Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Ahaha, found this on Reddit just now:

Boats are the new cars.

Man, the hero buildings and roads in this game are loving gorgeous.

Shame about everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CADPAT
Jul 23, 2004

For the men
to my left and right!
:hist101:
So the new amusement park has more buildings than all the other specializations put together basically?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Did EA do anything relevant in their E3 conference?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

What? no. It was all about new, unreleased games. The last thing they'd do at the biggest press conference of the year is call attention to their biggest biff of the last year.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Just a reminder: The Sims 3 wasn't actually ported to the Mac, it was simply shoved in a Cider wrapper and called a "port" and as such, it runs like poo poo. I don't know if Maxis has ever done a real in-house Mac port.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Is this correct?

• Happiness dictates the density of the building
• You increase Happiness by building parks

If this is true, do services also increase Happiness? Or are parks the only way?

Beige
Sep 13, 2004

triplexpac posted:

Is this correct?

• Happiness dictates the density of the building
• You increase Happiness by building parks

If this is true, do services also increase Happiness? Or are parks the only way?

Yes it's all correct and services do matter (as do taxes). It's a thing I need to work on because I've been increasing my population by excessive zoning rather than increasing building density. I see some beautiful cities with room to spare and a greater population than mine because they've handled density correctly.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Yeah I've been having trouble building my density up. I get factories panicking about not getting enough workers, so I just sprawl my residential out.

I've been able to get low-rise apartment buildings, but no big towers yet. Happiness is the limiting factor, I guess I need to plop more services. I have a fair amount of parks, I think

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sims get a happiness point whenever they fill a need.. get money from a job, buy something at a store, get educated, whatever. One of the population overlays will show little happy faces rise from buildings whenever the inhabitants get a point.

The built up happiness does decay.. garbage piled up, crime, basically any unhappy event will remove happiness.

Which means parks are completely optional. As long as you prevent unhappy events, density will go up. You only need parks if you want to raise land value.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Thanks, that helps!

6 months left in my coal supply, thanks a lot SimCity.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

uncle spero posted:

If you want to hear someone talk about concession stands in a video game virtual amusement park, but have it be awesome at the same time, Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkP530BOvMU

This video is the pinnacle of autism. The 'Spergularity', if you will.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

KillHour posted:

This video is the pinnacle of autism. The 'Spergularity', if you will.

Of course. It's Ullillia after all.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

VarXX posted:

Of course. It's Ullillia after all.

If you watch the entire video, do you come out autistic, or just suicidal?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

KillHour posted:

If you watch the entire video, do you come out autistic, or just suicidal?

Enlightened.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I know this stuff has been hammered into the ground, but I wanted to share my most recent experience with the game:

I have a city that's not that big at all, maybe 30,000 people. I haven't noticed any massive traffic jams or anything, things seem to be running smoothly. For some reason though, everyone is complaining about trash service, garbage piling up and not being picked up.

I check my dump: it seems to be empty. Ok, maybe the trucks aren't able to make it out to everyone? I add an incinerator and max out my truck garages, I have like 8 trucks now. I speed up the game and wait a while, people are still complaining.

I decide to follow a garbage truck. It pulls out of the garage, drives about 10 feet down the street, does a U-turn to pull into a factory. It pulls out, still completely empty, then returns to the dump and parks back in the garage. Huh.

Okay, maybe that was just a glitch. I follow another dump truck, who goes all the way downtown, passing all the buildings on the way. It stops at a red light, does a U-turn again, pulls into one building, and heads back to the dump empty handed.

Thank you Maxis, for this wonderful game.

Edit: And for the record I did not buy this game, my brother bought it for me because he really wanted someone to play with. I couldn't turn it down for free, I'm a weak man.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Sounds like a real-world accurate simulation of sanitation services to me.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Sounds like a real-world accurate simulation of sanitation services to me.

But does it have homeless Sims who rifle through people's garbage for cans and other scrap metal? Where are my old RCA TVs with the back part ripped off that sit on the curb for months?

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

KnifeWrench posted:

Looks like you can make it almost as small as you want. You plop the entrance, then all the rides are add-ons made accessible by pathways analogous to access roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOt8Iqd_foE
So... this DLC turns SimCity into Theme Park World?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

univbee posted:

But does it have homeless Sims who rifle through people's garbage for cans and other scrap metal? Where are my old RCA TVs with the back part ripped off that sit on the curb for months?

That's a pretty complicated agent system, the homeless, and is only available with the upcoming DLC pack "Cardboard Boxes & Alleyways", allowing a whole new dimension of piss-soaked narrow corridors between buildings and insane bearded Sims who smell like coffee and Thunderbird.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
I can't imagine actually using that theme park DLC. Hell, when I unlocked the stadium I went to place one, then just laughed as I saw it took like 1/6th of my available space.

What a silly game. Still, it's so close to being fun. It's just not intuitive right now, you get zones complaining about poo poo with no real indication on how to fix things, and all signs you can see point to there being no problem.

I had people complaining about no stores/parks, when there were stores & parks in their wealth bracket just down the road. What do you want me to do, sims?

Edit: I know these are complaints that have been aired a whole lot, sorry to not bring anything new to the discussion. It's just one thing to read about them, but it's another to experience it for yourself.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

triplexpac posted:

I can't imagine actually using that theme park DLC. Hell, when I unlocked the stadium I went to place one, then just laughed as I saw it took like 1/6th of my available space.

What a silly game. Still, it's so close to being fun. It's just not intuitive right now, you get zones complaining about poo poo with no real indication on how to fix things, and all signs you can see point to there being no problem.

I had people complaining about no stores/parks, when there were stores & parks in their wealth bracket just down the road. What do you want me to do, sims?

Edit: I know these are complaints that have been aired a whole lot, sorry to not bring anything new to the discussion. It's just one thing to read about them, but it's another to experience it for yourself.

I hope that you punched your brother for making you play this game, even for free, and then again for buying two copies.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

triplexpac posted:

Posts like yours where some poor, unfortunate soul discovers the horribly broken nature of this game are the best part of this thread! Don't apologize.

triplexpac posted:

It seems like the sim feedback system (or whatever you'd call it) is also... wait for it... broken. Like the bar for sending the player one of those messages is pretty low. One or two sims who are too dumb to find shopping a few blocks away? >> Trigger message! >> Protest in front of city hall!

I don't think there was ever a time when I didn't have those stupid messages popping up all the time and/or protesters, even in cities where I had 90% or higher approval ratings. Maybe you're just supposed to roleplay a sim mayor who has an alarmist personal assistant? It's for your immersion!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

kedo posted:

One or two sims who are too dumb to find shopping a few blocks away? >> Trigger message! >> Protest in front of city hall!

Now I can't stop picturing some little old lady with a protest sign saying "Take me to the mall!"

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Also, is the RCI still broken? I have people complaining about not being able to find stores, yet I have zero C demand.

I don't know why I bother asking "Is X still broken", of course the answer will be "yes"

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

triplexpac posted:

Also, is the RCI still broken? I have people complaining about not being able to find stores, yet I have zero C demand.

I don't know why I bother asking "Is X still broken", of course the answer will be "yes"

There is an easy way to find out:
If they say they have fixed something, it's still broken.
And if they don't mention a problem in the patch notes, it's still broken.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

There is an easy way to find out:
If they say they have fixed something, it's still broken.
And if they don't mention a problem in the patch notes, it's still broken.

Close, but not quite:

If they don't mention it, it's still broken.
If they claimed to have fixed it, they made it worse.

VotGs
Dec 15, 2003

Don't mind me.
I preordered Simcity. I wanted it so -bad-. I loved Simcity 4, and I imagined the new one would just be Simcity 4 with this superneat Glassbox engine and maybe some new stuff! I love games that I can set up to just run and run and run, while I do chores and other things. Like an electronic antfarm, something to watch, not micromanage.

So. loving. Disappointed.

And sadly, up until this game, I regularly bought from EA. I love Sims3, liked the Dragon Age games, enjoyed Mass Effect. There were -problems-, but I didn't really care about the Sims3 problems, as modding seemed to fix a ton of them, so no biggie.

And then certain games became Origin only, which was sincerely disappointing. I don't like Origin, it's clunky, argumentative and frustrating. But I can deal with that. And all the flood of DLC for the Sims 3 was also disappointing, because there was so little new content in the DLC that I couldn't justify spending the $20-$40. But hey, they do do sales, and when that happens, I'll get the DLC on the cheap (meaning, of course, I'm always at least two expansions behind, which is frustrating).

Simcity was supposed to save my confidence in EA. It -could- have brought me back into the fold as a regular purchaser from EA. I mean, I did splurge and preorder the Digital Deluxe version -back in September-, basically the instant I heard about the game itself.

And then all this. It makes me -sad-. I can't enjoy ANY of the 7 games (and oodles of DLC) that I own on Origin, because I can't even open Origin without feeling waves of disappointment and unhappiness. The only thing preventing me from closing my origin account is the Sunk Cost Fallacy--I may not play them, but by God, I paid for them, and they're mine.

And a few days ago, salt in the wound, they sent me an email announcing a sale. And I got -excited- for a brief moment. Ooo, brand new EXP for half off---wait, what the gently caress am I even thinking, seriously? Twenty bucks for University? gently caress that noise. No more of my money. NONE.

I set up a filter in my email account, everything from EA/Origin goes there so I don't even have to be reminded of how they rooked me pretty good, and sold me alpha build software at premium prices, and THEN tried to sell me DLC less than three months later, when the game BARELY works.

...and then when I'm feeling masochistic, I come back to this thread and see if I need to keep that filter on. Answer for the forseeable future? Yes.

P.S. EA, seeing ads for your Dragon Age: Inquisition that you're so cheery about, that's really loving annoying. I really, REALLY want to see the rest of that series, but I'd have to be dead drunk or high as a motherfucker to actually spend another cent to support your general shittiness.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

So there's a cheat engine hack out there that turns all lights green.

Trying to figure out cheat engine code injection was the most fun I've ever had playing this game.

*PUNCH*
Jul 8, 2007
naked on the internet

Croccers posted:

So... this DLC turns SimCity into Theme Park World?

Looks more like Rollercoaster Tycoon 3... down to the design on some of the rides/stalls. How is this even legal?

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

KnifeWrench posted:

Looks like you can make it almost as small as you want. You plop the entrance, then all the rides are add-ons made accessible by pathways analogous to access roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOt8Iqd_foE

I love how the two top rated comments are basically people telling EA to go gently caress themselves.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

triplexpac posted:

I know this stuff has been hammered into the ground, but I wanted to share my most recent experience with the game:

I have a city that's not that big at all, maybe 30,000 people. I haven't noticed any massive traffic jams or anything, things seem to be running smoothly. For some reason though, everyone is complaining about trash service, garbage piling up and not being picked up.

I check my dump: it seems to be empty. Ok, maybe the trucks aren't able to make it out to everyone? I add an incinerator and max out my truck garages, I have like 8 trucks now. I speed up the game and wait a while, people are still complaining.

I decide to follow a garbage truck. It pulls out of the garage, drives about 10 feet down the street, does a U-turn to pull into a factory. It pulls out, still completely empty, then returns to the dump and parks back in the garage. Huh.

Okay, maybe that was just a glitch. I follow another dump truck, who goes all the way downtown, passing all the buildings on the way. It stops at a red light, does a U-turn again, pulls into one building, and heads back to the dump empty handed.

Thank you Maxis, for this wonderful game.

Edit: And for the record I did not buy this game, my brother bought it for me because he really wanted someone to play with. I couldn't turn it down for free, I'm a weak man.

They never should have voted out Ray Patterson as Sanitation Commissioner.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

*PUNCH* posted:

Looks more like Rollercoaster Tycoon 3... down to the design on some of the rides/stalls. How is this even legal?

Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and this is not actual proper legal advice. I could be slightly off but this is my understanding of how this works.

You can't copyright specific concepts or things as abstract as "a computer game with rollercoasters in it." So long as it isn't called Rollercoaster Tyoon and doesn't directly copy anything from the game it's perfectly legal, especially if it's a totally different kind of game.

Think about it this way; if I paint a picture of a guy with a sword I can't say that I own the copyright on pictures of guys with swords but I can say I own the rights to this specific picture of this specific guy with this specific sword. If I give him some unique traits and then create Stinkus Maximus the Stinkiest Might of Mightiness then I own the copyright to Stinkus Maximus. Same if I right stories about Stinkus. I created him, he's mine. However, if somebody else came around and said "stories and pictures about stinky guys that are mighty are pretty rad, I should make them" I couldn't sue for that so long as they don't use Stinkus specifically or somebody that resembles Stinkus too much. I own Stinkus but I don't own the rights to all characters that are mighty and smell bad.

This is why there's so many Tycoon games actually.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

And really, it's EA.

They'd harvest your organs in your sleep to sell on the black market if they could find a way to do it easily.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

*PUNCH* posted:

:ssh: EA published Theme Park World, they're just recycling a game they published over 10 years ago as DLC right down to similar visitor/Sims/Peeps mechanics.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
And they bought Bullfrog, who made "Theme Park".

That and Theme Hospital are still some of my favourite sim games ever.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mister Macys posted:

And they bought Bullfrog, who made "Theme Park".

That and Theme Hospital are still some of my favourite sim games ever.
:siren: Extended Hospital DLC announced :siren:
Hire doctors and place treatment rooms.
Ambulances still circle the block and get lost.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

uncle spero posted:

If you want to hear someone talk about concession stands in a video game virtual amusement park, but have it be awesome at the same time, Try this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkP530BOvMU

:stare:

Nintendo needs to give this man a job. I want to see every individual hair on Mario's mustache and be given a canonical backstory to the circumference of Toad's head.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder
Rumor has it, the game has been cracked. Haha.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ninja fetus posted:

Rumor has it, the game has been cracked. Haha.

It has been, the 'crack' is a program that mimics the EA/Origin servers. By editing the Windows 'path' file, you can direct your computer at that local 'server' whenever it tries to connect to Origin or EA servers. Then the game gets info from the program thinking it's coming from EA.

I'm not sure how well it works sending stuff between cities since that is done server-side (right?).

Everything gets cracked. If it doesn't, there's just not enough interest in cracking it. Another reason why DRM is idiotic. You drive away actual customers and the pirates laugh at you because 95% of games are cracked wide open in a day, and the other 5% usually get cracked a while later anyway. All Ubisoft's online connection games were cracked, too.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The said thing is the game probably runs better if you run a server for your region on localhost.

• Locked thread