Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kgummy posted:

You know, that made me realize something about the whole final door saying 'q'. It doesn't actually work in 999, when you think about it. At least in the English translation. If only because the note was in braille. Since 'q' and '9' are different, with numbers having the braille for '#' before them, and then using the letters a-i replacing 1-9, and j being 0.

There were two notes. The first one is the one that everyone had, then Snake had the bonus braille one.

The first one mentions the [9] door.

e: beaten, but I had proof!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Whoops, I forgot that it wasn't in Snake's note about the door at all. I don't know why I thought it was in Snake's braille note.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

curiousCat posted:

Junpei read the note in 999. It was read by Zero over the speakers in the japanese version.

I don't even think there *was* a note for Junpei to read in the japanese version, if memory serves.

Sytakan
Jul 26, 2012

Ohyes.

Waffleman_ posted:

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't understand why these are the only two options.

They aren't. I was trying to pick the most obnoxious thing I could think of in an effort to be silly, i.e. making a joke.

Sytakan fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 11, 2013

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Super Jay Mann posted:

I don't even think there *was* a note for Junpei to read in the japanese version, if memory serves.
Well, the japanese version did have a perfectly good homophone to abuse.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

curiousCat posted:

Junpei read the note in 999. It was read by Zero over the speakers in the japanese version.

That note only existed to tie up an issue that couldn't be addressed in English.

Nine is "kyu" in Japanese, and since it was the Nonary Game, everyone just assumed the door they was searching for was 9.

They didn't realize that Zero had actually told them that the door was seriously Q so they wouldn't be stuck in there and die.

Which... actually sheds some new light on why Akane gets pissed at Junpei in the kitchen for not being able to solve that base-9 code if you keep messing it up.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That note only existed to tie up an issue that couldn't be addressed in English.

Nine is "kyu" in Japanese, and since it was the Nonary Game, everyone just assumed the door they was searching for was 9.

They didn't realize that Zero had actually told them that the door was seriously Q so they wouldn't be stuck in there and die.

Which... actually sheds some new light on why Akane gets pissed at Junpei in the kitchen for not being able to solve that base-9 code if you keep messing it up.

I'm pretty sure it was meant to be deceptive, both to at least appear consistent with the game happening nine years ago and to throw off Ace.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

What really bugs me is that I swear during one of the flashback sequences to the "Seek a door that carries a 9/q" part, during that line I thought they showed the speaker onscreen instead of the paper, which threw me off. That's why I went "WHAT?" when that little twist was revealed. I never went back and checked if I remembered correctly though.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
That is correct and sadly simply a thing they missed when localizing the game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Strain]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Chromatic Doors have opened.
Five minutes remain until Chromatic Doors close.

What the hell were you doing?!

S-Sorry...

That's not good enough! You realize we could die here, right?!

H-Hey... Whoa, calm down there, girl. I made it in time.

Barely! We've only got five minutes left!
You're a yellow pair! Who do you think your partner is?!

Gee. I wonder...

Urgh... You son of a--

Fighting now helps no one.

He's right, you know. The doors have already opened.
We need to hurry up and figure out our teams.

Guh... What'd I do to deserve this rear end in a top hat?

We're almost out of time. I'll just explain it as fast as I can.

Just like before, there are only three possible combinations.

So what are we doing?

I'm not pairing up with K.

Oh? Why not?

We'd end up playing against eachother in the next AB Game.
Last time, you betrayed Clover.

How'm I supposed to know you won't do the same to me?
You can't be trusted.

How unfortunate.
To be honest, however, I would rather not go with you either.

Yeah? Why's that?

I very much doubt you'll choose to ally in the next round.

Even if you promised me you would choose to ally, I'd be in an undesirable situation.
You see, I wouldn't be able to choose to betray.
If I did, and you were true to your word and allied, then...
I would... kill you.

Of course, for the same reason, I would rather not be paired with Alice.

Sigma and I will be taking Clover.
I trust her more than any of the rest of you.

I want to go with Alice too.

H-Hey! Wait a minute!
Don't I get a say in this?

They chose "ally" last time.

I'm Phi's partner. You should pair up with us.
Sound good?

No.

I am also opposed to that choice.

We'll be stuck with Phi's Option C.

I believe I mentioned before that I do not wish to be paired with Tenmyouji.

And I don't want to go with K either.

One minute remains until Chromatic Doors close.

...!

Wh-What's wrong, Quark?

It's all over... This is it.
We're all going to die...

999 OST: [Trepidation]

Are you all right?

No... No, that's not it...
Don't you get it?
We aren't going to die...
We have to die...
We have to die here...
All of us...

Wh-What the hell...?!
Snap out of it, kid!
C'mon, Quark, talk to me!

No, I'm fine...
You're the crazy ones.
Getting so... serious... about this stupid game...
We should just stop...
End this...
End all of it...
End everything...

A-Ah--!
We need to get him to the infirmary!

No. We don't have time.

I'll carry him through.

But... we still haven't figured out who's going where.

I can't afford to be picky anymore.
Someone just choose, I don't care who.

Sigma! You have to choose!

Wh-What? Why me?

Please, just do it!
We don't have any time left!

Looks like it's Voting Time again. As before, feel free to vote for two options if you want. Or three. Don't know why you'd want to vote for three but hey.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jun 12, 2013

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Fedule posted:

We'd end up playing against eachother in the next AB Game.
Last time, you betrayed Clover.

Interesting that Tenmyouji says this when in fact K and Clover betrayed Alice. I suppose it's probably just an error in the game, though.

I'm voting for Luna just because I trust her and I'd like to ally in the next round if possible. I suppose she might turn out to be incredibly evil at some point, but for now she's the one I'm most confident about allying with without losing Alice. She's the only current solo who hasn't previously betrayed (and even betrayed Alice specifically!), after all, although admittedly that was before Clover and K knew the consequences of dropping to 0 BP.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The only ones with 1 BP are Alice and Tenmyouji. If we go with Luna, then Tenmyouji will be paired with Clover. Tenmyouji will probably betray because Clover betrayed last time, and he can't afford to risk getting betrayed, and even if Clover allies, she can absorb the hit.

That would put Dio and Phi against K, and they'll probably all betray the other - if only so K doesn't reach 9, and they can absorb a hit.

Luna has a history of allying, and Sigma going with her will face her off against someone who has allied with her before, which will give her more incentive to ally again - if she doesn't want Alice to die, at least. If we decide to betray in the AB game, she can absorb the hit.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The previous round has made some people more valuable than others, and the game is clearly trying to make you compete with the other teams for the loners who are least likely to betray you. We have the additional advantage of a kinship between alice and clover that the other teams don't have, but choosing that option pairs the clearly paranoid Tenmyouji with someone who has betrayed.

He is very close to dying and I think we have to stop him dying if we can - Luna is therefore the obvious choice for him. That unfortunately opens up Alice to death-by-K, so the question now becomes: Can we trust K? He is the one character that this whole choice revolves around. If he is trustworthy, then choosing him means that no one dies. If he's not, then choosing him means Alice dies, and not choosing him means that Tenmyougi will (with a very high probability) die.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jun 12, 2013

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
K is pretty mysterious, though if we DO go with him we pretty much HAVE to hit betray in the AB game. if not for Alice's sake, but to stop K from getting 9 points and bolting out the 9 door at first opportunity.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

rudatron posted:

not choosing [K] means that Tenmyougi will (with a very high probability) die.

Tenmyouji will only be at risk of death if he allies, and I think he probably intends to betray (and who can blame him?). The complicating factor here is that, if Tenmyouji betrays and his opponent allies (which I'd expect to see if we put him with Luna), Quark will have nine points. After Quark's bizarre display in this update, I'm not sure I'd want to trust that kid with nine points.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

Wh-What? Why me?

Please, just do it!

Ah, the woes of being an RPG protagonist.

Maybe hanging out with Clover and Alice will get them both to trust us?

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
Consider this: Luna is a good person, and can be trusted not to betray us. We should stick with Luna til the end. Keep allying, keep advancing. No problems!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Voting is off-site now, Rent.

But it is interesting to see how the votes all have their merits now.

Luna is the safest option if we assume that no one in the next round gets 9 and tries to ditch us.

Clover has information that might be helpful to us, even though they're likely just 999 spoilers. That organization did sound interesting, though.

And K... well, he's a guy in a robot suit. What's not to like?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 12, 2013

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Except that Dio, K or Quark could get 9 this very round and then leave immediately. That's a very big problem!

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.
Again, I picked the same thing as during my first playthrough: stick to Luna, who's got great chances of allying with us again. Though I'm going to be more than fine with any choice here, they're all cool.

Rinaldo
Nov 8, 2009

Rith posted:

Interesting that Tenmyouji says this when in fact K and Clover betrayed Alice. I suppose it's probably just an error in the game, though.

It's a translation error. In the Japanese version he says "Last time you and Clover chose to betray".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
For all the effort they put into the localization, it seems their proofreaders missed a few spots, such as Tenmyouji's comment there. Every now and then there're a few other minor errors, and at one point I'm pretty sure someone actually gives you the wrong solution to a puzzle.

That, and they seem to have made a few really curious editorial decisions (although they at least apply them consistently so that's good). We've already seen "donno". Sometimes spaces go missing around ellipses. Stuff like that. It's not technically incorrect and they get points for picking a style and sticking to it but it's ~wrong~!

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

I voted to go to my favorite room (whatever that is!), but I suppose it doesn't matter. I'm sure we'll get around to it eventually, regardless.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I don't see why K & Tenmyouji wouldn't mutually agree to Betray. K clearly does not desire to kill him. If they decide it ahead of time, there's no motive to switch to Ally.

It's hard to let anyone go with Luna, but I'd expect that Phi will not want to Betray since only Dio escapes in that case. So she can keep Dio in check.

Based on this I think C is the best choice to keep everyone alive and nobody from escaping just yet.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Kangra posted:

I don't see why K & Tenmyouji wouldn't mutually agree to Betray. K clearly does not desire to kill him. If they decide it ahead of time, there's no motive to switch to Ally.

For one, nobody benefits in that case, which is a lovely situation to be in. Furthermore, K is at 6, so if Tenmyoji allys and K betrays, he's at 9 and can leave.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
If we want to figure out what the deal is with the Nonary Game this time around our best bet is to go with Clover. We need her to trust us. What better way than to ally with her in the AB game? If she betrays, both Siggy and Alice are dead.

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
Let's go through a door with anyone except Luna. We've already gone through a door with her and she's pretty boring. I want to see what other characters have to say.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
All the options are pretty close now, so if you're reading this and haven't voted, go do it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rinaldo posted:

It's a translation error. In the Japanese version he says "Last time you and Clover chose to betray".

In that case, wouldn't he only want to go with Luna, since she was the only one of the three Solos who didn't betray? Odd that he'd single out K here. At least K mentioned he didn't want to go with Alice either.

Anyway, Option A is really the best choice - it keeps both K and Tenmyouji happy, it's likely neither Dio or K will win after the next round, and we have a good shot of allying with Luna and getting 7 points. Alice and Clover won't be as happy but it shouldn't be that hard to smooth things over with them.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

Furthermore, K is at 6, so if Tenmyoji allys and K betrays, he's at 9 and can leave.

I don't see how that's a motive for either K or Tenmyouji to Ally. That pairing is a stalemate, but it might be better than risking other matchups.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
I think we need to go with Option Clover here.

Why we should go with Clover: First of all, Clover and Alice are clearly very plot-relevant, and Clover explicitly mentioned that she won't tell us anything until she trusts us. This is a great chance to gain her trust if we ally with her in the AB game. We'll probably get to learn more about this "organization" this way. Secondly, this might be the only chance we get to see Alice and Clover in the same room together. We might be able to learn more about their relationship and how this game relates to 999. We'll might also find out exactly why Clover and K betrayed Alice in the first round - or at least Clover's version of events. Thirdly, now that we know that people with 0 BP will die, it's highly unlikely that Clover will choose to betray Alice. Fourth, both Clover and Alice want to be together, so that'll make both of them happy and more likely to trust us in the future.

Why Tenmyouji and Quark should go with K: For all that K seems untrustworthy, his reasoning as to why he doesn't want to be paired with Tenmyouji heavily implies that he really doesn't want to kill him. Which suggests that he'll choose Ally, in order to prevent that from happening. And more importantly, regardless of what K chooses, Tenmyouji will definitely not trust K and choose Betray, thus protecting himself from death. Quark will gain 3 points at that point, but I think that it'll be quite easy to keep the little guy in check. And also he won't want to leave until his grandpa does too. Unless someone kills him and takes his bracelet. The problem is what he just said about everyone HAVING to die here... does he know something about the epidemic? Like... if they all go out they'll get infected, or something? Regardless, his sentiments seem to indicate that even if he could leave, he won't because apparently he thinks they should all stay here and die. Walp.

Why Phi and Dio should go with Luna: Luna did say she wanted to go with Phi or Sigma. I think that Phi will try and choose Ally here because she won't want Dio to win; I'm pretty sure she'd much rather choose to take a hit herself than risk Dio getting out early and dooming the rest of them.

Ideal scenario with Option C:

Sigma/Alice Ally + Clover Ally = Sigma (7) Alice (3) Clover (7)
Tenmyouji/Quark Betray + K Ally = Tenmyouji (4) Quark (9) K (4)
Phi/Dio Ally + Luna Ally = Phi (7) Dio (8) Luna (7)

We'll probably start running into the problem of people being afraid of losing their 9 status after the next AB game, regardless of what option we choose.

KasaiAisu
May 3, 2010

Ask me about zoning laws in videogames
I also went with Clover. She's the only person we recognize from 999, giving the information she has to the rest of the party could easily lead to some new info popping up from someone else here.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Wolery posted:

Let's go through a door with anyone except Luna. We've already gone through a door with her and she's pretty boring. I want to see what other characters have to say.

I support this plan. Let's hang out with as many different people as possible.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

whitehelm posted:

I support this plan. Let's hang out with as many different people as possible.

We'll be going through this more than once, right? So we should get to spend time with everyone eventually. I picked the one that I think would make the most sense from Sigma's point of view.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Fedule posted:

What?
W-Wait, what?! Why me...?

If you don't want to, then maybe Alice or Clover can choose.
Or Tenmyouji or Dio or... anyone!
Once one person chooses, everyone else's decisions will be made for them.

Fedule posted:

Wh-What? Why me?

Please, just do it!
We don't have any time left!

Man, there is no way that can be a coincidence, so I hope we go with Luna this round cause I want to see what the deal is with her.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Maybe the voting is rigged or randomised, wholly or partly.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

beru04 posted:

Man, there is no way that can be a coincidence, so I hope we go with Luna this round cause I want to see what the deal is with her.

Maybe she just, I dunno, trusts Sigma.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

tiistai posted:

Maybe she just, I dunno, trusts Sigma.

Or Luna is genre savvy enough to recognize main characters on sight.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Or Luna is genre savvy enough to recognize main characters on sight.

It's not too hard, they're the only person to speak in bleeps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

beru04 posted:

I think it is a coincidence - Sigma is one of the only people not arguing, so she picked him to be an unbiased selector.

• Locked thread