Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
Armor/Item Condition Modifiers
Weapon modifiers will coincide with the armor modifier chart listed on pg. 16 of the core rules. The effects for armor will remain unchanged, for weapons those percentages will be subtracted from your chance to hit.

4: -5% to hit (Weapon showing early signs of wear.)
5: -10% to hit
6: -20% to hit
7: -30% to hit (Weapon has visible damage that effects how it is used.)
8: -40% to hit
9: -50% to hit
10: -60% to hit (Weapon nearly destroyed and potentially dangerous or impossible to operate.)

-----

@QuantumNinja

For what it's worth, why I think you should buy the damaged snub-nose
  • You'll have an immediate -40% to hit on that two-handed pipe rifle.
  • The pipe rifle can only fire one round before you have to reload. 5AP to fire, 2AP to reload.
  • The snub-nose costs 4AP to fire, and although the reload cost is the same, it holds 6 rounds.
  • You have a one-handed bonus of [+20%], off-setting the pistols -5% to hit.
  • You can still go on a quest to get daddy's special .44
  • ...and I don't want you to get stabbed to death by a raider(too early) because you can't get a shot off.
  • Best-selling point: My package is only 20 caps more.

Edit: and you have fast shot. Snub-nose shots for 3ap

-----

@Went to Hell

With the changes to armor/item condition modifiers, your gun will be at a -20% to hit.

Repair works such that you can do basic maintenance on the gun with your basic tools for thirty minutes to repair 2 boxes of damage on a successful check.

If you have a duplicate or identical gun, you can salvage one weapon entirely to restore up to 50% condition.

Since you are a lonesome repair ghoul, these things should be a breeze for you!

...but really, yeah it is just a heads up on the change to the -% to hit.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 21:06 on May 31, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
I wasn't going to buy a pipe gun. The equipment book lists a 10mm handgun, the Colt 6520 10mm Pistol, for 250C (pg. 12). I was going to buy that with some ammo. That's a handgun, full attack, more damage than the .38 (less AC pen). But if that's a typo / you insist, then sure.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

QuantumNinja posted:

I wasn't going to buy a pipe gun. The equipment book lists a 10mm handgun, the Colt 6520 10mm Pistol, for 250C (pg. 12). I was going to buy that with some ammo. That's a handgun, full attack, more damage than the .38 (less AC pen). But if that's a typo / you insist, then sure.

I don't insist, that sounds like a good plan to me. My bad on the misunderstanding!

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
There, final version of character sheet. Everything should check out now:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Gamethread is up!

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Can it/Could it/Should it be assumed we have some various small items on us that would be of negligible weight and usefulness? Just things that one would expect to be carrying, like a canteen, some basic food, etc.

I was wondering if, since it would be assumed I'd have one, I could have at the very least and Empty Doctor's Bag. Maybe one with a few crude tools in it, nothing that would add to any of my rolls, or at most, a one use doctor bag that breaks after it's first consumption.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Yeah, I'll give you all some provisions and reasonable freebies later this evening. Spraying for bugs currently: :cry:

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Put on a helmet of some kind, some boots, set it to stream mode and pretend you're hunting aliens... You know, like 8 year old me.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

SevenSocks posted:

Put on a helmet of some kind, some boots, set it to stream mode and pretend you're hunting aliens... You know, like 8 year old me.

Unfortunately, I read this long after conventional wisdom had dissipated and without mask, I inhaled far too many bug fumes. Replenished, I return to gift freebie starting items!

----

For everyone:
pre:
Basic Wastes Provisions
  • Various Meat Jerky x5 - Not exactly tasty, and probably not all that nutritious, but a couple bites of this could keep you going long enough to make it to a town for hot rat pie and some irradiated water. (1 = Day's ration)
  • Irradiated Water x5 - Sometimes you have to take what you can get, even if that soothing liquid is secretly mutating your insides.
  • Flare x2 - Who turned out the lights?! No worries with this around. (Can be thrown for 4 AP btw).
Character Specific
@Jolinaxas
pre:
Binoculars
Dirty and slightly damaged, you can see up to about 1000 yds. with these outside of combat.
@QuantumNinja
pre:
Whatever you need really, if you can think of a minor item that would go good with your 
character, I'll allow it or modify something to fit it.
@Went to Hell
pre:
Whatever you need really, if you can think of a minor item that would go good with your 
@Ryuujin
pre:
You have that robe,but  if you can think of a minor item that would go good with your 
@SevenSocks
pre:
Makeshift Doctor's Bag
Found objects that you've cleaned and repurposed make up this doctor's bag. From segments of
loose tubing, lengths of metal and wood cuttings, you've managed to make quite a practical
medical tool.

+10% to Doctor, First Aid, 3 Uses.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Dr.Idle posted:

Unfortunately, I read this long after conventional wisdom had dissipated and without mask, I inhaled far too many bug fumes. Replenished, I return to gift freebie starting items!

----

For everyone:
pre:
Basic Wastes Provisions
  • Various Meat Jerky x5 - Not exactly tasty, and probably not all that nutritious, but a couple bites of this could keep you going long enough to make it to a town for hot rat pie and some irradiated water. (1 = Day's ration)
  • Irradiated Water x5 - Sometimes you have to take what you can get, even if that soothing liquid is secretly mutating your insides.
  • Flare x2 - Who turned out the lights?! No worries with this around. (Can be thrown for 4 AP btw).
@QuantumNinja
pre:

1) Can someone else have my starting gear? The food and water? It seems a bit out of place for it to be on me, given the game start.

2) I could use some kind of holster. Not sure how a mechanical effect would work, though.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jun 3, 2013

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
@QuantumNinja
Yeah, one of the other characters can have your provisions and as far as a holster is concerned, you can have one for free. Switching weapons not already "equipped" costs 4AP to sort through your inventory. You can swap out 1-handed weapons in combat for 2AP.

Ex. Gun breaks, but wait, you looted a 10mm pistol off of a slaver. Swap and fire.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Well after our first and foremost orders of business: Get acquainted, get out of the wastes, heal up, so forth. I'm going to need to get Therax some [tennessee accent]En'glish readin' books[/tennessee accent].

We can't have him wandering around sounding like Grognak the barbarian, even if it is appropriate. Maybe I could get him a copy of "You're S.P.E.C.I.A.L.".

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The way they talk is actually pretty cool and creepy imo. They just mimic human speech like a parrot, and its "deep, gravelly and prone to strange accents."

Now for those dismal charisma scores lol... Just never end up in a situation where either of you are the only people capable of speech lol.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Just wanted to apologize for only posting 1-2 times a day. I'm approaching a paper deadline with my advisor, so my time is kinda crunched. I'll try to be more attentive. It should be better by the end of next week.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

QuantumNinja posted:

Just wanted to apologize for only posting 1-2 times a day. I'm approaching a paper deadline with my advisor, so my time is kinda crunched. I'll try to be more attentive. It should be better by the end of next week.

1-2x a day is more than sufficient. Thank you for playing. I'll probably have a response up later tonight or tomorrow.

e: also, good luck!

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011

Dr.Idle posted:

Checks for non-humans will be a die of their racial maximum for relevant attribute checks. This is mainly because Orokos will let you roll things like 1d9 or 1d17, but I think that would make the most sense, I'm up for discussing this though. It is not a rule I've ever implemented, mainly because I've never run it online. Just let me know your thoughts on it I guess.

I don't think that's such a good idea, and here's why:

According to this new rule, a Ghoul has an easier time becoming super-strong (only needs three points to go from average to maximum 3-6), than a human does (five points to go from 5 to 10), when I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be the opposite.

A Ghoul with Strength 5 (only a two-point investment, and the human average) has an easier time accomplishing feats of strength than does a human with Strength 8 (a three-point investment): Ghoul 83% vs. Human 80%. Still, the Ghoul can barely hold a rifle while the human is lugging around his minigun.

A Deathclaw with Intelligence 4 (a three-point investment, racial maximum) is effectively smarter than a Ghoul who puts all his points in Intelligence for 11 (out of a racial maximum of 13): Deathclaw 100% vs. Ghoul 85%.

Since all the races start out with 5 S.P.E.C.I.A.L. points to spend, they are effectively all worth the same, but with a roll-against-racial-max mechanic, things become more amorphous. Had this rule been implemented from the start, I think we would all have built our characters very differently.

The reason why the non-human races sometimes break the 1d10 scale is because they're super-human. This does not mean that a Ghoul with Perception 11 is impossible to sneak up on, however. According to the rules document, a roll of 10 is still always a failure (for the record, it says nothing about a roll of 1 always being a success, strangely enough). Circumstantial penalties can be implemented as well (your Int10 super-genius can solve basic algebra, no problem. But trying to decipher the constantly updating stream of binary code that tells you how to deactivate the nuclear launch sequence, while dangling upside-down from a rope with Armageddonists firing their assault rifles at you? That's maybe a -4 Int penalty to the roll).

I hope that illustrates my point clearly, and that my argument makes sense to you. There are definitely ways to design a system that uses variable roll-against mechanics, but Fallout is not one of those games.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

I've just woken up, so I may be talking stupid or whatnot, but I figured that having superhuman stats would mean that you'd roll 1d10-(The number above 10 of your stat).

I don't know, because that would make getting a critical failure of SPECIAL stats impossible pretty much immediately. Granted nothing can go up to 20, so the highest someone could roll at is as a Deathclaw with 16 AG making a raw AG roll I.E. dodging a car. This would make it so they really couldn't roll over a 4, though that'd be understandable.

Guess you could still make it so if the unmodified roll is a 10 you still crit fail, but again, I'm talking out of my rear end right now so I'm sure someone else has a better idea. Without any modification based on your SPECIAL for above 10 stats, all it does is affect your derived stats and skills, which is still at least a nice consolation prize.

EDIT: I'm definitely waiting on that map before moving or acting at all.

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 7, 2013

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
These are some valid points. I'll revise the ruling later today and see what you all have to say.

@Benny D - if you're still checking these threads, I'd love some feedback on what you used for attribute checks.

Working on some projects for my boss right now, but when that's done I'll get to work on the map!

Thanks for the good feedback on this.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Post made. You know, I should really know better at this point. You never ever EVER use Orokos between 10 pm and 5 am, the way the RNG is coded puts you at a supreme disadvantage due to the timestamp.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Post is up, I was going to do it tomorrow, but couldn't sleep just yet.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Quick question about Sequence. The book says The critter or character that initiated combat gets the opportunity to use all of their action points (AP) before Sequence is determined. Does that mean I get to spend my AP, and act again on my Sequence, or do I just get to start the first round of combat and go during my regular Sequence the next round of combat?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Haha, that escalated quickly.

@QuantumNinja - You will go again at your sequence, but your AP cost for shooting should be 3. You could to take the best 3 shots and you'll have 1AP left over.

I think there's some stuff on other peoples turns too that I'll have to address, but drat! I like the gungho attitude.

----

@Went to Hell - the percentages against your melee/unarmed are a little higher, but that's just semantics really.

----

I don't think I see anything else, but I'll let you know if I do. I'll get a post up later.

----

@QuantumNinja - crit. effect roll, 1d200, chance to do more damage!

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Jun 13, 2013

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Dr.Idle posted:

Haha, that escalated quickly.

@QuantumNinja - You will go again at your sequence, but your AP cost for shooting should be 3. You could to take the best 3 shots and you'll have 1AP left over.

I don't think so. From the equipment book:

All pistols are onehanded and, therefore, cost 3 AP for a single attack and 4 AP for a targeted, triple, or burst attack.

And from the core:

Fast Shot: ...It costs you one less action point to use a
weapon. You cannot perform targeted shots, but all
weapons take one less action point to use...

So Miss Jackie Reed fires her pistol shots at 2 AP.

I've edited the original post with correct crit rolls and fixed the attack 2/4 notes to match.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 14, 2013

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Hey QuantumNinja, I mentioned this in the other thread, but maybe this belongs here: I think your Pistol gives you a +6 bonus to all your damage rolls. I'm sure Dr. Idle can confirm/correct that for us.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
Yes, I think it does. I've made the correct adjustments, and believe I may have killed every one of those men. :clint:

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 14, 2013

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
If you did, can we retcon it so that Mossman was about to start firing, but then he blinked and when he opened his eyes everybody was already dead? I think that, storywise, it'll really cement Jackie's status as a badass who ran into trouble, rather than some helpless girl out in the wastes.

Also, it's a hilarious image.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

I'm going to blame my near miss on the fact that by the time I swung the blacksuit guy was already falling over with a hole in his head. Let's just hope you both know not to shoot the sudden giant lizard out of no where.

Also I call shotgun. As in the shotgun on the ground, I'll probably ride in the back.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
@QuantumNinja - those gunshots are 3AP each. Reduced from 4. I still think you kill everyone or come drat close. I'll math it out after your adjustments.

I still also have to read through the other turns, but I'll get a post up over the weekend.

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.

Dr.Idle posted:

@QuantumNinja - those gunshots are 3AP each. Reduced from 4. I still think you kill everyone or come drat close. I'll math it out after your adjustments.

I'm cool if I don't kill 'em all, but could you clarify why the attacks are normally 4 AP? Is the handgun I'm using a two-handed weapon? Does each attack count as a burst or triple?

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
@QuantumNinja - I don't know why I believed that, and I apologize for making a fool out of myself and questioning your action unduly. I was really convinced that one-handed gun shots were 4AP, I can't explain why I believed otherwise and I hope you'll forgive my fool mistake.

:sweatdrop:

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Map up! I'll be painting my new house and getting ahead in school until Thursday afternoon. I'll post when I can in between. Otherwise, just get any actions you want in. Mossman is up.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

I hope I didn't overstep my sequence, but I saw the numbers and got a little overzealous. I think targeted attacks to the weapon do direct damage to it's condition, though I didn't see any rules for it in the core book.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Haha, no worries. If Went to Hell is ok with it, I am. You're about to put this guy to rest. As far as targeting goes, yeah, attacks to your weapons will inflict condition damage, but it isn't implicitly ruled so I'll be using my discretion to assign reasonable condition damage based on how spot on the attack was and its damage. A good crit may render a gun useless, where as a regular hit may just knock part of the stock off or disarm an enemy.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Well the harshest we could impose is a 1-1 damage to condition boxes and all leftover damage is done to the arms, though that may be a little self serving in this case.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
According to page 20 of the Core Rules:

Fallout Core Rules, p.20 posted:

Targeted shots have an increased chance of dealing a critical hit to the area targeted, either crippling in the case of limbs, causing blindness in the case of an eye, or causing extra damage. Attacking a weapon, does not cause a critical, instead it automatically knocks the weapon out of hand and, in case the weapon condition rules are in play, fills one damage box.

If Dr. Idle wants to revise these rules, I'm cool. Just offering this as a guideline.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Guess I failed an INT check when reading over the booklet because I missed that. That pretty much tells the entire situation flat out, no need to revise.

SevenSocks fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jun 19, 2013

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
Yep, yep. I'm looking like a fool again. That addresses it completely.

Went to Hell
Oct 29, 2011
Clearly, *I* am the one who should be running this game!

So, Mossman finds a suit of special modified Power Armor in the back of the pick-up. It's specially tailored so only Ghouls can wear it. With it, he can go Super Sayian 5 at will, and can generate light to form an energy katana. Also, the armor gives him +50% to Melee Weapons, +50% to Stealth and +75% to Gambling. Also, he can fly.

You guys can still hang out with him, because Mossman is a really cool guy and a loyal friend.

Guys?

...guys?

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Went to Hell posted:

A suit of special modified Power Armor. It's specially tailored so only Ghouls can wear it. With it, he can go Super Sayian 5 at will, and can generate light to form an energy katana. Also, the armor gives him +50% to Melee Weapons, +50% to Stealth and +75% to Gambling. Also, he can fly.

So the flying suit from Xcom: UFO defense? alternatively, a joke about how there's no nexusmods for tabletop fallout

Either way it's alright, because then my fragment-of-a-sun-god-stuck-in-an-oil-lamp character from one of the countless PDQ god games gets to come over and he can control every remaining nuke, which there's apparently a lot of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics

Went to Hell posted:

Clearly, *I* am the one who should be running this game!

Well, judging by that power armor that takes you into godhood haha, everyone might be better off. Instead, the old traveling ghoul vapidly stares off into space dreaming up fantasy scenarios. Not atypical for him after a gunfight lol.

SevenSocks posted:

So the flying suit from Xcom: UFO defense? alternatively, a joke about how there's no nexusmods for tabletop fallout

Either way it's alright, because then my fragment-of-a-sun-god-stuck-in-an-oil-lamp character from one of the countless PDQ god games gets to come over and he can control every remaining nuke, which there's apparently a lot of.

Well... That would be devastating to say the least!

• Locked thread