendations on that as well?

Watch Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Valvrave the Liberator, and Code Geass.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I really enjoyed Iroha but if chill animes aren't your bag then I don't think it's going to change your mind.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gunbuster and Diebuster are direct influences for Gurren Lagann and what started Gainax on the road to glory/crazy they are on today. Gunbuster in particular is really awesome for late 80's style robot and technological animation, also introduced the "Gainax Bounce". Diebuster, released much more recently, isn't as loved but I thought it was incredible all the same, and the animation in it outstanding. These are both six episodes long, so not a huge time commitment either. Also presents crazy scale in both shows.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nichijou is spectacular.

And then Nichibros (real name, Daily Lives of High School Boys) right after that.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

I've never really watched any Slice of Life animes(except for Azumanga Daioh many years ago if that counts). I asked a friend of mine if she would recommend something and she told me to watch Hanasaku Iroha, but I'm not really sure if I should because it just looks so incredibly bland. Should I watch it?

Slice of life is a really broad blanket term. A lot of them are slower paced like Hanasaku Iroha, which is usually what comes to mind when I hear the term. If you want a slice of life comedy, then definitely look at Nichibros, which is ridiculous, and ridiculously funny. For a couple that are closer to Azumanga Daioh, I'd recommend checking out Ika Musume/Squid Girl, and the first and fourth seasons of Minami-ke.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched the first three episodes of Working!! and...I don't get it. I was warned that the protagonist was a bit of a creep but I wasn't prepared for how repulsive he is. At least the other characters give him a hard time about it, I guess. Although, the way the show works it still caters to exactly the same kind of creeps as the protagonist by giving so much screen time to the unbearable uguu-munchkin object of his desires.

The other characters are fine and even amusing at times. I'm intrigued by the lazy Kyoko and her katana wielding sycophant, Yachiyo. The cooks seem like cool guys. Inami beats the protagonist up, so she's fine in my book, though I'm distressed by the possibility that she'll end up falling for the paedophilic milquetoast due to plot pheromones at some point.

People have said the second series is better - would it be worth skipping the rest of the first season to check that out? I like the setting and some of the humour, I just hate the two main characters as they currently are.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The first season (iirc) does get better once the focus shifts away from the terrible main character a bit. Almost nothing I liked about the show had anything to do with him (if he's the butt of a joke it's fine, basically), and there's still a character or two to be introduced--all of whom are better than he is.

He'll always be aggravating (to say the least), but even in the first season there's some good situational comedy that takes place with the rest of the cast.

The show is a long way from being perfect, but as an actual anime sitcom set in a restaurant I thought the funny bits outweighed the bad.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jun 1, 2013

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

a kitten posted:

The show is a long way from being perfect, but as an actual anime sitcom set in a restaurant I thought the funny bits outweighed the bad.
Yeah, that's what I'm hoping. I'll give it a couple more episodes. Otoo seems like an interesting character.

It's sad how often fun animes are let down by their protagonists.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
If things are still slow going for you, jump right into the second episode of the second season and don't look back. The side characters are the real strength of the show, and the main guy wavers way too much between creepy and plain dull in the first season. Second season he's more of an rear end in a top hat and crazy, and the comedy is at his expense almost whenever he's on screen. Plus you meet his equally hosed-up family in season 2.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Robert Denby posted:

Plus you meet his equally hosed-up family in season 2.
I thought they showed up at the end of season 1.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Paracelsus posted:

I thought they showed up at the end of season 1.

Yeah, they're in both seasons.

The main guy is only creepy when his strange preference (small things in general (ex. puppies/kittens)) is applied to Poplar, and that focus gradually lessens as the series progresses. And you can't skip over season 1 without missing the introduction of the best character YAMADA.

The second season is definitely funnier overall, but I think skipping right to it would lessen the humor.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Protagonist is whatever, but his family is amazing.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I asked a friend of mine if she would recommend something and she told me to watch Hanasaku Iroha, but I'm not really sure if I should because it just looks so incredibly bland. Should I watch it?

If you value your time, don't bother with it. If you want some background noise or something, I guess it would be fine.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I remember Hanasaku Iroha being a series with guests kidnapping the staff, a heron wandering around attacking people, and pretend soldiers fighting over the inn. Not my idea of bland. Did it all go wrong after I dropped it?

Does anyone know a realistic series about pregnancy? I was reading Spotted Flowers, which isn't quite what I was looking for - an otaku sex comedy instead of a drama - but I got a geeky pleasure from seeing it mention 4D scans.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Some people are just bored to tears by slice of life. I loved that show start to finish, but I can see why some people would find it dull. Its definitely a 3 episode test show though, since the third episode is when it starts to get good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

House Louse posted:

I remember Hanasaku Iroha being a series with guests kidnapping the staff, a heron wandering around attacking people, and pretend soldiers fighting over the inn. Not my idea of bland. Did it all go wrong after I dropped it?

Does anyone know a realistic series about pregnancy? I was reading Spotted Flowers, which isn't quite what I was looking for - an otaku sex comedy instead of a drama - but I got a geeky pleasure from seeing it mention 4D scans.

Well if you're okay with werewolves I thought The Wolf Children Ame and Yuki was great. It's drama and its not wacky or anything.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Ame and Yuki is a really good movie, not quite top shelf Ghibli-level, but up there.

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Blhue posted:

Some people are just bored to tears by slice of life. I loved that show start to finish, but I can see why some people would find it dull. Its definitely a 3 episode test show though, since the third episode is when it starts to get good.

It doesn't necessarily mean the genre's the deal-breaker. I usually enjoy slice-of-life shows, but did not like Hanasaku Iroha and dropped it after it failed my three-episode test, because I did not like the characters. And in that genre, not liking the characters is usually a deal-breaker.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I didn't realise Ame and Yuki had been subbed, thanks.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
There's a thread for it and everything!

Great, great movie. More about parenthood than pregnancy specifically, but great none the less.

JD
Jan 11, 2003
Hey guys, a girlfriend asked me about anime and said she really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and FLCL. Any recommendations based on those? Movies would be cool too. I was thinking of watching a Miyazaki and maybe some of Evangelion with her.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

JD posted:

Hey guys, a girlfriend asked me about anime and said she really enjoyed Fullmetal Alchemist and FLCL. Any recommendations based on those? Movies would be cool too. I was thinking of watching a Miyazaki and maybe some of Evangelion with her.

Eureka Seven. The show was designed to pick up the timeslot after FMA ended.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

JD posted:

Nichijou. It has the same way the gently caress over the top animations as FLCL and is almost as batshit insane. Probably one of the funniest animes out there. Follow that up with Nichibros (aka Daily Lives of High School Boys), which is Nichijou with guys and much plainer animations that turns out to be just as funny as or more so than Nichijou.

I'll second E7. It's made by the same company (Bones) so you'll notice some similarities in their design choices. Word of warning though, the beginnings is goddamn terrible. I was ready to quit after the first 3 episodes but the guys on this thread convinced me to keep going and I'm glad I did. The quality of E7 steadily increases to fantastic and stays there.

The Pickles
Apr 9, 2011

You should try this wonderful lunch. It's more than a delicious tasty crunch.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Give Time of Eve a look. It's a very serene and chill short series of six 15-minute episodes.

quote:

Another recommendation of Time of Eve.

Goddamn you guys for introducing me to this, it was so good but so short. Now it's going to bug me for a long time that there's no more of it.

On that note, and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I just bought the bluray on amazon, but I don't know if I got the right one, does the 2011 Original Edition have English subtitles? The product description is non existent, and the 2010 version is very expensive.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

The Pickles posted:

Goddamn you guys for introducing me to this, it was so good but so short. Now it's going to bug me for a long time that there's no more of it.

On that note, and sorry if this is the wrong place to ask, I just bought the bluray on amazon, but I don't know if I got the right one, does the 2011 Original Edition have English subtitles? The product description is non existent, and the 2010 version is very expensive.

Since the kickstarter has met its goal and the likelihood of them shipping a new DVD version seems high, I'd actually recommend backing it instead of buying anything now, especially since there may well be extra features and an English dub when it eventually releases.

The Pickles
Apr 9, 2011

You should try this wonderful lunch. It's more than a delicious tasty crunch.

Chas McGill posted:

Since the kickstarter has met its goal and the likelihood of them shipping a new DVD version seems high, I'd actually recommend backing it instead of buying anything now, especially since there may well be extra features and an English dub when it eventually releases.

I could take or leave the dub, but I do love special features. Thanks.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
A Certain Scientific Railgun. Yes/No.

I've seen divided opinions about this show and I'm not sure if I want to watch it. Are its merits worth its failures?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think the good outweighs the bad, but there is definitely some bad. You have to have a fairly high tolerance of silly slice of life and silly school girls doing silly school girl things. The manga is honestly a pretty solid shounen action affair, all things considered. Its first truly good arc though doesn't actually appear in the anime until the currently airing second season; the first season had a lot of fluff and some anime original material which was pretty mediocre.

I guess that's kind of a half-hearted answer, but honestly it's not that big of a deal either way. You could do a lot worse than Railgun. However, avoid anything Index-related like the plague.

• Locked thread