Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Baron
Nov 12, 2007
They were all out of Marquess.

Spiderdrake posted:

The save states in PvE thing is loving awesome, though.
If that allows us to replay, say, 10 moves back then yes :iia:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Hey, so I know a lot of people on here got in at GK and I know there's going to be at least one goon guild. What I'm wondering is whether or not you all plan to give the extra boosters to yourselves, or if I could snag some.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Al Baron posted:

If that allows us to replay, say, 10 moves back then yes :iia:.

I think that just means you can quit mid-game then come back later and pick up where you left off.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Spiderdrake posted:

The save states in PvE thing is loving awesome, though.

Even if you can't rewind as suggested above, it's still kickass. I do like the idea of a rewind feature for PvE, maybe with a reduction to the final reward.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.
Rewinding in a TCG is about as blatantly cheating as you can get (especially since it gives you foreknowledge of upcoming cards, not just the ability to correct mistakes), so I would be totally shocked if it were supported.

Edit: It'd be okay for a training mode though.

Kairos fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jun 9, 2013

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Kairos posted:

Rewinding in a TCG is about as blatantly cheating as you can get (especially since it gives you foreknowledge of upcoming cards, not just the ability to correct mistakes), so I would be totally shocked if it were supported.

Don't ruin my fantasy! :allears:

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

pumpinglemma posted:

I think that just means you can quit mid-game then come back later and pick up where you left off.

This is my understanding from the stream, and it is awesome.

VVV: I'm either going to draft mine or use them to con friends who didn't KS the game into trying it out.

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 9, 2013

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Some Numbers posted:

Hey, so I know a lot of people on here got in at GK and I know there's going to be at least one goon guild. What I'm wondering is whether or not you all plan to give the extra boosters to yourselves, or if I could snag some.

I can't speak for everyone, but personally I was factoring those extra 90 packs into my "investment" so if I don't use them for myself I was probably going to try to sell the codes on SA mart or something.

I'm expecting the set one boosters to probably end up being less than a dollar each on their auction house, wouldn't surprise me if they get as low as 5 packs for 3 plat.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I'll Probably offer at least one or two of the Guildmaster packs I get from GK for Goon Only Drafting

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
Boosters from Set 1 are gonna be next to worthless with the amount flooding the market.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

BenRGamer posted:

Boosters from Set 1 are gonna be next to worthless with the amount flooding the market.

All depends on how many people try it once it's free to play.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

BenRGamer posted:

Then you had better draft them like crazy.

:black101:draftdraftdraftdraftdraft:black101:

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
I've never played a Booster Draft before, to be honest. The first time I heard it I thought it sounded like the name of some generic Sci-Fi Racer Hero.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I intend to draft every single set 1 booster I get my hands on.

I intend to draft most set 2 and 3 boosters I end up with.

What I'm trying to say is that drafting is amazing and is the main reason I backed Hex.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea, the reason I'm spergin hard over the relative value of cards / equipment is so that I can trade it all for Platinum so I can draft all my boosters away

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

^^^ Well, if we get about 3x more players than those that backed in KS the market should be good enough to do so. If it's just us, then we're probably screwed.

BenRGamer posted:

I've never played a Booster Draft before, to be honest. The first time I heard it I thought it sounded like the name of some generic Sci-Fi Racer Hero.

Drafting is quite possibly the best thing to do in a TCG. Do some googling about MTG drafting strategy and see if that doesn't tickle your pickle. Seriously, I love drafting so much. :toot:

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.
I just heard about this game like a week ago and it looks pretty slick! I didn't have the money to Kickstart it, unfortunately, but I'll be keeping my eye on it for when it hits beta. Magic was fine, but I've gotten bored of it, and being able to draft at a reasonably sane price ($2 a pack? Yes please!) sounds great.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Spincut posted:

I just heard about this game like a week ago and it looks pretty slick! I didn't have the money to Kickstart it, unfortunately, but I'll be keeping my eye on it for when it hits beta. Magic was fine, but I've gotten bored of it, and being able to draft at a reasonably sane price ($2 a pack? Yes please!) sounds great.

There is a slacker backer option on the kickstarter if you're interested.

CZE posted:

Slacker Backer

A reminder that we'll be providing a Slacker Backer option at $50 after the Kickstarter ends.

1 Starter Deck ($10 value)
25 Booster Packs ($50 value)
2 months of VIP ($8 value)

Can't find info on where you go to sign up for that though. VIP is their 4$ a month thing that gives you 1 booster a week for one dollar ea. instead of two ea. plus some other benefits that I don't remember or aren't announced. Aren't I helpful?

Kakesu
Nov 4, 2005

ETHICAL.

Blazing Zero posted:

Can't find info on where you go to sign up for that though. VIP is their 4$ a month thing that gives you 1 booster a week for one dollar ea. instead of two ea. plus some other benefits that I don't remember or aren't announced. Aren't I helpful?

Slacker Backer is on their PayPal page: http://hextcg.com/donate

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

I know it's super unlikely but I'm holding out hope they'll let us stack VIPs. I would have little problem putting up $12 a month for 3 packs a week. But I imagine making VIP not stack is kind of how they intend to make money on the game.

I realize set-one boosters are going to be worth a penny or so, but from set-two onward that VIP status is going to start looking mighty tempting.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Blazing Zero posted:

Wait, so for 4 dollars you can buy 4 packs for 4 dollars. That,... uh... doesn't sound like you're saving money.

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
You get a pack a week for *free for 4 dollars a month plus entrance to one special tournament a month that will probably have some pretty nice rewards.

*Really 1 dollar a pack instead of 2 dollars a pack

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

BambooEarpick posted:

Wait, so for 4 dollars you can buy 4 packs for 4 dollars. That,... uh... doesn't sound like you're saving money.

Maybe you misunderstood?

A pack is usually $2. So if you were to buy 1 pack per week it would be $8 at the end of a month.

VIP costs $4 a month and it awards you a free booster each week, or $1 per pack. Half off.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008

Vincent Valentine posted:

Maybe you misunderstood?

A pack is usually $2. So if you were to buy 1 pack per week it would be $8 at the end of a month.

VIP costs $4 a month and it awards you a free booster each week, or $1 per pack. Half off.

I did misunderstand. One booster a week for $1 each made it sound like you got a dollar discount off of a pack, once a week (that you had to buy). I now understand that you get a FREE pack, once a week, for signing up for VIP (which is 4 dollars). I highly doubt they'd let us stack VIPs otherwise 12 dollars (+4 tix/platinum/dollars) would mean 4 drafts a month. That would be amazing.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

The way I wrote it is confusing. I meant that you pay four dollars for four boosters a month, one granted to you per week in that month. Normally, boosters cost two dollars each directly out the shop. VIP program charges you four dollars so the boosters end up costing you one each. You get other unannounced benefits as well.

I'll probably maintain a monthly VIP thing once it hands out set 2 boosters. If there was a loyalty bonus for cumulative VIP months, or the standard 3, 6 and 12 month packages that would be swell.

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Yeah, I doubt anyone but late adopters will be clamoring for VIP during Set 1. Even then, packs on the AH will probably be like 1bux or less just because of the heavy influx of packs.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

BambooEarpick posted:

I did misunderstand. One booster a week for $1 each made it sound like you got a dollar discount off of a pack, once a week (that you had to buy). I now understand that you get a FREE pack, once a week, for signing up for VIP (which is 4 dollars). I highly doubt they'd let us stack VIPs otherwise 12 dollars (+4 tix/platinum/dollars) would mean 4 drafts a month. That would be amazing.

The thing is, since it's a free to play game there's nothing stopping me from getting three accounts, putting VIP on all three of them, then mailing the weekly boosters to my main account. $4 x 3 = $12, with one dollar a week for draft fees coming out to total $16. That's one dollar more than I pay for World of Warcraft each month, and a draft a week(three packs minimum) is worth a lot more than hoping Iron Qon gives me my loving shoulders this week(he won't).

Allowing us to stack them merely streamlines the process and is convenient. I can understand why they'd want to not make it easy, but I can also see merit in making giving them more money an easy process. After set 1, anyway. (or year one for many people).

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

I'd be interested to see if they let us hold onto our 3 months of VIP or if we have to cash them in at the start of the beta.

Either way, it's an extra 12 boosters for free and other unnamed bonuses. Later on, $4 a month for 1.3 drafts (minus entry fee) is not awful.

Kairos
Oct 29, 2007

It's like taking a drug. At first it seems you can control it, but before you know it you'll be hooked.

My advice: 'Just say no' to communism.

Blazing Zero posted:

You get other unannounced benefits as well.

The other benefits are entry into a monthly VIP-only tournament with juiced prizes and access to a 'goldfishing' tool that lets you test out the way your deck draws without an opponent. Though based on the article about the deck statistics tool, it sounds like that last bit might be for everyone now? I dunno.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

The thing is, since it's a free to play game there's nothing stopping me from getting three accounts, putting VIP on all three of them, then mailing the weekly boosters to my main account. $4 x 3 = $12, with one dollar a week for draft fees coming out to total $16. That's one dollar more than I pay for World of Warcraft each month, and a draft a week(three packs minimum) is worth a lot more than hoping Iron Qon gives me my loving shoulders this week(he won't).

Allowing us to stack them merely streamlines the process and is convenient. I can understand why they'd want to not make it easy, but I can also see merit in making giving them more money an easy process. After set 1, anyway. (or year one for many people).

Maybe they will make the VIP boosters stick to that account. Sure you can open em and pass off the cards, but the real value in 1$ boosters is cheaper drafts. Or they won't do that and lots of people will have 3-4 accounts. I don't know if they will care about that. I'd certainly go for 4 accounts with VIP once they start handing out set 2 with the program if the packs can be freely traded.

If that becomes a common thing, maybe they will allow you to stack multiple VIP months. Hell, it would be neat if you could buy VIP tokens and trade them like currency. :v:

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010

You can't link the same payment method to more than one account apparently, so maybe that will work with 3 credit cards.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

They have said they will ban you over abuse of the VIP system.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Ah, well I kinda figured they wanted people to pay two bucks per pack more often than not. So this isn't too surprising. I should really read CZE forums more but it's hard to find good reads there.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

Welp, that settles that I guess.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Regardless of how many boosters per month you can get at $1 before you have to move to paying a WHOLE TWO DOLLARS, it's still going to be an insanely good entertainment value compared to the other options in the genre (assuming that the game is fun to draft in the first place).

I really hope this takes off so that MTGO's feet (and MTG's in general) get held to the fire. I know that it's a tall order to significantly break into this market, similar to trying to break into the traditional MMORPG market with WoW serving as the 700-pound gorilla, but I'm going to hope every time it comes along.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

^^^ I don't think you can compare MTGO to WoW in terms of giant-slaying. WoW has had significant competition at every single stage of its development and is the undisputed king of a pretty saturated market. MTGO has never had real competition and the market for online TCGs is basically untapped otherwise.

It's not actually $4 for 4 packs, by the way. It's $4 for 4.3333... packs. It's $4 per month and 1 pack per week. 12 months in the year, 52 weeks in the year. 4.3333... weeks per month. Heck, if you want to be cheap about it, you could subscribe for one month at a time just in the months with 5 payout days, which would end up as $4 for 5 packs.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 10, 2013

Niedar
Apr 21, 2010
If all you are interested in doing is drafting with those packs then actually you will probably be able to grab them at a lower price than 2 dollars off the auction house. My guess is you will be able to easily get them for under a 1.50 and maybe even close to 1.00.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

JerryLee posted:

Regardless of how many boosters per month you can get at $1 before you have to move to paying a WHOLE TWO DOLLARS, it's still going to be an insanely good entertainment value compared to the other options in the genre (assuming that the game is fun to draft in the first place).

I really hope this takes off so that MTGO's feet (and MTG's in general) get held to the fire. I know that it's a tall order to significantly break into this market, similar to trying to break into the traditional MMORPG market with WoW serving as the 700-pound gorilla, but I'm going to hope every time it comes along.

I don't want to make it sound like $2 is too much for a booster. It isn't, not at all, especially since I'm actually more interested in deckbuilding structured play rather than drafts.

The only reason I mention it is because a draft a week is pretty nice time-wise. Gives me something to look forward to once a week, without burning out on multiples in a week. A price point to hit that one-a-week draft that's also around the cost of other MMOs would be perfect, especially if it was actually convenient to sign up for(stacking VIPs)

But it really isn't a big deal and i'm not sweating it because for $17 you can draft 3 weeks, then do the VIP tournament on the fourth week. $20 more a year over a standard mmo isn't going to kill anyone, and that's assuming that from set two onward boosters stay $2 which we all know they won't.

Grim
Sep 11, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Yea I imagine that the Auction House will be flooded with boosters while everyone tries to turn their rewards into drafts, they'll probably drop below $1 for a good while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I wonder if the AH is going to a straight list with Bids and Buyouts like WOW/D3, or if it's going to use a Ask/Bid style like in EVE.

• Locked thread