Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
Crossposting from the Making Games thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNT6mNhQbB0

Video of skeleton animation (via Spine) working in my engine, complete with aiming. It's really easy to modify the skeleton at runtime, which is going to lead to some fun effects. I can actually start making enemies / anything else that's supposed to be animated, since I'm awful at traditional sprite animation. Not sure what I'll work on next, maybe just some general tilesets and level design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyShrimpPlatter
Dec 18, 2006

It's me, I'm the
I added in some visual indicators to show how full nodes are in my energy system, and I'm incredibly pleased with how they turned out

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

I just pushed out another release of BeagleSNES. Among other things, it now supports:

... two gamepads for the BeagleBone Black. This might not seem like a big deal, but there are actually a family of community kernel patches that I needed to apply in order to support recovery from voltage noise from external hubs ("babble"), USB device discovery and enumeration, and hot-plugging. It wouldn't be a new release without a video, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMdrskg66bQ

I also took a gamble and started BeagleSNES as the init process for the kernel. That shaves about 8-9 seconds off of the system boot time, but it also makes the system completely dependent on that process. The init process never terminates, so if BeagleSNES quits, the kernel panics. But hey... it boots fast, so that's good, right?

Lumpy was kind enough to assist me by whipping up a scrollbar thumb that I now use in the game selection menu. Now you can throw as many titles in there as you like.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

hendersa posted:

I just pushed out another release of BeagleSNES. Among other things, it now supports:

... two gamepads for the BeagleBone Black. This might not seem like a big deal, but there are actually a family of community kernel patches that I needed to apply in order to support recovery from voltage noise from external hubs ("babble"), USB device discovery and enumeration, and hot-plugging. It wouldn't be a new release without a video, so here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMdrskg66bQ

I also took a gamble and started BeagleSNES as the init process for the kernel. That shaves about 8-9 seconds off of the system boot time, but it also makes the system completely dependent on that process. The init process never terminates, so if BeagleSNES quits, the kernel panics. But hey... it boots fast, so that's good, right?

Lumpy was kind enough to assist me by whipping up a scrollbar thumb that I now use in the game selection menu. Now you can throw as many titles in there as you like.

Good stuff. Any chance of scanning the ROM folder for entries and falling back to the filename if game-list entry doesn't exist for a ROM? It's annoying to create an entry for every game, especially since I don't care about the date/genre/ect.

Otherwise it's been working fine for me, and the documentation on your site is incredibly detailed.

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Salvador Dalvik posted:

Good stuff. Any chance of scanning the ROM folder for entries and falling back to the filename if game-list entry doesn't exist for a ROM? It's annoying to create an entry for every game, especially since I don't care about the date/genre/ect.

Those microSD cards are slow, slow, slow, so I avoid doing file system scans like that. What I should really be doing is making it even worse: make the end users place the ROMs and box images into a cramfs loop file and then mount the thing to pull everything out. That way, a scan like that will go much faster, since you're looking through the index of the file in memory, rather than hitting the disk over and over. Plus, you're pulling far less data off of the disk because it is compressed. But, I think that what I'll eventually end up doing is make a desktop app that builds the games.cfg and an archive file like that for you. Then you just drop the generated files into your system and be done with it.

quote:

Otherwise it's been working fine for me, and the documentation on your site is incredibly detailed.

Thanks! The documentation is about a version and a half behind at the moment, so I need to get it up to date. It is my hope that my docs will help out some other developers that are working on single-purpose multimedia apps like this. There isn't a whole lot of easy-to-understand docs out there for these platforms, and not everyone is up to picking through code to figure out what is going on, so I do what I can to help other devs out.

I received a mail earlier this morning from a fellow over at Texas Instruments. TI will be using BeagleSNES for a "large demo event" next Thursday:

The TI guy posted:

Also, just for your entertainment, I will have this running on a 46" LCD (capable of touch, but no use with SNES :) ) and got it to stretch to the full resolution. I'll send some pictures of the setup next week!

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
I've been learning Javascript and Canvas by doing little graphic effects apps. The one I'm currently working on attempts to simulate the glittering back of my Nexus 4 phone. What I'm doing is dividing the canvas up into "facets" with a random vector for each facet acting as a surface normal of sorts. I then use the mouse as a light emitter and figure out how much "mouse light" is reflecting off each facet. It looks pretty neat right now but has a defect which I'm sure is due to the naive way in which I'm calculating the light direction to each facet. I'm pretty sure I need to modify the vector subtraction to take into account which side of the facet the light is on.

You can see it moving here.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

DSauer posted:

I'm pretty sure I need to modify the vector subtraction to take into account which side of the facet the light is on.

This was pretty neat so I messed around with it a bit to hack in a "proper" point light and some gamma correction. I know crap-all about JS so I've no doubt cocked up in a number of ways but the main reason you were getting the weird anisotropic comet-ish shape was because the randomized facet normal components used range(0,1) rather than range(-1,1).

Edit: Also did a version were the facets are a brushed metal at random orientation by adding a ward brdf and randomizing the direction of maximum anisotropy rather than the surface normal, as I figured that (more actually microfacetty) model would be more like the real phone thingamabob than the randomly angled lambertians from before. The lack of dynamic range actually makes it look worse, though. Oh well.

Xerophyte fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 8, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

DSauer posted:

I've been learning Javascript and Canvas by doing little graphic effects apps. The one I'm currently working on attempts to simulate the glittering back of my Nexus 4 phone. What I'm doing is dividing the canvas up into "facets" with a random vector for each facet acting as a surface normal of sorts. I then use the mouse as a light emitter and figure out how much "mouse light" is reflecting off each facet. It looks pretty neat right now but has a defect which I'm sure is due to the naive way in which I'm calculating the light direction to each facet. I'm pretty sure I need to modify the vector subtraction to take into account which side of the facet the light is on.

The difference between my Chrome and Firefox is mindblowing on this.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
I posted screenshots for MrCashManager before but it is finally out on Google Play! Its target audience is people who have a hard time getting their money to last all month (like students), or people who just wants to know where their money goes. Been woking on it on and off since January so it feels good to have it out finally.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=budgetapp.main&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImJ1ZGdldGFwcC5tYWluIl0

Claeaus fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 8, 2013

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Xerophyte posted:

This was pretty neat so I messed around with it a bit to hack in a "proper" point light and some gamma correction. I know crap-all about JS so I've no doubt cocked up in a number of ways but the main reason you were getting the weird anisotropic comet-ish shape was because the randomized facet normal components used range(0,1) rather than range(-1,1).

Ah nuts! I didn't even consider that I was using only a quarter of the Cartesian space when calculating the faux normals. I like that you turned it into a three dimensional light; that opens it up to some neat effects and simulating different light conditions.

Sereri posted:

The difference between my Chrome and Firefox is mindblowing on this.

I normally write C++ code on Windows systems so the difference in implementations between browsers has been a real eye opener to me. I suppose it becomes second nature to worry about that sort of thing for web developers but I keep getting annoyed with the work arounds I need to write.

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!
I don't really know if this is the right place for this, but hey why not.

I spent the last day or so spending some time messing around with Flask and wanted to do some sort of chrome plugin as well, so I made a youtube extension that shows if a song is available on rdio or spotify (and I might add more similar services later).

Would anyone be interested in using this? Is it against anyone's terms of service?

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
I've been thinking it would be cool to set up a collection of D3.js visualizations on my website, and I've just put up the first one. The goal is smaller, more focused charts that I can do more of, for like a gallery. Click through for the animated/interactive version & source code, but here's a screenshot for the thread.

I'm pretty happy with it overall but I'm ready to move on to the next one. I will say that 1) I don't really like SVG 2) I REALLY don't like working with SVG text 3) D3.js is very nice for this kind of project.

Link

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Factor Mystic posted:

I've been thinking it would be cool to set up a collection of D3.js visualizations on my website, and I've just put up the first one. The goal is smaller, more focused charts that I can do more of, for like a gallery. Click through for the animated/interactive version & source code, but here's a screenshot for the thread.

I'm pretty happy with it overall but I'm ready to move on to the next one. I will say that 1) I don't really like SVG 2) I REALLY don't like working with SVG text 3) D3.js is very nice for this kind of project.

Link

Your y-axis (or your rotation direction) is backwards.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
I thought the same thing, but I remember that sometimes coordinates for images have their origin at the top left, making the positive for both values down and to the right. But 99 out of 100 people would say it's backwards and could hurt their experience with the interface due to their intuition.

hendersa posted:

I received a mail earlier this morning from a fellow over at Texas Instruments. TI will be using BeagleSNES for a "large demo event" next Thursday:

Too cool, man. I would like to see how they are demoing the device using your project, so post if you please.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Bahama.Llama posted:

I thought the same thing, but I remember that sometimes coordinates for images have their origin at the top left, making the positive for both values down and to the right. But 99 out of 100 people would say it's backwards and could hurt their experience with the interface due to their intuition.

The problem isn't which direction the positives are in, it's that the angle still goes counter-clockwise, when it should be going clockwise. The vertical value of 90º should be 1. Whether that 1 is at the top or bottom is up to you, but that's where the 90º should be, for example.

Bahama.Llama
Aug 17, 2006

Scary Money
Aaaah... I didn't click the link and was posting after only looking at the image. sin(90°) is 1 however you want to slice it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
This kind of 'game design' makes me feel like a kid again. Not technically a screenshot, but whatever:

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

A quick screenshot of the Mac port of Mari (my baby).

Oh and that's Phil Schiller showing it off with Pixar assets from Monsters University during the WWDC keynote reveal of the New Mac Pro. :clint:

They're really nice machines and It's been a very busy month.

forelle fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 11, 2013

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Orzo posted:

This kind of 'game design' makes me feel like a kid again. Not technically a screenshot, but whatever:

I should really just grab some graph paper. Sitting here with Unity and flow-prototyping is workable, but that would give it all so much more focus.

... I need a GoogleDocs equivalent to graph paper. ARGH.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

Bahama.Llama posted:

I thought the same thing, but I remember that sometimes coordinates for images have their origin at the top left, making the positive for both values down and to the right

The axis ticks are normalized to the center of the plot, but up is negative and down is positive which is opposite the traditional/conventional cartesian grid, which I was going for. Just like how all the angle values are reversed because in SVG angles increment clockwise, again opposite conventional unit circles. Fixed now :)

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this
What I'm working on isn't nearly as interesting as what other people post in here, but after recently finishing my semester, I decided to get node.js working and get a bot going to monitor a steam chat I'm a part of and collect a range of stats.

After much messing around I got the bot to a stable point, and started collecting data proper, but I figured it'd be a waste to just toss all that old data I got, so I then decided to build a front end to visualize it. I'm not a big fan of the chart plugin I'm using and normally I'd write my own using PHP and GDLibrary, but I figured if I'm already learning something new, I might as well continue learning. The end result was the following:

Members of the chat can also use !mystats in chat or message the bot directly, and it'll respond with a message containing a link to their stats once I put things live proper.
For now the bot directs members to something similar to this, and the front page gives overall stats for the group.

I don't really like highcharts, though I think it's more because this is the first time I've used it, and JavaScript isn't really my strong point so it felt really hacky to get things displayed,it was the easiest to get running quickly though, so I stuck with it.

Though honestly, I just love stats and being able to visualize them and this project has just been a terrible enabler for my addiction.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?
I missed Saturday, but the tech was done by then, dangit. Just wanted to make this fancy video.

(I hate stairs now, but the final approach is flexible and easy to use, so, time well-spent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8jPae10zN4

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

forelle posted:

A quick screenshot of the Mac port of Mari (my baby).

Oh and that's Phil Schiller showing it off with Pixar assets from Monsters University during the WWDC keynote reveal of the New Mac Pro. :clint:

They're really nice machines and It's been a very busy month.

Dude, nice. The in-depth demo of it was amazing.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Here's my latest:

http://liquid-software.com/blog/bitroamer/ Requires flash. I've finally stepped into using real-time blur distortion effects. Also since I'm a bad artist, I'm going to sidestep lack of art assets with cool glowing lines and effects.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Nothing like shaders to hide your lack of artistic skills and make even boring spheres look like something else.

They're even animated.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

lord funk posted:

Thanks! We are all so pleased that it went well.

I was terrified. :D

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

SupSuper posted:

Nothing like shaders to hide your lack of artistic skills and make even boring spheres look like something else.

They're even animated.

Are you making a Tron clone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbBqPkdheFg

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Sorta. We had to get creative and make some kind of "cyberspace" look, which I guess always turns into emulating 90s sci-fi movies. :v:

Here's a video of the whole group effort. Amazing what you can do with some cubes and spheres:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2YLCUXD74

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SupSuper posted:

Sorta. We had to get creative and make some kind of "cyberspace" look, which I guess always turns into emulating 90s sci-fi movies. :v:

Here's a video of the whole group effort. Amazing what you can do with some cubes and spheres:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8w2YLCUXD74

That really gave me vibes of Descent.

forelle
Oct 9, 2004

Two fine trout
Nap Ghost

lord funk posted:

The video of this session just went live. It's called Painting The Future.

First Time Caller
Nov 1, 2004

I'm working on a data logger / data viewer platform. I made a C# desktop app that makes it easy to configure an XML doc full of OPC servers and the loggable tags in each one. The XML document is fed into a windows service that I wrote which talks to the OPC servers (which pull tags from PLC systems) over COM and logs values to a SQL Server. You can view all of the data in the SQL database with a little PHP web application. Still need to work on securing and documenting all of it, but the basic features are there. It's really basic but it beats spending $16,000 for the brand name solutions.

First Time Caller fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 14, 2013

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Now, I realize that this probably doesn't look very exciting at first glance:

... but, there is actually an interesting story behind it. That is the BeagleBone Black running Android. The interesting part is that I've gotten the hardware to run Android 4.2.2 (Jellybean) with a 3.8.13 Linux kernel. Android has just became available for the BBB maybe a week ago via Rowboat, but it uses the 3.2 Linux kernel. For those that don't know, an Android kernel is actually just a Linux kernel with another 25k or so of Android-specific stuff built into it: out of memory manager, Binder IPC, etc. So, if you build in the extra bits, then whatever Linux device drivers are available in that kernel are available to an Android OS based upon the kernel. You can even build the extra Android functionality into your Linux kernel and still run it just fine on your Linux system. You'll have a few extra things hanging around, like a "/dev/binder" in your file system, but it will work without issue. OS hipsters can then brag that they run an Android kernel on their desktop.

The 3.8 Linux kernel tree went in a "different direction" than the "stable" 3.2 kernel and added a lot of new features and support for BBB hardware. It is also really broken (but getting better fairly quickly). It took a lot of time and swearing, but I managed to resolve the toolchain/kernel/patches/build script problems and got Android up and running under a (patched all to hell) 3.8 kernel. Probably the big selling point is that my 3.8 version uses all of the HDMI driver support in the 3.8 kernel, meaning that you can now hook your Android BBB up to your 60" HDMI TV and use it to display Android with the audio coming out of the TV.

The 3.2-based Android required a "cape" add-on board to be plugged into the BBB to drive an external LCD display and provide audio hardware. With my version, you no longer need the cape board (unless you want a touchscreen display). If you feel that the screen on your Android phone or tablet is too small, I now have one heck of a solution for your problem. You can plug a USB mouse and keyboard into the BBB to provide touchscreen and keyboard events.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jun 15, 2013

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Might as well throw a video in here of my Android image running on the BeagleBone Black!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeSt1Y7FhEs

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

hendersa posted:

Might as well throw a video in here of my Android image running on the BeagleBone Black!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeSt1Y7FhEs

So you made an OUYA, that is also a nintendo emulator, so it's better than an OUYA.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Tres Burritos posted:

So you made an OUYA, that is also a nintendo emulator, so it's better than an OUYA.
This guys got a point. Do you need any help?

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Tres Burritos posted:

The OUYA hardware has quite a bit more oomph than what I'm working with, but I suppose the concept is about the same. By goal isn't to make some fantabulous thing, but rather to figure out the difficult problems that keep others from using these platforms to do neat stuff. I spend a lot of time writing docs and talking on mailing lists and stuff because new projects are going to run into the same problems that I did. It is my hope that some of those projects are going to find something useful in the collection of things that I helped to figure out with all of my "screw around" projects.

KoRMaK posted:

This guys got a point. Do you need any help?

Man, I have no idea what direction I'm going in. I'm just doing stuff. :ssh:

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Edit: Removed. This was resolved a while ago.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Feb 11, 2014

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
To be fair, SNES emulators are popular (number #14 popular on the Google Play store), so it might just be a giant coincidence.

zeekner
Jul 14, 2007

hendersa posted:

I have to admit, my opinion of TI has suddenly taken a bit of a dip...

http://www.dallasnews.com/business/technology/headlines/20130524-texas-instruments-celebrates-the-geek-spirit.ece

Say... that project that the TI marketing director made sounds awfully familiar. Tsk, tsk. Somehow, I doubt TI is going to come through with their promised pictures of BeagleSNES running at their event. It wouldn't do to have their marketing director's name posted somewhere in the picture as the author. Oh well. I actually wouldn't have minded if someone had just come to me outright and said, "hey, this event is for 'TI employee' stuff only, but we like your project, so we'll just say one of us did it to sneak it in, OK?" Then again, it IS open source software, so he could change one line of code and call it his project. But maybe it's all a big misunderstanding, right?

Right.

Honestly, I'm kind of curious where he got the LED menorah project from! :jewish:

Don't take that crap, if he is taking credit for your work raise a stink about it. Everything about that situation sounds pretty scummy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hendersa
Sep 17, 2006

Edit: This is resolved, so I'm removing it.

hendersa fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Mar 11, 2014