Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

GRINK HELCH posted:

I'm getting the AC 3DS XL, what does the transfer exactly do besides allow me to access my old games (which is not a big deal in the first place) and can I still use my old SD card on that old 3DS?

Also, is there a good chunk of memory left to download games? I tried googling, but have found nothing.

You have to use the original SD card in the new system. After the transfer, it tells you to put the old card in the new system, I think because the licenses for downloaded software don't transfer. You can put the AC 3DS' memory card in the old system, though.

Not sure if it's in options, but you can see how many :sigh:BLOCKS:sigh: your card has left whenever you download something from the store.

e: clarification

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Oh, hey, so I thought of another question that would be really great to get the answer to before I dive in. If I pick up a Japanese 3DS LL, when I come back to the states, will I be able to access the Japanese e-shop (or whatever analogue) from America? It shouldn't matter, should it?

Edit: VVVVV
Awesome, thanks.

BambooEarpick fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 6, 2013

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If you buy a JP 3DS you'll be stuck with the JP eShop, there's no way to change it. It's not IP-locked or anything.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I would definitely wait to register your 3DS/link it to your Club Nintendo account, because it's worth like, 200 coins.

You can sign into the eShop and purchase things without linking it to an account, but be warned that you won't get any Club Nintendo coins for purchases made while your 3DS isn't linked up. If there's nothing you want to play right away, and you want to maximize coins earned toward next year's platinum status, hold off on doing anything eShop related until next month, and then link your account to your 3DS and buy whatever you want.
You can link the 3DS to Club Nintendo without registering it. There's some basic email sign-in stuff for the linkage, and then you can just hold off on registering the code that came on the little paper insert.

I've got surveys/coins for my eShop purchases, and I'm still sitting on that registration code for the system itself.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

If the site says you already have platinum status you should wait until the first of July to register any stuff that doesn't expire before then.
What I'm wondering now is, what's the earliest I can buy something digitally, and have the initial registration survey be available after July 1st? Unless I hear otherwise I'll just wait til July to pick up some stuff on my eShop wishlist.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Minidust posted:

You can link the 3DS to Club Nintendo without registering it. There's some basic email sign-in stuff for the linkage, and then you can just hold off on registering the code that came on the little paper insert.

I thought linking it registered it automatically, but I might be thinking of the Wii U or misremembering or something.

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
If I bought an XL and kept my old 3DS, could I start two separate towns in Animal Crossing (if I only buy one copy)? I'm confused about how saves work on 3DS, and even if I did fully understand I remember reading Animal Corssing saves are going to be a little different.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
I want to play TWEWY but I have this suspicion that as soon as I do, SE will announce an enhanced version for 3DS.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Machine posted:

I want to play TWEWY but I have this suspicion that as soon as I do, SE will announce an enhanced version for 3DS.

I wasn't under the impression that that game did well enough for an upgraded version.

SE still hasn't gotten FF10 HD out yet.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I thought linking it registered it automatically, but I might be thinking of the Wii U or misremembering or something.
Possibly; I forget how Wii U worked. But I just double-checked the "Products Registered" page on Club Nintendo to be sure. No 3DS listed among my hardware yet, but everything I've downloaded from the 3DS eShop shows up. (This is in U.S.A. btw)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Soul Glo posted:

I wasn't under the impression that that game did well enough for an upgraded version.

SE still hasn't gotten FF10 HD out yet.

I'm pretty sure the iOS port was the "upgraded" version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Soul Glo posted:

It was reworked and rereleased for iOS, so I dunno...

JoeMB
Aug 13, 2011

mancalamania posted:

If I bought an XL and kept my old 3DS, could I start two separate towns in Animal Crossing (if I only buy one copy)? I'm confused about how saves work on 3DS, and even if I did fully understand I remember reading Animal Corssing saves are going to be a little different.

If you bought the physical cart then no since the saves are stored on the cart itself. If you got the digital version you would have to buy it twice since it can only be on one system at a time.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Machine posted:

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Are any games (Puzzle, or whatever) unplayable without having the 3D on? When I buy my 3DS, I plan on keeping it off all the time (because I can't see the 3D effect anyways), so I wanted to know if there's any games to avoid.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I keep the 3D off for pretty much every game except a couple where it's used really well like Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 3D Land, so you'll be fine. It's never necessary.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Harlock posted:

Are any games (Puzzle, or whatever) unplayable without having the 3D on? When I buy my 3DS, I plan on keeping it off all the time (because I can't see the 3D effect anyways), so I wanted to know if there's any games to avoid.

3D can be a helpful thing to have on for games such as Pushmo, Crashmo, and Ketzal's Corridors, but I've also tried those three without it and they're still completely playable.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Harlock posted:

It's completely unnecessary. You can't view the 3D effect from anything but a head-on viewpoint, so you can't tilt or turn the console to peek behind things, and I can't think of a game where the 3D is needed for gauging distances. Mario 3D Land is a little easier with it on, but the shadow Mario casts is more than enough to gauge where you're going to land.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Speaking of Super Mario 3D Land, is it common to have like 140 lives by the time you're at the end of World 8? I'm playing this as well as the VC version of Super Mario Land and the difficulty/amount of extra lives available is astonishing between the two. Not saying that 3D Land isn't fun, I'm having a blast.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I Might Be Adam posted:

Speaking of Super Mario 3D Land, is it common to have like 140 lives by the time you're at the end of World 8? I'm playing this as well as the VC version of Super Mario Land and the difficulty/amount of extra lives available is astonishing between the two. Not saying that 3D Land isn't fun, I'm having a blast.

This is a problem in just about every Mario game that's not on the NES, I think. The NSMB and Galaxy games in particular really throw a lot of lives at you. They can't get rid of lives in Mario games though because the 1UP mushroom is kind of iconic at this point.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah just you wait until you think you've beaten the game. You're gonna need them.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Harlock posted:

I've never had a problem with any game with 3D off. After 2 years of ownership I think I've only had the 3D effect on for 10 minutes total. Even the most minor setting at any viewing angle/distance just looks blurry and weird to me.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

I Might Be Adam posted:

Speaking of Super Mario 3D Land, is it common to have like 140 lives by the time you're at the end of World 8?
The maximum life cap in the game is a little over 1000 lives, so your 140 aren't that much in the grand scheme of things.

KimT posted:

This is a problem in just about every Mario game that's not on the NES, I think. The NSMB and Galaxy games in particular really throw a lot of lives at you.
They can be a problem, but at the same time, they are a really cheap and easy yet acceptable reward. Especially in the likes of the Galaxy games they are present less to keep you from getting a game over in the end, and more to be a reward you for doing something stupid or dangerous, without having to be something worthwhile like even more comet medals or star coins.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crawfish posted:

The maximum life cap in the game is a little over 1000 lives, so your 140 aren't that much in the grand scheme of things.

They can be a problem, but at the same time, they are a really cheap and easy yet acceptable reward. Especially in the likes of the Galaxy games they are present less to keep you from getting a game over in the end, and more to be a reward you for doing something stupid or dangerous, without having to be something worthwhile like even more comet medals or star coins.

Yeah it's like a little tease just sitting there on that out of the way platform during an auto-scroll section. You know you don't need it, but drat if you don't want to prove you can get it.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

KimT posted:

This is a problem in just about every Mario game that's not on the NES, I think. The NSMB and Galaxy games in particular really throw a lot of lives at you. They can't get rid of lives in Mario games though because the 1UP mushroom is kind of iconic at this point.

Yeah, ever since Mario 64 the lives have been vestigial; they're just there so you feel good when you find a secret 1-up shroom. They should find a new feature for the 1-up shroom, because lives are entirely worthless.

Think about Mario 64, what was the difference? Die with extra mans, you get kicked out of painting. Die with no extra mans, you get kicked out of painting, back outside. OH NO you have to walk inside. gently caress. :haw:

Awesome! posted:

So I pretty much have everything I want for current 3ds games I think. What are some DS games I should get since I didn't have that system? I already have Chrono Trigger, FF 4 and Bowser's Inside Story. I am thinking of getting The World Ends With You and Castlevania Order of Ecclesia and am open to any other suggestions.

I'm not really interested in 999/VLR just because the whole video game novel thing doesn't really call out to me.

I never had a DS either and have been going DS crazy lately picking up all the games I missed on my 3DS.

I may catch some flak for this, but I actually find the gimmicky DS games to be really refreshing versus the same old boring genres I've played a zillion times on PC.

So I'm having a blast with Trauma Center and Cooking Mama and Ghost Trick. Yeah, I'm seriously addicted to cooking mama. I can't loving stop. I got the 3DS version but I like the DS one better. If you have friends Mario Party DS is hella good, and you can play the ENTIRE game off download play with 1 cart between friends. Advance Wars both Dual Strike and Days of Ruin are amazing, although similar in gameplay to Fire Emblem on 3DS. Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney is super unique but kinda frustrates me because sometimes what you're supposed to do isn't obvious. Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver is the best one they've made since Red/Blue, much better than Black/White or Black2/White2 IMO. There's lots of great Castlevanias if that's your jam. GTA Chinatown wars is surprisingly long and detailed. Mario 64 DS is the same great Mario 64, with a few minor upgrades.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jun 6, 2013

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So, there's a problem. I downloaded the Project X Zone Demo and I have a question: Is this how the Super Robot Wars games play like? Because there's some mega-dorky switch in the back of my head that apparently got flipped to on and drat. The only time one of my units got KO'd was on the first playthrough.

I know it looks like the battles could drag on and on and on from those screenshots shown a few pages back but after I got the hang of the support and solo functions (like, on the 2nd fight) the game started making so much drat sense it felt weird. I was wiping the floor with the Aya-me lady like nobody's business. Also, and for some reason, seeing Ryu and Ken teaming up like bros once more brings a goofy smile to my face, the likes of which I haven't produced since I first saw that old Street Fighter II movie back in the 90's. :3:

Seems like Super Robot Wars might be up my alley. Also, the music, despite how schizophrenic it can get with all the character changes, seems really cool. Ryu's and Kurt/Riela's themes pumped me up to a degree where I kinda wanted to reach for my old Hagström. :frogc00l:

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 6, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Wark Say posted:

So, there's a problem. I downloaded the Project X Zone Demo and I have a question: Is this how the Super Robot Wars games play like? Because there's some mega-dorky switch in the back of my head that apparently got flipped to on and drat. The only time one of my units got KO'd was on the first playthrough.

This is exactly how Super Robot Wars plays, complete with random characters in nonsensical situations and tons of anime dialogue; except Super Robot Wars auto resolves damage, like Advance Wars or Fire Emblem, you just see a really pimp animation of the gundams fighting with no control over it. (Again, think Advance Wars) You get to pick from several different attacks, and they all have a really sweet ultimate attack just like in Project Crossu Zone where it uses actual animation of those characters and not just sprites, but you just select them from a list like Final Fantasy Tactics, there's no real time button mashing action. That's new to Crossu Zone as far as I know. (And a pretty cool idea)

marumaru
May 20, 2013

While we're talking about 3D Land, can someone tell me where the 3rd coin is in W3-4? I beat W5 already and it's the only level I haven't starred so far. I looked for it everywhere.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Random Club Nintendo question:

If I buy a 2nd 3DS for my wife, can I claim it under my club acct and would there be any benefit to NOT doing that? Like if down the road, she wants to download games from the e-store, etc. since I assume you can't have access to e-store content on two different devices.

The reason I'd want to register it in my club acct is because I know she won't care about the rewards.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

I Might Be Adam posted:

If I buy a 2nd 3DS for my wife, can I claim it under my club acct and would there be any benefit to NOT doing that? Like if down the road, she wants to download games from the e-store, etc. since I assume you can't have access to e-store content on two different devices.

The reason I'd want to register it in my club acct is because I know she won't care about the rewards.

Your club nintendo account is not your estore account for some dumb reason so there would be no trouble with that. Estore purchases are per device and the only way to access them is to open up the store on the device you made the purchase on.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

I Might Be Adam posted:

Only items that are not already on your Club Nintendo account, you can't claim another 3DS/XL or game if you already have it there.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Inacio posted:

While we're talking about 3D Land, can someone tell me where the 3rd coin is in W3-4? I beat W5 already and it's the only level I haven't starred so far. I looked for it everywhere.

After the first(not sure if it's actually the first) siwnging mace, hang out near the ledge. There's a sneaky angel block there that takes you to the third coin.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Looks like a new Game Center CX game was announced for 3DS! Lets just pray that someone wants to take the risk localizing this one. Thanks for the region lock, Nintendo!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Stink Terios posted:

After the first(not sure if it's actually the first) siwnging mace, hang out near the ledge. There's a sneaky angel block there that takes you to the third coin.

Wow. I never stood on top of it and waited because I always saw it coming back and doing the same thing. Thanks!

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I Might Be Adam posted:

Set up yourself as the owner of a family account, and each member can register one of each console and one of each game. Your coins pool that way! This comes up very often and should be in the OP.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Wark Say posted:

I know it looks like the battles could drag on and on and on from those screenshots shown a few pages back but after I got the hang of the support and solo functions (like, on the 2nd fight) the game started making so much drat sense it felt weird. I was wiping the floor with the Aya-me lady like nobody's business. Also, and for some reason, seeing Ryu and Ken teaming up like bros once more brings a goofy smile to my face, the likes of which I haven't produced since I first saw that old Street Fighter II movie back in the 90's. :3:

Seems like Super Robot Wars might be up my alley. Also, the music, despite how schizophrenic it can get with all the character changes, seems really cool. Ryu's and Kurt/Riela's themes pumped me up to a degree where I kinda wanted to reach for my old Hagström. :frogc00l:

The gameboy version of super robot wars OG sega came out. Shockly there are only 3 super robot wars characters in this game. Sanger Zonvolt (A main character in the game boy game that came out over here.) and Haken and Kagura (Main characters from SRW endless frontier which plays like project x zone but as an rpg.)

Here is a scene of Sanger and another guy being awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjJkYyMbLA

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Forwards Backwards

Chronojam posted:

Set up yourself as the owner of a family account, and each member can register one of each console and one of each game. Your coins pool that way! This comes up very often and should be in the OP.

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of info that would help me. I didn't even think of that as a possibility.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The gameboy version of super robot wars OG sega came out. Shockly there are only 3 super robot wars characters in this game. Sanger Zonvolt (A main character in the game boy game that came out over here.) and Haken and Kagura (Main characters from SRW endless frontier which plays like project x zone but as an rpg.)

Here is a scene of Sanger and another guy being awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVjJkYyMbLA

We got two Super Robot Taisen OG games on GBA, and OG Endless Frontier for DS. Endless Frontier is nothing like the other two, but it certainly leads the way in boobs and boob jokes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2rxBr-1c7Q

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Wark Say posted:

They're pretty different, really. Somebody else said they were the same, but only in the sense of map layout, enemy and ally units sometimes popping up in the middle of matches, grid-based maps, etc. Actual combat in Super Robot Wars is as active as Fire Emblem: pick an attack and watch it roll. You can also choose to just skip attack animations and just watch numbers pop up if the levels get too large.

Just ask yourself if this is what you want out of your strategy RPG gameplay:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUZjXt__Lm4

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gutcruncher posted:

We got two Super Robot Taisen OG games on GBA, and OG Endless Frontier for DS. Endless Frontier is nothing like the other two, but it certainly leads the way in boobs and boob jokes!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P2rxBr-1c7Q

Its kind of amazing that all but 2 main characters from that game are in Project X Zone. But it have been weird for Reiji and Xiaomu not to be in this game given that they were the main characters of Namco x Capcom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I'm going out of the country for three weeks in three weeks; what would be a good 3DS game to take with me? I'm leaning towards Awakening because it's supposed to have a solid amount of content (on top of being really good).

• Locked thread