Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
I've been watching the BBC series Sherlock, and I've gotten the Mystery bug again.

I'm in the mood for a mystery where the case is seemingly supernatural (it can be anything: vampires, werewolves, ghosts, etc.), but the conclusion is based in reality, much like The Hound of the Baskervilles. The more literary the better, but pulp is fine.

I enjoy Agatha Christie, Sir Arther Conan Doyle, and hard boiled detective stuff like Raymond Chandler, (I'm also planning to get Stephen King's new book Joyland) so I'm really up for anything. I just prefer to be able to try and solve it before the answer is revealed. (I'm not very well-read in the genre, so any general recommendations would be appreciated as well.)

I really didn't like the first book Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series, so nothing like that.

Also, what's the verdict on Christopher Fowler's Peculiar Crimes Unit series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
John Dickson Carr had a nice line in murder mysteries where seemingly supernatural impossibilities are rationally explained (as a kind of subset of his usual locked-room mysteries). He Who Whispers is a classic example, and pretty easy to get hold of either in reprinted paperback or Kindle.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Franchescanado posted:

I've been watching the BBC series Sherlock, and I've gotten the Mystery bug again.

I'm in the mood for a mystery where the case is seemingly supernatural (it can be anything: vampires, werewolves, ghosts, etc.), but the conclusion is based in reality, much like The Hound of the Baskervilles. The more literary the better, but pulp is fine.

I enjoy Agatha Christie, Sir Arther Conan Doyle, and hard boiled detective stuff like Raymond Chandler, (I'm also planning to get Stephen King's new book Joyland) so I'm really up for anything. I just prefer to be able to try and solve it before the answer is revealed. (I'm not very well-read in the genre, so any general recommendations would be appreciated as well.)

I really didn't like the first book Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce series, so nothing like that.

Also, what's the verdict on Christopher Fowler's Peculiar Crimes Unit series?

Be sure to check out The Butler Did It: Let's Read Mystery Fiction. We read mysteries and try to solve them, and we'll be starting a new book soon, hopefully one you haven't read yet.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
I think I read about this book here, but I need help finding the name of it again. It was a sci fi book with space exploration and stuff, and the craziest thing about it was that it was wrote pretty long ago. Somewhere in the early 1900s. The stretch of imagination was pretty far. I'd know the name of the book title if I saw it, unfortunately I don't know where to look.

And while I'm here, i'm a big dumb goof who has only read books because they were required reading in class or straight-up comedy books from The Onion. Are there any short, approachable Sci-Fi books? Something with human and alien races would be cool, I always liked the concept of that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The Lensman series by E.E. Doc Smith? The Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon?

A Spotless Domain
May 13, 2013

It looks like you're writing a noncon supernatural breeding thriller.

Would you like help?
Big "thank you" to whoever recommended Altered Carbon! I read it over the weekend and loved it. I assume the rest of the Kovacs books are pretty much up my alley then?

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

I also want to say thanks for all the recommendations for the 20 year old non-reader. He'll be hooked before he knows it. I'm gonna read some of the suggestions I got, too.

MikeDinosaur
Jun 3, 2009

Caustic Chimera posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if someone has asked about this before, but I couldn't find anything.

I'm curious about cults and fundamentalism.

For cults: What attracts people to cults, and what keeps them there? (I know it has to do with exploiting their weaknesses, but I'm hoping to find specific examples or at least a clearer explanation)

For fundamentalism: I guess I'm interested in what it's like living in a fundamentalist community. So maybe memoirs dealing with that?

Hey, this somehow got missed by everyone.

I recently read Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, and I think it actually has good answers to a lot of your questions. You see how normal people can easily find something basically appealing in the teachings, an in the sense of community, and then how the church can use that community to trap people in situations they never would have dreamed of tolerating before. Once the cult dictates your relationship with the people around you, your idea of what's crazy and what isn't can get turned totally upside down. Like in 1984, "Sanity is not statistical..." but it feels like it is, sometimes.

It's also a frequesntly hilarious book when it's not actively horrifying you. L. Ron Hubbard was such a huge fuckup all his life, and his early frustrations are sort of comic. Some of his coping techniques are almost sweet, but you can see how even early in his life his kindness and naievete was mixed with misogyny and hatred. Once a person like that becomes insulated it's easy for him to lose the pressure to cultivate the good aspects of himself and give in totally to his most basic desires. And then his replacement, David Miscavige... holy Christ. It's amazing, if that guy didn't have a church to run and a constant stream of new employees to torture he'd almost surely be a serial killer.

Anyway though, GREAT BOOK, please let me know what you think if you read it.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 22, 2016

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

stratdax posted:

I also want to say thanks for all the recommendations for the 20 year old non-reader. He'll be hooked before he knows it. I'm gonna read some of the suggestions I got, too.

Thought of two more: Don Winslow's Savages (No Country for Old Men meets Nice Dreams) and Josh Bazell's Beat the Reaper (Tarantino mob flick medical drama).

MikeDinosaur posted:

I recently read Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, and I think it actually has good answers to a lot of your questions.

Din't miss it, just couldn't think of anything, but, yes, this is a great book.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I hope you're still around; any fan of Western fiction really ought to read Warlock by Oakley Hall. It is hands down the best novel in the genre I've ever read, but a fair portion of its appeal relies upon (and plays off of) the readers' familiarity with the cliched tropes and motifs of The Western.

This is a really great book. Love it.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

A Spotless Domain posted:

Big "thank you" to whoever recommended Altered Carbon! I read it over the weekend and loved it. I assume the rest of the Kovacs books are pretty much up my alley then?

If you're looking for more cyberpunk noir, not really. The second one is a weird Indiana Jones in space type of thing, the third one is all out space mercenary action, as far as I can recall.

Maybe you should try Alistair Reynold's Chasm City. It takes place in his Revelation Space universe, but it works rather well as a stand-alone novel. The badass main character and the overall noirish plot have a lot in common with Altered Carbon.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
Can anyone help me find a book for my father who is going on vacation in a couple of days?

He's a more conservative stubborn type, and I'm not really looking to throw anything controversial at him or to try and make an argument. I think he'd like some kind of historical novel, maybe something about earlier America (Wild West or Robber Barons?). That's just an idea though, any recommendations would be welcome.

Neat Machine fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 4, 2013

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I'm looking for a First Contact themed book but with the twist that Aliens discover us, decide we're all a bunch of violent lunatics, and actively try to quarantine us from the rest of the Universe. Anyone know of a book that roughly follows that theme?

EDIT: Actually, any First Contact novel with Humans as the antagonists will do. I'm just tired of all the novels I've read having the humans as the underdog heroes defending against "evil" aliens. Just once I'd like to read about the more probable outcome of us wrecking their poo poo out of spite at the earliest opportunity.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Jun 4, 2013

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

Avocados posted:

And while I'm here, i'm a big dumb goof who has only read books because they were required reading in class or straight-up comedy books from The Onion. Are there any short, approachable Sci-Fi books? Something with human and alien races would be cool, I always liked the concept of that.

Hmm. Short, approachable, sci-fi. Choose two!

But seriously, if you want truly weird aliens and an exploration of their interactions with humans, I would suggest Ring by Stephen Baxter and his other Xeelee Sequence books. Aliens include dark matter "photino birds" that eat stars, the Qax that travel in living starships, and the Xeelee called the "Baryonic Overlords" that build solar system-sized megastructures.

Esroc posted:

I'm looking for a First Contact themed book but with the twist that Aliens discover us, decide we're all a bunch of violent lunatics, and actively try to quarantine us from the rest of the Universe. Anyone know of a book that roughly follows that theme?

You pretty much exactly want the Time Odyssey books by Arthur C. Clarke and Stephen Baxter (A Time Odyssey, Sunstorm, and Firstborn). A malevolent alien species wishes to smite humanity as a threat to the stability of the galaxy, while quarantining a sample of it on a patchwork world pulled out of time and space. Also will suggest this if you want to see Alexander the Great command an army wielding matchlock rifles against the hordes of Ghenghis Khan.

tricksnake
Nov 16, 2012

bowmore posted:

500 Essential Cult Books is a really good list book on Cult Classics, get this and you are set for recommendations for the next 5 to 10 years. Also it's only $4!

The Erland posted:

The standard response to this kind of thing here is to recommend Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. And for good reason, it's really good, and has quite a big following around the internet. It also has a really unconventional structure (endnotes ahooy!), earning it some comparisons to House of Leaves. I've never read HOL though, so I can't really comment on that. Not an easy read, though, and clocking in at over a 1000 pages, you should know what you're getting yourself into.

~
You guys are the poo poo!!! Thanks a ton

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I really enjoyed Who's Looking at Euclid by Alex Bellos, and am currently reading and also really enjoying The Code Book by Simon Singh. Can anyone recommend some other pop-sci books like them? Especially anything astronomy-related.

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Have you read Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time or his The Universe in a Nutshell?

As for myself, I'm looking for books on the practice of law or medicine with a particular kind of presentation. The book should contain many examples of specific, interesting, cases whether experienced by the author or compiled from other sources, and also present a philosophy or ideal for the fields' practioners. I'd like to get a feel for what the typical professional life is like and how strange it can get, and maybe a bit of historical context. Bill James's Popular Crime is an example of the feel I'd like. If there's not a single book that does it for either law or medicine I'm open to multiples.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I haven't, no, but those are right up my alley, thank you. Copy of A Brief History of Time has just been purchased. :dance:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

thatdarnedbob posted:

As for myself, I'm looking for books on the practice of law or medicine with a particular kind of presentation. The book should contain many examples of specific, interesting, cases whether experienced by the author or compiled from other sources, and also present a philosophy or ideal for the fields' practioners. I'd like to get a feel for what the typical professional life is like and how strange it can get, and maybe a bit of historical context. Bill James's Popular Crime is an example of the feel I'd like. If there's not a single book that does it for either law or medicine I'm open to multiples.

Sounds like you might enjoy The Poisoner's Handbook (full title: The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York) by Deborah Blum.

Wikipedia Synopsis: In 1918, New York City appointed Charles Norris, Bellevue Hospital's chief pathologist, as its first scientifically trained medical examiner. The book, about Norris and Alexander Gettler, the city's first toxicologist, describes Jazz Age's poisoning cases. Before the two began working in the coroner's office, Blum pointed out in her book, poisoners could get away with murder. The book covers the years from 1915 to 1936, which Blum described as a "coming-of-age" for forensic toxicology. "Under (Norris's) direction, the New York City medical examiner's office would become a department that set forensic standards for the rest of the country," Blum wrote.

Wikipedia also claims it's a "New York Times best-selling non-fiction book" and that it got really good reviews.

Caustic Chimera
Feb 18, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

MikeDinosaur posted:

I recently read Going Clear: Scientology and the Prison of Belief, and I think it actually has good answers to a lot of your questions. You see how normal people can easily find something basically appealing in the teachings, an in the sense of community, and then how the church can use that community to trap people in situations they never would have dreamed of tolerating before. Once the cult dictates your relationship with the people around you, your idea of what's crazy and what isn't can get turned totally upside down. Like in 1984, "Sanity is not statistical..." but it feels like it is, sometimes.

[...]

Anyway though, GREAT BOOK, please let me know what you think if you read it.

This sounds exactly like what I was looking for. The library doesn't seem to have it on its shelf right now, but if it's in next week, I'll start it then.

Thank you very much!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...
Hey, I haven't read any China Miéville yet, but I've seen a number of his books recommended here. What would be a good one to start with?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Zola posted:

Hey, I haven't read any China Miéville yet, but I've seen a number of his books recommended here. What would be a good one to start with?

I'd say just start with Perdido Street Station. Be aware, he's a great writer, even brilliant, but he really loves him some big intellectual sounding words and he's as bad (or as good, if you swing that way) about injecting Marxism into his stories as Heinlein was about libertarianism. To Mieville's credit the whole steampunk fantasy setting works *really* well with themes of class warfare and exploitation, so it's all well done, but it's a Big Theme so if you read his stuff be prepared.

All in all he's probably one of the ten or so best living fantasy writers. He'd be even better if he hadn't taken so many critical theory classes (imho).

thatdarnedbob
Jan 1, 2006
why must this exist?
Seconding PSS. It's easily the fantasy book I've recommended to the most friends.

Walh Hara posted:

Sounds like you might enjoy The Poisoner's Handbook (full title: The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York) by Deborah Blum.

Thanks for the recommendation, that's going on my short list for sure. The medical examiner point of view seems pretty interesting. Though I am still looking for books that share the experience of a modern doctor or lawyer.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
I've read, with varying levels of like but not really any dislike, most of William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, every Shadowrun novel (I've had a love with them since childhood), the Bioshock books, Jennifer Government, and I book I can't remember the title of where promotions/contracts were earned via Twisted Metal/Death Race style matches.

Any recommendations for dystopian science fiction? I guess what I'm looking for are some books where governments have gave way to corporations or people with money and things have gone to poo poo or anti-libertarian dystopia settings. I'd prefer gritty/cyberpunk type, but I'll settle for anything decent.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

cruel, Roger Smith...

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

I've read, with varying levels of like but not really any dislike, most of William Gibson, Neal Stephenson, every Shadowrun novel (I've had a love with them since childhood), the Bioshock books, Jennifer Government, and I book I can't remember the title of where promotions/contracts were earned via Twisted Metal/Death Race style matches.

Any recommendations for dystopian science fiction? I guess what I'm looking for are some books where governments have gave way to corporations or people with money and things have gone to poo poo or anti-libertarian dystopia settings. I'd prefer gritty/cyberpunk type, but I'll settle for anything decent.

The Petrovitch trilogy.

It's a very good time, and the fourth book, The Curve of the Earth, is excellent as well.

tonytheshoes
Nov 19, 2002

They're still shitty...

Zola posted:

The Petrovitch trilogy.

It's a very good time, and the fourth book, The Curve of the Earth, is excellent as well.

I second this suggestion. Fast, fun, and pretty funny at times.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I'm looking for recommendations of Australian apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic science fiction (set in Australia, not just written by Australians). I seem to remember the stuff being everywhere when I was a kid - no doubt in school libraries stocked with a mandated quota of Australian YA novels - but now all I can remember is Nevil Shute's On the Beach. And Mad Max, obviously.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Would The Quiet Earth be close enough?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

freebooter posted:

I'm looking for recommendations of Australian apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic science fiction (set in Australia, not just written by Australians). I seem to remember the stuff being everywhere when I was a kid - no doubt in school libraries stocked with a mandated quota of Australian YA novels - but now all I can remember is Nevil Shute's On the Beach. And Mad Max, obviously.

Taronga by Victor Kelleher is a pretty cool YA novel set in Sydney after a nuclear war. Basically a group of survivors are holed up in Taronga Zoo where they use the big cats as protection against roving bands of survivors. There's a fantasy element too, the main character has a psychic link with animals. It was written in the 80s though, the zoo back then was nothing like it is today.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Zola posted:

The Petrovitch trilogy.

Thanks. I'll check it out.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Somebody had an Ask/Tell about working for Lucasfilm (as an IT guy, but he had some insight into structure) not too long ago, maybe look for that.

KingAsmo
Mar 18, 2009

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

You might want to check out Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge. I think he is more known for his space opera stuff that happens way in the future but rainbows end only takes place about 100 years from now and I would classify it as cyberpunk. It covers surveillance, privatization of security, virtual reality and the whole information is power idea really well, and Vinge was a math and computer science professor so the tech is all pretty feasible seeming.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm trying to find a book I read in high school but I can't remember anything about it except there was a nuclear war and it's about trying to survive after the bombs have hit. The main character may have been a teenage girl and it may be YA fiction.

Any ideas? Sorry it's so vague but it's been more than 10 years since I read it.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

bowmore posted:

I'm trying to find a book I read in high school but I can't remember anything about it except there was a nuclear war and it's about trying to survive after the bombs have hit. The main character may have been a teenage girl and it may be YA fiction.

Any ideas? Sorry it's so vague but it's been more than 10 years since I read it.

Sounds like Z for Zachariah, I read it at school too.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jax posted:

Sounds like Z for Zachariah, I read it at school too.
Nope, that book sounds interesting though.

Still on the search!

Blatherskite
May 27, 2005

See this is Pez candy, see, you eat it. You put the candy in here, then you lift up the head. Candy comes out, then you eat it. Want some?
[edit]I see there's a thread specifically for recommendations, I'll post this there.

Blatherskite fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

KingAsmo posted:

You might want to check out Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge. I think he is more known for his space opera stuff that happens way in the future but rainbows end only takes place about 100 years from now and I would classify it as cyberpunk. It covers surveillance, privatization of security, virtual reality and the whole information is power idea really well, and Vinge was a math and computer science professor so the tech is all pretty feasible seeming.

Following on from a different poster, but does anyone have recommendations for someone who really liked Rainbow's End and wants more in a very similar vein? I.e., like Vinge, but set not *that* far in the future?

EDIT: Also, need not be obviously dystopian. I mean here the cyberpunk Neuromancer / Blade Runner visual tone or aesthetic, if that makes sense. I'd be more interested in dystopias more elaborately cloaked in a utopia, or even in a work that ignores the dystopia/utopia paradigm (on a surface level) but still engages with issues of e.g. privacy and access to information or whatever.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jun 9, 2013