Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

EJO has always got your back. Shouldn't you return the favor?
I suspect it was virtually uninhabited when he originally went there, but now it's all apartment complexes and McMansions. Everything looks like it was built in the last 15 years max. And I'm confident enough that I'm willing to put some sweat equity into it at this point, as that's really all there is to do, when it comes down to it. And since it's private property, if he says it's cool, that's all I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

The Adama posted:

Right now I'm working under some very specific limitations, and anything that doesn't meet them gets discarded.

1.)The Paintings overlay with an area on a map.
2.)The cask WILL be inside this area. If it is outside the scope of the painting, the assumption is wrong.
3.)Most lines correspond DIRECTLY to features on the map, and likely provide direction.
4.)The verse clues move from long distance to short. The beginning is in miles, the end is in feet, roughly speaking.
5.)This guy is cheesy as gently caress, and is shoehorning these things in. He is not a great master poet. He's just a dude trying to make a contest work.
6.)He did not want to get in trouble digging, so the locations will likely be out of the way, and likely facing away from any paths or roads.

I've been spending the morning looking through the successful hunts and I do believe you're right. However, I think you're off on the verses. The pictures start with the general lat/long coordinates, then a few pictures to get you close.

Then the verse takes over. It starts in both cases from just outside the park. You may have to traverse a long distance across it, but you will be in the general area -- no more than a quarter mile. The verses get ever more specific, as you travel closer and closer to the cask. Casks were buried in fairly secluded areas. There are generally other clues in the photo to tell you that you're near or in the right place.

He is a hack and cheesy as gently caress and from his line about thinking they'd all be found in a month, I don't think he was very creative about the lyrics. If you have to stretch the meaning, that's probably not it.

Very Nice Eraser
May 28, 2011

The Adama posted:

Near men
With wind rose
(Rise on the bridge)

You lay out a pretty good argument, but according to this article the modern version of that bridge was only constructed in 1994. I wonder if the original bridge would still match your interpretation?

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

BJG posted:

...yeah, I previously tried working out some kind of trail involving Ruelle Palace which is right next to this...

That's a lucky brand jeans store; the company was founded in 1990. It's highly unlikely that any of the verses or pictures correspond to places of business or houses since those change and get painted frequently (unless they are historic).

The Adama posted:

Right now I'm working under some very specific limitations, and anything that doesn't meet them gets discarded.

1.)The Paintings overlay with an area on a map.
2.)The cask WILL be inside this area. If it is outside the scope of the painting, the assumption is wrong.
3.)Most lines correspond DIRECTLY to features on the map, and likely provide direction.
4.)The verse clues move from long distance to short. The beginning is in miles, the end is in feet, roughly speaking.
5.)This guy is cheesy as gently caress, and is shoehorning these things in. He is not a great master poet. He's just a dude trying to make a contest work.
6.)He did not want to get in trouble digging, so the locations will likely be out of the way, and likely facing away from any paths or roads.

None of those limitations have any precedence. Neither of the discovered casks had any overlays other than the very very general ones limiting the location to a state or large city and provided no further direction. There were also no driving directions, which makes sense since if the directions are for driving, how will you know where to walk or dig? And he wasn't cheesy; from the discovered casks both the pictures and the verses were very literal, but they were also vague, which makes them easy to apply to other places (which is what makes this hunt hard). Also it's not entirely true that the places will be out of the way as the one in Chicago was in plain sight of the path.

The Adama posted:

Here's the area on the map that corresponds to the walking stick.

That's a huge stretch.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

The Adama posted:

Cask 10

So, I'm waiting on permission from the property owners to dig, but I'm pretty positive I have Cask 10 figured out, and that it will help with a lot of the others.

If we go with Milwaukie, OR:

I'll put up pics in a bit, but the map overlays with all sort of stuff in the area, and most of the juggled objects correspond with clues.

The ball in her hand is near an area where Mitchell St is divided into three sections by city blocks, and each one is at a different latitude.

The millstone corresponds with Oswego Lake Park, which is roughly in the shape of a harpsichord.

The head of the walking stick aligns with Cedar Island Park.

Cast in copper refers to the key itself, and on the map, it is near Three Creeks Natural Area, but more importantly the on ramp I-205 aka the Grand 200.

The 92 steps means take the exit for 92nd St. Drive on pas West Mount Scott(Compass)

To the Culvert(Johnson Creek Rd.)

This is where you start actually walking.

Walk SE and you will literally find a young birch. And a little farther on to the SE there is a small separate stand of trees. And there are 4 more birch trees there. So pass three more, and the final, fifth birch is where it is buried. I went there, and at the southern foot of that tree was a big rear end rock.

I also wish you luck but, what about the obvious silhouette of the building? Is there something near there that resembles that silhouette? I would even disregard it a bit and say go for it but, that is eerily an almost exact silhouette of our city hall.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

crashdome posted:

I also wish you luck but, what about the obvious silhouette of the building? Is there something near there that resembles that silhouette? I would even disregard it a bit and say go for it but, that is eerily an almost exact silhouette of our city hall.

Yeah, I mean go for it if you like but it's hard to ignore the city hall and from what I've seen I'm not convinced that he's barking up the right tree.

Bloke
May 22, 2004

New Orleans

Ok so running north toward the mississipi gets me to here

I think these objects are on the clock hand, which is next to a telegraph pole

Google maps http://goo.gl/maps/kjbsT

I think that's it....I live some 5 thousand miles away so can't do any more.

Side note, further down the path is a lamp post with 19 on it. 19 is in the picture but other than the number there is nothing special about it as far as I can tell

Bloke fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 7, 2013

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

I think at this point the only way we'll ever really know for sure is to dig one up, and it's fortunate that we have people in both places to try. I've already put those gears into motion for my theory, and I'm going to press forward with that. If I'm wrong, oh well, I waste a day digging. If I'm right, then yay for me, and we know more about how this guy operates.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

crashdome posted:

That is eerily an almost exact silhouette of our city hall.

It's not almost, it is an exact silhouette.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Bloke posted:

New Orleans

Side note, further down the path is a lamp post with 19 on it. 19 is in the picture but other than the number there is nothing special about it as far as I can tell

The symbols on the clock point to 11 and 1. Maybe if you cross reference from those 2 objects (what are they?) you get a triangle that points to the cask?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Milwaukee

TheLastManStanding posted:

I have pinpointed the spot the picture was taken and it is directly in front of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts. I went into the lobby to see if there was anything that resembled a clue but unfortunately it is bare inside; no art at all. I wandered around Pere Marquette Park which is where davey and I looked for a bit last weekend. There are some interesting things to be seen there that I will post later. There are quite a few birch trees which are old at the corner near Old World Third street. Three birches are on a mound which is odd and could be significant. There are several plaques for different things scattered around the park.

I feel so close but there is nothing definite yet to say, "dig here".

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 7, 2013

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Neutrino posted:

I feel so close but there is nothing definite yet to say, "dig here".

I think it's seriously going to take a lot of foot-work from us in the city. After next weekend, my weekends are free, so I'll definitely be around to help look around more, and I work downtown, so I can check where ever out.

I just wish I weren't so seriously terrible at riddles.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

TheLastManStanding posted:

I didn't want to sound too disheartening but, yeah.

Any possibility we have the wrong poem?

Edit: also, I will try and explore away from downtown since many of you are already in that area. If you need me to do otherwise, I will. I am trying to set one day aside for biking around town and I'll use the hunt as my exercise motivator.

crashdome fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 7, 2013

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Comstar posted:

The symbols on the clock point to 11 and 1. Maybe if you cross reference from those 2 objects (what are they?) you get a triangle that points to the cask?

Yeah it looks like it's been intentionally drawn like that.

It's going to need some scouting around for more visual clues, I can't believe those circle things are the only ones unless of course the area has been altered in the last 30 years

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Charleston folks, I know there is a monument to the HMS Seraph near the Citadel. This was part of the Seraph, is it part of the monument itself?

Because look at the arches and bolts on this thing, and then look at the bolts on the Sumter ornament and the arches of the mask.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

Neutrino posted:

Milwaukee
I have pinpointed the spot the picture was taken and it is directly in front of the Marcus Center for the Performing Arts. I went into the lobby to see if there was anything that resembled a clue but unfortunately it is bare inside; no art at all.
That's probably a generic clue. If you look at the solved puzzle images, you'll find there's a lot of clues to get you to the general area. For instance, on the Cleveland puzzle, Terminal Tower can be seen -- but that's 5.5 miles from where the treasure was actually found.

I'd like more information on how the poems were matched with the images.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009
Houston

So it has been mentioned by BJG that the Lillian Schnitzer Fountain in front of the Houston Garden Center at Hermann Park looks reminiscent of the djinn in the clue picture from a certain angle.

Here's another angle:

The inscription on the fountain is here:

Like maybe I'm being crazy and reaching, but I think this fountain is related both because of the way it looks and because the inscription is a Wordsworth quote from the collection "A Golden Treasury."

Sesq
Nov 8, 2002

I wish I could tear him apart!

Bloke posted:

Yeah it looks like it's been intentionally drawn like that.

It's going to need some scouting around for more visual clues, I can't believe those circle things are the only ones unless of course the area has been altered in the last 30 years

If the New Orleans cask is in the Audobon Zoo, we can probably just straight up write it off. Any landmarks there have been rearranged or replaced many times in the past 30 years as exhibits come and go, and there's a pretty good chance it's been paved over at some point.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Approach with caution.

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Houston
Like maybe I'm being crazy and reaching, but I think this fountain is related both because of the way it looks and because the inscription is a Wordsworth quote from the collection "A Golden Treasury."
Some have speculated that "take your task to the 982" really means "take your task, two the 982." 982 X 2 = 1964.

The Adama
Jan 6, 2003

Very Nice Eraser posted:

You lay out a pretty good argument, but according to this article the modern version of that bridge was only constructed in 1994. I wonder if the original bridge would still match your interpretation?

drat, you're right. Although from the crappy pics I can find of the old bridge, I think it was a drawbridge, which would also work with the rose/rise interpretation. But with such a major landmark gone, and there having to be such major renovations at the base of it for a larger bridge to be built in its place, that is very disheartening.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Haven't made it to N.O. to check everything out yet. Been busy with work, and by time I get off and get down there, everything will be dark. I'm hoping for maybe some time this weekend, or next weekend if I can't make it this time.

BJG
Jun 4, 2013

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

So it has been mentioned by BJG that the Lillian Schnitzer Fountain in front of the Houston Garden Center at Hermann Park looks reminiscent of the djinn

I still like the fountain, and its neighbouring golf course, though there are problems with it; like this (edited) question and answer...

quote:

Q) The children's zoo is being renovated and bulldozed over. Can you at least confirm whether I am in the right location or not?

A) It might be there...it would not be a waste of time to dig there, but I cannot make any guarantees whatsoever

That was taken as encouragement. It's not exactly discouragement. How could it not be a waste of time if the casque wasn't there? On the other hand, perhaps you could argue that BP's apparent indifference to the fate of the zoo was because the casque was elsewhere. His other replies to similar questions included:

"After 22 years all I can say is I."

...and...

"really, i don't think i can answer any more questions"

...so in general, he wasn't very forthcoming.

...then there's all the stuff that hints strongly at the miniature railway; like the "cold as glass" you found, "small of scale, step across", and the rest of it. I haven't justified the golf course fence at all, though I'd like to get a date for it. I've vaguely wondered if "small of scale, step across, perspective should not be lost" might indicate crossing the nearby railway (if it was there at the time) without losing the perspective that makes the fountain resemble the djinn, but it's all pretty thin. Another fairly unhelpful idea was that "looking back" might be a hint for "reflection" (pool). I'm puzzled by the division between tiles and plain ground in the image, and wonder if that might have been a visible feature at the location.

BJG fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jun 7, 2013

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NYC, Picture 12

I think I've spotted something in the surf (rotated with the top to the left):

Here's what it looks like to me:

This is reminiscent of Grant's Tomb:

That's not a match as far as I'm concerned, but it's the sort of building it reminds me of. I think we need a circular building without the colonnaded drum under the dome. Grant's dome is also conical, not arched. I haven't found a better match yet.

Maybe I'm just seeing things, I don't know. This picture is so generic and nonspecific it's driving me nuts.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

SAN FRANCISCO/CASK 1

We have a plan for 3 people to head into the city tomorrow to scout. Our main points of interest are the Golden Gate Park and Stern Grove, though I'd also like to take a look at the view from that Russian Hill park to see about the "Gh" of Ghiradelli Square.

I have a super hi-res copy of the scan on my phone, and may try to take a DSLR if it's got batteries in it.

Does anyone have any requests? Bear in mind that golden gate park is huge!

Maguro
Apr 24, 2006

Why is the sun always bullying me?

Bloke posted:

New Orleans

I think that's it....I live some 5 thousand miles away so can't do any more.

I think those are the newer bike-locking places that they are putting all over town.

I actually live about a block away from Audobon park. If you guys can narrow down a location I would feel a lot more comfortable poking around there rather than Armstrong park. Way less police walking around.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
"Gh" of Ghiradelli Square is the same font and everything, viewed backwards, that I'd really want to see pictures of everything from a park that can view those 2, and only 2, letters backwards.

Maguro posted:

I think those are the newer bike-locking places that they are putting all over town.

I actually live about a block away from Audobon park. If you guys can narrow down a location I would feel a lot more comfortable poking around there rather than Armstrong park. Way less police walking around.

Can you go and look at them closely and see if they look like the picture? If you both face towards, and face away from them, what do you see?

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
can somebody blow up the right side of cask 9? specifically to the right of his hair...there's something there, much lighter than the rest of the background shading...also edit again: is the usa expo 67 display visible in the background of habitat 67? a picture where they align over each other somewhere?

stab fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 8, 2013

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

stab posted:

can somebody blow up the right side of cask 9? specifically to the right of his hair...there's something there, much lighter than the rest of the background shading...also edit again: is the usa expo 67 display visible in the background of habitat 67? a picture where they align over each other somewhere?

Original:

Contrasted:

Inverted original:

Contrasted inverted:

Even if it's nothing to do with the location, it's still pretty creepy.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Devyl posted:

Original:

Contrasted:

Inverted original:

Contrasted inverted:

Even if it's nothing to do with the location, it's still pretty creepy.

thanks! have we done this exercise with all of cask 9? with our markings and all....

Bloke
May 22, 2004

Maguro posted:

Maybe if you're not sure could you check?

Here's how I got to that location

Verse 7

At stone wall's door - General Stonewall Jackson's confederate camp was based at Audubon park
The air smells sweet - Odeur Bon (french)

Not far away
High posts are three
Education and Justice
For all to see

Lamps that look like scales of justice outside the zoo

Sounds from the sky - Bird island
Near ace is high - Ace = hole in one - Bird island is next to a Golf course (hole close by)
Running north, but first across - The trail is used by runners, but first cross the bridge

In jewel's direction
Is an object
Of Twain's attention

Toward the missisippi go around the trail counter-clockwise

We need to pinpoint the rest (if the above is correct)

Giant pole
Giant step
To the place
The casque is kept.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bloke fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 8, 2013

ohnorobot
Nov 24, 2006

10> OH
20> NO
30> GOTO 10
Regarding New Orleans, I was skeptical at first but it sounds pretty plausible. The figure under the clock hands looks like a Jockey, and there has been a stable operating in Audubon park for ages. I'm trying to rack my brain as to what the giant pole and giant step might mean, sounds almost like wordplay.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Comstar posted:

"Gh" of Ghiradelli Square is the same font and everything, viewed backwards, that I'd really want to see pictures of everything from a park that can view those 2, and only 2, letters backwards.

Can you go and look at them closely and see if they look like the picture? If you both face towards, and face away from them, what do you see?

I was gonna comment on this earlier when someone posted a comparison picture, but they're not really the same font. The brace on the 'h' is completely different, and the G is much rounder on the sign than the picture, for a start.

Now where's the 'typography nerd' smiley?

ChickenOfTomorrow fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 8, 2013

allta
Mar 28, 2011

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

SAN FRANCISCO/CASK 1

We have a plan for 3 people to head into the city tomorrow to scout. Our main points of interest are the Golden Gate Park and Stern Grove, though I'd also like to take a look at the view from that Russian Hill park to see about the "Gh" of Ghiradelli Square.

I have a super hi-res copy of the scan on my phone, and may try to take a DSLR if it's got batteries in it.

Does anyone have any requests? Bear in mind that golden gate park is huge!

Take as many pictures as possible, also it might help to have a print out of the first picture and/or the verse.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

I was gonna comment on this earlier when someone posted a comparison picture, but they're not really the same font. The brace on the 'h' is completely different, and the G is much rounder on the sign than the picture, for a start.

Now where's the 'typography nerd' smiley?

Maybe the sign used to be different?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

allta posted:

Take as many pictures as possible, also it might help to have a print out of the first picture and/or the verse.

We're still not clear on which verse, though.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
For proponents of the Sullivan's Island theory of Cask 2 - Charleston, I'll be heading out there tomorrow to run in the Floppin' Flounder 5k and take my dog to the beach. Are there any places out there that someone would like pictures of?

Guuse
May 11, 2009

Typh posted:

Montreal

Maybe I missed it, but I haven't seen much discussion on what I see as the most intentional outline in the painting, the stiff neck:

The two sides are blatantly asymmetric. One is smooth while the other has notches. Also near the top on the right (bottom left in this picture) it folds a little, despite the cloth being clearly stiff.

It most looks like a building, but if it's a round spire, it wouldn't be asymmetric. I scoured Montreal buildings on Flickr for an hour and couldn't find an exact match. A bell? A hill? WHAT IS THIS.

edit: cleaned it up a bit.

No it doesn't. "World of Tomorrow" is associated with the 1939 New York World's Fair.

I found this footpath on the Ile Sainte-Helene, one of the islands that the 67 Expo was held on:

While Google's path doesn't reflect it, if you look closer you can see where there seems to be a hitch like in the collar:

Here's a picture from 2004 giving a bit of a clearer view:

And here's what it looked like at some point between when the original Expo buildings were torn down and 2004ish (which is as far back as I was able to go in Google Earth). Maybe this how it looked in the 80s? It's marked as "Sainte-Helene Island of Today" on this site, so at least it must be how it looked in the 90s.

Just eyeballing it, I think that it could be close. Does someone who is able want to try superimposing them? I'm also curious if the lower-right bit of the silhouette would match up with the bridge over to that small island.

fanpantstic
Jul 30, 2010

inner breathlessness
outer restlessness

Guuse posted:

Just eyeballing it, I think that it could be close. Does someone who is able want to try superimposing them? I'm also curious if the lower-right bit of the silhouette would match up with the bridge over to that small island.

SO CLOSE! I don't think it's the path, I think it's the lake.

e: Gif for clarity:

I wonder if this suggests the area the cask is in? (Limited by the edges of the collar and the lake?)

fanpantstic fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 8, 2013

Mad Mafioso
Jan 13, 2009

Maguro posted:

You ever order Reginelli's? I could have brought you food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

bonestructure posted:

For proponents of the Sullivan's Island theory of Cask 2 - Charleston, I'll be heading out there tomorrow to run in the Floppin' Flounder 5k and take my dog to the beach. Are there any places out there that someone would like pictures of?

Fort Moutlrie, please. West side of it, if possible, to see if it fits in with Verse 5.

E: and of course any signs/significant monuments/statues.

TotalHell fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 8, 2013