Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

DicktheCat posted:

That does not make me want to touch him.

Don't you want to turn them like radio dials?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic_Gargoyle
Aug 3, 2007

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Jesus Chris. :stare: When I was younger my mom just had us carrying around umbrellas to shield us from the sun.

It's not so much the fear of sunburn, it's that they don't want to get a tan because only people who work outside have them, and they are much too well off for that. I wish I was kidding; Mao somehow managed to create an even worse generation than the one that came before it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

It's not so much the fear of sunburn, it's that they don't want to get a tan because only people who work outside have them, and they are much too well off for that. I wish I was kidding; Mao somehow managed to create an even worse generation than the one that came before it.

It's better than using lead-based powder to make yourself look like you're pale as European royalty did.

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such

Plastic_Gargoyle posted:

But won't those things cause really weird tan lines around the eyes and mouth? Not to mention the neck where the mask ends? Can you tell when somebody has spent a day in the sun with that thing on?

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
This has to be one of the fedora clad OKCupid people:

http://ask.metafilter.com/242516/Loneliness-and-OKCupid-part-2

"This is very alienating. I live in a walkable area and take public transit and I pass many attractive women when I go anywhere. I don't leer but I politely watch women and enjoy being reminded after many years of celibacy that I still find women attractive. But there is always this undercurrent realization that the odds that any particular woman would work for me are so astronomically low that there's no point in trying. It is painful."

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

thylacine posted:

This has to be one of the fedora clad OKCupid people:

http://ask.metafilter.com/242516/Loneliness-and-OKCupid-part-2

"This is very alienating. I live in a walkable area and take public transit and I pass many attractive women when I go anywhere. I don't leer but I politely watch women and enjoy being reminded after many years of celibacy that I still find women attractive. But there is always this undercurrent realization that the odds that any particular woman would work for me are so astronomically low that there's no point in trying. It is painful."

quote:

I've pretty much given up. I took my profile down because it seemed like a lost cause and it took too much mental energy to keep up. I had no one to send messages to and I didn't want women messaging me first -- nothing wrong with that by itself but if I haven't messaged you already then there is probably a good reason why. One very nice woman messaged me first but I was not into her and after some agonizing I turned her down. (Second time I've turned someone down in my life, very painful to do, I feel terrible for you women who have to do it all the time.)
Apparently this guy interprets going on a date with someone as a life-long commitment and feels that he knows someone completely after reading a lovely OKCupid profile.

Maybe he wouldn't be unattractive to women if he didn't have such a lovely attitude and wasn't so goddamn boring.

This person is good:
About me: I enjoy hobbies and interests X, Y, Z with other people. Here are some pictures of me smiling and hanging out with my friends. Let's meet up for a drink and see if we click.

This person is poo poo:
About me: I am weird and like video games. Here is a picture of me not smiling at the computer. Here is an exhaustive list of traits that you must have to be considered acceptable for dating.

cowofwar has a new favorite as of 05:18 on Jun 9, 2013

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
So, who remembers Kid Nation?

This was a reality show whose premise was "Take 30 kids aged 6-16. Drop them in the middle of nowhere. WATCH THEM SURVIVE."

There was only one season because CBS realized that "hey, there's a fuckton of legal issues with pulling a stunt like this."

If you wanted to watch it, the episode are on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWySM067fRQ&list=PL23B1B7EFE7EB0C5B

Highlights from the show included:

-One of the 6 year old kids leaving the first day, saying, "I'm not supposed to be here! I'M ONLY 6!"

-The camera men/producers doing nothing as an 8 year old stared down and charged an 800 pound bull

-The kids deciding to kill their livestock for dinner.

-The 16 year olds of the group ruling the town with an iron fist.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

E the Shaggy posted:

This was a reality show whose premise was "Take 30 kids aged 6-16. Drop them in the middle of nowhere. WATCH THEM SURVIVE."

There was only one season because CBS realized that "hey, there's a fuckton of legal issues with pulling a stunt like this."

-One of the 6 year old kids leaving the first day, saying, "I'm not supposed to be here! I'M ONLY 6!"

-The camera men/producers doing nothing as an 8 year old stared down and charged an 800 pound bull

Oh my god, thank you. I've heard about this show but I've never seen it. It sounds like a blast.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

You'd think at least one of the producers would have at least heard of Lord of the Flies.

Edit: After watching a little though it is nice to see that almost every kid involved thinks it's a horrible idea.

RillAkBea has a new favorite as of 05:49 on Jun 9, 2013

Inevitable
Jul 27, 2007

by Ralp

RillAkBea posted:

You'd think at least one of the producers would have at least heard of Lord of the Flies.

If the ratings had been better, we'd be watching season 6 now, no matter how many kids had died in the meantime.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Edit: After watching a little though it is nice to see that almost every kid involved thinks it's a horrible idea.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Sounds like quality TV.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
My class watched a few episodes of that while reading Lord of the Flies in high school and the comparison is pretty apt. There would have been a number of deaths due if the show had continued.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.
What's with you guys? There was a Lord of The Flies reality tv show and you can't see the beauty in it! It's like a dumb parody that Family Guy would think up except it was a real show! Nothing sucks and everything is rad.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Dunno why it made me think of Romney's orange face attempt, but you can't have a PYF Awkward thread without :mitt:

Anyone have the video that got posted a couple threads ago of a guy that looks just like a burnt-out Romney dancing like a mad man at a jazz concert?

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpiRBBi4JYM

particle409
Jan 15, 2008

Thou bootless clapper-clawed varlot!

"Hey man, like, goo-goo ga-ga, dude."

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

cowofwar posted:

Apparently this guy interprets going on a date with someone as a life-long commitment and feels that he knows someone completely after reading a lovely OKCupid profile.

Maybe he wouldn't be unattractive to women if he didn't have such a lovely attitude and wasn't so goddamn boring.

This person is good:
About me: I enjoy hobbies and interests X, Y, Z with other people. Here are some pictures of me smiling and hanging out with my friends. Let's meet up for a drink and see if we click.

This person is poo poo:
About me: I am weird and like video games. Here is a picture of me not smiling at the computer. Here is an exhaustive list of traits that you must have to be considered acceptable for dating.

Did he ever post a link to his profile or anything? I wonder how many bizarre standards fall under his vague "broadly similar worldview" category if he honestly believes that no woman anywhere could live up to them. Every time he posts about it he either chooses the relatively innocuous stuff (no kids, not religious) or he makes up some analogy for it (it's like looking for someone who doesn't believe in Santa!), which makes me think he must have some really weird hang-ups he's not telling MeFi.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Showed up on my Facebook, but not someone I know:

Arctic Bunny
Aug 3, 2012

A PERFECT LOOKING NOSE
Can Easily Be Yours

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

I can't tell if either of them are male or female

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

... Y'know, I'd probably rather have the furry show up at my doorstep proselytizing, if not for the sheer entertainment factor of someone trying to spread the message of Joseph Smith entirely through mime.

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

E the Shaggy posted:

Was this show produced by shutterbugs?

FartGhost
Mar 7, 2013

Dude with weird hair analyses Tom and Jerry, comes to shocking conclusions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsZJly1tmQ
Kid who talks like a robot defending libertarianism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnKL10GwlVE

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

FartGhost posted:

Dude with weird hair analyses Tom and Jerry, comes to shocking conclusions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZsZJly1tmQ
Kid who talks like a robot defending libertarianism: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnKL10GwlVE

To be fair to that dude as a dude who grew up with/likes cats it did kinda bother kid-me that cats were almost always bad guys, especially in Hanna-Barbera and Warner Brothers cartoons. Apart from maybe the cat in the Pepe LePew cartoons you didn't really have too many cats in a sympathetic light. Course I'm not motivated to post on Youtube about how we need to lock Cartoon Network in an oubliette so that no one can do anything with the Tom and Jerry IP, so maybe I'm just not committed enough to the cause of fictional cartoon cats.

vv True but those were never on when I was a kid. (At least, never when I was able to watch TV.) Also I don't really care about the plight of cartoon cats any more, it just reminded me of stuff I'd thought about when I was younger.

Djeser has a new favorite as of 01:23 on Jun 10, 2013

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Djeser posted:

To be fair to that dude as a dude who grew up with/likes cats it did kinda bother kid-me that cats were almost always bad guys, especially in Hanna-Barbera and Warner Brothers cartoons. Apart from maybe the cat in the Pepe LePew cartoons you didn't really have too many cats in a sympathetic light.

The cats in top-cat / boss-cat were the protagonists, and painted in a mostly sympathetic light (they were rogues, but they were lovable rogues).

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

SybilVimes posted:

The cats in top-cat / boss-cat were the protagonists, and painted in a mostly sympathetic light (they were rogues, but they were lovable rogues).

Also Garfield, Heathcliff and associated characters, EEK! the cat, Rita (the cat in animaniacs)

Croisquessein
Feb 25, 2005

invisible or nonexistent, and should be treated as such
Not work safe for butt

http://i.imgur.com/Q0DkAth.jpg

I am really curious about what happened right before this.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Cats are portrayed as evil in cartoons because cats are lovely animals.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Croisquessein posted:

Not work safe for butt

http://i.imgur.com/Q0DkAth.jpg

I am really curious about what happened right before this.

Clearly the dude picked a fight with a ranger, but managed to hold his own because the blue ranger always sucks.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Cats are portrayed as evil in cartoons because cats are lovely animals.

Maybe cats think you're a lovely animal. :colbert:

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

DicktheCat posted:

Maybe cats think you're a lovely animal. :colbert:

Maybe man was the monster all along.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 03:12 on Jun 10, 2013

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I was wondering what was awkward here, looks like an alright guy at a wedding. Then I saw the pony.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Should that be :nws: ? I'm honestly not sure

douche ex machina
Oct 31, 2008
I am pretty sure that is a man. But it could be a half-orc.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

E the Shaggy posted:

Hahaha, this was filmed like 3 miles from where I lived, we used to go on walks out there with the dog.

I love how the intro describes it as some pioneer ghost town, it's part of a movie set where lots of things have been filmed, parts of Thor, 3:10 to Yuma, etc.

It's also about 10 miles from Santa Fe, New Mexico.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

What the gently caress is that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlub Husband
Jan 13, 2008

*hic*
Lipstick Apathy

What's happened here? Why does he look like that?

• Locked thread