Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Nah, that's the sticker they put on the box for the Canadian release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The only time you're going to see that sticker in the states is if you ever shop at a Canadian owned store like 5 Below. I'm not sure if 5 Below is even outside of Michigan and Canada now that I think about it...

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really like the villain designs for the Mario+Luigi games

Antasma looks neat!

I like everything about Mario and Luigi. As long as they don't screw with the formula too badly, the game will be great. Or, at worst, it'll be like Partners in Time (which was still not too bad). I don't know how the games are so fun and charming and funny, but there you go.

Arthe Xavier posted:

Oh and I, too, need to get OoT 3D as soon as possible.

Ocarina 3D is an absolute must-have. I'm working through the Oracle games on the VC myself, and I forgot how good they are. I remembered them being decent, but they're actually quite good. It's like a return to the golden age where Zelda games were really good and intelligently created. Somehow, I have a feeling they'll completely gently caress up Link to the Past 2 and I'll hate everything.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Oh, alright. I mean even if it was on the US box if it was just a sticker I wouldn't care so much.

Though I wish the ugly white 3D Warning box would be a sticker too.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

RyokoTK posted:

I like everything about Mario and Luigi. As long as they don't screw with the formula too badly, the game will be great. Or, at worst, it'll be like Partners in Time (which was still not too bad). I don't know how the games are so fun and charming and funny, but there you go.

Partners in Time is okay but whoever decided that it really needed a three-part final boss with a ton of HP can go gently caress themselves, especially when the Phase Three is Phase Two But Needlessly Harder.

SpidTrad
Apr 10, 2011
I blew it and missed the Target sale that just ended. Are there any sick deals coming up in the next month or should I just bite the bullet and get the Pop Tart Edition?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Color Printer posted:

Partners in Time is okay but whoever decided that it really needed a three-part final boss with a ton of HP can go gently caress themselves, especially when the Phase Three is Phase Two But Needlessly Harder.

I gave up on the final boss of that game. Not because it was too hard, but because I got bored and turned the DS off.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

RyokoTK posted:

Ocarina 3D is an absolute must-have. I'm working through the Oracle games on the VC myself, and I forgot how good they are. I remembered them being decent, but they're actually quite good. It's like a return to the golden age where Zelda games were really good and intelligently created. Somehow, I have a feeling they'll completely gently caress up Link to the Past 2 and I'll hate everything.

Seeing as a Link to the Past is probably my 2nd favorite game ever, I am cautious as you are. Does anyone know if the original SNES "team" is working on it?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I really like the villain designs for the Mario+Luigi games

Antasma looks neat!

Fancyhaunter, I choose you!!

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The Gateway 3DS now has a price

$80/€65

For all that you get:
The ability to pirate one retail game at a time
No way to backup saves
No homebrew
gateway-3ds.com

The skiddies are eating this device up because they think that the encryption was broken when in reality it is no more than a "make your own bootleg" kit.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Color Printer posted:

First time I got to the final boss I had avoided encounters when I didn't feel like fighting and was pretty weak.

I ran out of BP/FP whatever it was called and had to do normal attacks only

Each attack only did 3-5 damage

I was at it for a few hours no joke. :suicide: Then I found out they jacked her HP up in the US version for no goddamn reason and got all kinds of mad.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Dehry posted:

The Gateway 3DS now has a price

$80/€65

For all that you get:
The ability to pirate one retail game at a time
No way to backup saves
No homebrew
gateway-3ds.com

The skiddies are eating this device up because they think that the encryption was broken when in reality it is no more than a "make your own bootleg" kit.

Man, this thing is going to get patched over so fast. It'd almost be funny if I didn't really want homebrew on this drat thing already.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES
Is plants vs zombies on parity with the pc version? I know the droid version is lacking a lot of functionality and gameplay that iOS and PC have.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I thought the final boss of Partners in Time was an order of magnitude easier than the one from Superstar Saga. Am I crazy?

Cackletta has kicked my rear end every time I played that game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

It's easier, but also takes like ten times as long.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

I thought the final boss of Partners in Time was an order of magnitude easier than the one from Superstar Saga. Am I crazy?

I'm generally a pansy when it comes to game difficulty, but I don't recall ever having a problem with Superstar Saga and Partners in Time.

I haven't played Bowsers Inside Story yet though... I gotta get on that before the new one comes out.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I remember being pretty underwhelmed with Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, probably because I was expecting Mario RPG. What's considered the "must play" in the series?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I remember being pretty underwhelmed with Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, probably because I was expecting Mario RPG. What's considered the "must play" in the series?

Partners In Time is regarded as the only "okay" one in the series. The other two are fantastic. They're not Mario RPG, but this is not a perfect world.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

Partners In Time is regarded as the only "okay" one in the series. The other two are fantastic. They're not Mario RPG, but this is not a perfect world.

Thanks. I tend to enjoy playing games much later when they are out. Whenever the new Zelda comes out, it's supposed to be the greatest thing ever and everyone goes apeshit how it's the best thing since A Link to the Past and then 6 months later you find out in reality no one really liked Twilight Princess.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Regy Rusty posted:

It's more a test of endurance, really. Like goddamn she just doesn't die. Clone flower abuse almost seems mandatory for her! And that's no fun at all. :argh:

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

I think Superstar Saga is the must play of the series, although Bowser's Inside Story is the one I'd recommend.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

ChaosArgate posted:

I think Superstar Saga is the must play of the series, although Bowser's Inside Story is the one I'd recommend.

I'm going to echo that. If you have a way to play it, Superstar Saga is the best one in the series, but Bowser's Inside Story is more readily available and a close second. Partners in Time isn't bad, but it falls way short of the other two.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Travis343 posted:

It'd almost be funny if I didn't really want homebrew on this drat thing already.

I would really kill for a full-speed quality native 3DS SNES emulator. The one on the SuperTWO is pretty subpar for anything more intensive.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Bowser's Inside Story is the best of the series. Superstar Saga is good but definitely flawed, and Partners in Time put me off enough that I haven't even finished it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Superstar Saga is great but it has some serious flaws (like the disjointed broken Beanstar quest). I think BiS is my favorite too.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I gave up on the final boss of that game. Not because it was too hard, but because I got bored and turned the DS off.
Haha, that's exactly what happened to me too. gently caress that final boss.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I was at it for a few hours no joke. :suicide: Then I found out they jacked her HP up in the US version for no goddamn reason and got all kinds of mad.

I think it's the opposite actually, a few things suggest that the US version was finalized first and the stat changes and stuff were made for the Japanese release instead of the other way around.

And yeah I'll third or whatever Bowser's Inside Story as the best of the series... except for a couple of those minigames. Ugh.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

big mean giraffe posted:

I would really kill for a full-speed quality native 3DS SNES emulator. The one on the SuperTWO is pretty subpar for anything more intensive.

I've actually had better results with SNEmulDS than the DSTwo's special SNES emulator, which is pretty sad. Stuff is still pretty hosed up as far as layers and I dont think anything with Super FX works but you can play Zelda at least. And it runs as if it were a DS rom which means sleep mode works.

gobbledygoat
Jun 4, 2011

Ask me about
Steaming Early-onset Accessperger's

Free Logical Fallacies only in 2014!
Do not listen to a thing I say.

Zaphod42 posted:

Canada has a law requiring it.

America doesn't have anything like a law requiring Spanish.

It is kinda silly though, they might even bring in more sales with some Spanish. And European boxes tend to have English, French, Spanish and German, so its clearly possible. But its a matter of least effort to get by.

To be fair, it is one of our national languages. If spanish was a national language in america it's probable that there would be a similar law.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

except for a couple of those minigames. Ugh.

It was only the Giant Bowser sequences that dragged it down for me. And only then because of the fire breathing parts, because the goddamn microphone is stupid garbage.

Bowser's Inside Story is probably the best one though, yeah. It's a very good game with a really satisfying combat system that's addictive and I can't rate the game highly enough.

Regy Rusty posted:

Only because she hit like a goddamn freight train. Plus, starting the second phase with 1 HP :suicide:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RyokoTK posted:

It was only the Giant Bowser sequences that dragged it down for me. And only then because of the fire breathing parts, because the goddamn microphone is stupid garbage.

Bowser's Inside Story is probably the best one though, yeah. It's a very good game with a really satisfying combat system that's addictive and I can't rate the game highly enough.

I've found that the microphone is more responsive if you just blow a steady and gentle stream as opposed to blowing quick, hard bursts of breath.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

ChaosArgate posted:

I've found that the microphone is more responsive if you just blow a steady and gentle stream as opposed to blowing quick, hard bursts of breath.

That's what I do.

I guess I should adjust my answer. The microphone works... alright, on an actual DS (I have a DS Lite) where the microphone is on the hinge and is actually facing you. On the 3DS, the mic is on the bottom, oriented down, and it is absolutely impossible to get it to consistently register a complete, continuous breath. I can't play Spirit Tracks either for the same reason; no matter how I hold the drat thing, it doesn't work.

And it didn't work that well on the DS Lite either. Just slightly better.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Dehry posted:

No homebrew

Yeah, no thanks.

Imagine this thing on the 3DS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frfbSgE7pPI

I used homebrews so much on the og DS. I kinda miss it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

And yeah I'll third or whatever Bowser's Inside Story as the best of the series... except for a couple of those minigames. Ugh.

Whoever designed the sneezing minigame and decided it was ready to ship as is an absolute fucker. But other than that and the dumb Fawful Express boss (do it near perfectly or you're boned) I really love Bowser's Inside Story.

Also yeah, the Partners in Time final boss isn't necessarily harder. It's just longer. (Also the fact that the Bros. Attacks are tied to items is duuuuumb and doesn't help at all.)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Color Printer posted:

Fawful Express

This is the Giant Bowser event I was thinking of. This fight was frustrating and terrible. You have room to screw up maybe twice -- which isn't very helpful, considering the inconsistent controls.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also it had playable Bowser and playable Bowser owns.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

big mean giraffe posted:

Man this would really get so many people angry.

We don't have a law requiring English, either. But no product would sell unless it were in English.

~~the Free Market at work~~

EDIT: Partners in Time was such a piece of garbage. I beat it in ten hours, at like level 25. It has almost nothing to it. No side quests or areas. No fun. Nothing.

I guess if you load your completed save there's an extra boss or something but who the gently caress would ever play that game after beating it?

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I guess if you load your completed save there's an extra boss or something but who the gently caress would ever play that game after beating it?

I liked that game a lot, enough to finish it 3 times :negative: I just think it was a good game and I liked the areas. Bowser's Inside Story is 10000 times better though.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Partners in Time kinda poo poo up Bowser's Inside Story too because the secret boss in BIS was just three regular Shroobs and the fight was lame as hell.

Unrelated: I'm going to take my 3DS on a plane. All I'll need to do is hit the wireless switch to not have the thing get me killed, right? There isn't some kind of discrete "airplane mode" option in the actual OS options?

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 4, 2013

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

Just wanted to get in on the Partners in Time hate, because I too hated it.
I don't remember much from it, but I hated the lack of an overworld and Mario's run animation looked loving retarded.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I thought PiT was decent but nothing special until the Final Boss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Ugh, apparently the only way I'm going to get the Animal Crossing 3DS XL bundle is if I order it online but with shipping it'll make it cheaper to just buy a 3DS and the game (and miss out on the cool pattern). Anyone have any idea if it'll be in any stores or if I'm poop out of luck?

Edit: Should I just find a Target and pick up a DS for 175 and buy the game separate? Does anyone know what kind of ink an artist should use to draw on a 3ds? If I get a plain 3DSXL I'd like to have someone draw something on it so it isn't so,... plain.

BambooEarpick fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jun 4, 2013

• Locked thread