Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

SplitSoul posted:

So I'm two ticks away from doom and just got to the alien base mission. Skeleton armour and laser weapons on everyone, and my highest ranking dude is a heavy Captain. Warspace Extension Classic.

Am I hosed? I am hosed, aren't I?

Nah, I think lasers are pretty standard for the base mission. I don't have any experience with mods, but I have played through on Classic a few times and I think as long as you stay sharp and careful as a scalpel you'll be fine. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
I've never not had plasma and power armor before the alien base, what are you doing with your research time?

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I got to the base with only ballistic weapons and regular armour on Normal and I still arc'ed the commander while losing only one rookie early on. Unless your tech is way behind the enemies you've already seen on the field you'll be fine.

I think it was my first mission with Chrysalids though, and having to clear a pack of them at the end was an hour of quickloading to avoid losing Zookeeper (my main arc thrower Assault and constant burden to his brother Support).

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
I don't know how this happened but somehow I don't have plasma pistols (I have plasma everything else), I also have Titan/Archangel but no Ghost.

I think because I delayed capturing tech while beelining for Lasers and Skeleton Suits its led to this. I've captured all the high tier aliens but no low tiers (sectoid/thin man/floater) due to them not being on missions any more.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Unless Warspace Expansion changes this, the only static unit in the Alien Base is the Sectoid Commander at the end. Beyond that it's all scaled to whatever you're fighting right now. So if you're not screwed in a UFO landing, you won't be screwed in the base.

Axeface
Feb 28, 2009

He Who Walks
Behind The Aisles
Hey, I'm having some problems installing the Implassic mod. I've got the thing all splayed out in a file, and I've got the modpatcher in the right file, but every time I click on the .bat to run the program the command prompt opens and then instantly closes. I'm...not good with computers. Anybody know what the thing to do here is?

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Axeface posted:

Hey, I'm having some problems installing the Implassic mod. I've got the thing all splayed out in a file, and I've got the modpatcher in the right file, but every time I click on the .bat to run the program the command prompt opens and then instantly closes. I'm...not good with computers. Anybody know what the thing to do here is?
(FYI, I created the Implassic mod...): Check your folder where you extracted all the files to and make sure the modpatcher.exe file is present. I tested the batch file now and found the only thing that makes the command prompt open and close almost instantaneously is if the modpatcher.exe is missing.

Sometimes virus scanner programs will remove or quarantine EXE files found in archives during a download.

Otherwise if the modpatcher.exe is present, then the command prompt should open and close for a little bit longer (still under a second).

The Implassic batch file does not give any confirmation that the install succeeded. The only way to tell besides running the game is to check the Date Modified on the game's EXE file ( file XComGame.exe, found under C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\Binaries\Win32).

If you see today's date and time on the XComGame.exe file then chances are the install was successful.

The mod was just a crude and simple INI file hack, so I didn't go as far as adding splash screens (perhaps I should look into that...).

SirDrinksAlot
Aug 6, 2006

The wicked flee when none pursueth
Hey I really like your mod. It was a great way to ease me into impossible, but how can I go about resetting it?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Hey, speaking of mods, did anyone ever make a multilingual language track mod? I mean it's not like Firaxis doesn't already have the game recorded for, what, 42 different regions, but I can see it being a problem since I assume all the appropriate voice files are only distributed to target-region users.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Very late game council mission offering a Major Sniper. I don't need him, and with 2nd wave options I figure he's likely to have something pitiful like 68 aim and 47 will. But whatever, I'll go waste some thin men - good chance to spam mind fray and psi inspiration for my volunteer.

Turns out he's got 104 aim and 98 will. Literally the first time I've done well on the RNG for a mission reward soldier. I'm pretty pleased.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

SirDrinksAlot posted:

Hey I really like your mod. It was a great way to ease me into impossible, but how can I go about resetting it?
Why on earth would you want to reset it?

Just kidding: The best way to revert back to the original EXE file is to use Steam to restore it. I'm not clear how to do that, perhaps verify the integrity of the game from the game's Steam Properties settings.

I had assumed most people would back up their EXE before modding, but perhaps I do need to include a restore.bat file in a future release.

But you can also restore the INI settings using my scripts: there is a file included in the Implassic mod called DefaultGameCore.original.txt, which has the original .ini file settings from the original XCom EXE file I had used, right before the latest patch.

Just make a copy of the one of the patcher .bat files (call it restore_original.bat) and edit this new .bat file in a text editor (like notepad) and replace the DefaultGameCore.implassic....txt file with the DefaultGameCore.original.txt file name.

Note since the last patch Firaxis adjusted a few minor settings in the DefaultGameCore.ini file, so you would need to update these values in my original copy first before running your new restore batch file:

LOW_AIM=55
HIGH_AIM=75
LOW_MOBILITY=11
HIGH_MOBILITY=13
LOW_WILL=25

(I've been too busy lately to update these settings in my mod archive.)

Then double-click your new .bat file and it will patch in the original INI file settings.

Whenever Firaxis decides to release another patch (hopefully) then I'll update the mod package to include a restore batch file.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 2, 2013

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

a shameful boehner posted:

I laughed and restarted the mission.:xcom:

I don't think you're using that smiley right.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jimbozig posted:

Turns out he's got 104 aim and 98 will. Literally the first time I've done well on the RNG for a mission reward soldier. I'm pretty pleased.

One of my three snipers had 104 aim... at Captain :smug:

(His will is like 50 at Colonel)

Also, why would you need to grind up your Volunteer's psi powers? He'll just get 'em all anyway, give someone else the EXP!

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director
Played through Ironman classic for the Nth time. I've never seen the end of the game because I refuse to go back to normal after playing it through half way and finding it a cakewalk and not playing without Ironman because it gives the game an amazing yet sometimes tragic edge.

Like this time.

Full ghost armour, full plasma, everyone a colonel, got to the temple ship for the first time. Barely lost anyone in whole the game, all countries still up. I was playing perfectly, even did Slingshot early and beat it without losing a team member.

Breezing through the temple ship and, due to it being 3am and me trying to stay up to get to the end, started making terrible decisions. Split the group into 2 man teams so I could breach all 3 the doors at once. WHY? I don't know. Moving my snipers in range of sectapods? WHY NEAL? THEY HAVE SQUAD SIGHT WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU? Not turning on ghost when it would have saved lives.

Got to the last room with 2 guys left, got wiped out... it's all over.

Time to start another game :(

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

The Neal! posted:

Time to start another game :(

I think, even on ironman, if you fail the last mission you get the option to attempt it again.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Ugh, played a game of UFO: Defense.

Managed to Bull rush a floater base with my squad (4 psyches with stun batons, 1 stun bomber, 9 heavy plas) and put down most everyone. Coming up to the command centre, I baton an engineer and go on to mind control the two aliens at the top floor.

This is where it gets weird - The two of them should have a leader as one, commander as the other. I got two leaders. And neither of them returned to base after they were small bombed.

Kinda irritating all around, now I gotta do the mission again and mind control everyone to check for command creds.

The Neal!
Sep 3, 2004

HAY GUYZ! I want to be a director

animatorZed posted:

I think, even on ironman, if you fail the last mission you get the option to attempt it again.

I will. For sure... though my volunteer is dead and I didn't have anyone else at all with the gift... Plus I think I've got a couple of captains and a lieutenant in my B-Team so I don't know how doing it again would be possible. Unless it'll let me go back to progressing the world map.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Why on earth would you want to reset it?

Just kidding: The best way to revert back to the original EXE file is to use Steam to restore it. I'm not clear how to do that, perhaps verify the integrity of the game from the game's Steam Properties settings.
This works. Right click on the game -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Anything you've modified will fail muster and be re-downloaded.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Coolguye posted:

This works. Right click on the game -> Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Anything you've modified will fail muster and be re-downloaded.
Thanks for simplifying the instructions.

Note to anyone using the integrity verification: I just tried it myself and the process found over 1 GB of files to update, so it took about an hour and a half to restore (with my connection). I don't recall installing any mods so I'm not sure why it decided to restore more than just the game's EXE file.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

nnnotime posted:

Thanks for simplifying the instructions.

Note to anyone using the integrity verification: I just tried it myself and the process found over 1 GB of files to update, so it took about an hour and a half to restore (with my connection). I don't recall installing any mods so I'm not sure why it decided to restore more than just the game's EXE file.

Normal use can click a few 1s and 0s out of place on rare occasion, particularly if your drive is older. In most situations this is harmless, just the matter of one pixel being colored a little different, or perhaps it's just header information that doesn't get routinely read, and there's no impact at all. However, if you were to run a checksum on the file after one of these flips, it would definitely fail, and that causes steam to re-download the entire file. So if this happens on a primary resource file where all the soldier models are stored or something...yeah.

It's nothing to worry about if this is the only symptom, but I might suggest you get chkdsk or similar utility to run a surface scan on your hard drive, just to make sure you're not running into consistent read/write errors anywhere. Because if you've got consistent read/write errors on the disk, it's almost certainly gonna crash in the next month or so and you should start taking measures against it. If the surface scan comes up clean it's probably safe to write off an occurrence like this as 'just one of those things'.

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Has anyone checked out Xenonauts on steam? Looks like old school XCOM.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Revener posted:

It's a curmudgeonly Kickstarter that to everyone's surprise is pulling through nicely. It's a tribute to the original UFO: Enemy Unknown for better and for worse. All Early Access caveats apply.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Revener posted:

I've played the early access version over ten hours. So far so good. Close-enough gameplay, lots of nice stream-lining and refinements. I really like the art style too though I've seen a pile of people bitch and moan about it over the years.

The early-access caveats are that it's completely unbalanced, some placeholder art, final mission not beatable, more AI routines and maps coming. Some of the geoscape interface buttons are glitchy. One annoying thing was that I couldn't send my stupid helicopter from Europe to Australia for a terror mission, had to lose by default. Well, the interface would let me send it, but it would run low on fuel and head back before arriving.

There are some rule changes to the gameplay, like suppression is a thing now. There are also some surprises, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. If you have to know: the aliens can intercept your dropship.

edit: balance-wise, I'm finding that I just don't have enough cash. I could finally field plasma weapons, but can't afford to build them. I have one laser. One armour kit.

One big mistake I made was immediately transferring my new Foxtrot to my second base -- basically need that + your starter aircraft to take down the UFOs that start coming at you. At least in my game. I have no idea how missions are produced or how random it is.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 2, 2013

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Finally beat the game. Farewell, Greg 'Odin' Scott. May the earth sing songs of your valiant deeds from now till forever.

On normal. I did do alot of trial and error saving to get a feel for the tactics. I think I will eventually try classic/ironman. I am afraid of failure however, and I can't accept anything other than total victory.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Fargin Icehole posted:

I think I will eventually try classic/ironman. I am afraid of failure however, and I can't accept anything other than total victory.

Serious advice: In that case, you should just jump into Ironman Classic right away, and go as far as you can possibly go. You will have to learn to accept failure that way. Failure is not only a regular part of the game, it can be overcome and worked around, and making the best of bad situations is half the fun of the game. (the other half are the hats)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
I'm the exact same way in every other game I play (absolute, flawless victory or nothing) but X-Com really taught me to accept failure because it makes the success you have despite a mistake/failure feel so rewarding. Playing on normal and playing on Classic/Impossible are like two different games. Normal lets you build up a super team and eventually steamroll everything you run into with lethal precision. The higher difficulties, on the other hand, are a constant struggle for survival, which makes beating missions and taking out groups of aliens without taking a hit or even getting shot at feel that much more badass.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Fargin Icehole posted:

I am afraid of failure however, and I can't accept anything other than total victory.

This is a terrible mindset and the quicker you get over it the better you will be as a player.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Brainamp posted:

This is a terrible mindset and the quicker you get over it the better you will be as a player.

To be fair, though, it's a mindset that's rewarded in your typical campaign- or story-based game, where you only get the "best" ending if you do everything right the whole way through. I usually have the same mindset myself -- screwing up 10% of the way in means there's a pretty good chance that you're going to waste the next 20-30 hours if you don't reload.

However, for Fargin Icehole and anyone else worrying about the same thing, rest assured that XCOM assumes that you'll be getting dudes killed left and right, and there's no additional reward for breezing through the game. In fact, I think that most people agree that it's the feeling of panic and stress in the first half of the game that's most rewarding, and that the second half is a bit lackluster in comparison. Savescumming in the first, tough half robs you of that feeling of accomplishment for no real reward later on.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Carbolic posted:

I don't think you're using that smiley right.

oh, i thought it could also be used to describe the impossible situations that arise due to the inherent bugs? Or is it more of a "my entire squad just missed 70%+ shots and then had a rocket miss" type deal?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

oh, i thought it could also be used to describe the impossible situations that arise due to the inherent bugs? Or is it more of a "my entire squad just missed 70%+ shots and then had a rocket miss" type deal?

I think he's criticising you for restarting the mission instead of accepting the grizzly fate XCOM's awful bugginess just handed you.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Well you know what? If the game's going to cheat, then so am I :colbert:

Andre Banzai
Jan 2, 2012

Lewd Mangabey posted:

In fact, I think that most people agree that it's the feeling of panic and stress in the first half of the game that's most rewarding, and that the second half is a bit lackluster in comparison. Savescumming in the first, tough half robs you of that feeling of accomplishment for no real reward later on.

Unless, of course, right after assaulting the base on Classic Ironman, you get a landed large scout, send a great team to the mission and get 6 Mutons and Cyberdisk + drones teleport all at once in front of you, and in the process of attempting to flee the ambush, get your entire team killed (including one Sniper Colonel), except for one single Sniper, who magically manages to escape after enduring a plasma shot in the back.

In that case, when you come back to the base and notice that you now only have 3 ranked soldiers and a bunch of Rookies as your team for the second half of the game... and you've ticked "More Than Human" and "The Greater Good" in the Second Wave options... well, that adds a lot of drama to the game, let me tell you.

I'm pushing forward though. Three missions later, I have now captured a Sectoid Commander and am building a Psionic Lab. SHIVs are absolutely incredible. Advancing a kamikaze unit right in the face of the aliens and shooting at them point blank seems to completely ruin their tactics. It's awesome to train Rookies, too, really helpful.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
As long as you can manage to level up a squad sight sniper, finishing the game with just Shivs is entirely possible after a squad wipe. The only problem is if you don't have enough assets to build a team of them.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Recently picked this up from the Amazon sale and it's just as addictive as I thought it would be. Everything's going pretty smoothly so far, though I'm still feeling out the most efficient research path.

Technical issue, though: At the start of some missions, right after the Skyranger deployment video, I get an "XCOM has stopped working" error. I'm guessing it's video-related, but I'm not sure. Some missions load perfectly fine. The only mods I've installed are this graphics mod and I removed the intro videos from playing. I'm updating my video driver right now, but if anyone happens to know of a cure... running Win7 64 and Radeon 5830.

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Well you know what? If the game's going to cheat, then so am I :colbert:

In retrospect my comment was more dickish than I intended. But yes the point was that reloading isn't in the spirit of XCOM or any ironman game. That being said, I admit I played "soft ironman" for a while, i.e. keeping multiple savefiles because I was worried about game-breaking bugs, but not actually save-scumming. I just think there's a very slippery slope when you have the power to reload.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

spider wisdom posted:

Technical issue, though: At the start of some missions, right after the Skyranger deployment video, I get an "XCOM has stopped working" error. I'm guessing it's video-related, but I'm not sure. Some missions load perfectly fine. The only mods I've installed are this graphics mod and I removed the intro videos from playing. I'm updating my video driver right now, but if anyone happens to know of a cure... running Win7 64 and Radeon 5830.
Maybe update your sound-card drivers, too. I was having problems with a different game crashing (Starcraft 2) and once I upgraded my Realtek sound drivers the problems went away. My sound-card is embedded onto my motherboard.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

ChronoReverse posted:

As long as you can manage to level up a squad sight sniper, finishing the game with just Shivs is entirely possible after a squad wipe. The only problem is if you don't have enough assets to build a team of them.
Can SHIVs be psykers? More importantly, how hard is this mod to make right now?

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Shumagorath posted:

I want to know how having a team of mostly SHIVs affects the ending cinematic.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Revener posted:

I want to know how having a team of mostly SHIVs affects the ending cinematic.

The Volunteer shoves at empty space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

You need one psychic soldier (hence my comment about raising one sniper).

• Locked thread