Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I thought everyone knew you buy Crystal Head for the crystal head, allow visitors to drink it for free and then just put it up somewhere and drink good vodka instead.

This. My buddies and I tried it once and it became a punishment drink.

Forget to clean your dishes? Take a shot.

Leave your laundry in the machines? That's a double.

Putrid stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

I thought everyone knew you buy Crystal Head for the crystal head, allow visitors to drink it for free and then just put it up somewhere and drink good vodka instead.

It looks like it would make a bitching bong. Just saying.

Booze chat > food chat

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

THC posted:

CRTC actually does something useful for a change.

quote:

- to limit your data overage charges to $50 a month and your data roaming charges to $100 a month

Is this the end of three-year contracts? How will the telcos survive? Why does the CRTC hate job creators :ohdear:

I hate to derail, but does anyone know if this covers mobile internet (like turbo hubs and whatnot)? I live in an area where they've got me by the balls. The best data cap I can get is 15gb/month which is ridiculously small. I'd be willing to pay $50 more for essentially unlimited.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
Because I am sick of seeing this thread derail into a food (now drink) thread...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/06/03/toronto-via-terror-court-appearance.html

quote:

A Montreal man linked to an alleged plot to bomb a Via Rail train says he cannot find a lawyer willing to use the Qur'an as a basis for his defence.

Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, had been expected to provide an update on his legal aid application when he made a video court appearance in Toronto this morning.

Esseghaier and 35-year-old Raed Jaser of Toronto are charged with conspiracy to murder for the benefit of a terrorist group, participating in a terrorist group and conspiring to interfere with transportation facilities for the benefit of a terrorist group.

Esseghaier faces an additional count of participating in a terrorist group.

Via terror plot suspects deny allegations
Accused Via terror plotter wants Qur'an cited in defence
The Crown told the court that a lawyer had met with Essenghaier in prison, but wouldn't agree to represent him based on terms he has repeatedly stated.

Esseghaier told the court during an earlier appearance following his arrest in late April that the Criminal Code should not apply to him because it's "not a holy book." Instead, he wants the Qur'an used as a "reference" in his case.

A representative of Legal Aid told the court on Monday that it is still working to find a solution.

Accused wants Qur'an used in case
A third man, Ahmed Abassi, also faces charges in the U.S. of fraudulently applying for a visa to stay in that country to "facilitate an act of international terrorism."

U.S. terror suspect studied chemical engineering at Quebec university
The RCMP has called the case the first known alleged plot in Canada directed by al-Qaeda. Police have alleged the suspects were conspiring to derail a passenger train.

According to a Reuters report, U.S. law enforcement and national security sources said the alleged plot targeted a rail line between Toronto and New York City.

Via Rail and Amtrak jointly run routes between Canada and the U.S.

In this situation what options does he have? Could the courts find him insane based on his asinine religious beliefs?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Isn't that basically what the sovereign nation guys on the Internet are saying, that they get to pick what sets of laws apply to them?

I don't think it matters that the stated belief originates in religion. I have no idea what they could actually do to respond to "well you can try me for a crime, but you can only try me using a special set of laws that I requested." Seems like you'd have to get a specially trained lawyer too then, because the government only provides lawyers that know our laws.

WaffleLove
Aug 16, 2007

OSI bean dip posted:

Because I am sick of seeing this thread derail into a food (now drink) thread...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/story/2013/06/03/toronto-via-terror-court-appearance.html

In this situation what options does he have? Could the courts find him insane based on his asinine religious beliefs?

Would be nice to see happen. But think of the backlash we'd get from Muslim countries, and the other bs it'll start if he is found insane due to his religious beliefs. If anything he'd probably be forced into some type of arrangement where he has legal representation, or we get this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GGL0qGk5lA

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm kinda surprised that some billionaire in the Middle East hasn't just parachuted a lawyer to represent him at this point.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Daynab posted:

I hate to derail, but does anyone know if this covers mobile internet (like turbo hubs and whatnot)? I live in an area where they've got me by the balls. The best data cap I can get is 15gb/month which is ridiculously small. I'd be willing to pay $50 more for essentially unlimited.
Ditto. I'm in a rural area with an awful rocket stick as my primary internet connection, and I've got a fancy 5gb/month before overages. I'd gladly pay an extra $50.00 for unlimited, if it means I can finally have Netflix and connect to the Playstation Network.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Isn't that basically what the sovereign nation guys on the Internet are saying, that they get to pick what sets of laws apply to them?

I don't think it matters that the stated belief originates in religion. I have no idea what they could actually do to respond to "well you can try me for a crime, but you can only try me using a special set of laws that I requested." Seems like you'd have to get a specially trained lawyer too then, because the government only provides lawyers that know our laws.

So is plotting to blow up a train and kill people NOT a crime in the Qu'ran, or what? He's still being charged with conspiracy to BLOW UP A TRAIN AND KILL PEOPLE. I fail to see how the "holiness" of our criminal code should matter when he is literally charged with a literal crime.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
If he had declared a jihad against commuter trains than I believe he should be clear.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Leofish posted:

So is plotting to blow up a train and kill people NOT a crime in the Qu'ran, or what? He's still being charged with conspiracy to BLOW UP A TRAIN AND KILL PEOPLE. I fail to see how the "holiness" of our criminal code should matter when he is literally charged with a literal crime.

I'm guessing the defence is something along the lines of fighting against non-believers, but obviously for even that to work he would have to prove he knew everyone on the train was not one of his own. Unless the Qu'ran allows for the ol' "gotta break a few eggs to make an omelette".

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
No, it doesn't work that way. If you go to one of the Muslim countries, you are subject to their laws. Here, no, you are subject to our laws. Full stop. And parachuting in a lawyer? Do you mean one that has passed the bar? Or one from outside of Canada? 'Cause that isn't going to work because of above.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

THC posted:

My contract is up in January; I already get a decent monthly rate so I'll probably just buy my next device unlocked at retail because gently caress contracts.

Go order a Nexus 4 from Google. It's an extremely reasonable $310 for the 8GB model, and has been a great phone so far.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Leofish posted:

Yeah, I think we're on the same side here. I am having problems logically working out how he wants this thing to work, other than "Well if you say that our laws don't apply to you, I guess they don't! You're free to go!"

I guess if you're going down for terrorism you might as well try something idiotic like this to be cute. I just have no idea how from a legal perspective you can approach this other than to completely deny what the dude wants and give him a public defender.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 3, 2013

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

OSI bean dip posted:

I believe his option will be to represent himself to the satisfaction of the judge, or take a legal aid lawyer and grumble about it in his cell.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

ufarn posted:

I'm kinda surprised that some billionaire in the Middle East hasn't just parachuted a lawyer to represent him at this point.

Oh, those browns! Always having each other's backs!

:wtc:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

SpannerX posted:

And parachuting in a lawyer? Do you mean one that has passed the bar? Or one from outside of Canada? 'Cause that isn't going to work because of above.

I'm pretty sure that was just an unfunny joke dude.

ductonius
Apr 9, 2007
I heard there's a cream for that...

Lobok posted:

I'm guessing the defence is something along the lines of fighting against non-believers, but obviously for even that to work he would have to prove he knew everyone on the train was not one of his own.

Also, the kill-non-believers thing only really applies to apostates as Chapter 2 of the Qur'an states that Christians and Jews are also people of God/Allah. It actually goes on at length about it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

As long as we're talking about ridiculous hypotheticals, I would love a world where he was tried under the Qur'an somehow but still lost because the courts interpretation of the Qur'an does not favour his case.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

ductonius posted:

Also, the kill-non-believers thing only really applies to apostates as Chapter 2 of the Qur'an states that Christians and Jews are also people of God/Allah. It actually goes on at length about it.

So he's definitely, surely, certainly a religious extremist nutjob psycho.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Go order a Nexus 4 from Google. It's an extremely reasonable $310 for the 8GB model, and has been a great phone so far.

I would like my next phone to have better battery life than the iPhone 4 it's replacing

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

THC posted:

I would like my next phone to have better battery life than the iPhone 4 it's replacing

My Nexus 4 has great battery life. :shrug:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Fine-able Offense posted:

My Nexus 4 has great battery life. :shrug:

Every cell phone has great battery life as long as you don't use it as a mini computer.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Every cell phone has great battery life as long as you don't use it as a mini computer.

I use mine as a mini computer, and mine lasts about day from full change if I do. If I don't it goes 2-3 days

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Same here.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Should I wait for Nexus 5 or hurry up before WIND gets bought up by Telus and the unlimited plans go away for ever?

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Mr. Wynand posted:

Should I wait for Nexus 5 or hurry up before WIND gets bought up by Telus and the unlimited plans go away for ever?

Well, the next Google phone is a rebranded Samsung Galaxy S4.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

ZeeBoi posted:

Well, the next Google phone is a rebranded Samsung Galaxy S4.

Don't forget the stock Android HTC One (http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/05/googles-sundar-pichai-confirms-htc-one-with-stock-android-coming-june-26/).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
How do I get a good phone plan in Canada?

.... Move somewhere else I guess.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
There is a Canadian cellular thread in Inspect Your Gadgets, along with phone threads, plan threads, and app threads. If you want to chat about things unrelated to Canadian politics, take it to the IRC channel.

rhazes
Dec 17, 2006

Reduce the rectal spread!
Use glory holes instead!

An official message from the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control
More Vancouver transportation infrastructure chat!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/06/03/bc-pattullo-bridge-replacement.html

The Sapperton Bar replacement possibility is pretty much right next to the Port Mann, but I guess it needs to feed into the Trans-Canada/Lougheed Hwy anyways. The more southerly choice seems interesting, actually. But Surrey/North Delta's crappy road infrastructure is, to my understanding, not going to be great at accommodating the commuters to cross a bridge over there. I imagine it will be tolled, so those people who refuse to pay for the Port Mann will have to saddle up and deal with it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

rhazes posted:

More Vancouver transportation infrastructure chat!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/story/2013/06/03/bc-pattullo-bridge-replacement.html

The Sapperton Bar replacement possibility is pretty much right next to the Port Mann, but I guess it needs to feed into the Trans-Canada/Lougheed Hwy anyways. The more southerly choice seems interesting, actually. But Surrey/North Delta's crappy road infrastructure is, to my understanding, not going to be great at accommodating the commuters to cross a bridge over there. I imagine it will be tolled, so those people who refuse to pay for the Port Mann will have to saddle up and deal with it.

I've been using the Pattullo more often since they opened up the SFPR. It's actually quicker for me to travel along that to get to my parents' place in Cloverdale than it is to take Highway 1 and the tolled bridge. For the record, I am a New Westminster resident.

Personally I think they should build a new bridge parallel to the existing one because I don't see a reason to not build in that area. We already have an established corridor via McBride. There were plans to connect McBride to Highway 1 via that 3-way intersection at 10th, but I have no idea why that was shelved.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm sure whatever is chosen New West will manage to be whiny douchenozzles about it.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender

priznat posted:

I'm sure whatever is chosen New West will manage to be whiny douchenozzles about it.

Far better than Burnaby where it whines about having to contribute to rapid transit expansion and yet forgets it has the most SkyTrain stations per capita.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The CBC article makes it sound like there's more possible options than are realistically being considered. They've basically already narrowed it down to three:

• Remove the bridge.
  • Rehabilitate the bridge for bikes and pedestrians only.
  • Rehabilitate it as a two-, three- or four-lane bridge. ($330-400 million)
  • Replacing it with a two-, four-, five-, six or eight-lane bridge. ($820m-1.1 billion)
  • Replacing it with a four-lane tunnel.
  • Building a new crossing up to six-lanes, upriver at Sapperton Bar.
  • Building a new four-lane bridge downriver at Tree Island.
  • Building a new four-lane bridge between Surrey-Coquitlam, rehabilitate Pattullo bridge to 3 or 4 lanes. ($1.4-1.5 billion)

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Coquitlam is gonna ram that bailey bridge through come hell or high water!! BINDING ARBITRATION!!

So is the Surrey-Coquitlam one just going to tie to highway 1 via the brunette overpass? That's gonna be some fun with extra traffic.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

priznat posted:

Coquitlam is gonna ram that bailey bridge through come hell or high water!! BINDING ARBITRATION!!

So is the Surrey-Coquitlam one just going to tie to highway 1 via the brunette overpass? That's gonna be some fun with extra traffic.

Yeah it may be a big mess for traffic, really.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
That whole part of Highway 1 is already a giant clusterfuck, I don't even WANT to know how many lane changes I'm going to have to make to get back onto Highway 7 without accidentally ending up somewhere I don't want to be.

As long as it makes them realize toll bridges are the stupidest thing on the planet though I'm happy, since anyone from Surrey would just start to use the new bridge (unless it comes with a toll too) over the Port Mann.

I was thinking yesterday, once you get past the Patullo, the next bridge that crosses the Fraser toll-free is the Abbotsford-Mission bridge :psyduck:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

HookShot posted:

As long as it makes them realize toll bridges are the stupidest thing on the planet though I'm happy, since anyone from Surrey would just start to use the new bridge (unless it comes with a toll too) over the Port Mann.

Based on the consultation, all three proposed methods will probably have a toll. "Costs could be covered by user-based revenues, subject to additional analysis."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe

Mederlock posted:

I'm pretty sure that was just an unfunny joke dude.

I need my joke reader recalibrated, I guess. :smith:

• Locked thread