Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

ViggyNash posted:

I see how that's relevant I guess, but I'm still not sure what he was trying to say.

Oh the irony...

I can almost imagine Robin Williams trying to explain to the kid how hosed up the Mass Production Eva actually is then giving up and going "just say he's a good guy who gives a gently caress"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
So I just saw 3.33 yesterday and have finished reading the old thread and a couple of pages into this one. A few things that may or may not have been addressed yet:

- I would really like to see Evangelion: Q (As per the review at the end of 2.22) at some point. It would clear up a lot of things in this movie.

- Wunder seems to be made out of a angel, not unlike the one from the beginning of 2.22, the cockpit looking like an EVA head that goes in where Tunniel's pseudo entry plug was. I guess it looks somewhat like a cross of that guy and the one Unit 2 fights first in the TV series.

- Rei's Eva that rescues Shinji that looks like Unit 00 and has pseudo shape shifting abilities that look like those of Zeruel after he ate Unit 00. :psyduck:

- Did the moon disappear? I am certain that you never get to see the moon, not the space sequence, not when they are stargazing. Shinji even has the gall to say it's reassuring to him that when he looks up everything is still the same. With the weird fixation NGE has with the moon, and the moon base in Rebuild you would think the moon would get a little bit more screen time than not at all. I suppose the destruction of the moon happened in Evangelion: Q.

- What was the deal with the white moon that had the same Impact-style bloody segments as the white moon in EoE? You see it in one shot with questionable perspective and it's spinning fast. Pretty sure it's not the THE moon. Was there another Impact during Evangelion: Q? It would explain why Mark 6 was double impaled in Dogma.

- Why did Kaworu die? It had been my understanding that Kaworu/Tabris was ridiculously powerful (possibly most powerful of the angels in the series?) and was only defeated because it was his wish. I would think his AT field could take a couple explosives to the neck. ... Did he give up just as he did in the series once he realized Gendo had played him?

- Why did he he have to put the collar on in the first place? It could have been resolved once he took it off Shinji's neck.

- I somehow did not expect the piano trailer to end up being so appropriate.

- Who can actually keep up with the different Eva units and their numbers? Mentioned once, not explained and barely getting any screentime

- People here in the thread seem to be getting rather mad at Shinji's actions at the end of 2.22, how he acted selfishly and carelessly and should have known better. Well, minutes earlier Mari almost turns herself into a rabid dog because she wants to win so badly, she sure as hell would have initiated Third Impact in order to win if she had had the option. No one gives her crap for intentionally sinking her pod into the contamination zone and turning her Eva into a monster no one knew about. Remember, it's not like the angel was not going to kill all humans anyway if Shinji hadn't tried to safe Rei.(I am aware that there are other and better reasons but I didn't see this one mentioned)

e:
- Wait, why does Kaworu go on about how he is good at stuff because of his knowledge? As far as I know he doesn't have the fruit of knowledge. Is that why he gets tricked?

So in short I loved it. Also here is my rather spoiler-free summary I whipped up of it:

BiggestOrangeTree fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 9, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

Remember, it's not like the angel was not going to kill all humans anyway if Shinji hadn't tried to safe Rei.(I am aware that there are other and better reasons but I didn't see this one mentioned)

I brought this one up at some point during my big Shinji Apologetics debate. I'm glad somebody else came to that conclusion independently, though! :v:

I'm not sure I can answer any of your other questions, but if you're right and the Moon doesn't appear at any point in 3.33 except that one bizarre object covered in bloody crosses that's pretty cool; I'll have to go back and check.

I noticed a couple scenes in 3.33 that indirectly suggest Yui's absence from the film, namely the 0.00% sync ratio, and the final scene's resemblance to a desert version of the final scene on the beach on EoE -- water being another of Yui's symbols, along with the moon itself. Nothing conclusive though, obviously.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

So in short I loved it. Also here is my rather spoiler-free summary I whipped up of it:

Haha, I enjoyed it too but that seems about right.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I noticed a couple scenes in 3.33 that indirectly suggest Yui's absence from the film, namely the 0.00% sync ratio, and the final scene's resemblance to a desert version of the final scene on the beach on EoE -- water being another of Yui's symbols, along with the moon itself. Nothing conclusive though, obviously.

My girlfriend and I had a big ol' talk about Evangelion the other day, and a thought about this occurred to me during it. What if the reason no one could find Rei at the end of 2.22 was because she got integrated into Unit 01, in the same way Yui had oh-so-long ago? We saw Shinji pull her out of that angel, and we saw her get pulled into the cockpit of 01 with him, but they did it as beings of pure light. What if they'd been turned into LCL during that scene, and only Shinji came back from it, like he did at the end of EoE? In that case, Rei: Original is still around, but she won't be popping up again unless she gets a lot of willpower to pull herself out of the LCL goo at some point. Which could be neat, if that happens in 4.44.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Even though its not exactly a masterpiece of editing, this is still one of my favorite eva fanvideos because of the particular contrast.

Gaseous Snake posted:

I can almost imagine Robin Williams trying to explain to the kid how hosed up the Mass Production Eva actually is then giving up and going "just say he's a good guy who gives a gently caress"

Knowing Williams, it was probably on purpose.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I don't think I can see Shinji normally anymore.

Well, normally here meaning as a shameful piece of poo poo. Well he's still that, but now worse.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Gaseous Snake posted:

Or he just really doesn't like Asuka.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I can't believe I just now noticed. (3.33) At the end of the movie, Asuka says they need to get back to Lilin rather than Wunder or Wille. Before that, I think Kaworu was the only person who talked about Lilin. Guys, I don't think that's Asuka :tinfoil:

If this was already brought up, it got lost in the psychoanalysis and Curse of Eva discussion.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Level Slide posted:

I can't believe I just now noticed. (3.33) At the end of the movie, Asuka says they need to get back to Lilin rather than Wunder or Wille. Before that, I think Kaworu was the only person who talked about Lilin. Guys, I don't think that's Asuka :tinfoil:

If this was already brought up, it got lost in the psychoanalysis and Curse of Eva discussion.

Well, they did change her surname for some reason, I honestly don't know why, and you wouldn't know if it you didn't look it up. :confused:

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Level Slide posted:

Maybe Bardiel(?)/Asuka got merged during the Eva test or something. :tinfoil:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Ayana posted:

Maybe Bardiel(?)/Asuka got merged during the Eva test or something. :tinfoil:

Well she does have a blue glowing eyesocket.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Giggily posted:

Well she does have a blue glowing eyesocket.

Who says there's no eye under there?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I can't imagine Asuka wanting the eye patch.

Well, maybe a little.

A Dirty Sock
Nov 4, 2005

Death to Legoland!
I feel like I'm reading a NSA FOIA release.

It's obvious that Asuka is a Rutan.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
Apparently Schick's sponsorship of Khara is still in effect, which means more happy beardless Gendo!

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008
If it's a good enough razor for Rei, Mari, Asuka and Unit 01, it's good enough for me.

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

My God. They shaved the Evangelion. What sorcery is this?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Riddle of Feel posted:

My God. They shaved the Evangelion. What sorcery is this?

Ooh my god, you are right. I didn't see it at first, but its rubbing its face like you would just after shaving.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
If movie 4 doesn't end with a giant Rei holding a giant schick razor I will be disappointed.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Utritum posted:

Apparently Schick's sponsorship of Khara is still in effect, which means more happy beardless Gendo!

This is the true horror that has come out of EVA. A happy, lovin' life, laughing Gendo. What the gently caress. That's...like staring in the face of Cuthulu that is a sun.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
... Why is Rei blushing in the second picture?

I can't stop laughing at the whole thing.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Pureauthor posted:

... Why is Rei blushing in the second picture?

I can't stop laughing at the whole thing.

She suffers from terrible armpit hair. Like, a Gendo beard under there.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Turns out Gendo only wanted to start Third Impact because he could never find a razor that gave him a comfortable shave.

Should I spoiler that?

fgwsss
Oct 7, 2004
Masturbation is good, but it is not the best, 'cause nothing beats the touch of your clitoris.
This may have been answered already but do we know when there's going to be a US release for 3.33?

The Riddle of Feel
Feb 2, 2013

Funimation just announced they've acquired the rights, but no date has been given. It'll be a while, as they have to do all the voice work and depending on the agreement a limited theatrical run first.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

fgwsss posted:

This may have been answered already but do we know when there's going to be a US release for 3.33?

Probably late 2014 at the earliest.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So with the new movies, and PS4 around the corner, does anybody think there's a snowball's chance in hell there may be a next gen Eva game made? Any rumors floating around about that?

I was just watching the Titanfall trailer and the mech's are so meh.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

So with the new movies, and PS4 around the corner, does anybody think there's a snowball's chance in hell there may be a next gen Eva game made? Any rumors floating around about that?

I wish. I really wish. Super Robot Wars is nice, but my kingdom for a decent mech action game that makes me feel like a mech pilot instead of Lu Bu or whoever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ACanofPepsi posted:

I've been saying this for the last week. I really want a Eva game. It appears there has not been one in a real long time, and all of the games were pretty much in Japan only?

Spiritus Nox posted:

I wish. I really wish. Super Robot Wars is nice, but my kingdom for a decent mech action game that makes me feel like a mech pilot instead of Lu Bu or whoever.

How do you feel about the Armor Core series?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Spiritus Nox posted:

I don't know whether it qualifies as decent, and it's not exactly recent, but Steel Battalion was certainly a thing.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Steel Batallion sounds super fun with that huge controller and no save games. Maybe verging on the frustrating side but definitely a cool risk to take on a game.

I'd like to play an Armored Core game but I heard they're all bad:cry:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

ACanofPepsi posted:

Steel Batallion sounds super fun with that huge controller and no save games. Maybe verging on the frustrating side but definitely a cool risk to take on a game.

I'd like to play an Armored Core game but I heard they're all bad:cry:

I had a blast playing AC III and ACIII: Silent Line. They were much better than II, IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I said come in! posted:

How do you feel about the Armor Core series?

Does it have space battles? Because that's what I really pine for.

Or at least cool airborne battles.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

Spiritus Nox posted:

That one Gundam game for Dreamcast was pretty good in its day, kind of clunky but I certainly played the hell out of it. Might feel pretty dated these days though, I haven't revisited it in ages.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ACanofPepsi posted:

I've seen it actually played, and it has a lot of neat things about it. There's a long startup sequence that involves flipping a number of switches (which you may need to do in combat if something makes you shut down), you have to run windshield wipers if your mech falls on its face and gets dirt on the screen, there's no music until you buy a tape player for your cockpit and also buy tapes (these are the only things saved if you ever have to eject*, you have to buy a whole new mech if your mech blows up), and walking, aiming, and looking are all controlled independently. I have no idea whether it's actually fun to play, though.

*The eject button even has a safety cover, and you'd better not forget to flip it before you try to eject because if you don't do it in time that character is fully dead.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

AmiYumi posted:

Sorry, but THIS will always be the #1 Evangelion YouTube experience. (Hit the "caption" button, obviously.)

That was really, really funny until my roommate walked in on the sex scene.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Xenogears 2, you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I await the day when an Evangelion game can properly display an Eva being thrown through a building and that building falls apart/explodes outwards like it would if a 200-foot-tall thousand-ton giant man-thing was thrown into it at 80 miles an hour.

That's all I really want. Or to be able to do that, but instead of being thrown into it, shoulder-charge through it. :unsmigghh:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

It certainly looks Xenogears inspired. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

So I watched 3.33 and as far as I'm concerned, the contents of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-s3nJ6wteE pretty much confirms the concurrent/overlapping timeline theory. I thought that Kaworu's revelation of the identical twin spears followed by an image of GNR was pretty on the nose, but then you've got Mari telling a Rei clone that she prefers the original, and finally two Unit-01s occupying the same space? C'mon, now.