Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

McCloud posted:

I am also looking for a co-op game, but one where you can both play it offline together on the same ps3. I'm pretty sure this covers a wide range of games, but any suggestions are welcome. Preferably where you can play the main story/campaign co-op.

Castle Crashers is really fun, if you don't mind some puerile humor. It's like a Newgrounds take on Guardian Heroes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet
Me and a friend are looking for a new multiplayer game to play together. We're looking for something with progression, an open world preferably and solid multiplayer mechanics. Some game's we've liked and reasons we stopped playing them if it helps:

Planetside: Very fun open world shooter MMO, but we couldn't bring ourselves to play anything but the space America faction which the developers poo poo on at every opportunity. That and there's only so many times you can fight in the same trailer in the desert before it becomes tedious.

Warframe: A decent parkour shooter but not enough content by far to hold our interest.

Guild Wars 2: We liked this but the zone system combined with the waypoints robbed any sense of discovery, plus the instances are boring as hell and there's almost no character progression from 1-80 other than a couple skills and new armor.

XCOM:EU: This was fun to play simultaneously and talk about all the insane poo poo going on but in the end there's not a whole lot of content or random variation.

Minecraft/Terraria: Fun but there's only so many times I can dig for 20 minutes straight.

WoW/EvE: Great world and neat character progression but the combat boils down to click on something and wait.

TF2/L4D: We liked these a lot but again there's only a few maps and you can only do the same thing over and over so many times.

DayZ: Amazing game which we love but is unpolished as hell and running for half an hour to meet up just to be gunned down immediately got old fast.

In the end we're looking for a game with a huge world to explore, deep character progression, an interesting story/art style and preferably in MMO form. We also have a third who joins us from time to time but she's on a Mac so anything that can run on a mac would be nice. Quality of graphics is a non-issue.

Revener fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Jun 2, 2013

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
I noticed Rift will be going Free to Play in a little over a week but does that include Storm Legion as well? The reason i'm asking is because Neverwinter can't hold my attention long enough and i want t try a new MMO that i won't have to sink money into every month.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Galick posted:

I'm looking for a game where the combat is pure bone crushing and fierce melee. No HP sponge antics or anything, just fast brutal combat in which where you strike the opponent, how many of them there are, and what kind of weapon you're using actually matter. Where if you gently caress up or get hit in a bad spot, you can easily die. Dunno what kind of games there are with this type of thing, but it's been a craving I've had for the past few days!

I'll freely clarify if this isn't enough information, and about any kind of genre works. Though, I was honestly imagining something similar to but better than Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic.

Try Space Marine? I haven't played it, but it's supposed to be all about visceral combat with different weapons you can pick up that change your style.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Revener posted:

In the end we're looking for a game with a huge world to explore, deep character progression, an interesting story/art style and preferably in MMO form.

You might like Secret World... it's got an interesting world/story and is unique as far as MMOs go, but the combat will probably be fairly uninspiring to you. You're not locked into any weapon/ability set though so you can mess around with it for awhile before deciding if it bores you, at least.

Nighteyedie
May 30, 2011

Smornstein posted:

I noticed Rift will be going Free to Play in a little over a week but does that include Storm Legion as well? The reason i'm asking is because Neverwinter can't hold my attention long enough and i want t try a new MMO that i won't have to sink money into every month.

It doesn't include the Storm Legion souls, you'll have to pay for those, but the other new content is included in F2P. There is a promotion going on now at Raptr where you can win Rift + Storm Legion + 30 sub for free by leaving your Rift client running for 14Hrs, I would definitely look into that if you want to play Rift.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Lewd Mangabey posted:

Try Space Marine? I haven't played it, but it's supposed to be all about visceral combat with different weapons you can pick up that change your style.
It's got the "combat is pure bone crushing and fierce melee" part down pat for sure, but I don't think it really meets the rest of his criteria. Might still be worth a shot if he hasn't played it already; there's even a demo available that is pretty drat representative of the game.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
The combat in Space Marine looks like that, but it's actually pretty generic action game combat. There's nothing challenging about it, the entire game is about fighting large hordes of enemies which defeats the purpose of that, and the game definitely doesn't punish you for loving up like say, Dark Messiah does.

On that note, after seeing that post I decided to play through Dark Messiah, and was hooked. Finished the game in one sitting, and it's not a short game. I stand by my previous suggestions, but I believe that for SP, Skyrim with modded combat will be closest thing you get to Dark Messiah. Definitely Chivalry for MP.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Dark Messiah has the best melee combat of any game I've played. Hard mode forces you to be resourceful, and use every trick and trap available to survive.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
I just got off a major dominions 3 kick, and now I've got a hankering for a complex fantasy game with a little more personality to it. Ideally, this would be for the PC.

I'm looking for something with some story and a complex class/party system. I've played some dungeon crawlers (etrian, dark spire) but these tend to be a little short on story/character for what I'm feeling right now. An RPG or Turn based game would be fine. I was looking at the Fallen Enchantress series but had never heard anything about it before, so I wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not. Games that have this balance of complexity + some story elements would be romancing saga, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc

Revener
Aug 25, 2007

by angerbeet

Tagra posted:

You might like Secret World... it's got an interesting world/story and is unique as far as MMOs go, but the combat will probably be fairly uninspiring to you. You're not locked into any weapon/ability set though so you can mess around with it for awhile before deciding if it bores you, at least.

I heard it has zoning

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

TheresNoThyme posted:

I'm looking for something with some story and a complex class/party system.

I don't think Fallen Enchantress is what you're looking for. It's more of a strategy game rather than anything story based.

Maybe Neverwinter Nights 2? There's also the Drakensang series which are kind of modern Baldurs Gate games.

EDIT: \/ Try Eador: Master of the Broken World in that case if you want a good, complex fantasy game.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jun 3, 2013

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

I don't think Fallen Enchantress is what you're looking for. It's more of a strategy game rather than anything story based.

Maybe Neverwinter Nights 2? There's also the Drakensang series which are kind of modern Baldurs Gate games.

Thanks for the suggestions. It's fine for me if the game is strategy based, I'm more concerned with the complexity falling off and I'm only looking for more personality than dominions 3, which (while a great game) is pretty bare bones in that regard.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheresNoThyme posted:

I just got off a major dominions 3 kick, and now I've got a hankering for a complex fantasy game with a little more personality to it. Ideally, this would be for the PC.

I'm looking for something with some story and a complex class/party system. I've played some dungeon crawlers (etrian, dark spire) but these tend to be a little short on story/character for what I'm feeling right now. An RPG or Turn based game would be fine. I was looking at the Fallen Enchantress series but had never heard anything about it before, so I wasn't sure if that was a good sign or not. Games that have this balance of complexity + some story elements would be romancing saga, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc

Drakensang: River of Time. RPG based on a German style D&D. All the teutonic number tweaking you could want with a pretty good story.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

TheresNoThyme posted:

Well...

Pretty much every post Baldur's Gate D&D-based cRPG: Baldur's Gate I & II, Icewind Dale I & II, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights 1 & 2, The Temple of Elemental Evil. Of those, you might want to avoid NWN 1 as it lacks a real party system.

Outside of D&D, there's Dragon Age: Origins, Dungeon Siege 1 & 2, the Drakensang series, and the Avernum and Avadon series by Spiderweb Software (indie dev).

With this in mind, I can't vouch for The Temple of Elemental Evil or Drakensang, as I haven't played those games. Fallen Enchantress is worth a try if you're looking for something similar to Heroes of Might and Magic, as are King's Bounty and Eador: Genesis or its remake, Eador: Masters of the Broken world. But none of those games have complex class/party systems so I'm not sure how they, or HoMM, fit your criteria.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Revener posted:

I heard it has zoning

It has zones. If you're searching for a zone-less MMO it might be awhile, though.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Guess I'll be getting Mount and Blade soon!

And probably Dark Souls. I just want a game where the combat is difficult and strategic instead of just hammering thousands of people with your big fuckoff sword of +5 assreaming. And I -do- play a heavily modded Skyrim, but none of the combat mods I've tried really give it that edge I want - which is kinda sad. Thanks for the recommendations, folks!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I am looking for a PC game focused on survival and character/equipment improvement where resources are scarce. Bonus if it has zombies. Here's some of the things I've liked and why:

Minecraft & Terraria
Plenty to explore, liked having to scavenge supplies, liked being able to craft stuff and I liked the improvement in weapons and armour over time. I am not after a sidescroller though, I'd like it to be 3D in some form or other (isometric would do). I am not specifically looking for a game where you can build, but don't mind if that's a feature.

Darkout
Good crafting, I liked how it was quite hard to survive at first. Also decent improvement in equipment over time.

Dead Island & Riptide
Great combat, would be better with more gun emphasis. Liked the improvement in weapons over time, but didn't really like the shop/inventory/crafting system. Hated how a crowbar would 'break'.

Dead Rising
I liked the zombies and how it was about survival. I didn't particularly like how it had a time limit, or how weapons were too disposable.

STALKER games
Liked how scary they were, how resources were scarce, and how open they were.

I obviously like the look of Starbound, and I like the idea of DayZ but I can't be playing online. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Don't Starve was practically designed for you. It's not 3D, though.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I echo the Don't Starve recommendation. It's 2D isometric but probably the perfect survival game.

State of Decay also sounds exactly like what you're looking for (zombies and all,) but unfortunately the PC version isn't going to be out until late in the year. Still, keep an eye on it.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Are there any "skill based levelling" games out there that are worth looking at? Not player skill, character skill! Do a thing and get better at doing a thing style systems. Like the skill system in the Elder Scroll games, except preferably not terrible, and with high caps so becoming skilled at stuff actually feels like an accomplishment.

What I'd actually like is a game with a skill system similar to Dragonrealms, the Simutronics mud. There were tons of skills that fed into tons of systems, so things like crafting would have multiple skill checks from multiple angles. Dragonrealms is marred by annoying roleplaying communities and a business model that makes my head hurt (15 dollars a month for a text based MUD... with additional costs on top of that...), but sometimes I just want to level up some skills, dammit.

Maybe I should play Rune Factory again. That had some skill levelling going on in it...

Alvie
May 22, 2008

My friend and I are gonna have a retro gaming night and are having trouble picking a game. We'd like to sit down with a nice substantial game and play through it. We figure we'd either like to play an rpg, or something with some sort of co-op. Ultimately we're interested in anything that's especially fun for two people to play through together. Good story is a plus.

Ideally we'd like a SNES game but we're possibly open to NES or Genesis. As far as RPGs, between us we've played (and enjoyed) the following games: Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Dragon Warrior II, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger. Some examples of multiplayer games we like would be Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3, Streets of Rage, and TMNT:Turtles in Time.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Alvie posted:

My friend and I are gonna have a retro gaming night and are having trouble picking a game. We'd like to sit down with a nice substantial game and play through it. We figure we'd either like to play an rpg, or something with some sort of co-op. Ultimately we're interested in anything that's especially fun for two people to play through together. Good story is a plus.

Ideally we'd like a SNES game but we're possibly open to NES or Genesis. As far as RPGs, between us we've played (and enjoyed) the following games: Tales of Phantasia, Final Fantasy, Dragon Warrior, Dragon Warrior II, Super Mario RPG, Earthbound, and Chrono Trigger. Some examples of multiplayer games we like would be Donkey Kong Country 1/2/3, Streets of Rage, and TMNT:Turtles in Time.

Secret of Mana? It's obvious choice for "SNES co-op RPG" but I don't see it on your list.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

Alvie posted:

Secret of Mana. RPG and Co-op! Granted the second player gets to play a bunch of random characters rather than one character they can get attached to, but... it might get the job done for you.

[edit]^^ See, we can't both be wrong.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Alvie posted:

Kirby Super Star is probably one of the best co-op games of all time, it still holds up today and has a pretty amount of content for a platformer. Secret of Mana is also great as a co-op RPG, though you won't have the second character until a little bit into the game.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Galick posted:

I'm looking for a game where the combat is pure bone crushing and fierce melee. No HP sponge antics or anything, just fast brutal combat in which where you strike the opponent, how many of them there are, and what kind of weapon you're using actually matter. Where if you gently caress up or get hit in a bad spot, you can easily die. Dunno what kind of games there are with this type of thing, but it's been a craving I've had for the past few days!

I'll freely clarify if this isn't enough information, and about any kind of genre works. Though, I was honestly imagining something similar to but better than Dark Messiah: Of Might and Magic.

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for multiplayer. Mount and Blade Warband has a deep-ish SP mode with excellent combat as well.

The Witcher 2 has most of the elements you're looking for too. The combat is extremely deadly; a mis-step can get you killed in one hit or combo, especially on harder difficulties. It's all about fighting dirty against terrible odds, positioning, and mobility. Aka spamming dodge rolls.

What mods for Skyrim combat have you tried? I use Duel: Combat Realism, and it does the trick. Of course, I'm also usually starving, freezing, soaked to the bone and exhausted when I get attacked by Joe Bandit, so that may be a factor.

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jun 4, 2013

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Noticed on Steam a game called Dust: An Elysian Tail. Despite the groan-worthy name (and associated character aesthetic), it looks like a fun Metroidvania-ish game. Any yays or nays on this one?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Noticed on Steam a game called Dust: An Elysian Tail. Despite the groan-worthy name (and associated character aesthetic), it looks like a fun Metroidvania-ish game. Any yays or nays on this one?

It's pretty fun. The game looks nice, but I had to stop playing it for one stupid reason. Every time you move, you guy loving sprints as hard as he can instantly, and when you stop, its one of those dig your heels into the ground and screech to a stop moves. If you want to take a couple steps forward, you look like the biggest idiot.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

FrancoFish posted:

Chivalry: Medieval Warfare for multiplayer. Mount and Blade Warband has a deep-ish SP mode with excellent combat as well.

The Witcher 2 has most of the elements you're looking for too. The combat is extremely deadly; a mis-step can get you killed in one hit or combo, especially on harder difficulties. It's all about fighting dirty against terrible odds, positioning, and mobility. Aka spamming dodge rolls.

What mods for Skyrim combat have you tried? I use Duel: Combat Realism, and it does the trick. Of course, I'm also usually starving, freezing, soaked to the bone and exhausted when I get attacked by Joe Bandit, so that may be a factor.

I've tried all of the popular ones and tried combining them in various ways. At higher levels though, it all comes down to the sack of HP gameplay though - I play a full mage with the Apocalypse mod. I'm suitably squishy and have to be smart about what I do, if I don't have a shield spell up of some kind. But, most of my enemies take an ungodly amount of punishment to go down.

Never heard of the Witcher 2, any chance of going into a bit more detail on it? Don't have enough time at the very moment to look stuff up.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Galick posted:

Never heard of the Witcher 2, any chance of going into a bit more detail on it? Don't have enough time at the very moment to look stuff up.

Here is a pretty good video explaining the combat in Witcher 2. It's definitely worth checking out, it's really an excellent RPG in many ways.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Looking for a fun PC multiplayer game to play when I don't have the time (or patience) to play a full game of Dota. Other favourites include TF2 and Counter Strike, but I'm open to pretty much any genre as long as it's fun, has an active community, and isn't pay-to-win or grind-to-win. What's good these days?

Alvie
May 22, 2008

MrBims posted:

Kirby Super Star is probably one of the best co-op games of all time, it still holds up today and has a pretty amount of content for a platformer. Secret of Mana is also great as a co-op RPG, though you won't have the second character until a little bit into the game.

Guess we'll be playing Secret of Mana then. Thanks dudes. I also forgot to add Kirby Super Star to my list. That's gotta be the best co-op game on the system.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

prom candy posted:

Looking for a fun PC multiplayer game to play when I don't have the time (or patience) to play a full game of Dota. Other favourites include TF2 and Counter Strike, but I'm open to pretty much any genre as long as it's fun, has an active community, and isn't pay-to-win or grind-to-win. What's good these days?

Warframe is popular for co-op. I'm not a fan but you might enjoy it.

For competitive MP I suggest Chivalry if you enjoy semi-realistic medieval combat, and the recently released Wargame: Airland Battle if you like real time strategy. If you like WWII shooters, there's Heroes & Generals, and I hear Rising Storm isn't bad either. Blacklight: Retribution is a fun shooter with one of the better F2P models around. If you enjoy asymmetrical competitive MP, Natural Selection 2 is worth a try.

And that's pretty much it for recent games, I think. I'm assuming the kind of progression found in games like Planetside 2, War Thunder and Star Conflict isn't of interest to you.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
A game with capable, sentient and smartish AI companions? Good AI, not good scripting (The Half-life 2 girl was really good in her little scenes, but that's scripting just to illustrate). For comparison i think the Skyrim companions are utter shite.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Dongattack posted:

A game with capable, sentient and smartish AI companions? Good AI, not good scripting (The Half-life 2 girl was really good in her little scenes, but that's scripting just to illustrate). For comparison i think the Skyrim companions are utter shite.

I seem to remember Daikatana being legendary for the companion AI.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Dongattack posted:

There aren't any, and there won't be any for decades at the very least.

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

Galick posted:

Dark Souls and Demons Souls sound like exactly what you're looking for.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Liberatore posted:

Warframe is popular for co-op. I'm not a fan but you might enjoy it.

For competitive MP I suggest Chivalry if you enjoy semi-realistic medieval combat, and the recently released Wargame: Airland Battle if you like real time strategy. If you like WWII shooters, there's Heroes & Generals, and I hear Rising Storm isn't bad either. Blacklight: Retribution is a fun shooter with one of the better F2P models around. If you enjoy asymmetrical competitive MP, Natural Selection 2 is worth a try.

And that's pretty much it for recent games, I think. I'm assuming the kind of progression found in games like Planetside 2, War Thunder and Star Conflict isn't of interest to you.

Decided to try out Chivalry. It's pretty ridiculous and fun, thanks!

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

McCloud posted:

I am also looking for a co-op game, but one where you can both play it offline together on the same ps3. I'm pretty sure this covers a wide range of games, but any suggestions are welcome. Preferably where you can play the main story/campaign co-op.

Pixel Junk Shooter is some of the best co-op fun I've ever had. It's pretty cheap too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Dongattack posted:

Bioshock: Infinite has the best AI companion out there, but for all that effort put into her she still doesn't participate in fights.

I think what you're asking is impossible, since even flesh and bone human companions in MOBA games will appear as completely useless idiots.