Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Thanks folks. These are probably all pretty good suggestions. She actually did play about half of Dragon Age: Origins. Liked it overall, found the plot a little bit cliche'd though. And also the text was so small on the screen that it was hard to play. The rest sound like pretty decent ideas. I'll definitely pick up BG&E. I've got Portal 1 and 2, Paper Mario 2 (and Super), Longest Journey (although I never played it). She's never showed interest in adventure games, but maybe hasn't been exposed to good ones. I'm not familiar with Anno, though. What sort of game is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TehGherkin posted:

I recently tried out The Punisher for PS2 and immediately bought it for PC. (We have a regular 'old-schoolish' night where we get high, get some pizza and play stuff from the SNES / Genesis to PS2 / Xbox, so I could've borrowed it off him, but I prefer playing anything shooty on PC if I can). I really loved the fast, yet smooth and pretty stylish (especially for a PS2) action. What I really loved was the sort of 'score attack' it had, where killing enemies quick while looking cool and without getting hit gave you extra points. The levels are usually fairly short, sweet and action packed and weapon choice gives you some replayability, plus I don't always nail those interrogations (The controls for some of them are a bit wobbly with a mouse).

I'm looking for similar stuff basically. In the same vein I really enjoyed Bulletstorm, and I was also a fan of Devil May Cry (haven't tried out the 360 one though) and Ninja Gaiden (although that was less about the score and more about the extreme satisfaction of the difficulty curve).

If anyone has any recommendations for that, I'd love them. I've got a decent gaming PC (I can play most things on high settings and generally everything on 'okay' settings) and a 360, but I prefer playing games on my PC when possible as I generally prefer a mouse and keyboard and can always plug a controller in when I need one.
You're pretty much literally describing the new Call of Juarez: Gunslinger. Ongoing thread about it over here.

Lurkee Mcgee
Jun 5, 2006
You guys have talked me into Sins of a Solar Empire, which one should I pick up? They're not numbered.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Lurkee Mcgee posted:

You guys have talked me into Sins of a Solar Empire, which one should I pick up? They're not numbered.

Rebellion. Rebellion has all the content of previous sins games.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Funktor posted:

Thanks folks. These are probably all pretty good suggestions. She actually did play about half of Dragon Age: Origins. Liked it overall, found the plot a little bit cliche'd though. And also the text was so small on the screen that it was hard to play. The rest sound like pretty decent ideas. I'll definitely pick up BG&E. I've got Portal 1 and 2, Paper Mario 2 (and Super), Longest Journey (although I never played it). She's never showed interest in adventure games, but maybe hasn't been exposed to good ones. I'm not familiar with Anno, though. What sort of game is it?

Anno is a economy/trade game where you start on an island and build houses for your citizens to move into, and then try to fulfill their needs so they advance through the levels and go from lowly peasants to nobles and the like. You build various resource production chains and manage trading with your neighbors and trying to settle nearby islands to gain access to resources you need. There's very little combat, and it's entirely optional except for some campaigns which probably only exist so that they can be like "see you totally can use the combat, guys". If she likes Civ for the city/empire building part and not the conquering part, she will probably really get into it.

Anno 1404 (Dawn of Discovery in North America) is a more medieval/victorian style setting. Anno 2070 is a more futuristicky style. 2070 is the newer game, but they play roughly the same and you can probably find Dawn of Discovery for cheaper (it was removed from Steam because of some patching problems and some sort of dickwaving contest with Ubisoft, but you can find it on other sites for like 5 bucks now).

It sounds like she likes the same sort of games I do, so I'll also suggest trying some of the stealth genre games like Thief or Splinter Cell (the earlier ones before it became an action shooter). I'll play shooters but I really enjoy the patient "avoid combat by not loving up" style game, and the exploration in the Thief series to find all the goodies adds an extra layer of enjoyment.

The new Tomb Raider was amazing too and that features a strong female lead. It's full of twitchy QTE but I didn't find any of them frustrating and a failure only sets you back a couple seconds. She might hate the boss fights though, but the story might be worth it for her.
I guess the story might be kind of disturbing though too... it's pretty brutal.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Seems like there's been a ton of turn-based/4x games that have been released in the last couple years, but now that I have the time and money, I have no idea what to play. What would you recommend for somebody who liked Alpha Centauri, Age of Wonders and HoMM 3?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm looking for a game that is the equivalent of like a CoD Zombie mode. I want to defend a base with traps and poo poo while blowing away with weapons at hordes of creatures.

I've already played Sanctum
OMD & OMD2
and Sang Froid

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

It might be a bit simple or cartoony, but if you can find someone else to play with Dungeon Defenders satisfies both the traps and the hitting hundreds of of creatures who want to break your stuff. It's basically like OMD but with more RPG elements, and co-op.

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Turtlicious posted:

I'm looking for a game that is the equivalent of like a CoD Zombie mode. I want to defend a base with traps and poo poo while blowing away with weapons at hordes of creatures.

OMD & OMD2
and Sang Froid

Killing Floor?
Nation Red?

xyigx
Nov 6, 2012

Turtlicious posted:

OMD & OMD2
and Sang Froid

The sniper elite Nazi zombie army game is exactly what your talking about.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I got Civ V on sale recently and I love it. I've never played a game like it (I'm sheltered I guess) but it's making my lovely computer scream and crawl. I am looking for a similar game with less computer requirements. The obvious choice I guess is Civ IV but is there another game (or series) in the genre that shouldn't be overlooked?

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

bigperm posted:

I got Civ V on sale recently and I love it. I've never played a game like it (I'm sheltered I guess) but it's making my lovely computer scream and crawl. I am looking for a similar game with less computer requirements. The obvious choice I guess is Civ IV but is there another game (or series) in the genre that shouldn't be overlooked?

Civ 4 with Warlords and Beyond the Sword, and Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, full stop. Those two are the highlights of the whole Civilization series - Civ 4 for its almost perfectly polished gameplay and huge mod collection (which you should take full advantage of) and SMAC for its superior atmosphere which any competitor or sequel has yet to match.

If you want to venture into the world of space strategy games, Master of Orion 2 is the undisputed king of them and can be a hearty rival to Civilization's best.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

bigperm posted:

I think I solved a lot of performance issues with Civ V by forcing it to run in Direct X 9 instead of 11, if you haven't already tried that.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fruits of the sea posted:

Seems like there's been a ton of turn-based/4x games that have been released in the last couple years, but now that I have the time and money, I have no idea what to play. What would you recommend for somebody who liked Alpha Centauri, Age of Wonders and HoMM 3?

Endless Space was pretty interesting. It's a bit flawed, but it's definitely got that 4X "Oh god it's four in the morning I need to be up in two hours" factor, the UI is great, and it's got a lot of polish. The combat is a bit eh, but you'll definitely get your money's worth from it.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Hello games I would like a play a free or cheap pure puzzle game (browser is fine), something with no frills like "physics" or "narrative". I would prefer no platforming or timing-based puzzles. I am a casual and a contard and I am not smart enough to handle that game where you push the boxes together to grow flowers. Thanks. A balder knight just riposted me so don't say Dark Souls, please.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.
Puzzle Agent is a lot of fun and has a wide variety of cool puzzles, none of them terribly hard. Also, the story is batshit insane :toot:

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Toki Tori. It is technically a platformer I guess but there is no jump button and no "platforming based" puzzles. It is 100% a puzzle game. The actual puzzles are top notch and increase in difficulty at a comfortable pace.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Dicky B posted:

Toki Tori. It is technically a platformer I guess but there is no jump button and no "platforming based" puzzles. It is 100% a puzzle game. The actual puzzles are top notch and increase in difficulty at a comfortable pace.
There's definitely some timing-based puzzles in there however so it might not meet all of the poster's criteria.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
I'm not sure if Pushmo would be considered "platforming based", but perhaps look at that? It's set up in a sort of platforming manner, but it's not twitchy at all and the rules for what jumps you can and can't do are set out in the game's tutorials.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Another recommendation: What's in the box? is a clever little free puzzle game which kept me occupied for the duration of a cold last week.

MPLS to NOLA
Aug 14, 2010

i gotta little trigger
twitchin in my brain
and when that doesn't start
there's murder in my heart
Thank you for all of the recommendations, and it would give me pleasure were you to continue to make them, but I am going to play Dark Souls.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Can I get a recommendation on a vs-AI poker game with good production values? I enjoy Poker Night at the Inventory, but the banter just gets in the way after a while.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can I get a recommendation on a vs-AI poker game with good production values? I enjoy Poker Night at the Inventory, but the banter just gets in the way after a while.

I'm pretty sure there's an option to turn banter off.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Looking for games like Shogun 2 Total War, except ones that can actually run on an older PC.
The original Shogun has way too many issues on modern hardware so that's out of the question.

Really though, I'll settle for ancient feudal Japan RTSes of any kind... also I think I remember hearing about a really obscure Total War clone a while back that had a Japanese title but I can't remember the name of it at all.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Deakul posted:

Looking for games like Shogun 2 Total War, except ones that can actually run on an older PC.
The original Shogun has way too many issues on modern hardware so that's out of the question.

Really though, I'll settle for ancient feudal Japan RTSes of any kind... also I think I remember hearing about a really obscure Total War clone a while back that had a Japanese title but I can't remember the name of it at all.

That'd be Takeda. I actually prefer it to TW because it's more historically accurate (not that either of them is great in that aspect, but Total War is terrible) but it's pretty good. Takeda 3 came out in 2009 so it's not all that old either. They still charge a little much considering its age but there's a demo you can try.

The Nobunaga's Ambition games will absolutely run on older PCs but are hard to find and Japanese-only. RTS elements started in NA 9 and it became full-blown RTS in NA 12. NA 13, the newest one, is trash and should be avoided.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Was the Amazing Spider-Man game any good? I've had it for months and I've played it like one time.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Genpei Turtle posted:

That'd be Takeda. I actually prefer it to TW because it's more historically accurate (not that either of them is great in that aspect, but Total War is terrible) but it's pretty good. Takeda 3 came out in 2009 so it's not all that old either. They still charge a little much considering its age but there's a demo you can try.

The Nobunaga's Ambition games will absolutely run on older PCs but are hard to find and Japanese-only. RTS elements started in NA 9 and it became full-blown RTS in NA 12. NA 13, the newest one, is trash and should be avoided.

Yeah, that's it!
Sweet, been trying to remember the name of that game for a while.
Will definitely try the demo.

Might have to pass on the Nobunaga series if they're Japanese only, though if there's a translation I'm up for trying them.

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin
I'm looking for "scuzzy" games, or games that show violence as something ugly and spiritually degrading. Kane and Lynch 2 was stylish as hell when it came to this, too bad everything else sucked about it. Other games I'd say fit the bill are: Hotline Miami, Spec Ops: The Line, the Condemned series, and to a lesser extent Far Cry 3.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Sad Mammal posted:

I'm looking for "scuzzy" games, or games that show violence as something ugly and spiritually degrading. Kane and Lynch 2 was stylish as hell when it came to this, too bad everything else sucked about it. Other games I'd say fit the bill are: Hotline Miami, Spec Ops: The Line, the Condemned series, and to a lesser extent Far Cry 3.

Manhunt 2. It's quite vicious.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Sad Mammal posted:

I'd add the first Postal game, but definitely not the later ones.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Endless Space was pretty interesting. It's a bit flawed, but it's definitely got that 4X "Oh god it's four in the morning I need to be up in two hours" factor, the UI is great, and it's got a lot of polish. The combat is a bit eh, but you'll definitely get your money's worth from it.

Thanks, been having a great time exploring/colonizing. You were right that the combat is a bit off- I think it could be a lot of fun if they expanded on the trading card aspect although that might offend 4x purists.

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

Max Payne 3 is punchy and violent and dirty. The constant whizz-bang bullet cams and slow motion don't really glorify it so much as highlight how miserable it is.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I'm on a laptop for a while, with a mobile videocard and a terrible processor. I'm going braindead playing roguelikes - I need something that gives an experience, a game that can hook me in for multiple reasons and stick with me even after I'm done. A game like Metal Gear Solid 1 or Star Control 2 or the Infinity Engine games or System Shock or Snatcher, but not them. I've played probably everything that was mainstream and I've gone over the SNES and PS1 libraries, so I guess I'm looking for recommendations of older PC games, DOS games, the kind you would find on Abandonia. I've gone looking through it myself multiple times before, but I always end up just downloading a ton of things that sit in a folder and never get tried. I need someone to persuade me into sticking with a few. The only genre limitations I can think of are that I don't want a point&click adventure game, I already have too many of those sitting on a harddrive in my gaming computer.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrBims posted:

I'm on a laptop for a while, with a mobile videocard and a terrible processor. I'm going braindead playing roguelikes - I need something that gives an experience, a game that can hook me in for multiple reasons and stick with me even after I'm done. A game like Metal Gear Solid 1 or Star Control 2 or the Infinity Engine games or System Shock or Snatcher, but not them. I've played probably everything that was mainstream and I've gone over the SNES and PS1 libraries, so I guess I'm looking for recommendations of older PC games, DOS games, the kind you would find on Abandonia. I've gone looking through it myself multiple times before, but I always end up just downloading a ton of things that sit in a folder and never get tried. I need someone to persuade me into sticking with a few. The only genre limitations I can think of are that I don't want a point&click adventure game, I already have too many of those sitting on a hard drive in my gaming computer.

Sounds like you need to move on Sega Genesis games.

Ok, well let me tell you about Phantasy Star IV. I know what you're thinking right now 4? What about the other 3? gently caress'em this game is so great it eats the other 3 and shits them out for breakfast. It's a game that transcends fuckin' everything so hard that time and space itself folds in on itself, and math professors just go "I don't know, call it 4 gently caress man I'm stoned." It's even got the Ph spellin, because it's Phat. That's how cool this game is, it fucks off math AND spelling. Let that sink in.

Done?

This poo poo has all your RPG needs, it's crazy in depth. You get 5 dudes and you wail on like, aliens and monsters and poo poo. Also there's an evil guy. Everyone is an anime but it's ok, because there is this dude with blue hair who will make you just go, "drat, blue haired dude is a fuckin' beast" and while the main dude is some blonde wimp, you still see him kick rear end too. This story goes every-fuckin where. Move over Walkin Dead, this poo poo will make you shed more tears than Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater. Story is off the chain, and the whole time you'll just be alll agape and poo poo with your jaw hangin' out like "Whaaa?"

What about combat? Man this thing has got combat, this thing has got combat up the fuckin' balls, it's got this system where you can queue up special abilities and poo poo and then unleash them for combo's. No other RPG got combos like that, even chrono trigger you had to learn them. Nah these? Can do most of them from the beginning, just got to find them, their sneaky like Charlie in the trees.

In short, Phantasy Star IV is JRPG the game, but it's fun as gently caress.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
What are the best indie games out there? Genre doesn't matter.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

ManOfTheYear posted:

This is such a loaded question. Just go to the Indie section in Steam and check out the top 100 Top Sellers list and choose what catches your fancy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

ManOfTheYear posted:

Oh god, that's an undertaking so massive a dude wrote a book about it. 250 Indie Games You Must Play, I believe. It's a solid list, though not up to date, and not at all exhaustive.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a decent PC alternative to Minecraft? Sort of like Android's Survivalcraft. I already have Terraria, but 2D just isn't the same.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Is Armored Core V any good? I'm thinking of either picking up V or 4:A and they're the same price..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

MrBims posted:

I'm on a laptop for a while, with a mobile videocard and a terrible processor. I'm going braindead playing roguelikes - I need something that gives an experience, a game that can hook me in for multiple reasons and stick with me even after I'm done. A game like Metal Gear Solid 1 or Star Control 2 or the Infinity Engine games or System Shock or Snatcher, but not them. I've played probably everything that was mainstream and I've gone over the SNES and PS1 libraries, so I guess I'm looking for recommendations of older PC games, DOS games, the kind you would find on Abandonia. I've gone looking through it myself multiple times before, but I always end up just downloading a ton of things that sit in a folder and never get tried. I need someone to persuade me into sticking with a few. The only genre limitations I can think of are that I don't want a point&click adventure game, I already have too many of those sitting on a harddrive in my gaming computer.

Along with Genesis games, have you considered GBA games? There are plenty of excellent RPGs: Tactics Ogre, Golden Suns, Fire Emblems, and Riveria to name a few.