Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Man, there are some really dumb quest completions in this game.

On Republic Corelia you meet this Engineer who has been making super battle droids. He's not programming them to specifically target the Republic, or really assisting them in killing Republic troops at all, he just likes to build droids. Turns out that he also believes in the Empires ideals, and feels that they offer the best future for Corelia, so he stood behind them during the invasion. You can talk him down from this, and point out the Republic isn't doing that badly in the current war, and the Empire is straight murdering people in the street. So he agrees that maybe he was wrong, and offers his services to the Republic, for the sake of Corelia, but he'll still hold his political views.

You have two options. Arrest him for being a "traitor" ( LS ), or let him work for the Republic to help save Corelia ( DS ). But the only traitorous act he's done is having divergent political ideals, it was completely legal for him to work for the Empire because THEY CONQUERED THE loving PLANET, Corelia is not a part of the Republic, and he's not exactly building the droids specifically to hunt Republic troops, he's just building droids.

There was also the quest on Coruscant where you find out a Senator is planning to try a coup, to kick the Jedi Order out of the Republic for good, and sign away everything to the Sith Empire. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but he's bribed/pushed it to the point nobody outside of his friends in the Senate know, and he's kept it secret from the people. You are tasked with going in and stealing evidence he's doing this, so it can be shown on late night TV/people can turn on him. So you go in and get confronted by a page, who lets you know you are GOING AGAINST EVERYTHING THE REPUBLIC STANDS FOR BY DOING THIS, AND OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE by.....making sure people know whats going on, so he can't slip a bill through without the public's knowledge. :psyduck:

The LS option is to tell him he is right, and go back emptyhanded, the DS option is to expose him to the people.

And of course, the medical quest on Ord Mantell, where a Cathar refugee stole the bases entire Medical supply shipment then lost it to separatists. She attempts to blackmail you into getting it back for her, otherwise she won't tell you where it is. Note, it's implied the Republic troops are dying of IEDs and battle wounds, and need antibiotics right away, while the refugees biggest issue would likely be diabetes. The LS option is to let all those soldiers die, so you can make sure some kid doesn't have a headache anymore, while the DS option is to tell them to gently caress off.

She tries to justify it by saying the planets government is corrupt as hell, and stole the medical supplies from them as taxes, but that sure does justify leaving the REPUBLIC SOLDIERS who have nothing to do with the corrupt government to die, simply because the refugees are "having a tough time."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
You should have seen me and rooker bitching about Bioware plot holes for hours yesterday.

poo poo makes us real mad, yo.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Question, for Shadow/Assassin tanks, should you quest in your normal DPS technique or tank technique?

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Rookersh posted:

There was a particular low level inquisitor story quest on Balmorra that really annoyed me.

Keeping it vague to avoid spoiler tags, but this was basically a situation where you have to kiss the rear end of someone who treats you like total poo poo when you go out of your way to save him. If you don't let him walk all over you, you are evil. This was a guy who was a simple sith apprentice who is no more connected than you are, not a darth or whatever, so there is no reason to take his poo poo. I don't know why this one quest in particular bothered me, because I'm used to these limited black/white choices from every other Bioware game, but whatever.

Place Ad Here
Mar 15, 2005

Red Crown posted:

Question, for Shadow/Assassin tanks, should you quest in your normal DPS technique or tank technique?

If you are tank spec stay in tank stance. You get next to no benefit from other stances if you aren't speced into it.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
What always gets me is in FPs where when you chose let's say DS but some guy won over with LS, you don't ever seem to get a line in the way of "I didn't ask for this" when the event is referred to later on.

So all you can do is say that this good thing had to be done event though you're character was not in favor of it at all. It wouldn't have been hard to add a neutral line allowing you to distance yourself from it.

Also it's so goddamn hard to leave Ashara behind in the Esseles FP since the game forces you to succeed at 2 dialogue rolls while the LS option is insta-win. And there is always someone to gently caress it up :smith:

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005
Professional Idiot - When to comes to stupid, we don't fuck around!
Bah this really sucks. After reading this thread as well as being inspired to come back to check out some of the new character armor for San Diego Comic Con costume ideas, my wife and I reactivated our TOR accounts to see how things have come along. She has a 50 Sorcerer and I have my 50 Juggernaut so we're well set for getting to 55.

Just as we're getting a taste for Makeb, BAM, we're hit with this mysterious connectivity problem :( It only really seems to affect us in the PST PM time zone. It makes the game unplayable however. Constant crashes, total unresponsiveness, the works. What a let down. We were really impressed with the improvements thus far and really getting excited about our return.

I hope it gets resolved soon.

[EDIT] Oh and one more thing. Could any Juggs out there recommend a solid plan for me if I was to say respec to Immortal at 54-55 so I could go back to tanking Flashpoints and Operations? All my gear is old rank 56-58 mods for the most part from Columi and Rakata and my PvP gear is all old Champion stuff. I'm slowly building up some Classic, Basic and Warzone Comms (both regular and ranked). What's a good plan of attack for re-gearing to fit this role taking the new game climate into account? Any help is sincerely appreciated.

We're on Bergern Colony is anyone else happens to be as well.

DJDace fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jun 7, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Beergern Colony represent! If you add Deskrin, he's a level Sniper 40 I have. Only imperial I have currently, since I deleted my Marauder.

As for the connection error - who do you have internet through? Apparently Comcast(? I think) has been having a lot of issues with connecting to SWTOR.

Edit: As for gear, you can buy Rakata tier mods on the fleet for fleet commendations (the ones you earn from level 1-50 content.) That'll let you tank some of the 55 HM FPs, or 50 Ops, though not the most easily for the 55 ones. Unfortunately, you're pretty much the worst tank class as of the current state of the game, and that means being undergeared is a bit worse for you.

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 7, 2013

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Rookersh posted:

There was also the quest on Coruscant where you find out a Senator is planning to try a coup, to kick the Jedi Order out of the Republic for good, and sign away everything to the Sith Empire. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but he's bribed/pushed it to the point nobody outside of his friends in the Senate know, and he's kept it secret from the people. You are tasked with going in and stealing evidence he's doing this, so it can be shown on late night TV/people can turn on him. So you go in and get confronted by a page, who lets you know you are GOING AGAINST EVERYTHING THE REPUBLIC STANDS FOR BY DOING THIS, AND OBSTRUCTING JUSTICE by.....making sure people know whats going on, so he can't slip a bill through without the public's knowledge. :psyduck:

The LS option is to tell him he is right, and go back emptyhanded, the DS option is to expose him to the people.

Think about the methodology being used there. The Dark Side option is basically Watergate for a good cause, and the whole "questionable acts in the pursuit of less questionable ends" thing is not an uncommon theme in Republic DS options. Whereas the LS choice is to stand by the principles of the Republic, even if you have serious issues with the acts about to be taken by what is, in the end, still an elected official.

I also think you might be exaggerating the "coup" part. It seems more like he's trying to get the Republic to formally ally with the Sith Empire, or at least provide concessions that would presumably forestall a resumption of hostilities. Going back to real-world political analogies, this would be like "should I use illegal methods to convince Neville Chamberlain that 'peace in our time' may not be the best idea he's ever had?" (Yes, yes, I know, :godwin:, shut up. The only party that's getting compared to Hitler and/or the Nazis in this analogy already looks like Hugo Boss is on uniform design duty.)

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005

KittyEmpress posted:

Beergern Colony represent! If you add Deskrin, he's a level Sniper 40 I have. Only imperial I have currently, since I deleted my Marauder.

As for the connection error - who do you have internet through? Apparently Comcast(? I think) has been having a lot of issues with connecting to SWTOR.

YAY HOLLA! Awesome that someone else here is actually on the Colony! Thought I was all alone here! I have Guildmaster rank with the old guild we formed "Ilum Irregulars" if you care to join for the exp bonus!

We have internet through AT&T Uverse at the moment.

If none of my old friends / guildmates end up returning to try it out again, once server transfers open again as an option, I'll likely roll over to a server with an active established Goon Empire guild and see if they will take us as refugees :)

DJDace fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 7, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Ah yes, as I've started poking around at this game, that Ord Mantel medical quest was of no surprise to me. Light side is about looking Good, not doing Good.

Keep this expectation in mind, and you will not be surprised by Light/Darkside choices (as much). I've done next to nothing in this game, but this seems to hold true for Star Wars, and almost every form of Morality system.

Iffy views of what = Good and what = Evil for your choices is one thing. But for some reason what REALLY bugs me is when there is some kind of In Lore enforced Morality system, that seems to only inconvenience Player Characters while never being any significant problem for NPCs.

You have been a Vampire three days. Oh my god you killed a hobo by sucking their blood too hard? Loose Humanity, develop inhuman traits.
But all those centuries old vampires running the show who have eaten countless babies since the middle ages? They're doing just fine.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

DJDace posted:

YAY HOLLA! Awesome that someone else here is actually on the Colony! Thought I was all alone here! I have Guildmaster rank with the old guild we formed "Ilum Irregulars" if you care to join for the exp bonus!

I idly downloaded this game a couple of days ago and started reading this thread. My character is also on this Colony, and would like bonus XP. I have no idea yet if I'll wind up playing the game regularly for more than a week or two, but it's pretty entertaining for now.

e: character name is Valentinecrab

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jun 7, 2013

Strategy
Jul 1, 2002
I'm impressed how much better this game is now. I played the beta but never ended up playing live and trashed it every chance I got. After it failed so hard and went F2P I swore it off forever.

I just hit 15 on my assassin and even paid for a subscription, hell has frozen over.

I got a bit tired of wows end game daily quest grind fest so hopefully this has some different options at max level.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Section Z posted:

You have been a Vampire three days. Oh my god you killed a hobo by sucking their blood too hard? Loose Humanity, develop inhuman traits.
But all those centuries old vampires running the show who have eaten countless babies since the middle ages? They're doing just fine.
They don't have to deal with the Plot Train running them over every three days like the PCs, so rather than buy new powers and stats that lets them survive another story, the old guys can sink all their XP into rebuying Humanity. ;)

The medicine quest never struck me as particularly odd or badly reasoned, except that going straight from "Hi there" to "Gimme meds or the kid gets it" was jarring as hell.
Maybe I'm just inclined to fill in the holes in my head. The setup is a guard fell asleep, and a random refugee is able to make off with their entire stock? This is the bloody Republic we are talking about landing troops to put down a rebellion! Do not tell me they don't have a constant stream of supplies coming into the planet. Order some more, punish that lazy sod who fell asleep and... oh, I dunno, invest in a padlock next time maybe? Meanwhile this trooper will make it an object lesson for you, by letting the refugees keep the meds you carelessly threw away. Siding with the troops is DS because you are trying to cover up that they hosed up in the first place.

EDIT: vvvv It's not the only instance were you gently caress over troops not doing their duty. If it's that urgent, maybe the guy should own up to his mates mistake and beg the brass to get on the horn to another outpost, who could send a speeder with some medicine, rather than hanging out on streetcorners trying to get someone to pull his bacon out of the fire. It cannot be the only syringe of antibiotics on the planet that got stolen.

GhostBoy fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 7, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Not to mention the fact If you do give the Medicine back to the Soldier like a PROPER Trooper, they thank you for being just in time to save the life of a soldier who was about to die without it. You know, kind of like how they mentioned at the start of the quest.

But hey, gently caress em, right?

DJDace
Mar 23, 2005

LonsomeSon posted:

I idly downloaded this game a couple of days ago and started reading this thread. My character is also on this Colony, and would like bonus XP. I have no idea yet if I'll wind up playing the game regularly for more than a week or two, but it's pretty entertaining for now.

e: character name is Valentinecrab

No problem! I'll keep an eye out for you so I can meet up with you and get you invited. I got Kitty Empress in tonight which was super cool. Nice to have another goon to chat with!

BTW any other TOR players going to San Diego Comic Con this year? The wife and I gotta finish up our TOR inspired Sith costumes this month :) Last year I had a blast running around in full costume with my lightsaber hunting down Jedi to pummel! Good times. Good nerd times!

Doc Dee
Feb 15, 2012

THANKS FOR MAKING ME SPEND MONEY, T

goons posted:

Ord Mantell chat

But the thing is, this isn't the ENTIRE REPUBLIC ARMY THAT'S GOOD AND JUST, it's the corrupt Mantellian Army. Remember the quest where soldiers are sending refugees across a live minefield and betting on who makes it across, and the drunk ethics officer barely gives a poo poo? Or the one where soldiers kidnap an old man's daughter and beat the poo poo out of her because they attended a rally or two?

Taking meds away from them and giving to the refugees they've been exploiting sounds pretty decent to me.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Except that the soldiers are the ones keeping the Seperatists from butchering the refugees. Not only is it lovely to steal vital supplies from the guys protecting you, who got injured protecting you, but its also stupid since if the soldiers don't have those medical supplies then they might not be capable to defending against the Seps and the refugees would die anyway.

Plus the refugees lost the meds to the Seps anyway. So why the hell would you give it back to them?

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

That whole questline is stupid. The guard is stupid for falling asleep, the refugees are stupid for stealing supplies, the army is a bunch of assholes, the refugees are a bunch of useless twits, and everything is terrible.

This is the same place where 'refuges' are shot for sport by the separatists, sniped as a way to pass the time for for laughs, blown up with larger weaponry for laughs, and generally killed for laughs. Even if the army is horribly exploitative, they're retards for potentially ruining their only protection from the worst people.

On my Trooper I really wished I could shove in their face that this is war and that the other side would happily kill all of them off if they didn't want to fight. Including taking the children and drugging them until they just want to murder.

The darkside choice should be to kill the refugees because they're obviously liabilities that should not have resources wasted upon.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Doc Dee posted:

But the thing is, this isn't the ENTIRE REPUBLIC ARMY THAT'S GOOD AND JUST, it's the corrupt Mantellian Army. Remember the quest where soldiers are sending refugees across a live minefield and betting on who makes it across, and the drunk ethics officer barely gives a poo poo? Or the one where soldiers kidnap an old man's daughter and beat the poo poo out of her because they attended a rally or two?

Taking meds away from them and giving to the refugees they've been exploiting sounds pretty decent to me.

They are not Ord Mantellian soldiers. The guy outright says it's Republic troops that got hit by an ambush.

Even if they were, it doesn't matter. They have battlefield wounds that need immediate medical attention. The refugee kid has a headache.

I mean, the quest is basically "Hey, these refugees have basic simple problems that can be solved with simple triage, and suck, but can be waited out. Because the Ord Mantellian soldiers are brutes and stole our medical supplies as taxes, I stole them right back. I don't give a poo poo that your Republic soldiers are going to die because of this, if you don't help me, I'll let the Separatists keep the meds because they deserve them more."

GhostBoy posted:

EDIT: vvvv It's not the only instance were you gently caress over troops not doing their duty. If it's that urgent, maybe the guy should own up to his mates mistake and beg the brass to get on the horn to another outpost, who could send a speeder with some medicine, rather than hanging out on streetcorners trying to get someone to pull his bacon out of the fire. It cannot be the only syringe of antibiotics on the planet that got stolen.

Ord Mantell is in the middle of a massive space blockade/battle by the Separatists. The Smuggler start has him being told he's the first and only ship to land supplies in months, and there are several quests by people bemoaning the lack of supplies because of that blockade. Whats on Ord Mantell is all they get.

It's just strange to me. I'm sure the refugees are also having issues with IEDs and ambushes, but if someone was able to make it to the camp, clothing and alcohol are "good enough" shorthand items for triage and disinfection. The worst they'd have to deal with is diabetics, and the people who get hit by traps set for Mantellian troops while trying to scavenge. Meanwhile the troops are getting shot, ambushed, having to go over dangerous roads, etc.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008

KittyEmpress posted:

That whole questline is stupid. The guard is stupid for falling asleep, the refugees are stupid for stealing supplies, the army is a bunch of assholes, the refugees are a bunch of useless twits, and everything is terrible.

This is a pretty good description of all things Republic.

At least Ord Mantell is really pretty. Those beaches :allears:

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Gasoline posted:

This is a pretty good description of all things Republic.

It honestly describes the Empire pretty well too. Both sides in the game are retarded as hell. The Republic is inept due to inefficiency/under preperation, while the Empire is inept due to insanity. I guess the Hutt Cartel is inept due to greed, as well. Everyone is inept, except the player character. Unless you choose the dark side options 60% of the time. Then you are also inept. Also the light side ones 50% of the time.

The way I see things having played classes both sides, Imperial soldiers are actually more able to do things than the average Republic one. Unfortunately, Imperial commanders tend to be stupid as balls. They end up on a mostly even playing field due to this, which then shifts in chapter 3-4 to the Empire being worse, because for some reason getting the full on war they wanted means it's time for the Imperials to go screw up every plan ever!

KittyEmpress fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 7, 2013

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

KittyEmpress posted:

I kept thinking of that one 'Firefly' episode during that quest (where they steal medical supplies from a capital world hospital to resell out in the boonies, with the justification being, "When the hospital discovers the theft, they'll just make a phone call and be resupplied within an hour") , and was hoping I'd get the chance to tell the Republic questgiver, "Well, you'll just have to wait a few days for the next supply convoy. Until then, I'll let you deal with the consequences of falling asleep on guard duty, which is actually pretty light since you could have had your throat slit."

Edit: And maybe I'm misunderstanding the quest itself, but I also assumed that the supplies stolen were from just one small sub-camp or medical station? Because I can't imagine a single person stealing all the medicine being used for the number of Republic troops there... But from the way it unfolds, the thief did steal a base's worth of blood plasma, vaccines, bandages, syringes, etc.??

VVVV Edit 2: Oh, right. Teach me to post after two hours of sleep. :downs: VVVV

Beef Hardcheese fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 7, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Simon Draskovic posted:

I kept thinking of that one 'Firefly' episode during that quest (where they steal medical supplies from a capital world hospital to resell out in the boonies, with the justification being, "When the hospital discovers the theft, they'll just make a phone call and be resupplied within an hour") , and was hoping I'd get the chance to tell the Republic questgiver, "Well, you'll just have to wait a few days for the next supply convoy. Until then, I'll let you deal with the consequences of falling asleep on guard duty, which is actually pretty light since you could have had your throat slit."

Except that, as said above, Ord Mantell is in a giant war that includes separatist fleets in space, blockading it. The Smuggler is one of the best smugglers in the galaxies, and 'just barely' makes it through. No more supplies were coming.

Also, it's fuckin' retarded to try to punish someone for their failings when other people will be the ones dying without the supplies. Even if it was a couple of days, it's an active war zone, and medical supplies would save lives. Anyone who says you should give it to the refugees to 'punish' the soldier for falling asleep obviously doesn't understand that.

quote:

Edit: And maybe I'm misunderstanding the quest itself, but I also assumed that the supplies stolen were from just one small sub-camp or medical station? Because I can't imagine a single person stealing all the medicine being used for the number of Republic troops there... But from the way it unfolds, the thief did steal a base's worth of blood plasma, vaccines, bandages, syringes, etc.??

The specifics aren't given, except that it's enough for the entire camp of refugees for a few weeks at least. It's implied to have been a large enough amount that people would have died without it. Bioware plot holes.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rookersh posted:

On Republic Corelia you meet this Engineer who has been making super battle droids. He's not programming them to specifically target the Republic, or really assisting them in killing Republic troops at all, he just likes to build droids. Turns out that he also believes in the Empires ideals, and feels that they offer the best future for Corelia, so he stood behind them during the invasion. You can talk him down from this, and point out the Republic isn't doing that badly in the current war, and the Empire is straight murdering people in the street. So he agrees that maybe he was wrong, and offers his services to the Republic, for the sake of Corelia, but he'll still hold his political views.

You have two options. Arrest him for being a "traitor" ( LS ), or let him work for the Republic to help save Corelia ( DS ). But the only traitorous act he's done is having divergent political ideals, it was completely legal for him to work for the Empire because THEY CONQUERED THE loving PLANET, Corelia is not a part of the Republic, and he's not exactly building the droids specifically to hunt Republic troops, he's just building droids.

Uh, that dude sounds like a traitor and a collaborator to me. Corellia is a founding member of the Republic, and some members of the Corellian high council swearing allegiance to the empire doesn't make Corellia not part of the republic, it makes the councillors who swore allegiance traitors, and any actions you take as a collaborator are only legal so long as the reigime with which you collaborate is in control. If they fail, well, you're a traitor and you're hosed.

Personally I don't really think either choice is "good" or "evil" there, but I think the alignment assigned to both options matches up with the general theme that runs through Republic light/dark decisions, where on the dark side the ends justify the means, and on the light side the means justify the ends.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Years of playing Bioware games have taught me that stopping to think about Bioware's take on "alignment" (for lack of a better word) is the path to insanity.

I wish there was a way to disable the screen flash personally.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Reveilled posted:

Uh, that dude sounds like a traitor and a collaborator to me. Corellia is a founding member of the Republic, and some members of the Corellian high council swearing allegiance to the empire doesn't make Corellia not part of the republic, it makes the councillors who swore allegiance traitors, and any actions you take as a collaborator are only legal so long as the reigime with which you collaborate is in control. If they fail, well, you're a traitor and you're hosed.

Personally I don't really think either choice is "good" or "evil" there, but I think the alignment assigned to both options matches up with the general theme that runs through Republic light/dark decisions, where on the dark side the ends justify the means, and on the light side the means justify the ends.

The issue is he was making droids prior to the Empires takeover. Once the government switched sides, as he worked for a government agency, so did he.

I don't see that making him a traitor. Are all the men and women who continued working in the Balmorran factories traitors? No, because they just kept doing their job, so did he.

He then mentions that after the Republics failings, he lost faith in them, and has become proEmpire, as "they'd be best for protecting Corelia." However he says that since you won, and took back over his factory, he doesn't really care, and will start making droids for the Republic again, because if they are putting this much into reclaiming the planet, maybe they are whats best for it.

It's made worse because we have a precedent on this style quest. You find a number of scientists/engineers who have been captured by the Empire and forced to keep working on their superweapons, and you can break them out to freedom/joining the Republic. The only difference between them and him is, he saw the Empire takeover and thought "Well, at least Corelia has a stronger leadership now."

So his only act of sedition is having a divergent political view, which the Republic should theoretically not be arresting people for, or at least not be giving LS points for arresting for.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Feigning compliance then activating your super battle droids to kill the Jedi/Soldier/Hired Gun that walked in to rescue you/tell you to knock it off doesn't sound like "Just doing my job." At that point? He attacked someone working for the Republic directly, so he gets to go to jail when he surrenders.

But Rascyc is right: this isn't even Star Wars morality, it's Bioware morality. Which is more hosed than most.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
I think I'm going to take a break from my Juggernaught to try something that plays a little different for a change of pace. Am thinking of starting a Consular - do I just do a /who for the goon-infested Republic guild and bug someone for an invite?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

WarLocke posted:

I think I'm going to take a break from my Juggernaught to try something that plays a little different for a change of pace. Am thinking of starting a Consular - do I just do a /who for the goon-infested Republic guild and bug someone for an invite?

Yo buddy, send a tell to Jeyte, I'll hook you up/spoil the Consular story for you.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Rookersh posted:

The issue is he was making droids prior to the Empires takeover. Once the government switched sides, as he worked for a government agency, so did he.

I don't see that making him a traitor. Are all the men and women who continued working in the Balmorran factories traitors? No, because they just kept doing their job, so did he.

He then mentions that after the Republics failings, he lost faith in them, and has become proEmpire, as "they'd be best for protecting Corelia." However he says that since you won, and took back over his factory, he doesn't really care, and will start making droids for the Republic again, because if they are putting this much into reclaiming the planet, maybe they are whats best for it.

It's made worse because we have a precedent on this style quest. You find a number of scientists/engineers who have been captured by the Empire and forced to keep working on their superweapons, and you can break them out to freedom/joining the Republic. The only difference between them and him is, he saw the Empire takeover and thought "Well, at least Corelia has a stronger leadership now."

So his only act of sedition is having a divergent political view, which the Republic should theoretically not be arresting people for, or at least not be giving LS points for arresting for.

Personally I'd still be classing him as a traitor, but regardless of whether he is a traitor or not, he has definitely been involved in collaborationist activities, specifically the making of weapons of war for a hostile power, giving aid and comfort to the enemy, and, as he reveals to you, not even against his will. Is he culpable for the deaths of the soldiers, or his attempts to kill you? I'd say that's debatable. Remember that the things that characterise the dark side are acting upon emotion, and taking the quick or easy option to reach your goal, while the light side is marked by fairness, impartiality, and doing things in the principled manner even if it makes it harder to achieve your goals. In that context, giving him a fair trial seems like the obviously light-sided decision as it will allow a judge to fairly determine whether he can be held responsible for collaborating and whether he is culpable for the deaths of those his droids killed, while executing him on the spot for treason or giving him an on the spot pardon to assist you in winning the battle are, respectively, the emotional and the quick-n-easy solutions.

I mean, I think Star Wars morality and bioware morality are dumb too, but I don't think this is a case where they slipped up. The decision to me seems consistent with the definitions we have for the light and dark sides.

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 7, 2013

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

I really, really wish they'd taken all of Mass Effect's conversation system into SWTOR. One of the things I absolutely adored about ME2 and ME3 was that for purposes of conversation unlocks and some gear unlocks, it didn't matter which alignment path you took, only that you did take options. Your overall alignment score is a combination of your Paragon AND Renegade choices, so you can play however you want without fear of nerfing yourself. With SWTOR, neutral alignment punishes you because you can't use anything but very rare and expensive relics.

Random thought about Jedi Knight story spoilers: I'm shocked that Bioware lets people have Lord Scourge as a companion in places as public as The Fleet. That's kind of a gigantic spoiler for that story. At least with the Sith Warrior it's easy to guess that Jaesa will eventually be a companion, even if you don't know exactly how.

Red Crown fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 7, 2013

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Red Crown posted:

Random thought about Jedi Knight story spoilers:

It's funny you mention that, because I wondered that on my first character. As a BH I'd see people running around fleet with certain companions I didn't have yet, only to meet them later. I'm not a big spoiler person so it didn't bug me, but I can imagine that'd get under some players' skin. I can't think of a good way around it though.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Kaysette posted:

It's funny you mention that, because I wondered that on my first character. As a BH I'd see people running around fleet with certain companions I didn't have yet, only to meet them later. I'm not a big spoiler person so it didn't bug me, but I can imagine that'd get under some players' skin. I can't think of a good way around it though.

I'd say that you could still modify the loadout and gear of all your companions, like you can on your ship, just not be able to summon them while on the fleet.

It'd probably help the Fleet stop chugging for people with slower comps at least, as the game wouldn't have to render the companions

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Just the other day someone was complaining about spoilers in fleet general because someone asked if he should use Ashara or Andronikos.

Red Crown posted:

With SWTOR, neutral alignment punishes you because you can't use anything but very rare and expensive relics.

There is absolutely no need for relics until you hit endgame, and none of those are alignment restricted. My neutral characters did perfectly fine.

Mass Effect's system was stupid because it'd lock out conversation options if your Nice Guy/Douchebag score wasn't high enough.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
On that note, is there any possible way to skew your alignment once you are done going through your story on a 'what I just feel like doing' basis? Or are you stuck in "just hammer the alignment I want the skills/items for first, plot choice second" like most games with morality? Of course, F2P mode means you can't even use Rare Purple's anyways without shelling out to the coin slot.

I did like how (most of the time) in Mass Effect, Paragon Vs Renegade was just how you chose to get the same job done. But then, in Mass Effect you were the designated savior of the universe, no matter what. Compared to "This side is the GOOD Guys, this side is the BAD Guys. Also, if you use Lightning as a life saving defibrillator you are still evil."

This is less Police Academy vs The Shield, and more GI Joe vs Cobra. Bioware morality + Star Wars morality means I'm going to try not to think about it too hard, lest I hurt myself. But it wont stop me from commenting on some of the more silly idiocy like everyone else.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 7, 2013

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

Section Z posted:

On that note, is there any possible way to skew your alignment once you are done going through your story on a 'what I just feel like doing' basis? Or are you stuck in "just hammer the alignment I want the skills/items for first, plot choice second" like most games with morality? Of course, F2P mode means you can't even use Rare Purple's anyways without shelling out to the coin slot.
If you have the Diplomacy crew skill, you can run missions to your heart's delight to pick whatever alignment you want. The flavor text for the missions is pretty interesting / hilarious and Empire and Republic characters have different Diplomacy missions reflecting their respective sides. I took Diplomacy on my Trooper and Agent for flavor, but you can justify it any way you like.

Otherwise, you can just run flashpoints at level cap and take whatever alignment choices are in that since those missions are in a story vacuum and can be re-run many times to easily get you geared and ready for end-game material.

Gear-wise, there's no reason at all to worry about alignment. It used to be lightsaber crystal colors were alignment restricted, but that got patched over a year ago. There's some lightsabers and relics that have alignment requirements as you level, but they're completely inconsequential. Even if you do go hilariously sociopath dark side, you can toggle off the Palpatine-like face you'll have and still be the prettiest space princess.

You're free to take the choices that you feel work for you in the story, and worry about where the dark side ticker is later.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Section Z posted:

Just blow through Black Talon over and over. Lots of alignment there.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Hell, I'd argue there's absolutely no reason to worry about alignment at all beyond headcanon, a few titles, and whether you want to show Dark Side corruption or not. Mechanically, there is nothing alignment gives you that you need or can't get from credits/cartel coins. Sure, unlocking free Unity is nice, but you can buy it too, and not have to worry about sperging your way to Light 5. The alignment-locked lightsabers are exactly the same or worse than non-alignment locked modded oranges of the same level. And as others posted, worrying about Relics before 50 is a waste of time, and after 50, all the ones that are worth anything have no alignment requirement anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Ah, I figured that since low level ones were alignment locked, upper level ones would be as well. Also, IIRC, in ME2/3 it would only lock you out of options if you'd taken a huge number of neutral choices or it was COMPLETELY out of character, based on previous interactions of that type.

I have to say I'm god damned addicted to tanking. I find myself maxing out my mods on my level 27 Shadow Tank because maximum tankage.

• Locked thread