Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boneitis
Jul 14, 2010

Drunk Badger posted:

I've had some time with the T3i now, and it's a pretty good camera. I'm noticing a lot of noise once I get to 800 ISO, but I'm wondering how it compares to the T4i or T5i. Is there enough of a difference where it would be worth upgrading while I'm still able to do so, or is it all close enough that I shouldn't be so picky and I can take care of the noise through other means anyways? Being new to better cameras, I'm not sure what I should be expecting, but I'm enjoying it enough that I'm fine with throwing more money at it.

Upgrading from a Rebel to another Rebel is kind of tedious, as (correct me if I am wrong) all of them with the exception of the T1i have really similar sensors. I would save your money and buy a pre-owned 7d or 60d in a few months after they market is flooded with people trying to afford the (rumoured to be expensive as poo poo) 7d mk II, or the (seeing how far they can drown the line) 70d, respectively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

the_lion posted:

The 24-70mm 2.8 is a nicer lens for sure, but I have the 24-105mm f4 myself and I shot a few wedding. They were mostly outside, inside I switched to 50mm.
There's 2 models of the 24-70, the newer one is small, less heavy and is weather sealed. According to wikipedia, it's a significant improvement on image quality.

If you had a flash, either lens would be fine inside I think unless it was a dungeon with no light.

If money is a real problem, look at reviews of the 3rd party 24-70s by Sigma or Tamron. I'm sure someone in the thread will have a bit more knowledge about those than I do. My guess is that they'll be cheaper, but the auto focus won't be as good.

I would like to look into the 3rd party lenses, I just don't know how to tell if they will crop on full frame sensors or not.

VVV Cool, thanks.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 6, 2013

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

iSheep posted:

I would like to look into the 3rd party lenses, I just don't know how to tell if they will crop on full frame sensors or not.

Just look for it on b&h. It will say on the features/spec list on whether it was a crop or not.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the exact same filter so there shouldn't be much improvement. I've a T3i too and yeah, the noise on higher ISOs is something I'm starting to really notice.

All Canon crop sensors perform the same. If you trust the graphs, the T3 is actually one of the best performers! With NR on they're different, but that's only for in-camera JPEG processing, correct?

Supposedly the 7dii still isn't coming out for a while, but the 70D is scheduled for July. What I'm saying is you should buy my 60D so I can buy a 6D.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Actually, the T3 with its "bigger" pixels should theoretically have a better diffraction limited aperture than any of the other 18mp APS-C sensors. Landscape shooters rejoice?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
I saw something on my 60D last night that was weird. The exposure indicator split into three evenly spaced indicators and started flashing, and wouldn't let me shoot. It's like it was in some sort of bizarre bracketing mode, which I don't know how I could have turned on, but also forbade shooting. What does it mean?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Seamonster posted:

Actually, the T3 with its "bigger" pixels should theoretically have a better diffraction limited aperture than any of the other 18mp APS-C sensors. Landscape shooters rejoice?

For the same display size, it doesn’t matter.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Except in extreme environmental conditions, you're better off with hood only for protection. Desert, near the surf on the beach, shooting from moving vehicle in dusty conditions, rain (to complete the weather seal). The lens is not going to be hurt by dust or a fingerprint, and cleaning it is no harder than cleaning the filter.

You're absolutely correct. If I'm doing something specific and in a controlled environment no filter. But for general shooting in the wild (in the city) or at parties or events I keep one on. Plus a filter has saved by 24L twice - once being shoved at a concert (lens first) into a railing, the other being mugged. Because I'm retarded I going to frame the broken filters.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
It's not a big deal to me, I just didn't know if it was any better for a few extra bucks. Thanks for the advice.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

The adjustment wheel on my Rebel XTi is acting up. Sometimes both directions register as rolling it left, therefore trying to increase exposure/aperture/decrease shutter speed acts in the opposite way intended, so rolling the wheel back and forth just pegs everything to the lower limit. I realize the thing is an antique and I already wanted to buy a new camera, but I'd like to wait for the 70d/7d2 before deciding.

Googling indicates it's a common problem. Is there any way to set/reset exposure/aperture/speed without using that wheel so I can limp along for a month or two? The problem only occurs sometimes, but that sometimes is always when you need the camera.

edit: immediately after posting I realized I have a battery grip and that probably solves my problems. I'm stupid.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich

aaaaaaahhhhhh

Excited.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I read that as a 60D and was wondering why the hell you were paying 2 grand for a 60D :psyduck:

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
It was also nearly 100 bux off at Amazon so not a bad way to go.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

fivre posted:

All Canon crop sensors perform the same. If you trust the graphs, the T3 is actually one of the best performers! With NR on they're different, but that's only for in-camera JPEG processing, correct?

Supposedly the 7dii still isn't coming out for a while, but the 70D is scheduled for July. What I'm saying is you should buy my 60D so I can buy a 6D.

T4i has a better processor that reduces noise comparatively to the T3i and below if I remember right.

Also I just went from a T2i to a 60D and it is such an improvement, so yes upgrade to this man's 60D.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

60D is great, that gyroscope thing is dead handy.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

doctor 7 posted:

T4i has a better processor that reduces noise comparatively to the T3i and below if I remember right.

Also I just went from a T2i to a 60D and it is such an improvement, so yes upgrade to this man's 60D.

It does have a newer processor, yes. I just don't know if that matters for RAW noise. Does the camera apply any noise reduction to RAWs, or only to JPEGs?

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I've got room in my case for one more lens. 50mm F/1.8 II or 40mm f/2.8 STM?

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Drunk Badger posted:

I've got room in my case for one more lens. 50mm F/1.8 II or 40mm f/2.8 STM?

50 1.8. You can't walk back a step and get a faster lens.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Not being able to walk back a step is a good argument for the wider lens. A stop and a half isn't much and the wider perspective will open up a lot of shots he couldn't otherwise take. What Canon really needs is a cheap EF-S 30/1.8.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
A lot of it depends on what you plan on doing with them and what you have available to you already. I have both and if you told me I had to get rid of one, I would ditch the 40. I take more portraits than anything else so the 50 is nicer for me. They both have their advantages though.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

fivre posted:

It does have a newer processor, yes. I just don't know if that matters for RAW noise. Does the camera apply any noise reduction to RAWs, or only to JPEGs?

I assumed it was both but now that you mention it I honestly don't know. As far as I'm aware the 60D is superior in literally every other regard beyond the DIGIC IV vs. DIGIC V.

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I have the stock IS lens with the t3i that covers both MMs, so I won't be adding anything new there. I know I heard a lot about the poorer build quality of the 50mm, is the 40mm better there? Otherwise, I don't know exactly what I'd be doing with it, I just don't have any prime lenses.

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
I would say the 50mm would complement your kit lens more than the 40mm, the gimmick of the 40mm is that it has a very small profile so the overall size of your camera is very small when you use it, focal length and aperture wise it is not as much of a step up from the kit lens.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Remo posted:

I would say the 50mm would complement your kit lens more than the 40mm, the gimmick of the 40mm is that it has a very small profile so the overall size of your camera is very small when you use it, focal length and aperture wise it is not as much of a step up from the kit lens.

I dont' think you get the magic of 40mm pancakes.

Everyone should own a 40mm pancake. They're just... wonderful.

And saying that a full stop or two isn't an improvement over the kit lens is silly, same with saying that "the focal length" isn't a step up. That doesn't even make sense! It's a prime lens, what are you expecting!

Remo
Oct 10, 2007

I wish this would go on forever
Its a full stop+ over the kit lens but the 50mm is a full stop+ over and above that. Part of the aperture advantage of the 40mm is also negated by the IS of the kit lens.

In terms of focal length, you are right, and anyway the 50mm is also covered by the kit lens.

I am a portrait person, so I guess I am biased towards lenses which are more suited for portraiture.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The build quality of the 50 1.8 II is complete garbage so if you're doing anything rugged or whatever, get the 40mm.
Both are great lenses. I personally prefer the 40mm, I think it just takes better photos on a crop body.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

The build quality of the 50 1.8 II is complete garbage so if you're doing anything rugged or whatever, get the 40mm.
Both are great lenses. I personally prefer the 40mm, I think it just takes better photos on a crop body.

I've owned both and agree. The pancake is far from a gimmick lens. It's one of the few great values in canon's current lineup.. It's incredibly sharp, good build, and compact. The 50 1.8 is soft, with horrible build quality.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

The pancake is amazing, I never once touched my 50 again after using it. So sharp.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
Somebody tell me this is a scam. It just seems way to good to be true.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130919459474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ManiacMatt posted:

Somebody tell me this is a scam. It just seems way to good to be true.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/130919459474?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Directing you to purchase on an outside site? Zero feedback?

Yeah, it’s a scam.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
That's what I figured, not that I really need a new camera anyways. I just need to go out and take more pictures.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Gambl0r posted:

I've owned both and agree. The pancake is far from a gimmick lens. It's one of the few great values in canon's current lineup.. It's incredibly sharp, good build, and compact. The 50 1.8 is soft, with horrible build quality.

The 50 1.8 is not soft. And if stopped down to 2.8 I'd bet it's sharper than the 40 mm wide open.

dont hate the playa
May 12, 2009
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3224578

Take this for what it is (numbers that don't really make much sense to most of us) but this guy claimed the 40 is still sharper then the 50 at 2.8 but once you go to f4 and above the 1.8 is sharper. But really, it's splitting hairs. They cost next to nothing in photo dollars so try them both out and sell the one you don't like.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Claw Massage posted:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3224578

Take this for what it is (numbers that don't really make much sense to most of us) but this guy claimed the 40 is still sharper then the 50 at 2.8 but once you go to f4 and above the 1.8 is sharper. But really, it's splitting hairs. They cost next to nothing in photo dollars so try them both out and sell the one you don't like.

Sure, the 50 was sharper in the center (for crop users in particular that would be meaningful) and the 40 better average (so apparently much sharper at the edges).

They are both basically free, and I'd recommend the 40 to lots of users, but it's benefit isn't relative sharpitude.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah get both, why not? If you've got more than one body it's handy, I had the 50 on my Canon EOS5 film camera (RIP :( ) and the 40 on my 600D

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer

Yeah get both, why not? If you've got more than one body it's handy, I had the 50 on my Canon EOS5 film camera (RIP :( ) and the 40 on my 600D

I would if I had the room in my bag, but it's packed as full as I could get it, and there's just one little space that could fit either.

To my uneducated eye, they seem to take the same quality picture. Is the 40's build quality better than the 50's? That is probably my biggest concern at the moment.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Film is by now (IMO) one of those lower cost hobbies that the 50mm 1.8 is basically required for.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

BeanTaco posted:

Everybody get the 40mm pancake.
This is an important message that belongs on page 1.

What is wrong with you people why would you recommend the 50 over the 40.
Yeah maybe its a little better for portraiture but in general the 40mm will behave at least comparably well if not better while also being a massive leap ahead in that it turns your camera into something you actually want to carry around all the time.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I really wish it was a new, $200 but nicely done 35 mm prime and not 40 mm, but yeah I think I'm going to go with the pancake next month too. I love my thrifty fifty but I want a wider option on the cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My girlfriend got a T2i like a week ago and said she wanted her setup to be exactly like mine (T2i with Magic Lantern, Tamron 17-50 2.8 VC and Canon 50 1.8). I tried to convince her to go with the pancake instead of the 50, because she said she wanted a wider prime than the 50 and it seemed like more of a walkaround lens from all the sample shots I've seen from it. Plus she got the kit 18-55 3.5-5.6 with her T2i and said it's a slow piece of poo poo and refuses to use it, even though I didn't find that when I had my kit lens after first getting my T2i (it wasn't outstanding but it wasn't unusable either), so she's confining herself to one lens right now until she can save up for the Tamron zoom and it'd make more sense to have a slightly wider one that can be used in more situations. But she ended up getting the 50 1.8 anyway.

Oh well. She mostly shoots portraits anyway so I guess it made more sense for her v:shobon:v