Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The shotgun slug tracer thing is interesting. The tracers are going to look very strange from a gun that has a third the muzzle velocity of the sniper rifles. That and you can already see the slug projectile because it's loving huge.

I don't see it as being too significant an issue though. Anyone you're slug sniping is either so far away it doesn't matter what they see or is already able to return fire anyway. It might mess with LAs, but I don't see why you'd snipe as an LA when you can close the gap so easily.

Basically nothing significant to performance, so whatever. New gun models are sweet though.
Harasser needs a horn that's just the Blues Brothers theme.

keyframe posted:

Yea this annoys the poo poo out of me in the Harasser :(
Not having the cloak bar in third-person driver view for a Wraith Flash annoys the poo poo out of me. What kind of rear end in a top hat drives the Flash in first-person unless they're Fury sniping?

Also I never realized the guy in the rumble seat also cloaks with the Wraith Flash until Glenn drove me on one (directly into a giant cluster of enemies). Any way to exploit that somehow? Drive a guy with C4 up to a tank or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

quote:

Enemies farther than ten meters away will no longer display health bars when spotted; this applies to both infantry and vehicles.

There are a lot of weapons that beyond the optimal distance don't do any damage. With this change you will have people shotting at liberators with shotguns. With health bars a few shots help decide if the current distance to your enemy is ok or not.
This is somewhat a nerf to weapons that do damage over long distances, but a random ones: sometimes you will get kills and sometimes not, but you will not know why. This reduce the usability of the whole game, and make it harder to understand to newbies. Is a anti-newbies nerf.

Tei fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 5, 2013

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Does the ZOE nerf effect the running speed? I'll be honest, I only use it to run between buildings and open areas. Otherwise I keep it off, it makes me too much of an easy target. I wreck stuff just fine without it. I'll pop it on when I know I'm well hidden and get a jump on a sundie or something. Otherwise, it's off.

GlennBeckistan
Jun 2, 2009

Philthy posted:

Does the ZOE nerf effect the running speed? I'll be honest, I only use it to run between buildings and open areas. Otherwise I keep it off, it makes me too much of an easy target. I wreck stuff just fine without it. I'll pop it on when I know I'm well hidden and get a jump on a sundie or something. Otherwise, it's off.
It sounds like its just the acceleration when changing directions. Maximum speed should be unaffected. If you're alternating A and D quickly, there won't be as big of a change to your position/hitbox.

Historically, its about 50/50 whether they fixed ZOE or broke something else, making it even harder to hit.

GlennBeckistan fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jun 5, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

FunkyFlashman posted:

Would be great if people could share what funky gamemusic they listen to (as vanu preferably).
Personally i prefer psychedelic/trance techno on Vanu with next to no voices(MOON). Disco only fits
(imho) if you mix it with techno.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_rQ6Av0gMY

Also works as NC music due to the high concentration of FREEDOM and explosions.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Nakar posted:

Not having the cloak bar in third-person driver view for a Wraith Flash annoys the poo poo out of me. What kind of rear end in a top hat drives the Flash in first-person unless they're Fury sniping?
I prefer first person on the flash for the most part, but I am also always looking for targets with my Fury. That said, all those critical HUD elements really ought to carry over to third person mode. I find the third person mode on the Harasser much more useful, since I don't have any weapons to personally operate, and it's easier to run down pedestrians with. And while seeing your boost meter isn't a huge deal, not seeing the lock-on indicator sure as gently caress is.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

GlennBeckistan posted:

It sounds like its just the acceleration when changing directions. Maximum speed should be unaffected. If you're alternating A and D quickly, there won't be as big of a change to your position/hitbox.

If they actually pull this off I hope they do this for normal infantry next (since it is probably easier than writing netcode that can handle ADAD properly.)

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Dallan Invictus posted:

If they actually pull this off I hope they do this for normal infantry next (since it is probably easier than writing netcode that can handle ADAD properly.)
As someone who doesn't slide around constantly I'm all for this, although it will slightly nerf popping in and out of cover to snipe at tanks with rockets... but that's alright, tanks have to be careful enough as it is.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

GU posted:

Vehicle Projectiles Now Originate from the Camera

Can't wait to fly. This was a really annoying thing when flying a Reaver.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

The RECAPITATOR posted:

Can't wait to fly. This was a really annoying thing when flying a Reaver.

Just tried it out on the VR, it's pretty awesome now. Flying a reaver again would be nice if I still played. With all the AA not sure if it's still worth playing.

The RECAPITATOR
May 12, 2006

Cursed to like terrible teams.

CheeseSpawn posted:

Just tried it out on the VR, it's pretty awesome now. Flying a reaver again would be nice if I still played. With all the AA not sure if it's still worth playing.

Strafe around the AA.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:
Friendly reminder to rebuild your UserOptions.ini after every large patch such as this one. Best to eliminate at least one factor of crashing before it happens.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PlayStation 4 version of PS2 has been confirmed today. :)

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Arghy posted:

Rumor is its the asian/aussie pop because connery has become so unstable and is generally poo poo to play on.

The ZOE nerf doesnt seem that bad i cant wait to see how it affects gameplay.

Why would Australians play anywhere but Briggs? The only downside to the server is nightly invasions by the David Lo Pan's Light Infantry, but playing on a US server isn't going to make life any better.

Chinese server needs to happen loving yesterday.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

I said come in! posted:

PlayStation 4 version of PS2 has been confirmed today. :)

I really hope they pull a Portal 2 and merge the servers to PC so it's all one thing with a stupidly huge pop.

An Unoriginal Name
Jul 11, 2011

My favorite touhou is my beloved Nitori.
:swoon:

Fuzz posted:

I really hope they pull a Portal 2 and merge the servers to PC so it's all one thing with a stupidly huge pop.

If it won't be cross-platform then I honestly do not see the point of doing it.

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Fuzz posted:

If they did the collective score in our outfits would jump through the roof. Well assuming we didn't take in any of those lesser beings.

A Tartan Tory
Mar 26, 2010

You call that a shotgun?!
No black camo with this Game Update, I am disappointed.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

An Unoriginal Name posted:

I don't see how it could possibly work, what with gamepad vs. mouse.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

An Unoriginal Name posted:

Leveraging an existing SOE property to give the PS4 a AAA online shooter at or near launch would probably be all the reason they need, but I agree that it'd be better to combine the console and PC populations if it is at all possible.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

TUBALLINATOR posted:

AOD and TAS are already playing exclusively with gamepads though.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS
They added the ability to see capture timers on bases near you (or all of them that are being capped?) just in the normal UI/screen. You can hover over the icons to see the time (like you'd hover over a terminal to see what it is, etc). This should improve platoon leaders survivability immensely.

I don't recall reading that in the notes, but maybe it was there.

Also Nova on sale for VS - sad I bought it last week, but oh well. AA bundle is now there (two walkers (sundy and MBT?), burster arm, plus AA lock-on). edit: and the loving nighthawk is on sale - bought it for 25% off over the weekend.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

TUBALLINATOR posted:

It's not night and day difference any more. If they have effective sensitivity settings, which they already do, a good gamepad player can keep up fine.

Hog Jowls
Apr 10, 2004

The ditch is nearer.

Philthy posted:

It's not night and day difference any more. If they have effective sensitivity settings, which they already do, a good gamepad player can keep up fine.

It's going to be a handicap no matter what, though. It's just not possible to match a zero-order control like a mouse for precision.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Philthy posted:

I also think that the majority of inexperienced (i.e. bad) players aren't going to see a significant increase in effectiveness no matter what controller they use, which is something I think gets overlooked a lot when people wring their hands over KBM users being put in the same pool as people with gamepads. A guy getting his rear end kicked isn't going to tell if his opponent is a PC vet or someone who poured tons of hours into CoD and Gears on their 360, and it doesn't really matter. If that guy only ever plays games on a console, then switching to a mouse probably would make them play worse unless they're willing to put in the time to get used to one. I wouldn't be surprised if they let PS4 users plug in a KBM anyway.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

quote:

I really find that hard to believe tbh. Didn't Microsoft try cross platform play with one of their games, and it turned out terrible?

Pretty much all my console friend say getting back to KB + M is easy mode for them after getting used to playing with gamepads.

Gmaz fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jun 5, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
That one multiplayer Shadowrun game, I think, back in '06 or '07, long before the age of CoD trained people to use controllers a bit better.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I cannot recall who but a few years ago some developer invited some hot poo poo console players to play against their regular office staff people with kb/mouse and the console dudes got loving wrecked

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Shima Honnou posted:

That one multiplayer Shadowrun game, I think, back in '06 or '07, long before the age of CoD trained people to use controllers a bit better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8agRMMLf7KY

No, this isn't really the case.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:

FunkyFlashman posted:

Would be great if people could share what funky gamemusic they listen to (as vanu preferably).
Personally i prefer psychedelic/trance techno on Vanu with next to no voices(MOON). Disco only fits
(imho) if you mix it with techno.

Not the biggest trance fan, I find that uptempo/bassy tunes fit the general Vanu theme more. I generally listen to crazy tunes like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idA01SXQXIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZpuJ5sot9A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axir3wQuYBQ

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

I said "a bit", that doesn't mean they're even close to as good as someone who's never used mouse and keyboard before, let alone anyone with basic practice :haw:

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I used to play MAG on PS3 with a mouse. It really is hilariously overpowered, I'd take down entire squads by myself, and that was with a slightly janky mouse that was a little floaty and not nearly as tight as that video.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I swear, the only reason why that whole noscope thing even exists is because of aim assist on console. in the beginning you can actually see the crosshairs snap to the target when he ADS's.

Aim assist is the reason console gamers get :smug: with their leet skills and hate mouse/kb.

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax
No two ways about it, the controller guys would get raped if they allowed them to play against KB&M.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Carteret posted:

I swear, the only reason why that whole noscope thing even exists is because of aim assist on console. in the beginning you can actually see the crosshairs snap to the target when he ADS's.

Aim assist is the reason console gamers get :smug: with their leet skills and hate mouse/kb.

I was noscoping in CS before console shooters were really a super serious thing :smug:

Also love the dudes that claim KB is inferior to gamepads then get their poo poo wrecked. Gamepads are for single player fun times.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Fuzz posted:

I used to play MAG on PS3 with a mouse. It really is hilariously overpowered, I'd take down entire squads by myself, and that was with a slightly janky mouse that was a little floaty and not nearly as tight as that video.

This is one of those things where it's really stupid that it ever even became a platform warrior kind of issue. The mouse is a higher fidelity pointing device than an analog thumb stick, so it's pretty much always going to be better in cases where any kind of precision matters. Analog sticks are definitely better than keyboards when you need analog movement or if auto-centering matters, but both of those are totally irrelevant for your average FPS.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Regardless, they'd probably allow you to plug in a mouse and keyboard and it would work. A few PS3 games allowed that, like Unreal 3.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I really want to see what SOE's solution for aircraft controls on a console gamepad is.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Giggily posted:

I really want to see what SOE's solution for aircraft controls on a console gamepad is.

Roll on the right thumbstick, yaw on the shoulder buttons.

Edit: Do I really need to add :v: to the end of a joke to make sure people get it?

Keeshhound fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Keeshhound posted:

Roll on the right thumbstick, yaw on the shoulder buttons.

You also need to be able to ascend/descend, control the camera, change weapons, enter/exit the fighter, hit afterburners, shoot, and accelerate and decelerate.

• Locked thread