Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

I still find it crazy, to this day, that Nintendo canceled finished or near finished games simply because new hardware was coming out soon.

It just seems like bad business.

Yeah seriously. Star Fox 2 was nuts. It was really a smarter financial decision to not release the game at all? I find that hard to believe.

For those in the know, what exactly had to be "hacked" in the game for it to work properly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR YOU!

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Yeah seriously. Star Fox 2 was nuts. It was really a smarter financial decision to not release the game at all? I find that hard to believe.

For those in the know, what exactly had to be "hacked" in the game for it to work properly?

I'm not under the impression that the game was hacked, I thought it was just emulator support? Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, since you guys got me started on unreleased games: there were tons on the NES. This is a quick and dirty list of games that I have reason to believe were playable at some point that have not been discovered yet. It's a combo of press coverage, my own research, trade show materials, etc. If you were to include titles that were announced or hinted at in some form that I have no reason to suspect were ever playable it would easily double this:

Ace Harding: Lost in Las Vegas
Adventure Quest
Air Hawk
Airborne Ranger
Aliens vs. Predator
Backgammon
Black Tiger
Bruce Lee Lives
Buster Brothers
Cat Runner
Chip's Challenge
Crossbow
Daemon Wars
Dewey the Dolphin
Dream Team 3-on-3 Challenge
Euro Cup Soccer
The Flash (port from Game Boy)
Ghostbusters (alternate version)
Happily Ever After
Hellraiser
Hot Rocks
In Your Face
James Pond II Codename: Robood
John Madden Football
Jordan Adventure
Legend of Hero Tonma
License to Kill
Lord of Lightning
The Lord of the Rings
The Magic Candle
The Magic of Scheherazade II
Matchbox Racers
Metal Man
Mission XX
Monster Master
Murdercycle
A Nightmare on Elm Street (alternate version)
Paradise Island
Password/Super Password/Super Talking Password
Police Academy (there were two versions, one has been located)
Power Play Football
The Price is Right
Pyross
Ring Raiders
Rocky
Rodan (likely just an early version of Godzilla 2)
[Unknown Star Wars game]
Sea Dog (aka Mariner's Run?)
Shadowgate 2 (designed, unknown if playable)
Shogun Maeda
SimCity
Sir Eric the Bold
Space Ace
The Speed Rumbler
Star Stingray
Street Fighter
Street Fighter II (pre-dates arcade game, probably same as SF1)
Street Fighter II (arcade port by outside developer)
Switchblade (port of Switchblade 2)
Team Sports Basketball
Terran Wars (Baton Teleplay Modem game)
Terror of Tech Town
Thundercats (port of computer game, don't get too excited)
Ultimate Baseball
Ultimate Journey
Ultimate Soccer
[U-Force fighting game]
[U-Force RPG]
Urban Convoy
Web World
Wild Boys
The Wizard of Oz
Wolverine (no, not the X-Men guy)
World Trophy Soccer
World War III

InvadErGII
May 29, 2008

fatpat268 posted:

I still find it crazy, to this day, that Nintendo canceled finished or near finished games simply because new hardware was coming out soon.

It just seems like bad business.

It pretty much has to be, doesn't it? I can't imagine they stood to lose more money by putting product on store shelves than they would by canceling a game and selling literally nothing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Star Fox 2 has a hack that removes all the debug information and speeds up the engine to frame rates. I still don't know how I played the original Star Fox without getting frustrated.

Hellraiser didn't come out on NES, why am I not surprised?

And major missed opportunity on Chip's Challenge. It would have been perfect with a controller.

The Magic Candle was released in Japan, I guess there was supposed to be an American version. Would have been cool, that game was so underrated in the Ultima days.

Was World War 3 supposed to be the Game Arts game?

And was Street Fighter 2 (the one that pre-dated the arcade game) supposed to be the original Final Fight?

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

TheRedEye posted:

And I know for sure that Underground Gamer's project to document every MS-DOS game is missing a few titles, but the site seems to be down...

Underground Gamer is shut down because they're in legal trouble from a copyright enforcement group.

InvadErGII posted:

It pretty much has to be, doesn't it? I can't imagine they stood to lose more money by putting product on store shelves than they would by canceling a game and selling literally nothing.

There is some really weird logic to this stuff, like it would keep the old system around longer when they just want as many people to move on.

For an equally weird decision, Metal Gear Resurgence or whatever it's called (the new one) doesn't have a 360 release in Japan, because it's actually damaging to your company's image to be associated with the console over there. They instead put a Japanese subtitle option on the US version of the game and made it work on Japanese 360's. I'm still :psyduck: since I found out about that like 2 weeks ago.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

al-azad posted:

Star Fox 2 has a hack that removes all the debug information and speeds up the engine to frame rates. I still don't know how I played the original Star Fox without getting frustrated.

And major missed opportunity on Chip's Challenge.

The Magic Candle was released in Japan, I guess there was supposed to be an American version. Would have been cool, that game was so underrated in the Ultima days.

Was World War 3 supposed to be the Game Arts game?

And was Street Fighter 2 (the one that pre-dated the arcade game) supposed to be the original Final Fight?

Oops, good call on Magic Candle. I was trying to also limit this to games that weren't released in other regions, but I missed that one.

World War III was an LJN license, meaning it was probably a proposed toy line as well. No screenshots were ever published that I know of. It sounded like a proto-Defcon.

No screenshots of Street Fighter or Street Fighter II have surfaced either. Street Fighter was in the NES lineup in a 1988 brochure, and the description matches the original arcade game (plus, they ported the arcade game to computers that year, so it was part of that same lineup).

Street Fighter II appears in this same press kit one year later (January 1989), as nothing but a logo with no art or description. My suspicion is that yes, this was based on (or developed alongside) Final Fight, which was still a Street Fighter game at that point. No, I don't think it's Mighty Final Fight. Yes, I admit it could be Street Fighter 2010.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

al-azad posted:

The story on it is told through interviews here; basic gist is that they were going to do something awesome with a Z80 in a cart but it would have been expensive and nobody would carry the game, because it wasn't going to be Nintendo licensed. At the same time they discovered Christian bookstores would carry any Christian game they could make, so it was an easy decision to drop it very early in the prototype stage and switch gears. At the end no programming was done, just the Z80 and some art.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

parasyte posted:

The story on it is told through interviews here; basic gist is that they were going to do something awesome with a Z80 in a cart but it would have been expensive and nobody would carry the game, because it wasn't going to be Nintendo licensed. At the same time they discovered Christian bookstores would carry any Christian game they could make, so it was an easy decision to drop it very early in the prototype stage and switch gears. At the end no programming was done, just the Z80 and some art.

Incidentally, when the current owner of Wisdom Tree took over, I was told by a collector in contact with her that she threw away any development stuff that "wasn't Christian." So if she had one of those "supercarts" with Hellraiser on it, it's in a dumpster somewhere now.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

TheRedEye posted:

I'm not under the impression that the game was hacked, I thought it was just emulator support? Maybe I'm wrong.

Anyway, since you guys got me started on unreleased games: there were tons on the NES. This is a quick and dirty list of games that I have reason to believe were playable at some point that have not been discovered yet. It's a combo of press coverage, my own research, trade show materials, etc. If you were to include titles that were announced or hinted at in some form that I have no reason to suspect were ever playable it would easily double this:

Ace Harding: Lost in Las Vegas
Adventure Quest
Air Hawk
Airborne Ranger
Aliens vs. Predator
Backgammon
Black Tiger
Bruce Lee Lives
Buster Brothers
Cat Runner
Chip's Challenge
Crossbow
Daemon Wars
Dewey the Dolphin
Dream Team 3-on-3 Challenge
Euro Cup Soccer
The Flash (port from Game Boy)
Ghostbusters (alternate version)
Happily Ever After
Hellraiser
Hot Rocks
In Your Face
James Pond II Codename: Robood
John Madden Football
Jordan Adventure
Legend of Hero Tonma
License to Kill
Lord of Lightning
The Lord of the Rings
The Magic Candle
The Magic of Scheherazade II
Matchbox Racers
Metal Man
Mission XX
Monster Master
Murdercycle
A Nightmare on Elm Street (alternate version)
Paradise Island
Password/Super Password/Super Talking Password
Police Academy (there were two versions, one has been located)
Power Play Football
The Price is Right
Pyross
Ring Raiders
Rocky
Rodan (likely just an early version of Godzilla 2)
[Unknown Star Wars game]
Sea Dog (aka Mariner's Run?)
Shadowgate 2 (designed, unknown if playable)
Shogun Maeda
SimCity
Sir Eric the Bold
Space Ace
The Speed Rumbler
Star Stingray
Street Fighter
Street Fighter II (pre-dates arcade game, probably same as SF1)
Street Fighter II (arcade port by outside developer)
Switchblade (port of Switchblade 2)
Team Sports Basketball
Terran Wars (Baton Teleplay Modem game)
Terror of Tech Town
Thundercats (port of computer game, don't get too excited)
Ultimate Baseball
Ultimate Journey
Ultimate Soccer
[U-Force fighting game]
[U-Force RPG]
Urban Convoy
Web World
Wild Boys
The Wizard of Oz
Wolverine (no, not the X-Men guy)
World Trophy Soccer
World War III

You left out New Kids on the Block.

Antillese
Feb 16, 2006

TheRedEye posted:

This is a quick and dirty list of games that I have reason to believe were playable at some point that have not been discovered yet. It's a combo of press coverage, my own research, trade show materials, etc.

:words:

This list doesn't credit the tireless work uncovering Huge Insect! :patriot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-65Fs6Oxt9A

Antillese fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 4, 2013

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

You left out New Kids on the Block.

Intentionally, it was never playable.

Here's something that's probably not on the internet: it was designed by David Crane!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

flyboi posted:

I still have the james bond AUF mem card exploit on a card but it the copy they had didn't work so poop.

Softmodding these things is a bitch. I will definitely be doing a tsop flash on it tomorrow and putting a drive that doesn't sound like it's about to implode on it.

I dunno man I used the Splinter Cell exploit and it was a completely painless install. I know there was a pass-it-on sort of deal in 2007 or so and I'm sure someone would be willing to mail you the memory card and game.

Hell, I would mail mine out but I don't post here much and doubt anyone would trust me with their address :v:

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

TheRedEye posted:

Intentionally, it was never playable.

Here's something that's probably not on the internet: it was designed by David Crane!

I absolutely NEED to ask him about that next time I have the chance.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

JJJJJS posted:

I absolutely NEED to ask him about that next time I have the chance.

You know David Crane? Does he have any A Boy and His Blob merch? That game is amazing, the sequel on the Wii though not as much.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

juliuspringle posted:

You know David Crane? Does he have any A Boy and His Blob merch? That game is amazing, the sequel on the Wii though not as much.

The Wii Boy and His Blob rules. More games need a hug button. :colbert:

StellarX
Aug 22, 2005

Mission Complete.
You are the greatest player.
I think some of those games Nintendo cancelled were actually upgraded into titles for the newer consoles, weren't they? Possibly with the idea that they'd be better off establishing a market for the new console rather than releasing a game for a system that was about to be phased out. I haven't played Starfox 2 but isn't it more or less Starfox 64?

I guess sometimes companies may also cut the cord if they don't like the direction the game is going in.
Blizzard has done this with Starcraft: Ghost (which I was really looking forward to) and more recently with Titan.

JJJJJS
Sep 17, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Not really. He's been a guest at the last couple retro game conventions that I helped out with.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

juliuspringle posted:

He just donated all of his old stuff to the Videogame History Museum, so if he did it's probably there.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

With games that were canceled despite being basically finished, in some cases it may have been because the company never saw a window in which they could actively spend the money to release it and reliably believe they could make back their money and then some. The cost of manufacturing carts, their boxes, and manuals would be another huge hunk of money on top of what they already spent to develop it, and in some cases I'm willing to bet they thought the mercurial and sometimes nonsensical player base they were trying to cater to wouldn't actually buy enough games to offset it to the point where they were willing to just not even bother and just cut their losses. Sort of like just walking away from the slot machine even though you already lost a lot of money, as opposed to feeding more in because you're sure you could win it all back.

That's my assumption, anyway.

Maybe it's not really that bad and maybe some companies are crazy for doing it, but at least that's the take I heard from someone who was interviewed in regards to Earthbound Zero not being released here, particularly since they were going to go the route just like the SNES game in having a lot of pricy and nice game pack-ins. Apparently by the time they were finished, they higher ups didn't honestly see a good window in which the game could be released, so it got delayed and delayed until it was just too late.

StellarX posted:

I think some of those games Nintendo cancelled were actually upgraded into titles for the newer consoles, weren't they? Possibly with the idea that they'd be better off establishing a market for the new console rather than releasing a game for a system that was about to be phased out. I haven't played Starfox 2 but isn't it more or less Starfox 64?

SF2 had a pseudo strategy-game side to it, arwings that transformed into walking mechs, different new characters, etc.. It's a fairly different beast from SF64, and I won't say an inferior one as they both have their good points.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

TheRedEye posted:

Incidentally, when the current owner of Wisdom Tree took over, I was told by a collector in contact with her that she threw away any development stuff that "wasn't Christian." So if she had one of those "supercarts" with Hellraiser on it, it's in a dumpster somewhere now.

How recent was that? I was always under the impression that they made the jump from color dreams to Wisdom Tree to cash in and not out of any sincere belief. If it was recent, huh, had no idea they were still around.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I ordered 3 repros from my man dra600n on segaage because I have no self-control I really want them. I have been waiting a few weeks so I sent asked him what's up. He just today sent be tracking info saying it was delivered a week ago. It would have been helpful to stalk the tracking info but it's too late. I think the postal worker put the package somewhere in the building's lobby and someone else snagged it, which isn't an unheard of occurrence.

This has never happened before. I guess I am supposed to make a claim with Paypal and USPS and say I never got the item? It wasn't insured so I probably can't get anything out of USPS. I'm worried the seller won't want to resend dozens of dollars in repros for nothing and if I contest it over paypal he'll refuse to sell me new ones.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ambitious Spider posted:

How recent was that? I was always under the impression that they made the jump from color dreams to Wisdom Tree to cash in and not out of any sincere belief. If it was recent, huh, had no idea they were still around.

Wisdom Tree games are awesome. I hope one day to find a copy of Spiritual Warfare for the NES.

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Ambitious Spider posted:

Sometime after actual game development stopped, they sold all the rights to a new company. I want to say it was like, late 90s? Wisdom Tree still exists, you can still buy games even (I think they're emulated NES ROMs on PC though):

http://www.wisdomtreegames.com/

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

juliuspringle posted:

Wisdom Tree games are awesome. I hope one day to find a copy of Spiritual Warfare for the NES.

You can play all their nes games on their website.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Bible Adventures posted:

Sale Priced: $7.50!

Available On:
Personal Computer

System Requirements:
IMB 486 or higher
640K RAM
VGA video with 128K
CD-ROM Drive
10MB of free space
Uses Keyboard or Joystick

Does it work on Windows Vista, 7 or 8?:

Unfortunately at this time this game is not compatible with Windows Vista, 7 or 8

http://www.wisdomtreegames.com/games/bibleadv/

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

At that price I'm semi-tempted; if it runs on a 486 odds are good the emulator is NESticle, but in saying that I think Wisdom Tree used weird mappers and I'd be surprised if NESticle supported them.

midge
Mar 15, 2004

World's finest snatch.

univbee posted:

At that price I'm semi-tempted; if it runs on a 486 odds are good the emulator is NESticle, but in saying that I think Wisdom Tree used weird mappers and I'd be surprised if NESticle supported them.

I think this is more :retrogames: than the guy that bought the Wonderboy DVD.

That said, I can't remember seeing a review of it?

Edit : Aha! I did miss it

midge fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Jun 5, 2013

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

So what the hell are these and should I buy them?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/vgm/3849365006.html

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Vegastar posted:

These are early 90s game backup devices that let you bootleg games onto 3.5" floppies.

You should totally buy them, that's a great price.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

They are game copiers, basically these were how you copied SNES games when the SNES was new. They are a colossal pain to get working and will probably require poo poo like 3.5" floppy disks, parallel cables etc., you're better off getting your fix from krikzz unless you're specifically curious about them.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Vegastar posted:

Get those now. That is a steal of a price. The one on the left is a game doctor sf 6, middle I'd need a better screen to see and the right is a double pro fighter x. That one works on both snes and genesis!

The game doctor alone usually goes for 30-40 depending on how much storage is in it

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

univbee posted:

They are game copiers, basically these were how you copied SNES games when the SNES was new. They are a colossal pain to get working and will probably require poo poo like 3.5" floppy disks, parallel cables etc., you're better off getting your fix from krikzz unless you're specifically curious about them.

This is also where the weird poo poo like SMD and SMC and SWC came from, interleaved ROM formats and all kinds of other fascinatingly bizarre things.

They are really nifty devices but yeah, if you aren't fascinated by how they work and don't have any desire to try to get them working to play games off of a 3.5" floppy, pass them up.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Even if you don't care about them they're worth more than $40

Edit: the left is a sf3.. Still decent but all of these are likely 24 mbit copiers

Edit x2: holy poo poo that middle one is also a combo backup unit but only 8 mbit but wow.

flyboi fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 5, 2013

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

Yes please get them, they might dump stuff that Retrode won't.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Links to each unit:

http://swut.net/snes.html

http://segaretro.org/Super_Magic_Drive
http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2891&sid=eef0712ccb1a8e0ca4a9bffd5aae59e

http://videogamedevelopmentdevices.wikia.com/wiki/Pro_Fighter_X

Super jealous younger me always wanted a pfx but they were expensive well after they died

TheRedEye
Sep 10, 2003

flyboi posted:

Super jealous younger me always wanted a pfx but they were expensive well after they died

I really wanted a Super Magic Drive after reading about it in EGM.

The coverage was hilarious, they were like "This magical awesome device lets you play all the Super Nintendo games in the world for free!!!! ...but piracy hurts the industry or whatever so please don't do it."

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Still rockin' my Super Wild Card DX2. Gonna play Seiken Densetsu 3 with translation patch once I finish Secret of Mana. I'll be loading it through Zip Disk. :smug:

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

TheRedEye posted:

I really wanted a Super Magic Drive after reading about it in EGM.

The coverage was hilarious, they were like "This magical awesome device lets you play all the Super Nintendo games in the world for free!!!! ...but piracy hurts the industry or whatever so please don't do it."

It only worked on snes with the super magicom addon which it includes and for collectors is kind if rare. Looking on a computer that right one is likely the snes only version but still sweet getup.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
Has anyone had any luck with Princess Tomato on the Everdrive N8? It says the mapper should be supported, and it looks supported on the "unofficial list of supported games" but I just get a black screen. Do I try messing with the header or try and find another copy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

superh posted:

Has anyone had any luck with Princess Tomato on the Everdrive N8? It says the mapper should be supported, and it looks supported on the "unofficial list of supported games" but I just get a black screen. Do I try messing with the header or try and find another copy?

Is this coming from a ROM set or something you randomly grabbed from a emulation site?

• Locked thread