Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Clouseau posted:

Just a heads up that tonight and tomorrow night are most of Stern's Metallica launch parties. I'm going to be at the Chicago one tomorrow night.

They're supposedly shipping Metallica LE's now and apparently they'll be at the Launch parties, or at least some of them?

For those of you in the Tacoma, Washington area the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show is this weekend - http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

Python Anghelo is the special guest, and Gary Stern is doing a speech also. From the games list, looks like they'll be a WOZ and some Metallica's, that Duck Hunt pin and a Hercules there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The poster for the events said it was a Metallica Pro launch party, so I'm going to assume that most locations are just going to have the Pro.

That said, the pro looks pretty great.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MarxCarl posted:

For those of you in the Tacoma, Washington area the Northwest Pinball and Arcade Show is this weekend - http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

I so wanted to go to the show this year, but I couldn't get out of work, dammit.

Oh well, at least I can't gently caress up my ankle for life like I did at last years show. :smith:

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Clouseau posted:

The poster for the events said it was a Metallica Pro launch party, so I'm going to assume that most locations are just going to have the Pro.

That said, the pro looks pretty great.

yeah, looks like that LE is at the Minnesota party only. - from here http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/metallica-le-is-in-upcoming-pics-and-video-thread

Someone is also saying Chicago gets a WOZ at Emporium tomorrow - from here http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/first-woz-on-location-in-chicago-coming-in-a-few-days. Which I'd say is BS as that's where the Metallica launch party is, though it would be fun to compare them side by side.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
The dude claiming he's putting in a WOZ is the main distributor of JJP for Chicagoland so I believe him. That's cool as hell.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!
Any word on the next PBA tables? Also, where do they announce them? I just dug through a bunch of PBAfans threads to no avail.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

The PBA thread about new tables is here. They used to announce the tables with the monthly email that went out with the tables. Recently they've only been giving really esoteric hints. That said, the general consensus on the next pack is Whirlwind and Champion Pub, both of which are great tables.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I just upgraded from an ipad 2 to a retina ipad and now TPA runs like poo poo compared on the ipad 2 for some reason. The physics lags and the ball behaves erratically. Has anyone else noticed this? (And holy crap the retina ipad runs so much warmer than my ipad2. Is this normal?

EDIT: oh and there's an ongoing tournament on the IOS version of TPA right now.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There's an EM Friendship 7 (1962?) where I work and a record store nearby has Wizard and Fireball on freeplay.

Friendship 7 is an entirely different game with short flippers and shots engineered to feed the outlanes.

It really makes me focus on fundamentals and smart shots, but the tilt plumb is set as sensitively as possible so nudging is practically impossible.

The '70s EMs at the record store (and El Dorado at Marvin's M3) have better shots and rules, and are a lot of fun. I'm pretty sure I'd still pick Medieval Madness or another SS over any one of them if they were in the same arcade.

BetterWeirdthanDead fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 7, 2013

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Gonna hit up the Pinball Museum in Asbury, NJ this weekend. So hype :dance:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
The authentic experience:

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

MarxCarl posted:

I'll be there today!

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I've been playing Funhouse. The only way that pinball game could be better would be if they had a full size Rudy-emblazoned punching bag to go with it so I could punch that dummy in his stupid face repeatedly. Also I don't know why Pat Lawlor didn't have him go "Bahahahaha!" when you drain a ball.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

GETCHA SELF A HOT DAWG!

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Looking for The Pinball Arcade table suggestions. I have the following:

Theatre of Magic, Black Hole, Ripley's, Arabian Nights
Twilight Zone
Cirqus Voltaire, Funhouse
Bride of Pin*bot, Medieval Madness

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Saint Freak posted:

Looking for The Pinball Arcade table suggestions. I have the following:

Theatre of Magic, Black Hole, Ripley's, Arabian Nights
Twilight Zone
Cirqus Voltaire, Funhouse
Bride of Pin*bot, Medieval Madness

If you just want a few, I'd recommend Attack from Mars (paired with Genie), Whitewater (paired with Space Shuttle), and Star Trek: TNG.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Just get them all. You're going to eventually anyway.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Der-Wreck posted:

GETCHA SELF A HOT DAWG!

If my wife hears "Funnnnnnnhouuuuseee? Bwahahahahahahaha!" one more time I think she's going to cut the power to my home office.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Gonna hit up the Pinball Museum in Asbury, NJ this weekend. So hype :dance:

They posted that they have Wizard of Oz now too. I wanna go back soon.

Pinball arcade posted the new tables will be Champion Pub and Whirlwind

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Season pack 1 on Pinball arcade looks like a really good deal. Is it or am I buying a bunch of stinkers when I can buy the good poo poo for less than $30?

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Crackbone posted:

Season pack 1 on Pinball arcade looks like a really good deal. Is it or am I buying a bunch of stinkers when I can buy the good poo poo for less than $30?

YOLO

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
I think there might be one or two tables in season 1 that I don't care for? It's probably a pretty good deal overall.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Crackbone posted:

I'd say very few tables are objectively "stinkers" but if you're just not interested in the old EM ones then you might wanna just grab the newer tables piecemeal. I've got them all and there are very few that I never play (and some of those are loved by other posters in here)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Hey yo, if anyone went to the NW Pinball Show tonight, can you post a trip report? I want to make sure it's worth the twenty bucks before I go tomorrow.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Eegah posted:

Just get them all. You're going to eventually anyway.

drat it.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

DrNutt posted:

Hey yo, if anyone went to the NW Pinball Show tonight, can you post a trip report? I want to make sure it's worth the twenty bucks before I go tomorrow.

Sorry no personal North West Pinball show trip report here, but there are some online preliminary ones that make it look like a good time.

Pinball News has show setup pics at:
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/nwpinballshow2013/index.html

PinGame Journal has some videos of the setup, on their YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/pinjournal

And there's a UStream of the panels/talks here -
http://m.ustream.tv/channel/nwpinballarcadeshow

MarxCarl fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 9, 2013

DarthXaos
Oct 27, 2010

MarxCarl posted:

Sorry no personal North West Pinball show trip report here, but there are some online preliminary ones that make it look like a good time.

Pinball News has show setup pics at:
http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/nwpinballshow2013/index.html

PinGame Journal has some videos of the setup, on their YouTube channel - https://www.youtube.com/pinjournal

And there's a UStream of the panels/talks here -
http://m.ustream.tv/channel/nwpinballarcadeshow

"The dildo, since Roman times - the Americans put a vibrator and the batteries in it, right?" - Python Anghelo

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/34032705

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Well, just got back and it was definitely worth the 20 bucks. With the exception of Metallica, WOZ, and Circus Voltaire, lines were usually only 1-2 people deep. I'm not enough of a pinball head to give a detailed report, but I think Metallica kind of owns. My first game I ended up getting almost 30 mil, and the electric chair multiball was great. Lots of fun targets and ramps, and the song selection smartly sticks to Reload-era Metallica and earlier.

e: Oh, and I saw a guy with a neck beard, utilikilt, and fedora, plus a fat woman with a Pony on the Iron Throne t-shirt. I'm surely on my way to some kind of revolting bingo.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jun 9, 2013

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools
I'd describe myself as a very casual fan of pinball, though I'm prone to get a little caught up in any subculture I find fascinating, so I really enjoyed Special When Lit when I saw it on Netflix a while back, though I'm not sure what the community consensus is on it.

Anyway, most of my gaming these days is pretty quick and to the point versus the complex control schemes and inventory management that most games are saddled with, so I've been enjoying some of the pinball games on the PS3. The Pinball Arcade is pretty great, but I haven't plunked down any money for any of the tables besides the ones that were included with the free PS+ download. Is it worth it to spend the extra :10bux: for the Pro version of the Season 1 pass? It doesn't seem to add much that I'd miss, to be honest, unless I'm missing something. Of those starter tables, I'm pretty enamored with Theatre of Magic and Arabian Nights, find Ripley's alright and could do without Black Hole.

And on a related note, I have Zen Pinball and the starter pack of Marvel tables, but really only found Spider-Man to be worth a drat. Am I missing out on something with the rest (Wolverine, Blade and Iron Man), or are they as ho-hum as they seem to me, as an admitted novice? Or most of the tables in the first Zen Pinball release, for that matter, which were all kind of cramped and/or underwhelming to me as well.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

theradiostillsucks posted:

I'd describe myself as a very casual fan of pinball, though I'm prone to get a little caught up in any subculture I find fascinating, so I really enjoyed Special When Lit when I saw it on Netflix a while back, though I'm not sure what the community consensus is on it.

Anyway, most of my gaming these days is pretty quick and to the point versus the complex control schemes and inventory management that most games are saddled with, so I've been enjoying some of the pinball games on the PS3. The Pinball Arcade is pretty great, but I haven't plunked down any money for any of the tables besides the ones that were included with the free PS+ download. Is it worth it to spend the extra :10bux: for the Pro version of the Season 1 pass? It doesn't seem to add much that I'd miss, to be honest, unless I'm missing something. Of those starter tables, I'm pretty enamored with Theatre of Magic and Arabian Nights, find Ripley's alright and could do without Black Hole.

And on a related note, I have Zen Pinball and the starter pack of Marvel tables, but really only found Spider-Man to be worth a drat. Am I missing out on something with the rest (Wolverine, Blade and Iron Man), or are they as ho-hum as they seem to me, as an admitted novice? Or most of the tables in the first Zen Pinball release, for that matter, which were all kind of cramped and/or underwhelming to me as well.

I haven't purchased any 'pro' tables and I don't plan on it. I just don't find the ability to mess with operator settings all that intriguing, especially since it means if I have an unusually good game, my leaderboard score won't really count. Just get the season one pass and enjoy some really awesome tables.

And as far as Zen goes, I really liked it until Pinball Arcade came out, and now I can hardly stand playing it. After learning to play well on tables like TNG, everything on Zen's lineup feel's like babby's first pinball game.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

Anyone else able to make it out to one of the Metallica launch parties? They set up the Metallica unbelievably difficult, my game was over in less than a minute. At least the Sharpe brothers were similarly lucky in their game. A couple Stern guys popped their heads in too which was neat.

At Emporium in Chicago they also unveiled that they were adding a Theatre of Magic, Shadow, Addams, and TZ to their collection, and they were all in exceptional shape. Considering they're not on freeplay like Headquarters, they might have a fighting chance to survive.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
So we visited Enchanted Castle in Lombard the other day, and BOY is their pinball room amazing. It might just be that I'm not used to seeing ANY sort of "pinball room" anywhere since I was 12, though.
2 Metallicas, Transformers, LoTR, Ripley's, Family Guy, South Park, AC/DC, 24, CSI, Rolling Stones, X-Men, plus more I can't remember now, and from what I played everything seemed to be running flawlessly except a slight sticky flipper on LoTR that did not prevent me from getting 2 free games and 60Mil.
SO GOOD.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

So yeah, HOLY poo poo! Played a fuckload of pinball at the Silverball Museum. If you're ever near Asbury, NJ, GET YOUR rear end THERE. So good. So here are my thoughts on some of the machines I played and how they compare to Pinball Arcade.

Black Knight - What an AWESOME game. So good. I was surprised how accurate Pinball Arcade got the upper playfield. I even kept getting my ball stuck under the upper left flipper just like in PA! :v: I got the highscore telephone ringer to go off, definitely a highlight.

Theatre of Magic - Also an amazing game. Super fast, lots of great shots. I took the same exact shots I would in Pinball Arcade with good result.

Medieval Madness - The dragon ramp is so much harder in real life. In PA, you can just shoot it up there whenever you want, but at the real table you need some ball momentum or you have no chance. I also found trolls a bit easier to do for some reason? :raise:

Genie - BIGGEST. TABLE. EVER. Seriously, PA does not properly convey how motherfucking huge this table is. It's easily 1.5X bigger than any other table. Everything about it is HUGE. The backglass is loving HUGE. It's long as hell. It's tall as hell. If this is not the biggest pinball table ever made, I would be shocked. Plays just like in PA.

Gorgar - The Snake shot is so loving hard to make! I would get it up there and it would juuuuust fail to hit the magnet. It was hard, but seing the art in real life was awesome.

Whitewater - What an incredibly cramped game! Like seriously, the areas that are open playfield seems tiny. Seeing the ball zipping around on the plastic slides is awesome. That ball kicker is loving lethal.

Centaur - The most radical looking game ever. Hitting the right multiball trigger is SO satisfying. What a great shot to make on the real table. I got multiballs to start, but would drain a ball almost instantly every time (which happens in PA too). This game has a really cool flow, which PA captures albeit a little too fast.

Wizard of Oz - Definitely the most impressive game color wise. The light's are constantly changing, it's pretty crazy. I love the left outlane mechanic of lighting up "There's No Place Like Home" for a ball saver minigame. You have to lite up "RAINBOW" and make 2 specific shots to save your ball. It's hard, but not impossible. The crystal ball effect with the holographic image is also super cool. I can't wait to see what else Jersey Jack puts out.

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 10, 2013

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Genie - BIGGEST. TABLE. EVER. Seriously, PA does not properly convey how motherfucking huge this table is. It's easily 1.5X bigger than any other table. Everything about it is HUGE. The backglass is loving HUGE. It's long as hell. It's tall as hell. If this is not the biggest pinball table ever made, I would be shocked. Plays just like in PA.

It isn't. Atari had a niche making widebody tables, including some ridiculous oversized ones. I think their Hercules is supposed to be the biggest production pinball table. After the novelty wears off, they play pretty boring.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Family Values posted:

It isn't. Atari had a niche making widebody tables, including some ridiculous oversized ones. I think their Hercules is supposed to be the biggest production pinball table. After the novelty wears off, they play pretty boring.

Jesus christ. How many small fortunes did these drat things cost? :stare:

EDIT: ahhaha http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/1155/image-4.jpg

Dre2Dee2 fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 10, 2013

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Family Values posted:

All Atari pins are incredible snooze fests, even the Steve Ritchie games. I remember checking to see if it was an Atari pin before paying and if it was I'd move on, though I would play Hercules when I saw it, which wasn't very often.

TNT Amusements puts out videos of games and here's the one on Hercules. I'd hate to have to fix anything on it.
http://youtu.be/MkiZizOppRI

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Jesus christ. How many small fortunes did these drat things cost? :stare:

EDIT: ahhaha http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/1155/image-4.jpg

The most stupid thing about those tables is that they didn't even play properly. They used a pool ball as the ball, and the flippers could barely even get the thing up the table.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I played one at an arcade in Orlando that no longer exists. The bumpers barely move the ball, the flippers are too weak, the lights dim whenever you hit anything. It looks cool but it's sooooo terrible to play.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006
Probation
Seeing that picture reminds me the next PBA kickstarter is going to be T2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

The most stupid thing about those tables is that they didn't even play properly. They used a pool ball as the ball, and the flippers could barely even get the thing up the table.

They had one at the NW Pinball Show and there was always a line. It looked interesting but when I saw the oversized ball and flippers I was turned off. I don't know why, but I thought a real pinball table that was that massive, that maybe just had multiple levels and lots of flippers or something would be much cooler.