Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Ashenai posted:

Oh yeah, I remember that one, it caught my eye too when I watched the episode. I'm pretty sure it's not a real move, it's just something they thought would look cool. The body mechanics look completely nonsensical to me.

I mean, if you want a name for it then it's a standing armbar, but Dexter has zero leverage the way he's doing it. And I don't know what's going on with his left hand, is that supposed to be a choke? That's not a choke.

It's just something they invented for the purpose of storytelling.

You have to see both men's faces because this is television. Dexter must have the advantage so he has a hand on the throat and "control" of the arm. Both men must be in position to immediately notice the third party entering the scene and stop what they're doing, so they're both backed against a shipping container facing the same direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Alastor_the_Stylish posted:

It's just something they invented for the purpose of storytelling.

You have to see both men's faces because this is television. Dexter must have the advantage so he has a hand on the throat and "control" of the arm. Both men must be in position to immediately notice the third party entering the scene and stop what they're doing, so they're both backed against a shipping container facing the same direction.

Well then gently caress it, Dexter should have just crucifixed Doakes, bam real submission that meets all your TV story needs. drat, that would have looked cool as hell too.

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
Dexter actually didn't make up either of those attacks. He starts with kannuki gatame, a legitimate Judo arm lock, and then switches to a drunken boxing kung fu technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7D45vGI418&t=260s (E: I think it's 'the Drunken God with the powerful throat lock'? no kidding, that's a real thing) that's intended to be a trachea crush... after years spent training all day cracking walnuts between your thumb and forefinger or whatever. The really unrealistic part is the very beginning, where Dexter catches the wrist mid-jab and turns Dokes' shoulder over to set up the arm lock with no resistance.

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 9, 2013

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There's a $50 striking seminar with James “Sledgehammer” McSweeney about 2 hours outside of the town where I live. Anyone have any experience with this guy/his coaching abilities?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

CivilDisobedience posted:

Dexter actually didn't make up either of those attacks. He starts with kannuki gatame, a legitimate Judo arm lock,

I'm a judoka and that's not remotely kannuki gatame. How do you think Dexter is putting pressure on Doakes' elbow joint there? You can't just put your arms loving wherever and call it an armlock. You need to immobilize the opponent's arm and put pressure on the joint in a direction it can't bend. Dexter manages to do neither of these things.

quote:

and then switches to a drunken boxing kung fu technique https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7D45vGI418&t=260s (E: I think it's 'the Drunken God with the powerful throat lock'? no kidding, that's a real thing) that's intended to be a trachea crush... after years spent training all day cracking walnuts between your thumb and forefinger or whatever.

I don't know any drunken boxing, but unless there's magical chi powers involved I still don't think that's a choke.

Ashenai fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 9, 2013

CivilDisobedience
Dec 27, 2008
It's definitely kannuki gatame. Look at the mechanics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY79a1iNrGU Instead of wrapping the arm and using his armpit to immobilize the wrist, Dexter uses his other hand.

E: And since you're a Judoka, here's how I'm most familiar with this kind of kannuki: Against a strong righty lapel grip, you play lefty and thread under to quietly take a lapel grip of your own, then use your right hand to hold their lapel down and climb your left up a bit into an equal-ish position. After that, you can just secure their wrist with your right hand and drive in while straightening your left arm to put pressure on their elbow from below and apply the arm lock, don't even need to break their grip first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SQsZRxgjgY It's in this JKD lock flow in a couple places too

CivilDisobedience fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jun 9, 2013

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
drat I like watching this fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PAuRB298kw

JR is one of the trainers/fighters from Lanna MT

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

CivilDisobedience posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SQsZRxgjgY It's in this JKD lock flow in a couple places too

I didn't now JDK had joint lock techniques. Some of that stuff looks painful just watching.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mr Interweb posted:

I didn't now JDK had joint lock techniques.
It's Jeet Kune Do, not Java Development Kit.
JKD schools ought to teach whatever they feel is effective, which for some schools might include joint locks.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

gimpsuitjones posted:

drat I like watching this fight

Ooohh, nice man.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Kekekela posted:

Got my blue belt in BJJ today. :toot:

Also beforehand we had an in-house tourney for us and our affiliated schools, took 2nd out of 15 in the white-to-low-blue no-gi division. Got three submissions in a row (RNC, North-South, Guillotine) before losing to a heavier/better guy in the finals.

Congrats, that's quite an achievement! :hfive:

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

kimbo305 posted:

It's Jeet Kune Do, not Java Development Kit.
JKD schools ought to teach whatever they feel is effective, which for some schools might include joint locks.

A lot of people don't realise this but JKD is just what Bruce Lee called MMA before MMA had a name, it was obviously rooted in kung fu because that's what he started in but he cross trained in Karate and judo and other stuff. JKD is a "concept" of training what's effective and ignoring poo poo that doesn't work no matter what style it comes from. There's some basic techniques that are taught in JKD from kung fu that wouldn't be used in modern MMA like wrist locks and certain throws and obviously weapons, but there isn't really a style to JKD anyone who says otherwise is probably training at a school trying to make money off Bruce Lee's name.

It's a philosophy off doing certain things cherry picked from different martial arts for whatever range you're in and flowing between them.

If he was still alive today he probably would have added a poo poo load of stuff from wrestling and BJJ in his school.

Chuck Norris was apparently one of the first dudes to encourage his students and training partners to cross train in BJJ when he learned how effective it is and how sorely lacking everything he's learned to that point was in terms of grappling and ground work.

BlindSite fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 11, 2013

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
After a false start about a year ago where I went to BJJ for month or so, I'm finally getting back to it and very much hoping to make it stick this time. Been having a good time so far, but had a frustrating experience today drilling and rolling with a guy. We ended up paired up both times because we were the last people without a partner. He's a white belt (didn't notice stripes or not), but I'm pretty sure has some sort of grappling experience. Anyway, we're drilling and he appears pretty disinterested, takes forever to set up between repetitions, and spends time talking to people near us. Ok, fine, whatever, I can live with that.

Then we get to rolling and once again we are the only two people left without partners (it was a very small class of regulars today). This guy seems annoyed to be rolling with a total noob and is very thoroughly kicking my rear end -- which used to by now since it happens all the time. Eventually I'm pretty gassed and I'm getting kind of tired of getting knee-on-belly'd by a guy with at least 30lbs on me so I ask him for some tips on escaping side-control and/or knee on belly and he essentially tells me I'm half-assing it and that I'd do better I weren't. If I had more than 1/10th of my rear end left at that point I would have been giving it. Finally right before we're done he tells me I'm giving him too much space and I shouldn't do that.

Any tips for avoiding this sort of thing in the future? Should I just lump it? Most people there are pretty helpful.

Also, should I be taping my fingers? I keep scraping my knuckles on... something? Gis or mats maybe?

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
He just sounds like a dick. If everyone else is helpful then it's probably safe to ignore for now and shouldn't reflect on anyone else there. There's a good chance other folks there think he's a dick too.

Granted, he may have just been having a bad day.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Any ausgoons from melbourne or brisbane who're interested in doing a seminar with Nate Diaz I booked some tickets today. 12th and 14th of July, it's through the legends seminar facebook page.

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
Can I get high with him afterwards

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007
My understanding is there are basically two official "branches" of JKD: one which focuses on Lee's overall philosophy as described above, and one which focuses on teaching Lee's own original style. (The latter has another name which I forget; something like "Jun Fan" maybe?)

I'll agree the latter is a little silly but no more than any TMA. Lee's individual fighting style is at least of some historical interest which might make it worth preserving, which is more than you can say for whoever invented Praying Mantis Kung Fu or whatever.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Bruce Lee made a lot of good points philosophically and seems like a generally decent guy. He tried to keep things real and avoid all the magical Chi bullshit, encouraged live sparring, and promoted cross training but he was a movie actor that may or may not have participated in some billy-bob's backroom brawling level fights. The cult around him is ridiculous and embarrassing not to mention insulting when hes compared to actually athletes.

Especially everyone's favorite Lee vs Tyson or Lee vs Ali because both those dudes are 50 pounds heavier and actual high level fighters.

Now Dan Inosanto, thats a cool dude who can actually fight and deserves every bit of respect he gets and probably more since hes not as famous.

EDIT: Lee also deserves praise for defying the racist assholes who instructed him and teaching everyone martial arts.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Jun 11, 2013

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Xguard86 posted:

EDIT: Lee also deserves praise for defying the racist assholes who instructed him and teaching everyone martial arts.

I believe most/all of that angle was made up by Linda after his death, though. Or at least isn't corroborated in any meaningful way.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Xguard86 posted:

Especially everyone's favorite Lee vs Tyson or Lee vs Ali because both those dudes are 50 pounds heavier and actual high level fighters.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Let's talk about how cool Bolo Yeung is instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNagP95khvA

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Getting better at throwing hands in Muay Thai! :)

The last few classes, I've been able to finish the classes without hurting my hands! The punches seem to be flowing faster and have more power now.

Also, one of the instructors also commented that I'm picking up the footwork quickly. I was so stoked to hear that since I feel perpetually lost.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Douchebag training partner
From my limited experience in martial arts (dabbled in TKD in middle school, took a year of Capoeira in high school), it seems like the guys that are still somewhat new but have reached the point where they can kill complete beginners are the WORST training partners.

Maybe it's that ability to finally kick someone else's rear end is what causes the ego and dickish behavior. I dunno, it's kinda my working theory. There's one kid in my MT class that's kinda like that. He's pretty standoffish towards me and deliberately attempts to avoid partnering with me. On the plus side, everyone else at the gym is super friendly. Oh, and it was kinda fun to watch him fail his promotion test. :D

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
I think one of the best things about all the Bruce Lee mysticism bullshit is that if you follow his tenants to the absolute core, you're basically just practicing high level MMA. And yet, none of his followers realize this.

edit: I see that point has already been made, so I'll contribute something.

Just pointing out that students are not necessarily obligated to help beginners. Often times they will also give bad information too. If someone's being a dick, just ignore him and keep searching for someone useful. Usually those people plateau very quickly, so don't worry. He'll get what's coming to him.

On the other side of the spectrum, the surefire way to be sure you know a skill is to be able to teach it. So if you feel like you've mastered something, try passing down that bit of knowledge and having the instructor/trainer correct you.

Guilty fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jun 11, 2013

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

After a false start about a year ago where I went to BJJ for month or so, I'm finally getting back to it and very much hoping to make it stick this time. Been having a good time so far, but had a frustrating experience today drilling and rolling with a guy. We ended up paired up both times because we were the last people without a partner. He's a white belt (didn't notice stripes or not), but I'm pretty sure has some sort of grappling experience. Anyway, we're drilling and he appears pretty disinterested, takes forever to set up between repetitions, and spends time talking to people near us. Ok, fine, whatever, I can live with that.

Then we get to rolling and once again we are the only two people left without partners (it was a very small class of regulars today). This guy seems annoyed to be rolling with a total noob and is very thoroughly kicking my rear end -- which used to by now since it happens all the time. Eventually I'm pretty gassed and I'm getting kind of tired of getting knee-on-belly'd by a guy with at least 30lbs on me so I ask him for some tips on escaping side-control and/or knee on belly and he essentially tells me I'm half-assing it and that I'd do better I weren't. If I had more than 1/10th of my rear end left at that point I would have been giving it. Finally right before we're done he tells me I'm giving him too much space and I shouldn't do that.

Any tips for avoiding this sort of thing in the future? Should I just lump it? Most people there are pretty helpful.

Also, should I be taping my fingers? I keep scraping my knuckles on... something? Gis or mats maybe?

1) Don't bother asking questions of white belts unless they're clearly superior to you*. He's on the same path, trying to discover this weird grappling thing. Chances are, he's an idiot. I was a huge idiot when I was a white belt. I was a huge idiot as a blue belt and now I'm a purple, I bet i'm being a huge idiot that i'll only see when I get my brown belt. Ask questions from a color belt.

2) His advice isn't automatically dickish. Constantly stopping and talking during a roll is bullshit; train the round, then ask some questions at the end pretty much. It will take him a round to determine what it is that lets him beat you so easily. But like I said, as a whitebelt, he probably couldn't find his rear end with his hands.

3) Space is a really essential feature, for sure. Everyone always leaves enough space.

He seems like a regular crappy whitebelt that's grappled for 3-8 months; thinks he knows smt because he's been coming for awhile, but he hasn't been coming long enough to truly understand everything. He can kick your rear end, so he feels like he is the man / he has to kick your rear end. It's ok. This is the point of stagnation for him, he cares about winning and will not improve until he gets over that. Just laugh and continue training. Don't drill with the dude if he can't maintain focus. Sometimes you get someone who is a bad partner. It happens.

*e.g. its a school with only whitebelts/he's a judoka wearing a white/he's grappling for 10 years but hasn't got an instructor to promote him, who knows. This has very little to do with getting beat on the mat.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Dolemite posted:

From my limited experience in martial arts (dabbled in TKD in middle school, took a year of Capoeira in high school), it seems like the guys that are still somewhat new but have reached the point where they can kill complete beginners are the WORST training partners.

Maybe it's that ability to finally kick someone else's rear end is what causes the ego and dickish behavior. I dunno, it's kinda my working theory. There's one kid in my MT class that's kinda like that. He's pretty standoffish towards me and deliberately attempts to avoid partnering with me. On the plus side, everyone else at the gym is super friendly. Oh, and it was kinda fun to watch him fail his promotion test. :D

The worst is when the finally-not-a-beginner guys are also like 50 lbs heavier then me. What I wind up doing is just tapping out to everything if they're muscling too much. I'm 150 lbs, if a 200+ lb guy doesn't want to work technical with me then gently caress him, he won't get to work at all.

Especially when it's guys I've spent the last 6 months pulling guard on and throwing up ridiculous armbars to let them practice their escapes and letting them try 3 or 4 takedown attempts to my 1 whenever we're doing standup. Then all of a sudden they realize how to throw their weight around a bit and it's the "let's canopener the poo poo out of Mechafunkzilla" hour.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jun 11, 2013

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Dolemite posted:

Maybe it's that ability to finally kick someone else's rear end is what causes the ego and dickish behavior. I dunno, it's kinda my working theory.

I feel you, from my somewhat limited experience the most dangerous (if not "worst" but still kinda the worst) training partners are guys who've trained for maybe half a year. They'll already have some conditioning, power and technique at that point but no control at all and most of the time they're still at the point where they PANIC all day every day. Let's say they start sparring with someone they suddenly figure out is Far Superior in his or her Martial Mastery. They can throw a fit before you know it, and instead of slowing down to learn, imagine they must now prevail in a fight to the death and suddenly kick you in the balls (or some other technique which doesn't even belong to that class) or start throwing haymakers at your face when you are just chilling out and talking to a friend or something.

When I'm sparring with guys who train with say the national team I'm chill as gently caress, but with those semi-new guys you have to be ready for everything and anything all the time. It's also still a bit your fault if someone who is basically a newbie hurts you as well...

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ligur posted:

When I'm sparring with guys who train with say the national team I'm chill as gently caress

I love those kinds of training sessions. Because you have nothing to lose. And those guys are not only going to destroy you from start to finish, they are going to do it more gently than you ever thought possible.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
What a learning experience it is.

Also spazzign out yourself won't help in the least, so why bother, this is why it's so chill :)

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
Nerdy HEMA post:

I went to SoCal Swordfight over the weekend, which is it's 2nd year. It's an event that tries to tie together the many HEMA clubs in the SoCal area(of course), but also got some Pacific NW and Arizona groups. There was a pretty impressive showing of people, form beginners to teachers, and a bunch of interesting classes.

The HEMA community in LA is looking like it's growing, though I'm far from an expert.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts
I still freak out sometimes against the blue belts and purples I roll with. I've been doing BJJ for about 8 years with a MMA fight under my belt but sometimes the whole BJJ thing seems weird. I'm still a white belt (on and off training happens) but I try not to go crazy on lower level belts at all. Your interpretation of a guy being a dick may be him trying something he never does. I never go for omoplatas but on Monday I made it a point to hit every single one I could (because I don't do omoplatas). Maybe the guy you rolled with never does knee on belly and just happens to be a huge dick.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Let's talk about how cool Bolo Yeung is instead.

Motherfucker was 50 when he did Bloodsport. Bolowns.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xguard86 posted:

Now Dan Inosanto, thats a cool dude who can actually fight and deserves every bit of respect he gets and probably more since hes not as famous.

What are Inosanto's combat sport credentials? I know he competed in some full contact kali competitions, but not sure what else he's done. Wiki says he's got a BJJ black belt, which I'm certain Lee would have gotten had he not died young.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
So I started doing some Capoeira a couple of months ago because there are free sessions as part of my gym membership and I'm really getting into it. I know it's not the most practical art but it's a lot of fun doing cartwheels and spins and handstands and stuff. Nearly move is a kick, and nearly every kick is at least a roundhouse, if not a 360 spin.

Yesterday I finally figured out how to do the Parafuso, a flying 540 corkscrew type kick involving both legs. It's pretty awesome. Are 540's just a show off move or do they get a good run in MMA type fights? There's 100% commitment to the move so it's probably pretty dangerous for both parties but it feels like it should pack a punch.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It takes a lot more windup and telegraph to do a 540 kick than a... I guess a normal kick amounts to 90 degrees?
There's a small chance that the opponent will rush it and get dinged with perfect chance timing, but moves that require you to turn your back and get up in the air are not good for fighting. You cede timing and control of distance to your opponent when you commit to such a move.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Yeah, I figured as much. Maybe that's part of it, most games don't involve connecting blows anyway, so it's ok people can see it coming and respond to it appropriately. It does have a similar windup to other less intensive kicks, so it might be able to be disguised within one of them. I haven't seen too many Cap fighters MMA though, let alone that many spinning.

The only one I've found is Marcus Aurélio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6oiADjOdFg although he is mostly BJJ, and only busts out the cap occasionally.

gregarious Ted
Jun 6, 2005

Goffer posted:

Yeah, I figured as much. Maybe that's part of it, most games don't involve connecting blows anyway, so it's ok people can see it coming and respond to it appropriately. It does have a similar windup to other less intensive kicks, so it might be able to be disguised within one of them. I haven't seen too many Cap fighters MMA though, let alone that many spinning.

The only one I've found is Marcus Aurélio https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6oiADjOdFg although he is mostly BJJ, and only busts out the cap occasionally.

I always viewed Capoeira as closer to dancing than fighting.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

gregarious Ted posted:

It is, but there's still a competitive aspect of it that's kind of like sparring, kind of like a non-contact competitive dance where you attack each other with movements. But that already places it closer to combat than a lot of mcdojo poo poo.

It's hard to hate on capoeira because those guys look like they're having way more fun than us. Same with wushu.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!
Capoira also never really seems to sell itself as a proper self defence of fighting system. It usually is pretty clear that you are being taught it because it's fun and looks cool, and not because it will turn you into a killing machine.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

gregarious Ted posted:

The way I've been taught, Capoeira is a conversation. You ask a question (by attacking) and get an answer (counter). The style we're doing (Regional) is more like competitive gymnastics where you can take out your opponent if the mood is right. How physical it gets all about the music and mood of the game. Alternatively it's like playing gay chicken except with your feet and their head.

There's a definite move set that can be applied in a very physical way if the caporista has the inclination to use it, it's generally considered poor form though. There's a bit of mythology about it's history, but it's commonly accepted that it was used as a weapon of the slaves and the oppressed, and it's practice was outlawed in Brazil for a good while due to the violence associated with it. Although historically I think machetes and knives were more commonly used.

That said there are two main styles:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eF9lfOAWTxo Angola - It's slower paced and mostly based on the floor, I can see it not being that great in a fight. It's more like tai chi or something.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv-WMFWpjo0 Regional - A bit faster and flashier with the movements.

Goffer fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Goffer posted:

Although historically I think machetes and knives were more commonly used.

:3:

Anyway, I've just gotten out of a brief fling with BJJ, and am looking to get back into punching things. Around Septemberish I might try out the brand new boxing club at my school, maybe culminating in an actual fight in the ring. I've gotten up to brown in karate (laugh now if you so desire) and have been doing some training at an MMA gym that focused on wing chun (speaking of Bruce Lee), boxing, and muay thai. Also some wrestling groundwork, though the guy who taught that usually came in on the days I couldn't make it so...

Anyway, I've done sparring at karate tournaments and had some wins, some first round eliminations, and my MMA place was more of a self-defense/'practical' sort of place than competition pre, though a few guys were there to prep for amatuer fights, but they were mostly outnumbered by e.g. bouncers, a few cops, some girls in there for self defence. I ended up there because I was dating one of said girls and mostly stuck around for the drills, cardio, bag work, and to mix up my karate stuff.

ANYWAY, anyone have any tips on transitioning into boxing from other styles? Any habits I might need to unlearn? Also, any tips for useful cardio/muscle building stuff I can do over the summer?

• Locked thread