Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

SilverMike posted:

That'd be nice except it was at -5 so -4 still ain't happening for anyone else.

And just in case it was missed in my earlier edit, does anyone know how you'd trade pledge levels with someone? Trying to time it through KS would be way too risky...

Find someone trust worthy to act as an escrow and trade the account codes after the kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pieces
Jan 25, 2011
I'm in at the DC level, might switch to Collector but its easier to go DC -> Collector than vice versa.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Is there any kind of guarantee that the people in the -4 positions of the Pro Player will actually get their reward tier?

I'm wondering that if five people drop, and I pile onto it with the rest of the pack and I end up as one of the negatives, will it charge my $250 pledge and not give the tier? Because that would be...a bit of a bummer.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Vincent Valentine posted:

Is there any kind of guarantee that the people in the -4 positions of the Pro Player will actually get their reward tier?

I'm wondering that if five people drop, and I pile onto it with the rest of the pack and I end up as one of the negatives, will it charge my $250 pledge and not give the tier? Because that would be...a bit of a bummer.

There's no physical limitation on the number of PPs. I strongly suspect that for the handful of oversubscriptions that there could possibly be, CZE will honour them. They're in for a massive PR shitstorm if they don't, frankly.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.
I suspect we will see an above average number of people drop in the last hours. Not out of fear of the failure/quality, but in regards to the type of people who are attracted to these games.

nerox
May 20, 2001
Well looks like a good thing I upped to DC earlier this week just in case.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Foma posted:

I suspect we will see an above average number of people drop in the last hours. Not out of fear of the failure/quality, but in regards to the type of people who are attracted to these games.
I've been seriously debating dropping my personal grand king pledge. Not because I doubt the game, but because I doubt I will remain interested. I quit magic pretty quickly every time. I could probably put the funds elsewhere.

$500 is a nice chess set, enough books for years, and a new monitor.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 6, 2013

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Tamba posted:

The worded it a bit strangely, but I still think The Moon Monster's interpretation is correct
http://www.twitch.tv/hextcg/b/412717902 ,after 3:25

what he is trying to say is "you don't get two of the same item, you get to roll twice"

After listening to this I believe what he was trying to say was that

-You don't roll once and get that dropx2. Rather, you roll twice and get one drop for each roll-

I could be wrong, but considering the description on the kickstarter page says you get extra items, NOT better items I'm pretty sure that's what he was getting at.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

The Moon Monster posted:

After listening to this I believe what he was trying to say was that

-You don't roll once and get that dropx2. Rather, you roll twice and get one drop for each roll-

I could be wrong, but considering the description on the kickstarter page says you get extra items, NOT better items I'm pretty sure that's what he was getting at.
I'm positive he means you get two shots at the loot table instead of one. If blank spaces exist on the table, then there you go. Chances are best that there are no blanks, just the standard fare of rarity tiers for mmo items.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

I gave it another listen, carefully this time. His wording is too ambiguous to definitively say one way or the other how the DC +100% works. It'd be nice to get double loot but until further confirmation I'd conservatively lean toward one drop, two shots at a good rarity.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

No, there's a 0% chance that you only get one drop, because there would be a massive PR shitstorm about it. That blatantly contradicts the description of the Dungeon Crawler bonus, which is explicitly +100% loot. Two rolls, one drop is +0% loot.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zurai posted:

No, there's a 0% chance that you only get one drop, because there would be a massive PR shitstorm about it. That blatantly contradicts the description of the Dungeon Crawler bonus, which is explicitly +100% loot. Two rolls, one drop is +0% loot.

Yeah, the ONLY time they've given an explanation where "You roll twice and take the better roll" MIGHT be the case is a sort of ambiguous statement in that video, which plenty of people don't even interpret that way. In every other explanation, most importantly the one on the kickstarter frontpage itself, it's pretty clear that you get MORE loot. If they do mean you roll twice and get the better roll, I'd imagine so many people will get pissed off at the misleading kickstarter description that they'll change it anyway.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Zurai posted:

Well, you can get 1 drop in so far as they've explicitly said that some rolls on some loot tables will be "nothing."

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010

Karnegal posted:

Well, you can get 1 drop in so far as they've explicitly said that some rolls on some loot tables will be "nothing."

I can see that for minor encounters in dungeons. I sure hope that there isn't a chance to get nothing from bosses, though.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Kubert posted:

I can see that for minor encounters in dungeons. I sure hope that there isn't a chance to get nothing from bosses, though.

Well, I've heard mention that early dungeons can have all of one duel in them so... yeah.

Edit: Also, we've reached the 2.1m stretch goal, with the 160k from Paypal.

DMW45 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 6, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

pumpinglemma posted:

Ooh, that's nice. Apparently the booster RNG is going to be tuned towards making compelling drafts, mimicking hoppers in paper TCGs.

e: goddammit

Can someone dumb this down for me? Does this imply that cards in boosters are actually not going to be randomly generated? How would you tune a pack of cards for a draft if you pass the pack after each card pick? My brain :psyduck:

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

katkillad2 posted:

Can someone dumb this down for me? Does this imply that cards in boosters are actually not going to be randomly generated? How would you tune a pack of cards for a draft if you pass the pack after each card pick? My brain :psyduck:

Are you saying you expect that every draft pick will be completely randomly generated? That I'll open a pack of 15 cards, take one and the next person will get a completely different set of 14 cards?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
It's talking about the way cards are put into the pack in the first place will mimic the way they would have been "randomly" packed if they were done on a mechanical hopper

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

Basically, there is no cost effective way to truly randomize a printed booster pack, so the printers have a bunch of mixed up printsheets that they print to give the illusion of a random distribution. There is a pattern, but it's very complex and it won't be obvious a pattern exists unless you open hundreds of packs. The set designers use this to their advantage for limited and lay the sheets out so that the common/uncommon sheets will have a good mix of cards for drafting purposes, and ensures no packs exist that contain nothing but unusable crap. This is what they mean when they refer to the packs being "tuned for drafting".

In a related case, there is an entire community that engages in something called box mapping, which attempts to predict what rares you will open up in a given box. Basically, you open 3 or 4 "key packs" and their position in the box can inform you which packs have what rare in that box. People use this to their advantage by cherry-picking the packs with money rares, and selling off the crap rares individually, still sealed in their boosters. Due to the risk of unscrupulous stores engaging in this practice, you should always purchase packs sealed in Booster Boxes when possible.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

katkillad2 posted:

In real life TCG's there are print runs which usually mean that certain cards have a higher frequency of appearing in relation to one another. It also does things like minimize the amount of time you get all of the commons or uncommons in the same color. I assume they're emulating this the same way that MTGO does.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Zonekeeper posted:

Basically, there is no cost effective way to truly randomize a printed booster pack, so the printers have a bunch of mixed up printsheets that they print to give the illusion of a random distribution. There is a pattern, but it's very complex and it won't be obvious a pattern exists unless you open hundreds of packs. The set designers use this to their advantage for limited and lay the sheets out so that the common/uncommon sheets will have a good mix of cards for drafting purposes, and ensures no packs exist that contain nothing but unusable crap. This is what they mean when they refer to the packs being "tuned for drafting".

In a related case, there is an entire community that engages in something called box mapping, which attempts to predict what rares you will open up in a given box. Basically, you open 3 or 4 "key packs" and their position in the box can inform you which packs have what rare in that box. People use this to their advantage by cherry-picking the packs with money rares, and selling off the crap rares individually, still sealed in their boosters. Due to the risk of unscrupulous stores engaging in this practice, you should always purchase packs sealed in Booster Boxes when possible.

Oooh I get it now. When I was a kid and collected baseball cards the same kinds of things were talked about. Like "x rare baseball card usually shows up 4 packs deep on the top right of a new box" kind of thing. So even though this is digital they think it's best to have a formula/pattern used to determine cards in boosters rather than being actually random.

I guess that's alright, my first thought is it seems weird to adapt a system created due to the limitations of trying to make things appear to be random when they technically aren't...but i've never made a TCG and people seem to think it helps in drafts so ok.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

katkillad2 posted:

Oooh I get it now. When I was a kid and collected baseball cards the same kinds of things were talked about. Like "x rare baseball card usually shows up 4 packs deep on the top right of a new box" kind of thing. So even though this is digital they think it's best to have a formula/pattern used to determine cards in boosters rather than being actually random.

I guess that's alright, my first thought is it seems weird to adapt a system created due to the limitations of trying to make things appear to be random when they technically aren't...but i've never made a TCG and people seem to think it helps in drafts so ok.

Well think of it this way. In a truly random back you wont get an even distribution of colors. You end up with a much higher variance leading to packs that may contain 50% blue 25% red 25% white cards, with no green or black in the pack. Now this can still happen but it is less likely for you to open a pack that is completely void of a color or completely swamped in another, in a 5 color situation, you basically want 2-3 cards from each color represented, with a couple spots taken up by colorless or multicolored cards. So the distribution while looking random keeps packs diverse which leads to a more enjoyable limited environment.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
In a truly random pack, some poor fucker just got 8 of the same common. That's the problem with real randomness. I'll be happy if they make it so you can't have 2 of the same card in any pack while keeping distributions right.

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

signalnoise posted:

In a truly random pack, some poor fucker just got 8 of the same common. That's the problem with real randomness. I'll be happy if they make it so you can't have 2 of the same card in any pack while keeping distributions right.

The funny thing is that in draft getting 8 of the same common can break the format because the card was balanced around 4 max in a 60 card deck not 8 in a 40 card deck.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I thought you were still restricted to only 4 of any single card even in drafts?

Fallorn
Apr 14, 2005

Grim posted:

I thought you were still restricted to only 4 of any single card even in drafts?

I know it is not that way in most games because the draft itself is a self limiting on available card pool.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Grim posted:

It is not this way in Magic. If you manage to draft 6 of the same card, you can run all of them.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Well I'm glad I should have plenty of opportunity to get better at drafting then!

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all
How do prizes typically work in draft? Everyone walks away with whatever custom deck they built and that entry fee gets the winner boosters or such?

Kubert
Aug 9, 2010
Usually the top 2 or 4 players get prize packs, and everyone keeps the cards they drafted. Because the draft entry fees are only $7, I would imagine that there will be fewer prizes for the top players.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It depends on what type of draft you're doing. They've already announced that they'll have 3 types of draft, I'll use MODO lingo - 8/4 drafts, 4/3/2/2 drafts and Swiss drafts. First off, whatever cards you pick are yours no matter what. Second, your prizes depend on what kind of draft you do. In an 8/4, it's a single elimination where 1st place gets 8 packs, 2nd place 4 packs and everyone else nothing. A 4/3/2/2 gives 4 packs to 1st, 3 packs to 2nd and 2 packs to 3rd and 4th. It's also a single elimination. Swiss is 3 rounds, no eliminations, and it's usually a pack per match win.

They may have different prize payouts, but they said they'll have all 3 types. Swiss is better if you're new to drafting since you play in all 3 rounds regardless, but 8/4 is great if you're decent because of the high payout.

geeksauce
Mar 1, 2011

BenRGamer posted:

There's going to be factions dedicated to PvP and possible Phantom Drafts against the AI for new players.

Did they mention how these "Phantom Drafts" would work? I would imagine from the word phantom, non-existant boosters with cards that you don't get to keep, but you just have for that game. This would be great, because it would allow you to get a feel for drafting before trying a real tournament and would get you accustomed to more cards randomly. This is all speculation, of course. Anybody have any more information?

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I hope they don't have anything like that (and I haven't read anywhere official that they will) because buying packs + paying for drafts is how they will keep the game going and this discourages that - just join a beginners draft and you'll be fine.

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

It looks like the phantom draft is part of a dungeon. Cory was mentioning it today, but he did say that they didn't want it to be abusable.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?
How much of the total is fake producer inflation? I'm going to be $80,000.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
I kind of wish I'd managed to snatch up a Pro Player, because a draft a week for life? I don't care so much about the tournament because I'm more of a casual kind of player.

Of the remaining $250 tiers, which ones are going to be rewarding even if you don't plan on hardcore raiding or grinding? I've got the Dungeon Crawler now, but maybe I want to switch.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~

Grim posted:

I hope they don't have anything like that (and I haven't read anywhere official that they will) because buying packs + paying for drafts is how they will keep the game going and this discourages that - just join a beginners draft and you'll be fine.

Yeah, it's part of a dungeon so you can only play against the AI--I imagine that it's pretty much a tutorial on how they work, though.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
I think more of the producer pledges are real than a lot of you guys do. There are some crazy loving rich people on Kickstarter.

inklesspen posted:

Of the remaining $250 tiers, which ones are going to be rewarding even if you don't plan on hardcore raiding or grinding? I've got the Dungeon Crawler now, but maybe I want to switch.

Dungeon Crawler is probably the best value. Even if you don't want to farm, you're still going to benefit from double drops from what dungeons you do do. Besides that, you could make an argument for Collector potentially being financially rewarding at some point in time, but who really knows. Raid Leader and Guild Master are both pretty hard sells, which is probably why hardly anyone has pledged either of those tiers.

Kairos fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 6, 2013

Captain Capitalism
Jul 28, 2009

We know of at least 2 producer pledges that are real. One person has "claimed" one and another was done on Paypal. I wouldn't be surprised if the fake ones are around 50k or so, because Producer is a pretty crazy value if you want to be competitive fast. 4 of every single card released for life will save you money in the long run in buying packs/cards if this game takes off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Captain Capitalism posted:

We know of at least 2 producer pledges that are real. One person has "claimed" one and another was done on Paypal. I wouldn't be surprised if the fake ones are around 50k or so, because Producer is a pretty crazy value if you want to be competitive fast. 4 of every single card released for life will save you money in the long run in buying packs/cards if this game takes off.

There was a thread on the official forums about this; apparently several of the producer tiers are corporations with an interest in promoting Hex (i.e., one is some sort of "e sports" tournament/news thing, etc.)

• Locked thread