Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

With cameras or just generally, yeah. It's not a perfect piece of media, but it's usually cheap enough that a bigger card's affordable by the time your current card dies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooks
Apr 18, 2007

Well! What is it!

Edit: Code taken.

Mooks fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jun 5, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Katana Gomai posted:

Speaking of that, do the 30 Cent games show up for anyone with an EU account? I got Balloon Fight and F-Zero in my registered games but it seems to have skipped Punch-Out, Kirby's Adventure and Super Metroid, all of which I bought. I got purchases after that (and in between) so maybe they just stopped adding them?

They showed up for me fine, pushing me ever closer to that Wii SNES controller. Animal Crossing will push me to the 7000 I need.

EDIT: Harvest Moon: New Beginning confirmed for Europe.

njsykora fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 5, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Is there no way to delete swapnotes? That's... awkward :ohdear:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Yeah there is, click on that setting icon in the lower right.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
So the Club Nintendo year should be rolling over for this year soon, right? I reached platinum back in December...so will I get an email or something where I get to pick my prizes? I'm assuming I get one for Gold, and one for Platinum?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Club Nintendo's deadline is July and you get your choice of the Gold reward or one of a few Platinum rewards.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Shantae probably won't be upgraded, but they announced a third Shantae game for the eShop a while back, should be out this year sometime. The original GBC Shantae is hitting the VC in a couple weeks, too.

Contra 4 is definitely worth checking out. Aliens/Adventure Time are both worth picking up on the cheap, but they're both kinda short and they definitely feel undercooked in certain areas.

It's also worth pointing out that Aliens Infestation has the worst credits song ever written, and by "worst" I mean "you are never ever gonna stop singing this song to yourself":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5hWNnsLm0

I am laughing so loving hard at this song, holy poo poo. This has to be a joke.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm seeing that the iOS version of Final Fantasy Tactics just got a nice update. How does that game compare to the FFT A2 on the DS? I've never played any version of FFT before, so I'm wondering which one I'd be better off with. Having a tactics game on the phone might be nice, but not if the DS one renders it obsolete.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Final Fantasy Tactics is by far and away the best FFT game and it's not even close between the two you mentioned.
FFTA2 may be more playable by virtue of having hardware buttons, but War of the Lions is much the superior game.

Tactics Ogre on PSP is the only S-E SRPG better than it for me, and the decision between them for me razor thin.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Minidust posted:

I'm seeing that the iOS version of Final Fantasy Tactics just got a nice update. How does that game compare to the FFT A2 on the DS? I've never played any version of FFT before, so I'm wondering which one I'd be better off with. Having a tactics game on the phone might be nice, but not if the DS one renders it obsolete.

Despite sharing the Tactics name and overall design philosphies and mechanics they play differently enough that the two Advanced titles feel pretty distinct from the original Tactics. A lot of people love Tactics and find that A/A2 don't deliver the same quality experience.

Personally, I prefer A2 by a huge margin but thats because the way mechanics are handled and the huge pile of optional missions and content is more my speed than Tactics. Both sets of titles can be totally broken over your knee but theres a lot more that you need to know in Tactics to shatter the game than in A/A2 where unless you're trying pretty hard you'll probably stumble across one of the many ruinous class combinations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Project X Zone is awesome, and they give you a pretty thorough tutorial when you boot it up (as well as telling you exactly where the in-game tutorial is!) so I'm not sure where those complaints come from.

I still couldn't figure out what determines whether or not you can use a special move but I didn't actually re-read the tutorial so it probably has to do with XP. Game is pretty fun and not as slow as some people tried to claim, imo.

hamhed
Nov 9, 2006

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's also worth pointing out that Aliens Infestation has the worst credits song ever written, and by "worst" I mean "you are never ever gonna stop singing this song to yourself":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi5hWNnsLm0

This is amazing. If it had come out in the nineties around the time of Alien 3 it totally would've been my jam.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Project X Zone is awesome, and they give you a pretty thorough tutorial when you boot it up (as well as telling you exactly where the in-game tutorial is!) so I'm not sure where those complaints come from.

I still couldn't figure out what determines whether or not you can use a special move but I didn't actually re-read the tutorial so it probably has to do with XP. Game is pretty fun and not as slow as some people tried to claim, imo.

The super special move with Y? You have to have at least 100% XP.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

You need 100 XP to use a special move. The thing I need to stress because it keeps confusing people is that XP and EXP are different things. X in PXZ terminology is "Cross"

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Yes, special moves are based on XP. Everything on that game is. It's why managing XP is important: knowing when to counter or defend instead of saving XP for later is crucial on harder stages.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Once I started recognizing the music from the different series featured in the game and saw how much care they put into fan service (the non-booby kind) attacks and moves, I was really impressed.

Of course it makes me wish for SRW games to come out over here, too, but I think I'd be less familiar with those series so it might not have the same effect as seeing popular video game characters fight.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Saoshyant posted:

Yes, special moves are based on XP. Everything on that game is. It's why managing XP is important: knowing when to counter or defend instead of saving XP for later is crucial on harder stages.

The thing that went over my head the first time I played through the demo (until I read the in-game Datalog thing) is that you cannot build above 100 XP without using a Solo or Support attack in tandem with your main pair's attacks to get the enemy into that Cross capture/stun/whatever state. Knowing that and thinking about when to build XP and when to use it really did make the demo more interesting for me, enough that I'm probably gonna take the plunge and get the game now.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

What are the odds we're getting that Luigi 3DS? I kinda wanna upgrade and Luigi's my favorite game character so figured that would only be logical.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Seems a little odd they went with the acronym XP in Project X Zone instead of something like BP/MP/SP, etc... With XP, my first thought was that I was building up experience or that the bar affected how much I would get at the end of battle or whatever. Maybe to the Japanese player it means "cross points" or something.

EDIT:

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

As ImpAtom said several posts above, that's exactly what it is. The X is Cross both in XP and in the game's title.
Haha, I'm an idiot, nevermind.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 5, 2013

mister negative
Jun 2, 2004

Salad Prong
I don't remember who on here complained about how difficult it is to get a copy of Zelda: Four Swords on their 3DS nowadays (might have been eShop thread) but my girlfriend picked up a super cheap DSiXL on eBay for a gift for a nephew and it was on there. I transferred that game so fast...

So thanks whoever said that! I would have never known better and would have let that slip right through my fingers otherwise. The original owner never formatted or physically cleaned the system. :gonk: It was pretty much Zelda, plus 78 pictures of a fat kid flipping off the camera. :arghfist::reject:

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

JazzFlight posted:

Seems a little odd they went with the acronym XP in Project X Zone instead of something like BP/MP/SP, etc... With XP, my first thought was that I was building up experience or that the bar affected how much I would get at the end of battle or whatever. Maybe to the Japanese player it means "cross points" or something.

As ImpAtom said several posts above, that's exactly what it is. The X is Cross both in XP and in the game's title.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Only just got a 3DS a few days ago since it was a birthday gift and have been having a blast with Fire Emblem, never played one before and only ended up with it because it was like £15 more for the bundle than just a 3DS. But yeah, games awesome, never played one before and I feel like I've seriously missed out.

Anyway, decided to try that Project X Zone game and, uh, what just happened? Felt like playing MvC3 for the first time, you hit a couple buttons and the screen erupts in colour and you don't know if it's good or bad but you know you want to hit buttons more.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Metal Gear posted:

Well gently caress, somehow my SD card in my 3DS got corrupted. I'm not really sure how it happened, I just opened it up one day and the games I downloaded off the eShop just didn't appear. My computer was still able to read the card, so I transferred the data off, reset the card, and then transferred it back on hoping it would work out, but no luck. I ended up having to redownload my eShop games and lost all my saves. Anyone else have this happen to them?

This happened to a friend of mine and he's pretty sure that it was Swapnote related. Anyway, it's also why I've decided not to get Animal Crossing digitally, an idea I was completely sold on. Losing Animal Crossing data would be the worst.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

When you boot the game, the voices say "Project-u Crossu Zone" :v:

That's how I figured it out. It took me a minute too.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Metal Gear posted:

Well gently caress, somehow my SD card in my 3DS got corrupted. I'm not really sure how it happened, I just opened it up one day and the games I downloaded off the eShop just didn't appear. My computer was still able to read the card, so I transferred the data off, reset the card, and then transferred it back on hoping it would work out, but no luck. I ended up having to redownload my eShop games and lost all my saves. Anyone else have this happen to them?

I had a similar problem with my 3DS complaining about data corruption a few days ago, although in my case I was able to fix it by backing up all the data and reformatting the card. It happened immediately after quitting out of a session of Kirby and the Amazing Mirror. I no longer trust the 3DS's janky-rear end GBA emulation not to destroy all my saved games.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Wait, so it's pronounced Cross Pee? Like when youre at the trough and you get a bit too close to the dude next to you and then something horrible happens?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

and then it hit me."

Gutcruncher posted:

Wait, so it's pronounced Cross Pee? Like when youre at the trough and you get a bit too close to the dude next to you and then something horrible happens?

Well I think you would just say Cross Points, really. Also don't X the streams, bro.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Most of you haven't had SD card problems, right? I intend to be very careful but it's literally too convenient to have stuff on hand all the time without having to switch card, particularly Animal Crossing and Pokémon.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

It's XP or "Cross Points." Such is the way of Japan.

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Most of you haven't had SD card problems, right? I intend to be very careful but it's literally too convenient to have stuff on hand all the time without having to switch card, particularly Animal Crossing and Pokémon.

Not a one.

If you're really worried you can back up save data for anything not named Animal Crossing from what I recall. You may even be able to back up animal crossing if you just copy the data to your hard drive and back again but I'm not sure.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I haven't had any problems but I've only had my system for like a month now. I did accidentally pop out the sd card when it was still on once and everything was fine. I have been backing my card up on my pc every once in awhile though just to be safe.

Didn't people determine that AC saves aren't even on the card though?

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
I've had my system since launch and haven't had any sort of problem with the SD card.

Balcony
Sep 8, 2005
Dear Deidre...
So have there been any notable bad/medicore reviews of the new Animal Crossing yet?

At the moment I'm thinking it is just basically going to be the same game which I loved, but already played to death on the Gamecube and DS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Balcony posted:

So have there been any notable bad/medicore reviews of the new Animal Crossing yet?

At the moment I'm thinking it is just basically going to be the same game which I loved, but already played to death on the Gamecube and DS.

This is accurate. It is more of the same with improvements.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ImpAtom posted:

It's XP or "Cross Points." Such is the way of Japan.

To be fair to them, we do have Ped. X-ings here in America, or RR X-Ings for that matter.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Balcony posted:

From what I've read/heard about it so far, this more or less sums it up. It really just comes down to whether or not you want to play more Animal Crossing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
AC:NL seems to be more of the same. If you enjoyed the previous games, you'll love this one. Lots of new content and features for fans of the series, but nothing groundbreaking that will make you like it if you didn't before. I for one can't wait.

33 things to know before playing AC:NL:
http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/3DS/Animal+Crossing%3A+New+Leaf/feature.asp?c=51299

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
They're on the card but checked with the system.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Balcony posted:

It seems most of the reviews mention that they skipped Wild World and/or City Folk and seems fresh if you haven't played in a while. I'm still deciding if I should get this or wait for the Wii U version as I hate how the 3DS (XL too) feels in my hands. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

So I pretty much have everything I want for current 3ds games I think. What are some DS games I should get since I didn't have that system? I already have Chrono Trigger, FF 4 and Bowser's Inside Story. I am thinking of getting The World Ends With You and Castlevania Order of Ecclesia and am open to any other suggestions.

I'm not really interested in 999/VLR just because the whole video game novel thing doesn't really call out to me.

• Locked thread