Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
Goddammit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

What the gently caress is this and why didn't I know about it already?! :allears:

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

'Red Hot Kick' is actually from Devil May Cry. I want to say all DMCs, except obviously DmC, have had it while using the fist weapon. So, Ifrit, Beowolf and Gilgamesh. But the move lists I see online don't mention it in 1. Though I know it was vital to my beating Nelo Angelo 3 a few months ago... I think.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Roflan posted:

'Red Hot Kick' is actually from Devil May Cry. I want to say all DMCs, except obviously DmC, have had it while using the fist weapon. So, Ifrit, Beowolf and Gilgamesh. But the move lists I see online don't mention it in 1. Though I know it was vital to my beating Nelo Angelo 3 a few months ago... I think.

1,3 and 4. So yeah, the ones with the fist weapons.
But they didn't home in in DMC, does the Viewtiful Joe Kick do that?

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

It is also in 2 when you play as Trish and send Sparda on a round trip or stab it into the ground. And they all home in. It homing is why it was vital to my beating Nelo Angelo 3 on DMD mode: I'd jump behind him and 'homing kick' into his back whenever he started blocking(which is anytime he's not killing you in 2 hits).

Roflan fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 1, 2013

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The Chinese Room argument is an example of one of the problems with defining intelligence: it's easy to define what it isn't, but hard to define what it is. I think most people would agree that an extremely well-written program that performs contextualized heuristic lookups to an extremely extensive table, thus approximating conversation, isn't sentient. However, that doesn't mean you couldn't get to the same result (an engaging conversation in a foreign language) another way -- for example, being smart and knowing Chinese. What the Chinese Room argument really does is illustrate that a single measure of intelligence isn't good enough -- it's probably possible to make a computer that is smart and knows Chinese, if only by simulating a whole brain at the individual neuron level in real-time by means of raw processing power.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jun 1, 2013

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Retromancer posted:

Hell, I wonder how his brain isn't driven against the back of his cyber skull when he goes flying into a wall like during the RAY fight. They've cured concussions and CTE in the future! yaaaaaaay!

Because
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kNrIn8H32c

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rigged Death Trap posted:

1,3 and 4. So yeah, the ones with the fist weapons.
But they didn't home in in DMC, does the Viewtiful Joe Kick do that?

Nah, it's just really useful in the 2D setting. (and if you zoom in it turns into a flaming dragon kick which is even more bitchin')

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Roflan posted:

I always knew the move as killer bee because that what it was in DMC3 where you could cancel into itself and jump on a dude's head forever. I don't think the diving kick really had a name until Viewtiful Joe though which came out before that.

Veev fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 1, 2013

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!

Veev posted:

I always knew the move as killer bee because that what it was in DMC3 where you could cancel into itself and jump on a dude's head forever. I don't think the diving kick really had a name until Viewtiful Joe though which came out before that.

I always call it Killer Bee regardless of what game it appears in because it was so awesome in DMC3 and because I like bees. I love how incestuous all the Clover/Platinum/Hideki Kamiya games are

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Geemer posted:

Infinite Revengeance!

It's odd how the soldiers torso stays at exactly the same hight and the head is bolted into position. Though raidens mocapping had alot of work and detail put into it, shame not all mooks got the same ammount of detail for their move sets.

Crigit posted:

What the gently caress is this and why didn't I know about it already?! :allears:

I always knew about Obama's innability to protect America from sandpaper.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Sundowner posted:

Samuel posted:

Is Mistral Going to post here, too?

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Instead of Falling Lightning Red Hot Kick, it always felt right to call it Inazuma Kick!

That move alone pretty much makes aerial enemies tolerable since there aren't too many options for air combos and mid-air mobility in general.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.
I like that they actually modelled the insides of the enemies, so you can see a cross section of them when you slice them up.

It always goes by really quickly in the game, but it's easy to pause these videos to see.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare
I'm really curious about the PC version of this game. Is there a part of the fighting/brawler/whateverthefuckinggenre community that use a keyboard or is the PC release merely a courtesy and should still be expected to be played with a controller?

I have a controller for PC that I use for some genres, particularly fighting games, but I'm wondering if anyone does (or even can??) play with keyboard/mouse in these games.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Samuel posted:

It's odd how the soldiers torso stays at exactly the same hight and the head is bolted into position. Though raidens mocapping had alot of work and detail put into it, shame not all mooks got the same ammount of detail for their move sets.

Eh I don't think it's an issue. There's always so much going on you will never ever notice the lower fluidity in the enemies in game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sundowner posted:

I'm really curious about the PC version of this game. Is there a part of the fighting/brawler/whateverthefuckinggenre community that use a keyboard or is the PC release merely a courtesy and should still be expected to be played with a controller?

I have a controller for PC that I use for some genres, particularly fighting games, but I'm wondering if anyone does (or even can??) play with keyboard/mouse in these games.

PC version's not out yet. We'll have to wait and see how it works.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Sundowner posted:

The real issue I can see is that precisely aiming with Blade Mode (which is required in this game in certain situations) would be a lot more painful with WASD than it is with an analog stick.

Sundowner
Apr 10, 2013

not even
jeff goldblum could save me from this nightmare

ChaosArgate posted:

PC version's not out yet. We'll have to wait and see how it works.

Yeah I'm aware but surely there have been more fighting games than just MGR out on PC? I guess this the first Platinum title on PC, though.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

bewilderment posted:

The real issue I can see is that precisely aiming with Blade Mode (which is required in this game in certain situations) would be a lot more painful with WASD than it is with an analog stick.

wouldn't you just rotate with the mouse though? running jumping and menu's on keyboard, and combo alternation on the mouse buttons.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Iserlohn posted:

Instead of Falling Lightning Red Hot Kick, it always felt right to call it Inazuma Kick!

I always wound up thinking of Kamen Rider, myself.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Samuel posted:

wouldn't you just rotate with the mouse though? running jumping and menu's on keyboard, and combo alternation on the mouse buttons.

The mechanic of pressing a stick in one direction and then letting go wouldn't really work. That's a pretty fiddly mechanic anyway so who cares.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

I always wound up thinking of Kamen Rider, myself.

We are talking about a cyborg protagonist, yeah. :v:

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
Even at the pace the Peace Walker LP went I suppose the chances are slim to none for the PC version coming out before this one spoils every last thing the game has to offer. :ohdear: It's so good though...

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Sundowner posted:

Fighting games have never been all that popular on PC thanks to this sort of limitation. On the other hand, the Arkham Asylum/City games are pretty easily handled with a keyboard/mouse system (although, having used both, I'd say the controller is better suited). It mostly comes down to how well the controls are handled by the port developers and how well they get tested.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Samuel posted:

Probably not, because unless they reversed the controls for Blade Mode (unlikely given how smooth it's supposed to be to slip into), you'd have camera control on the mouse. So you'd still aim in blade mode with your mouse, but actually making a cut at the precise angle you want would be handled really awkwardly by WASD.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

bewilderment posted:

Probably not, because unless they reversed the controls for Blade Mode (unlikely given how smooth it's supposed to be to slip into), you'd have camera control on the mouse. So you'd still aim in blade mode with your mouse, but actually making a cut at the precise angle you want would be handled really awkwardly by WASD.

You can aim with the mouse, click + drag to aim the cut, release to slash?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

If nothing else, the auto-slash while in Blade Mode is always there. It's not 100% accurate but it generally gets the job done barring when you're trying to cut off left hands.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

GilliamYaeger posted:

You can aim with the mouse, click + drag to aim the cut, release to slash?

I'd say aim with the mouse, left click to slash, right click to switch between horizontal and vertical cuts.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I think that in pretty much any case the controls are going to be slightly awkward, so it's definitely going to be a 'controller probably works best here' sorta thing. Some controls are just completely made with a controller in mind.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Clearly you would do blade mode with a licensed version of Clang.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
You're a dipshit if you play a game like this with a mouse and keyboard in the same way you're a moron if you play a RTS with a controller. It's theoretically possible and the option is there but it's just loving stupid to do that. Don't do that.

VampireWatermelon
Jul 16, 2012

ALFRED! Take me to Joker's hideout!

Roflan posted:

I recall using it to beat Nelo Angelo 2 a few weeks back. Still working on 3. I should probably stop playing while drunk.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

VampireWatermelon posted:

I recall using it to beat Nelo Angelo 2 a few weeks back. Still working on 3. I should probably stop playing while drunk.

This way, madness lies.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

The Dark Id posted:

You're a dipshit if you play a game like this with a mouse and keyboard in the same way you're a moron if you play a RTS with a controller. It's theoretically possible and the option is there but it's just loving stupid to do that. Don't do that.

I imagine MGR will go much like the Dark Souls PC release, where there is some group of people who refuse to use a controller in a game solely designed to be used with controllers and then complains how the M&KB controls are suboptimal.

wildzero
Apr 23, 2008

"My name is Dante."
"Fuck you say?"

The Dark Id posted:

Seconded.

You can play the PC version of DMC4 with just a keyboard (because there's no mouse support). It's terrible and I don't recommend it.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I always like to say it's like trying to eat Soup with a fork. You can do it, yeah, but it's going to be a thoroughly miserable experience and not worth it.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Oh man, this is the greatest LP ever. Like, ever.

Chip makes everything look so... effortless. He's like a... old ninja master, teaching his new student about the fine arts of running up walls and slicing people. Especially slicing people.

"Now pay attention, young grasshopper - this is how you execute the Falling Lightning Kick. By this time, the enemy should be flailing helplessly in midair... like so..." :D

I might've missed it already, but, Chip, do you intend to play through Sam DLC as well?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Parrying is sure going to be easy mode with just wasd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I wish I'd had Chip's parrying video back when I first played this (like a week ago but still). I muddled through a good part of the game only being able to parry like one attack in a row because I was just holding the analogue stick in one direction a lot of the time. Then around the second proper boss fight it all clicked that I should be doing a Smash Attack motion and I was parrying every attack that got thrown at me like a motherfucker. Counter parries are still kind of tricky though.

The swift ramping up of tech sort of got to me in this game until I remembered that Metal Gear was developed separately by at least two people and AI was being tested in the mid 70s. The Patroits were really hiding a lot of poo poo from everyone. I'm assuming thats what happened to the magic Oil in MG2 also.

• Locked thread