Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Annakie posted:

Theran Cedrax is the worst companion in all of SWTOR.

I take it you haven't done BH yet? Because Skadge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Annakie posted:

Theran Cedrax is the worst companion in all of SWTOR. As if his obnoxious personality wasn't bad enough, he has a hologram girlfriend. You can sleep with him as a female Jedi, but he dumps you right afterwards because his hologram gets jealous. His VA nails his haughty attitude well, though.

I was really glad I leveled as a healer too. Qyzen is boring as hell, but at least he's not obnoxious. Unfortunately you don't get Felix Iresso util after Hoth and your padawan until.... Voss?

Selected the wrong dialog option on my Sage and now she has to live with that for the rest of her life. Thanks a lot Bioware. :mad:

I hated Qyzen. Nadia was great with a female consular. The Nadia romance is the most disturbing in the game, but as always the mdps comp is the one you want with you.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

Medullah posted:

I take it you haven't done BH yet? Because Skadge.

Malavai. :colbert:

Still, for good healing companions I prefer Guss - he's so happy :)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I found Qyzen insufferable. poo poo tank, obnoxious comp quest story and utterly terrible affection gains. Nadia did better to keep aggro and she was DPS.

McTimmy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 3, 2013

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I'll be honest, other than my Smuggler who I am levelling as a healer, I've never used a non-DPS companion, at least once a DPS companion became available. My Sniper dropped Kaliyo for Vector the minute I got him, my Inquisitor dropped Khem for Andronikos, and then him for Ashara, and on my Warrior I literally never used anyone but Vette before the end of Chapter 1, and never used anyone but Jaesa afterward. Quinn is still wearing his Balmorra starting gear on my level 50 Warrior (and so are Pierce and Broonmark). As such I found it rather annoying that (major endgame Warrior spoilers!) I couldn't just kill Quinn. I don't need him, and I don't want him anything but dead! At the same time though, if it'd been Jaesa that did this I'd have been hosed because she was the only one not in starter gear or Alderaan quest rewards.

I had problems with my Sniper (but trying Doc lokin or the tanks didn't fix that), but next to no trouble on my Sorc or Juggernaut, (Sorc and sniper were pre-legacy presence bonuses, and I didn't do the companion maxing until the end of the Juggernaut line), so healer and tank companions seem kinda, em, pointless unless you're not levelling DPS.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Speaking of companions, M1-4X...sucks? The guy seems to melt very quickly in fights, and even with me as a full heal spec I can never keep him alive. This is a shame because of how much I love him.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Red Crown posted:

Speaking of companions, M1-4X...sucks? The guy seems to melt very quickly in fights, and even with me as a full heal spec I can never keep him alive. This is a shame because of how much I love him.

It's a side effect of him being a droid. He's a pain in the rear end to gear up because he uses special droid parts, so unless you're religiously buying him a full load out every 4 to 6 levels, the fact that he's your tank companion means he can't keep up with the incoming damage in folds like origami. And yes, this is a shame, since it limits your options paling around with Liberty Prime for the game unless you're a Cybertech or have oodles of poo poo lying around to gear him with before the end game.

Also gently caress Quinn, and his stupid mole.

Rascyc posted:

I bet he's talking about the final boss of the instance that sets the floors on fire ("call down the missiles"). I had a fun fight with him the other day where everyone ate fire except this one random BH and myself so we just kited/killed it over the course of 5 minutes.

Was this on Hard Mode or Story Mode? Because as a level 32 Sage, I ended up soloing him because the random pubbies I got were literally the worst. They died at about 30%, and I ended up having to take him down the rest of the way, frantically shielding, healing, applying a dot and then hitting him with my saber a few times before repeating. I really hope they felt bad after that.

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
I hate this game because I badly want to play a Sniper.. but... LIGHTSABERS. It doesn't help that color crystals are massively more potent for customization on a lightsaber-using class.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."

hobbesmaster posted:

Selected the wrong dialog option on my Sage and now she has to live with that for the rest of her life. Thanks a lot Bioware. :mad:

I hated Qyzen. Nadia was great with a female consular. The Nadia romance is the most disturbing in the game, but as always the mdps comp is the one you want with you.

Oh believe me I wish I would have backed out of the decision to have my sage sleep with him, too.

I don't like Qyzen at all, but he's still marginally better than Theran to me. The Twilek guy is such a non-entity to me I forget that he exists most of the time. It sucks that you don't get your only two decent companions until level 40+, hence the reason I'd never play sage again.

Trooper, on the other hand, gets three great companions really quickly, then the last two are kind of bland. From an RP standpoint, I'd never let Tanno Vik on my ship if he wasn't required.

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
Having re-subbed after an extended absence, I think I am going to re-spec my Jugg to Immortal after I hit 55. I just have this feeling that running Flashpoints and whatnot will be easier if I can tank them (I did all my guilds tanking on HM Flashpoints and Operations before I quit).

I'm not looking forward to having to re-gear a complete armor/weapon/accessories set for tanking stats at 55 though :/

I'm also SO pissed I wasted all my Unassembled Columi item drops on my useless Companions now, knowing that instead I could have saved them to turn them in for 75 Classic Commendations per item! What a pisser!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Holiday and Tharan Own Haters Vacate.

Plus if you refuse to pull your Jedi strings for his science thing he actually grows as a person too.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Yeah no, gently caress everyone, Tharan and Qyzen rock, Iresso is interesting, and Nadia is ok I guess.

You force Qyzen to grow out of his "must hunt" shell, and make him realize he's been a selfish rear end. He's also a treasure trove of interesting facts about the Trandoshens, their culture, and why they are the way they are. If you just go at him with "HUNTING WOOKIES! THATS EVIIIIIL" then you are the shittiest Consular ever anyways, so eh. Hearing his story of taking out an adult Rancor with nothing but one of it's broken teeth because he wanted to prove himself is the most :black101: thing ever.

Tharan is the same way, he starts off as a know it all smartass, and over the course of his little questline, you get to force him to realize he's a conceited hypocrite, and get him to accept where he really stands in the galactic stage.

Iresso doesn't really grow, but his little infodump about what happened to him is alright I guess.

Nadia exists. On my ship. I guess she's nice. I used her throughout Voss to repbuild her, but ended up going back to my bro Qyzen for Corelia/Ilum.

I have no clue why Zenith is even on my ship. His entire little questline is about becoming the minority leader on Balmorra, which he eventually achieves. In my game I managed to convince him to do it as a good person, and he ended telling me he's glad we had our talks, because it's restored his faith in humanity since doing things the right way worked. Good for him I guess. Not quite sure why he's on my ship though. If he's so keen on Balmorra for Balmorra, maybe he should be on Balmorra, rather then on my ship which is doing kind of important galaxywide tasks that needs a crew of hardened motherfuckers.

I still count them as better then the majority of companions in the game because they actually grow and develop. So far from what I've seen, only the Consular, Agent, Warrior, and Smuggler have companions that develop past their initial sterotypes. "Walking Liberty Prime" sounds cool, until you realize he never deviates from being Walking Liberty Prime.

ThreeSixXero
Mar 12, 2013

Unprofessional design critic

The issue most people have is that the companion stories aren't as flexible as we were lead to believe they were. I mean, sure, I like a lot of the stories presented (particularly LS Jaesa, Vette, Mako, Qyzen, Khem Val, and Bowdaar), but it's also true that, while they develop as characters, they just aren't very dynamic (but, then again, most of the game isn't either).

That said, I still enjoy their story lines.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I despise Kaliyo. She is literally my least favorite companion, and I wish I could shove her out an air lock.

Stan S. Stanman
Nov 18, 2009
Anyone know what the materials used for the 150 basic comm schematics? This one, for example.

I can't seem to find a site that shows the material cost, and I'm hesitant to spend comms on the schematics if it's going to require me to participate in ops just for the materials.

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

Stan S. Stanman posted:

Anyone know what the materials used for the 150 basic comm schematics? This one, for example.

I can't seem to find a site that shows the material cost, and I'm hesitant to spend comms on the schematics if it's going to require me to participate in ops just for the materials.
Isotope-5. You can get them for 35 basic comms.

Lazer Vampire Jr.
Mar 31, 2005

Ask me about whatever fat loss diet is popular this month!
I like all the Smuggler companions since I can imagine all of them actually working on a ship together as some kind of crazy rag-tag crew who won't kill each other if you turn your back on them. Too bad the only Sullustan you get to work with gets murdered in Chapter 1,

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Playing a Dark Side Consular is hilarious, especially in Chapter 1. You go through all that trouble to learn how to shield people from dark influence, but instead if helping them you can just kill them all.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

So, Jaesa...is there a way to make her NOT look ridiculous? I hate that her midriff is showing no matter what she wears. It's blatant pandering.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's just a common model for light armor Imperial side.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

It's just a common model for light armor Imperial side.

And it makes gearing a female inquisitor impossible until you get some solid oranges.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Can anyone confirm if chest armor hoods are hidden using the hide helmet option, before I plunk down some creds for the authorization?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They are not.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

They aren't. Chest armor hoods are always up, and besides dyes, toggling hoods was/is probably the most requested thing cosmetic wise.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I just got my first Republic character, a sentinel, to 55 by turning in the final Makeb story mission. You can't time it much better than that. I'll probably be bouncing back and forth between my trooper and smuggler now, since I'm enjoying those stories a lot. I'm already starting to think about which base class I'll repeat first with the other alternate class. I've been wanting to roll a Miraluka Assassin for basically forever now, but I'm also tempted to roll Commando for the gameplay I'm already familiar with from my Merc plus a giant cannon.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
So what's the best way to make money? Preferably with little effort. I'm poor as poo poo and it's sad.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

hobbesmaster posted:

And it makes gearing a female inquisitor impossible until you get some solid oranges.

The non-revealing chests seemed pretty common leveling up. I don't remember coming across any bare midriff stuff. Could have just been luck, though.

Inquisitor armor gets dumber looking as you level, imo. The ridiculous pauldrons on some of the chests make my sorcerer look like a Dragonball Z character. I usually don't mind over-the-top designs, but for some reason the ones in this game rub me the wrong way. I'd rather look like an unassuming monk in modest robes than a big rear end in a top hat with a weird metal neck brace thing. Less is more in this case.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Thumbtacks posted:

So what's the best way to make money? Preferably with little effort. I'm poor as poo poo and it's sad.

Doing the dalies on Ilum/BlackHole/SectorX (including the heroics) can net you about 280k credits. Add in the weekly, and once a week it raises to about 350k credits.

Not sure how much it becomes if you do Makeb's dailies/weeklies as well. But those three are particularly easy - I could solo the Black Hole heroic 4 by the time I had myself in full basic and Forex was in 3~ or so pieces, as a healer specced commando. Took awhile to do each fight, but I could do it!

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.
What's the most OP as poo poo class at the moment? Played as a Sniper back at release until the great exodus, and wouldn't mind playing through the republic storyline this time.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

There is currently an animation bug/exploit (or at least something that the Fleet PVP chat says is one of those two) that Operatives, and likely their Republic counterpart, can take advantage of in PVP, where you can get off a good 3-4 attack abilities before unstealthing. I'm not certain how it's done, but there are videos on youtube and the like.

It makes killing healers very easy, especially squishy sages, as they can be killed before your stealth drops. I've only seen people level 50+ actually use it, so it may rely on something high in their talent trees.

Cascul
Jan 27, 2013

Red Crown posted:

So, Jaesa...is there a way to make her NOT look ridiculous? I hate that her midriff is showing no matter what she wears. It's blatant pandering.

I've never run into that. Though I haven't been able to find a helm for her that is good and doesn't look horrible.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

KittyEmpress posted:

I despise Kaliyo. She is literally my least favorite companion, and I wish I could shove her out an air lock.
So far I'm doing okay with Vector instead (around L31) and just out DPSing everything, but I feel like I'm going to need her tank abilities at some point later. Yes or no?

Also, Kaliyo feels like she should be a bounty hunter companion, not an agent one.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Kaliyo is awesome. :colbert:

Leveling as DPS/DPS is perfectly fine and will get you through the whole game, save maybe one or two fights.
Anyway, Agents get their second tank companion on Belsavis and that one is the best companion in the game, bar none.

Baalfrog
Nov 14, 2012

Thats pretty neat.

KittyEmpress posted:

There is currently an animation bug/exploit (or at least something that the Fleet PVP chat says is one of those two) that Operatives, and likely their Republic counterpart, can take advantage of in PVP, where you can get off a good 3-4 attack abilities before unstealthing. I'm not certain how it's done, but there are videos on youtube and the like.

It makes killing healers very easy, especially squishy sages, as they can be killed before your stealth drops. I've only seen people level 50+ actually use it, so it may rely on something high in their talent trees.

I am kinda intriqued by this... I suspect it will be harder ,or impossible even, to perform on scoundrels, since he reches his back and spins the shotgun around like a space-cowboy and then fires and then puts it back there. Compare that to the Oppy who just tosses the knife and thats it.

Reveilled posted:

I couldn't just kill Quinn. I don't need him, and I don't want him anything but dead! At the same time though, if it'd been Jaesa that did this I'd have been hosed because she was the only one not in starter gear or Alderaan quest rewards.

Killing of companions used to be in the game, then they removed it. The case you described used to be one of them. As far as I know there are quite a lot of them, and removing the killing option just makes stuff make no sense...

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Baalfrog posted:

I am kinda intriqued by this... I suspect it will be harder ,or impossible even, to perform on scoundrels, since he reches his back and spins the shotgun around like a space-cowboy and then fires and then puts it back there. Compare that to the Oppy who just tosses the knife and thats it.

Well, it's less about animation speed, and more about the fact that you can get 3 attacks in due to the global cooldown. I'd assume it'd be pretty much equal, but I could be wrong. I know I hate facing Operatives though, and it made me quit doing PVP.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

folgore posted:

The non-revealing chests seemed pretty common leveling up. I don't remember coming across any bare midriff stuff. Could have just been luck, though.

Inquisitor armor gets dumber looking as you level, imo. The ridiculous pauldrons on some of the chests make my sorcerer look like a Dragonball Z character. I usually don't mind over-the-top designs, but for some reason the ones in this game rub me the wrong way. I'd rather look like an unassuming monk in modest robes than a big rear end in a top hat with a weird metal neck brace thing. Less is more in this case.

Yeah in the pre-cartel market era I resorted to grinding up Social III offering free BT boosts to wear Ulgo social gear, before grinding out a bunch of space missions to get a civilian pilot top because Inquisitor orange armor was utterly awful if you didn't want to look utterly ridiculous (and even then Ulgo gear is merely ridiculous rather than utterly ridiculous). By contrast my LS Warrior got a crafted orange-tier red-coloured robe (Warlord's chestguard I think) relatively early on that looked perfectly simply and unassuming. Don't know why there are no robes for inquisitors like that.

Honestly, the best piece of inquisitor gear in the whole game was the red shirt you start the game in. I'd have loved an orange-tier version of that, I'd have kept it on the full game.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Thumbtacks posted:

For leveling up, I've taken multiple gathering professions. It's been enough to finance a really nice treat (Silver-Blue Color Crystal) and Legacy XP unlocks across three characters. Slicing, Scavenging (This one being the most profitable so far), Bioanalysis, etc.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Yeah in the pre-cartel market era I resorted to grinding up Social III offering free BT boosts to wear Ulgo social gear, before grinding out a bunch of space missions to get a civilian pilot top because Inquisitor orange armor was utterly awful if you didn't want to look utterly ridiculous (and even then Ulgo gear is merely ridiculous rather than utterly ridiculous). By contrast my LS Warrior got a crafted orange-tier red-coloured robe (Warlord's chestguard I think) relatively early on that looked perfectly simply and unassuming. Don't know why there are no robes for inquisitors like that.

Honestly, the best piece of inquisitor gear in the whole game was the red shirt you start the game in. I'd have loved an orange-tier version of that, I'd have kept it on the full game.

My Assassin is wearing the Saber Marshall's Robe, I think he got it at level 12 or so. It's the closest thing to a solid black robe I've found, just has some stupid red squares, which actually look kind of cool with the Rakata Survivor's pants when the color scheme is matched.

Now to get a black/purple dye pack and get me a Blighted Robe from Everquest!

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I have to say that it's really not a good sign when many players look at your high level gear and go "Yeah no, that looks stupid."

I'm in the very same case and think that most Sith gear looks really ridiculous towards the end. The normal classes really get the best looking stuff. Thank god for low level oranges I guess !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Fathis Munk posted:

I have to say that it's really not a good sign when many players look at your high level gear and go "Yeah no, that looks stupid."

I'm in the very same case and think that most Sith gear looks really ridiculous towards the end. The normal classes really get the best looking stuff. Thank god for low level oranges I guess !

Yep, I think the Black Talon orange gear is some of the best looking in the game...my 55 Merc and 55 Marauder in full 66 purples are still wearing the chest pieces from Black Talon. The Agent one is a nice basic trenchcoat but I think it fits snipers better than operatives.

• Locked thread